InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragments ❯ A Change in Fortune ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Title: A Change in Fortune
Author: LuxKen27
Rating: T
Genre: Drama
Word Count: 2089
Summary: “He who would search for pearls must dive below.” – John Dryden

Entry for: mirsan_fics Prompt #12, “Blue” (2nd Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

He felt it, the moment she passed through the door. It was as if the world spun to a stop all around him, electricity crackling through the air as he lifted his gaze towards the door.

She’s back, Miroku thought to himself, unable to quite believe his eyes as the woman who had haunted his dreams for the past few weeks drew ever closer to his bar. And she brought a friend.

He cleared his throat, gracing his jabbering patron with a winning smile before excusing himself from the conversation. He made his way towards the taps, set in the straight center of the bar, keeping one stealthy eye on the advancing pair of women. The friend was leading the way, striding firmly in his direction, while Sango appeared to hang back a few steps, reluctantly allowing herself to be escorted. He couldn’t help the curious smile that tugged at the corners of his lips, wondering what swift change in fortune was about to announce its presence.

“Hello, ladies,” he greeted them, motioning for them to sit at the empty space to his left. “And how are you this fine evening?”

Sango’s friend gave him an appreciative once-over. “Not as fine as you,” she replied with a flirtatious smile, propping one elbow on the polished wood and resting her chin on her fingers.

Miroku chuckled, rewarding the forward flirt with a devastating smile of his own. She was pretty enough, with sparkling green eyes half-hidden under a curtain of dark brown hair. Her slightly upturned nose and pouty lips also paid complement to her heart-shaped face, and she was dressed in the first stare of high fashion. However, for all the show-stopping dazzle of her smile, his eyes drifted back to –and lingered on – the mysterious Sango at her side.

“What can I pour you tonight?” he offered, directing his question at both girls, though his eyes were steady on Sango. She sat rather stiffly, hands buried in her lap, eyes rather troubled and downcast, as if she was uncomfortable – so different from the last time he’d seen her, and yet…not.

“I want something blue,” her friend announced, breaking into Miroku’s thoughts. “And with vodka. Maybe a frosty variation on sex on the beach?”

It was all Miroku could do to keep from rolling his eyes. She was cute, but trying way too hard. “And for the lovely lady Sango?” he prodded, inclining his head to catch her eye. “Your usual?”

Finally, she looked up, surprise lacing her expression, causing his heart to clench as their eyes met. “You remember me?” she breathed.

“I never forget a face,” he confirmed in an easy tone, “or a drink order. Rum and Coke?”

She nodded, her mouth creasing into a small smile.

“One blue lagoon and one rum and Coke, coming up,” he said, turning towards the taps once more. He grabbed two highball glasses from the shelf, filling them both with ice in one sweep of his hand. He then proceeded to build the drinks, simultaneously pouring vodka into one glass and rum into the other. The flirty friend received a shot of blue curaçao liqueur for her desired sapphire color, and he mixed equal parts of soda for Sango’s drink. With one final glance towards the girls, now chatting quietly amongst themselves, he topped off the blue lagoon with a healthy dose of lemonade. That girl is going to need no helping finding a man, if that’s the company she desires for the evening, he mused with a shake of his head.

He refilled a couple of beers for the regulars before heading back to the girls, settling their drinks before them with a flourish. Sango’s friend gave him another flirtatious look as she took a sip, her eyes falling closed as she tasted the sweet, tropical concoction. “Heavenly,” she pronounced with a blissful sigh.

“Thank you,” he replied, amused, stifling a laugh when he caught sight of Sango’s expression. She was looking at her friend as if she’d grown another head, and that piqued his curiosity. He thought he’d spied them earlier in the evening, standing on the sidewalk, arguing or maybe discussing something. The friend must’ve done quite a bit of pleading to get Sango to come in, considering the fact that she’d been standing outside the establishment every night for the last few weeks alone, staring in with a mournful expression.

A slight pink tinged Sango’s cheeks when she realized he was looking at her again. Oh yes, he thought to himself, I know you’ve been watching me…making me wonder why you wouldn’t come in and speak to me again. I’m not that scary, am I?

“Miroku!” one of the waitresses called, “I need two cosmos, a snowball, and a margarita!”

He signaled to her, acknowledging the order, and moved off to make the drinks. The music was growing louder as the evening wore on, a mix of modern rock hits and old school electronica pumping from the stereo system. The place was filling up, just the way he usually liked it, but in spite of it all, he felt himself being pulled back to Sango. His attention never drifted far from her, hyperaware of the way she sat, the way she tilted her head as she laughed disbelievingly at her friend’s antics, the way her fingers drifted over the lip of her glass as she fell silent, deep in thought.

It was then that he noticed that she wasn’t wearing that huge rock of an engagement ring, and he couldn’t allow that curiosity to go unquenched.

“So your name’s Miroku, is it?” her friend asked when he finally had the chance to drift back down and refresh their drinks. “I’m Akiko.”

“Nice to meet you,” he acknowledged, giving her hand a firm shake before setting an even more diluted cocktail in front of her.

“Not half as nice as it is to meet you,” she returned, trapping his hand between both of hers.

Miroku cut his eyes to Sango, quirking a brow when she rolled her eyes. It was painfully obvious Akiko was into him, and it seemed that was bothering Sango. Maybe I can use this to my advantage, Miroku mused, turning his attention back to the preening girl in front of him.

“Tell me about yourself,” he said suddenly, plastering on his most winning smile as he addressed Akiko. “It’s not every day I have the pleasure of such lovely ladies gracing my barside.”

Akiko’s eyes widened momentarily, as if she hadn’t expected him to respond to her flirtations. As I suspected, Miroku noted, watching her expression settle into one of thoughtfulness. Nobody’s that shallow and oblivious.

“Well, I’m twenty-two – only a couple of months older than my friend here,” Akiko began, squeezing the increasingly-uncomfortable Sango’s shoulders. “I’ve just graduated from university, and am currently between careers.”

Miroku’s eyes traveled over her well-dressed and impeccably fashionable form. No doubt you have no need to sully those manicured hands, he surmised. I can sniff out heiresses a mile away. Which makes me wonder… He cut a swift glance in Sango’s direction. Last time, she mentioned her parents lived in Osaka – not exactly the hotbed of the financial elite.

“And how did you two meet?” he wondered aloud, lavishing an interested smile on Akiko once more.

“University,” she confirmed. “We’ve been friends for ages, it seems. We do everything together.”

“Oh?”

He allowed the suggestion to hang in the air, feeling no small amount of amusement when the thoughts finally clicked together and Akiko’s face flushed bright red. “Not everything,” she quickly amended, leaning closer to Miroku. “Look, my friend is taken, but I’m single and definitely looking…if you’re interested.”

“Thanks,” Miroku murmured, his eyes sparkling with mirth, “but I rather have my eye on someone else at the moment.”

“Maybe we should be going,” Sango cut in, grabbing her friend’s elbow and pulling the two of them apart. “It’s getting kinda late.”

Akiko’s smile widened as Miroku lifted Sango’s hand, examining the bare fingers. A spark of electric tension flowed between them – and if looks were anything to go by, she felt that wave of heat just the same as he had, judging by the faint blush of her cheeks.

“Looks like you’ve resolved your problems,” he observed, running his thumb over the smooth skin of her ring finger. “Told ya I was a good listener.”

Her flush deepened. “We’re on an extended break from each other,” she corrected. “It was only a simple disagreement.”

“As I recall…” Miroku’s voice trailed off as his eyes latched onto hers, studying her thoughtfully. “He wanted you to forget you even had a brother, instead of acknowledging he was missing?”

“Indeed,” she said sharply, “and I disagreed.” She averted her eyes, swallowing hard.

After a moment, her hand fell limp in his. “But it’s nothing we can’t work through,” she added, though it sounded as if she was trying to convince herself of that as much as him.

She withdrew from him, turning her attention to her lap as she foraged for some money, which she lay on the bar before grabbing her friend’s elbow once again. “I really think we should be going,” she repeated.

Akiko hesitated for a moment, shooting Miroku a furtive glance. At the same moment, one of the waitresses shoved a stack of order slips in his face, bringing him back to reality in a heartbeat. He took the papers, laying them out behind the counter in front of him, but looked up again before the girls could complete their escape.

“Wait!” he called, rounding the bar as they headed towards the door. He pushed through the crowds, catching up with them just as they crossed back out onto the sidewalk. “You have somewhere to stay?” It was stupid to sound worried over such a thing – obviously, they had somewhere to stay, some place nice, in fact, if their outfits were anything to go by – but he couldn’t help the feeling gnawing at his gut, the same feeling he’d had last time they found themselves on this very same sidewalk.

Akiko linked arms with Sango. “Oh, do we ever!” she enthused, wiping at the remnants of the blue cocktail that stained the corners of her mouth. “We’re in the Park Suite Rooms, at the Prince Park Tower Hotel.”

Miroku reeled at the revelation, suddenly wondering how two residents of one of the finest hotels in the city came to find themselves at his modest little bar, halfway across town.

Akiko’s gaze lingered on him for a long moment before she spoke again. “Consider yourself as having an open invitation to visit, anytime you please.”

It was his turn to flush at that; of the hundreds of times he’d been propositioned by a pretty woman, few had ever been so bald-faced as that – and in front of another girl, no less!

Another, far more intriguing girl, for that matter…

And suddenly, they were alone, Akiko shooting down the sidewalk to hail a taxi. Sango could only stare at the ground, looking for all intents and purposes to be totally embarrassed by her friend’s erratic behavior. No doubt this isn’t what she had in mind when she brought her along, Miroku surmised.

“Is she always like this?” he asked.

“No,” Sango replied, shaking her head. “Which is why…I can’t figure out…”

Her voice trailed off as her eyes met his, understanding dawning across her features. She cast a glance down the sidewalk, where Akiko was otherwise occupied, still trying to flag down a cab, before looking back at him. Her gaze was intense as she studied him, something warm and heavy and full of anticipation settling around them. His heart gained traction in his chest as he gazed back; it took every fiber of his being to resist reaching out for her.

“I’m glad you stopped by,” he finally said, tightening his grip on the doorknob instead. “Don’t be a stranger.”

She nodded, slowly; with each movement of her head, hoped eased through his chest. Dare he dream…?

“I’ll let you know…about my brother,” she said softly.

“I’d like that,” he replied. “I hope you find him.”

A horn blared then, shattering the tension that had blossomed between them. “C’mon, Sango!” Akiko waved from the window of the cab. “I don’t want to leave you!”

Miroku nodded, watching as she stepped off the sidewalk and slid into the waiting car. I don’t want to leave you, either, he realized, quite to his surprise.