InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragments ❯ The Opposite of Impulse ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: The Opposite of Impulse
Author: LuxKen27
Rating: T
Genre: Drama
Word Count: 250
Summary: “Nature is at work. Character and destiny are her handiwork. She gives us love and hate, jealousy and reverence. All that is ours is the power to choose which impulse we shall follow.” – David Seabury

Entry for: mirsan_fics Prompt #11, “Jealousy”

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Akiko gave a low whistle. “Wow, I’m jealous,” she sighed. “I wish I could have such a fine-looking shoulder to cry on!”

Sango smiled wanly. “Yeah,” she murmured, turning her attention away from her friend and back to the window. And I wish I could remember it. The girls were standing outside a bar, one of a thousand of its kind scattered throughout the city – but there was something different about this one.

He was here.

This wasn’t the first time she’d been back since that fateful evening, but she’d yet to walk through that door again, to greet this little hole in the wall that she’d happened upon on the night her life had irrevocably changed. Every night since, she’d come here, and every night, she stood at the window, staring in, watching him silently, confused…lonely…doubtful.

Her memory was hazy, at best; mostly she remembered crying, and hurting, and drinking until she was finally numb…but somewhere in there lurked other fragments: of dark violet eyes, of a quietly understanding tone, of solid warmth and reassurance. It was hard to reconcile those pieces of memory with the man she’d casually observed since – one who had confident control of his bar, who flirted shamelessly with his waitresses, who kept his rowdy patrons in line.

Was this truly the same place, the same man that she’d encountered? Or was it just an illusion?

Akiko grabbed the knob of the door before turning to look over her shoulder. “Well, Sango? Are you coming?”