InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Well, this is my last one to update. My Holiday gift to my reviewers was to update all my stories, and so here I am! This one is the hardest by far! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! By the way, I changed Inu Yasha's age to twenty-five.~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damn. I hate sun light, especially when it hits you right in the eyes early in the morning. Stretching, I turned over in the bed facing away from the window. As I was about to relax again, my eyes focused on a specific person in the room. I groan. "I thought you'd be working on that spell, Miroku. Why are you here so early in the morning?"

The monk blinked at me and smiled. "Inu Yasha. It's 11:45."

*Sweatdrop*

"Anyway, did you find anything?"

Miroku sat down in the chair and looked at me. "Well, not really. I did find a spell that allows her to wake up… but that is only for someone who's dead and you'd have to get their ashes. And even then, they're just a shell."

I glared at him. "That's pretty stupid. If you're already dead, just stay dead. There's no real point in coming back."

"I agree. So I decided maybe Kaede was having better luck and came here. She should be in soon to check on you anyway."

I didn't like the way that sounded. Not at all. As I was about to question him about it, well more like demand, the said person came into the room, just in time to spare his life.

"Good morning, Inu Yasha. How are we today?"

"Keh, same as yesterday. I did have a weird dream last night though. Maybe you know what it means, Kaede-baba."

The old hag sighed as she looked at me. "Are you never going to grow up?"

"It takes me awhile. Remember that."

Glaring at me, she turned and sat down beside Miroku, but made sure the door was closed first. "Tell me about this dream of yours."

I sat up and got into a more comfortable position. "Well, I was in Kagome's room…"

"Alright! Way to go, Inu!"

I glared at the monk and in one swift motion, he was down on the ground with those lovely little swirlies in his eyes. Stupid monk.

"As I was saying, I'm in her room and this guy comes in with long dark hair tied back. He goes to her body and asks if she's ready. After taking a closer look or something he demands to know who's been in there and threats that they won't be spared or something. He then slaps her and leaves." I turned to face Kaede and the awakened pervert. "What do you think?"

Kaede sat back and thought while Miroku went into concentration. The wheels were spinning in this room alright. Suddenly, the old woman sat up. "Well, I think you somehow were able to see what exactly happened that night. Kind of what Kagome does with her spirit, you did as well but was undetected."

My anger began to swell. "So it wasn't just an odd dream. That man was Naraku and he really did hit her."

"Yes, Inu Yasha. I believe this is true."

I could barely control the urge to jump out of bed and rip this guy's throat out right here and now. Then I remembered I had no idea where to find this guy. Sighing, I sat back against the pillow. "So what? We just wait for that Sango girl to come?"

"Well, I hope you haven't been waiting too long, hanyou." I glared in the direction of the door to see that girl walk in slowly, giving me a glare back. Apparently, whatever truce we had last night was broken this morning.

"Did you find anything out?"

Sango sighed as she sat down. "Not much. Naraku has a long list of felonies, but no one has been able to catch him."

"What has he stolen recently?" Everyone looked at Kaede at that. "There is most likely a pattern to his crimes."

Reaching into her pocket, Sango took out a notebook and looked through it. "How far back do you want me to go?"

"A few weeks before Kagome's accident."

Flipping through a lot of pages, she finally started to read. "He broke into a chemical plant and stole random chemicals. I don't have them listed here."

Thinking about his a moment, I realized the connection with that one. "That could be what's allowing him to keep her comatose."

Miroku nodded. "That would explain him coming to her every night. To refill the IV."

I shook my head. "He wasn't carrying anything like that last night."

Sango raised an eyebrow. "And how do you know that?" Rolling my eyes, I told her all about the dream and how Kaede thought it was real. The demon exterminator sighed. "I would think he would need to refill it now and then."

Kaede nodded. "Everything needs to be repeated in order to keep the patient healthy, or in this case, asleep."

"That's it then." As I expected, all eyes were on me at that moment. "If he needs to inject it into her now and then, logically wouldn't the dosage actually in her be low?" I waited to see if they could tell where I was going with this.

Finally the old hag figured it out. "Meaning that there's not as strong a hold on her at that moment."

"Exactly. If we could somehow prevent the bastard from giving her more, she'd have a better chance of breaking the spell." I was actually proud of myself for figuring that out. Planning things is not my strongest area, if you catch my drift.

Miroku nodded as he kept thinking. "How do you propose we delay him?"

Damn. Tiny flaw in my plan. I didn't have one. "Didn't think of that yet."

"Why not make presentable something he desires?"

"What do you mean, monk?"

"Did not Lady Sango mention before that this Naraku is after that jewel, what was it again?" Looking over at the woman, Miroku gave her a look asking for the name. I have a strange feeling he actually likes her. Don't know why though.

"Shikon no Tama?!? Are you crazy?!? We can't let up on security! Do you have any idea what that jewel can do?!?"

I noticed Miroku sigh, meaning he was going to try and explain his plan. "I'm not saying that. What if we made it seem like the jewel was available?"

I caught on to what he was saying. "A fake jewel."

"Exactly."

Sango shook her head. "The jewel emits this sort of light or power. Naraku would be able to tell if it was a fake."

"Not if you up-ed security."

Thinking this all over, I could see Sango slowly start to like the idea. Why was this stupid jewel so important anyway? Shaking my head, I looked on as we slowly came up with a plan. I would meet with Kagome tonight alone and ask about the injection. When I found that out, I could tell the others so they could set up the trap. Agreeing to this all, Kaede was the first to leave to see her other patients while I "forcefully" made Miroku keep looking through his books for some cure. So that left me and the demon slayer yet again.

We gave each other glares, stating we didn't trust each other at all. Well, that's not true. I had a feeling that I could trust her, but I wouldn't let her know that until I'm sure of her alliance.

She was the one to break the silence. "What are you really after, Inu Yasha?"

I looked at her as if she had three heads. "What are you talking about?"

"Why are you risking so much to help a human, a miko no less?"

Shaking my head, I looked her straight in the eyes. "I told you. I don't want to see her sad anymore."

"You're planning to use the jewel for your own purposes, aren't you?"

"The thought never entered my mind."

"But you're a hanyou. You could use the jewel to turn youkai."

"Keh, just what I need, to change and give the world a reason to smirk at me. I'd rather stay a worthless hanyou than become a fake youkai."

That seemed to strike a chord with her. As she got up, she gave me this weird look. "I don't know whether to trust you yet."

"Ditto."

That caused her to show a small smile as she left the room. So now I'm alone again. What the hell am I going to do until night now? Grabbing the TV remote, I flicked on the News. What else is there anyway? All that played was 'a demon did this' or 'a demon did that.' Eventually, I shut the damn thing off, disgusted. I took out her picture from under my pillow and looked at the cheerful, lively girl in it. I wonder what she was like before all this. Wait, why did I care? Shaking my head, I put the picture back and just looked at the window for awhile.

~Night~

Looking at the clock, I found it was finally 11:45, our usual meeting time. I sat up straight and waited for the girl to come. I didn't have to wait long at all for soon the spirit entered the room. "Evening, Kagome."

She smiled at me. "No friends this time?"

"Nope. We're all working on getting you to wake up. Which reminds me, we need to talk." I motioned for her to sit, which she did. Looking up at me expectantly, I began. "We figured out that in order to keep you in your sleep state, Naraku needs to keep injecting whatever it is he's using into you. Do you know when he does this?"

Seeing she was thinking about this, I waited as patiently as I could. Looking her over, I realized something. She looks exactly as she did in the picture. I guess her spirit is still that nineteen year old girl from before. I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized she was talking.

"Inu Yasha? You still in there?"

"Yeah, sorry. What did you say?"

Kagome smiled as she looked at me. "I said Naraku comes with the meds every other week."

"When was the last time he came with it?"

"Two weeks ago. Always on a Wednesday."

"That's tomorrow."

"I wouldn't know. The days seem to blend together." I gave her a sorry look as she just shrugged. "Why did you want to know? It's not like you can go up and stop him from giving me the injection."

Although that was very tempting, I figured I should stick to the plan. "We came up with a plan to delay Naraku from giving you the injection."

"Oh?"

"We're going to make the Shikon no Tama available."

That did not sit well with the raven haired beauty. Kagome shot out of the chair with a furious look on her face. "WHAT?!?! Are you insane?!? That is out of the question. I'd rather stay the way I am than let that jerk have something that powerful."

"Kagome, Kagome calm down please. It's not that. We're going to create a fake jewel in its place."

"Naraku would be able to tell right away."

"What if we added more security around it?"

"He still would be able to tell." Sighing, Kagome began to think for a moment. "Bring me the fake jewel when you create it. I can send some energy into it to make it seem real."

I sat up a bit more. "What do you mean? I thought you had no control over your body."

"I can still send some energy through. It will make me weaker for a while though."

I shook my head. "I don't want you to do something that could end up hurting you. I won't let you do that."

Smiling, Kagome gave me a soft look as she walked over to my bed and sat on the edge of it, looking directly in my eyes. She reached up with her hand and placed it on my cheek, holding it out so she wouldn't faze through me. Her face was close to mine as she smiled. "I appreciate everything you're doing, Inu Yasha. If this will help, I'm willing to do anything."

"Kagome…"

"I'm serious. I need to do this. As long as I'm asleep I can't do anything to help people. That's what I'm supposed to do with my life and my powers. If being a little bit drained is the only way to do it, then I'm willingly to give up some power to make this work. Besides, if you bring me the fake jewel in the morning, I'll probably be okay by the time you come back at night. I'll be fine, Yasha."

I was not just a bit shocked. Nobody ever called me Yasha besides my mother all those years ago. I could tell Kagome realized what she had said and she began to pull back from me.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

"No, it's okay. I don't mind. I mean, you can call me that if you want." What was weird about that was I meant it. It sounded nice coming from her. I suddenly felt trapped in her deep brown eyes, as if she wanted me to see her very soul, not just the shadow of a girl. I could feel myself be drawn to her, feeling the need to touch her. Reaching up, I went to touch her cheek as she had done to me, making sure I would faze through her. When did I start to feel this? I wanted to see her smile again, wanted to touch her and make her happy. What was happening to me?

Eventually I pulled away from her when a thought popped into my head. "How am I supposed to bring you the jewel in the morning? Naraku seals off the room."

Kagome smiled at me. "You said Kaede was a miko and Miroku was a monk? There is an old spell that counteracts others for a period of time. The person needs to go into a clear state of concentration and focus everything against the force. Depending on the person's concentration and spiritual strength states how long the spell will last. It should only take a few minutes to make the fake jewel seem real enough to fool Naraku. You would have to get out before the wall is up again. If not, you will be trapped on my side until night."

I nodded as I absorbed the information she was telling me. I knew that Kaede was pretty powerful, but I only seen Miroku do so called exorcisms whenever we needed a place to stay. He better not be just all talk or I'll have to beat him. "We can do it. Don't worry Kagome. This will work. I know it will. You're almost free."

The smile she gave me was indescribable. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, so pure and happy. Suddenly, that look was gone as she began to panic. I knew right away what that meant. "He's coming." She looked at me and nodded, sadness in her eyes. I sighed and reached out for her again in order to comfort her. "It won't be too much longer now. Keep as much power as you can so he won't be able to use it. You can do it, Kagome."

"Thank you so much Inu Yasha. I shall wait until you come."

"Good night, Kagome."

She smiled again as she got up to hurry back. "Good night, my savior." With that, she was gone.

I looked over and found to no surprise it was 3:30am. I looked back at where she had been and thought over what exactly happened. When did I develop these strong feelings for her? I still felt the need to actually touch her, to be able to have her by my side. Never have I felt that strongly for someone, not even with Aya. She was someone I thought I had feelings for a long time ago. I had admired her from afar, but when I got the courage to actually meet and talk with her, she screamed at my appearance, calling me a monster. Next thing I knew, I was running away from youkai exterminators. Sango must not have been in the same party. Aya seemed so kind and gentle to everyone, regardless of what had happened to them, so I had thought she would see me for the person I was on the inside, not a hanyou. That was a major shock for me that actually made me very cold to people. It had happened before my parents died.

Damn. I hate bringing up old memories. I shook my head to clear it when I reached under my pillow and pulled out the picture again. Kagome. I know I will do anything to free you. I would not be able to live with myself if I did anything less. I tucked her photo back in its place and relaxed into a deep sleep, seeing her smile as I went off into dreams.

~*~That's all for now. I remember what I wanted to do with this story now! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!!!! Ja ne!~*~