InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Sakura Festival Pt. II ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sakura Festival Pt. II

8:88:888:88:8

Blinking as he ran throughout the forest, clutching the soft bundle of clothe that he hid under his kimono, the little boy smiled to himself as the scent of his mother grew nearer, stronger . . . more comforting. Being naturally led to her, it didn't surprise him when he sensed his father. Laughing outright as his bright eyes sparkled, he sped up a little, bouncing off the branches of the trees with his small legs.
 
The forest belonged to him, recognized him, and playedwith him as he hurried home. He had scurried way past the boundary line that his father had marked---but this wasn't the only time he did it, and he had a perfect reason for doing so. Tightening his hold on his chest as the scent of his parents grew stronger;he slowed down a little just as they began calling his name.
 
Running behind them, he shrieked when his father tackled him, playfully nipping him on his shoulder and neck as his mother crouched low in the grass and snapped her fingers. His father immediately stood up, and he ran to her, noting how her bright eyes looked extremely sad. He held out his present to her, smiling when she picked him up and planted a large wet kiss on his cheek. "What did you bring me today?" She asked sweetly.
 
"I brought you a flower, Mama." He had said in a whisper, bringing his lips close to her forehead and kissing her softly. Kissing him again, she set him on his feet, and pulled him into a deep hug, pulling back and running her fingers through the hair that tickled his mid back.
 
"You are just like your father in so many ways."
 
"Is that good thing, Mama? Is it?"
 
She was almost to tears, and she gave him a bright smile, but it was false, tight. Her fangs glowed in the sunlight, her platinum hair flowing out behind her in waves as her white kimono hugged her figure as she stood up and took his hand. "It's a wonderful thing."
 
He looked up at her and gave her a huge grin. She smiled back just as his father swept them both up and began running through the forest with them in his arms. "I'll explain it when you are older."
 
'That was almost a century ago . . . what did she want to tell me? What was so important that that great sadness surrounding her. . .'
 
Walking through the silent forest, his simple presence made the animals and the forests itself quiver with fear. His nostrils picked up the scent of pure cold fear, and it made him---hurt.
 
He had been this way all of his life . . . it had come as a second nature to him ever since she died. When she died, he didn't know what to do with himself---especially because he was awaiting the death of his father . . . Running his fingers through his long silky hair, he caught a squirrel of the corner of his eye, a very young one, following him with curiosity. He turned around and pinned the young one with a cold glare, and yet it didn't flinch. It seemed to smile at him. "Do you not fear me?"
 
It began running through his legs, and crawling up his pants leg and shoulder, nuzzling against his face with friendliness he had been secretly yearning for. Taking the squirrel by the scruff of its neck, he placed it on the ground, and watched as it scurried off. 'You're not as big and bad as you want other's to believe.'
He snorted and began walking through the forest again, towards the sweet smell of fresh water, where the waterfall rang throughout his ears and brought him peace. Nudging the bushes aside as he came to the spring, he looked around eagerly as his youki began to scare off those that were around. 'What do I want other's to believe? Who---am I?'
 
He bent down and looked into the reflection of the water.`Youare the first born of InuTaisho. You are Sesshomaru No Taisho. Remember that.'
 
He reached down, ran his fingers across the crest on his forehead. It was just like the one . . . she had always remarked how he and his father always had the same crests . . . With a savage growl; he slashed his claws across his reflection.
 
'I am no one.'
 
The bitter feeling of rage and absolute lust for blood washed out of him quickly, painfully, and he stumbled and caught himself before he plummeted into the ice cold water. Giving another arrogant snort, he stood up and began to amble away.
 
"You are just like your father in so many ways."
 
'She was sad . . . she was going to cry when she said that---it was so long ago, but you can still feel the pain, can't you?'
 
"I brought you a flower, Mama." He had said in a whisper, bringing his lips close to her forehead and kissing her softly.
 
"Is that good thing, Mama? Is it?"
 
Her fangs glowed in the sunlight, her platinum hair flowing out behind her in waves as her white kimono hugged her figure as she stood up and took his hand. "It's a wonderful thing."
 
'She lied.'
 
'You have to find out what happened---what she was going to tell you. You have to find out just what was so bad that---'
 
'I need not do anything. This Sesshomaru does not care.'
 
'You are the tai-youkai, and as your job you respect honor; yet you cannot give the female that whelped you the knowledge that you cherished her memory? Do you not wish to see her again?'
 
Sesshomaru fell silent as his pace quickened and Rin's soothing scent drifted into his nostrils, followed by her soft and high pitched voice. The crackle of the fireworks erupted in the distance, causing him to wince and look up into the sky at the beautiful array as Rin threw herself against her legs, begging him why he took off and left her with Jaken. He simply spared her a glance.'Honor is something that all youkai must hold, whether full or half.'
 
'Funny---your disgusting, half-breed brother holds more honor than the great tai-youkai? How could that be?'
 
`.. . Silence.'
 
'You are truly a fool, Sesshomaru.'

8:88:888:88:8

Blinking as his bride began walking slowly through the village, her beautiful body hugged tightly by the wedding dress that she was wearing. Her long brown hair fell over her shoulders and back like waves of long silky tresses, her blank empty smile made her father shudder as he escorted her down the isle. Her arm held on to his tightly, an ice cold pain stung his skin, and as soon as he met the groom in front of the temple, he abruptly stood back.
 
Isamu stood, to the groom's side with his arms behind his back and he bowed respectfully as the groom took the bride's arm. The piece of clothe hiding her face did nothing to disguise the brightness behind her eyes. Something vile and evil was lurking about . . .
 
Isamu blinked, and she smiled warmly at him before shooting her husband a frantic look, wanting the ceremony to continue. After all was said and done, when the husband leaned down to kiss his wife, she held her fingers up and stopped him. He looked disappointed, and extremely agitated. "What is the meaning of this?"
 
She shook her head and laughed softly. "As my husband, what do you expect of me? What do you plan to do for the rest of my life?"
 
He nearly laughed in his face, and pulled her into his chest roughly. She gasped and tangled her fingers in his shirt, furious anger igniting a fire deep behind her gaze for a split instant before her eyes began to water, making it look like she was going to cry. "You are to clean, and take care of the house, as well as bare me healthy children to take our place when we pass on."
 
She looked hurt---or she wanted everyone to believe. She looked at her father, and with tears streaming down his face, he quickly turned on his heel, and walked away. With a simple pulse, the young girl gasped . . . the human left in her was quickly draining away the farther he walked away from her . . . and someone was enjoying all of this. "I . . . I won't marry you."
 
The man laughed in her face, and ran his dirty, large hands through her hair roughly. "My dear, dear Kimiko; your father has already given me the permission to wed you, with force if necessary. You are no longer useful to him. Come with me, and you shall live your life to the fullest." His eyes raked over her small form lustily. "I shall make good use of you."
 
She gave a short gasp, and straightened up. Hiking up her skirt just a little, she pressed her nails deep into his neck, paralyzing him and slammed her lips on his. His eyes went wide, and he gave a muffled scream as his life energy began to be sucked out of him and as she dropped down, his form dried up and exploded in a cloud of dust before her. She laughed and licked her lips as Isamu and the rest of the villagers ran for their lives. "You weren't supposed to take the energy for yourself." Someone said dryly as the people began slamming their doors shut.
 
Kimiko grimaced and dropped to her knees, sighing when a small, soft hand began patting her head. "Forgive me, M'Lady. He made her so angry---I thought she deserved to taste human blood."
Ayaka smiled and raised Kimiko to her feet, hooking her arm in hers and walking away. "Come---I have someone I want to introduce to you."
 
Kimiko was excited. It was evident as Ayaka mumbled a chant under her breath and they were soaring through the air. "Who, M'Lady? Who do you have to show me?"
 
"It seems we have found another lost, scared soul that will reign with us when I assume domination of the human race. She shall surely become useful to me, indeed."
 
"M'Lady."
 
Ayaka smiled softly as her now blue hair flowed freely behind her, blanketing her and Kimiko. 'The time . . . has come.'
 
She smiled as her hair grew longer in length, her face maturing as the sunlight bathed her whole figure. She grew taller, a little thicker, and her eyes and lips were fuller. Kimiko gasped as she began to grow, as well, but not as much as her master.
 
Ayaka smiled and kissed Kimiko. "We . . . have matured."

8:88:888:88:8

Miroku paced back and forth as Sango lay in front of him, a sweaty mess as her eyes opened once again and she stared at him with childlike wonder, before her eyes filled with hate and she tried to attack him again. The ropes secured her to the ground, and she switched tactics again, this time tears pouring down her face when she begged him to release her. He was close to tears himself, especially when she ground out the words he never expected to hear from her. "I hate you, Miroku!"
 
The words stung him deep---though he knew she wasn't sane the moment she said it. It made him bleed on the inside, want to flee and never return---yet he couldn't leave her side. Was he foolish? Hopelessly stupid? He didn't know; but what he did know was that he was going to stay by her side until the very end. InuYasha and Kagome stormed inside, and Kagome immediately dropped to her knees next to Sango.
 
InuYasha laid his hand on the small of Miroku's back, and shooting Kaede a nervous glance, pushed him out of the hut, and a little distance away. He opened his mouth to say anything but InuYasha's sharp growl cut him off. "What the hell happened? I smelled your fear like 3 fucking miles away---Kagome made me run like hell to get here to find Sango screaming like a rat crawled up her---"
 
Miroku sighed and ran his fingers through his hair as he dropped onto the floor and crossed his legs, trying to uphold his cool demeanor. "We were just . . . watching the children play when she just---snapped."
 
"Snapped? What the fuck you mean snapped?"
 
"I don't know---we were just sitting there, talking. And I asked her to . . . I told her I wanted to . . . and then her just . . .”
 
InuYasha sighed and dropped down beside his friend, sniffing the air to make sure before he began talking. "Well, if it makes you any better, Isamu sent a messenger telling Kagome he needs her to leave the village at the break of dawn because there was another murder. Do you think it was connected?"
 
Miroku shrugged. "I mean---nothing unusual happened, right?"
 
InuYasha snorted and jammed his hands into his sleeves. "Except we passed out as soon as we walked into the fucking room. Oi, did something seem strange to you about that?"
 
"We passed out InuYasha, that's not nor---"
 
"I know that, bastard! I mean anything else that was strange? Did you feel anything, or sense anything?"
 
Miroku looked confused, and it was evident as he scratched his chin. He did this for a couple of minutes until he snapped his fingers. "I remember---I felt all the emotions I've ever felt---"
 
"Ever felt for what? What aren't you telling me lech?"
 
Miroku stood up and waved his hands in the air as his face turned a dark color and he squeezed his eyes shut, forcing a bright grin. "Nothing---it's nothing."
 
InuYasha raised his eyebrows as Miroku winced when Sango began crying. He turned to storm into the hut, but InuYasha caught his wrist and pointed next to the bamboo mat. Miroku sighed and followed his instructions, sitting down as InuYasha walked inside.
 
InuYasha wished he hadn't walked inside. Sitting next to Sango with tears streaming down her face, Kagome had her two fingers placed on Sango's forehead, mumbling something InuYasha couldn't hear with Kaede watching nearby. Sango was screaming with what seemed like agony, and Kagome winced but didn't falter. "K'Gome?"
 
Kaede held out her arm to stop InuYasha. "She . . . has to do this. She is the only one that can help Sango."
 
InuYasha opened his mouth to call out again when blood began dripping down Sango's forehead, and a crest formed on her head. Her scent changed into that of something familiar, before Sango gave off another scream as Kagome lifted her fingers, bringing up a substance that looked like a small spirit with her fingers.
 
Sango passed out as the substance escaped from Kagome's fingers, and the crest on Sango's head stopped shining and disappeared, leaving a small pool of blood in its wake.
Kagome sighed and began using the sleeve of her shirt to clean up the blood, whispering apologies when Sango began to stir and opened her eyes. Kagome looked away quickly, unable to face her friend as she cleaned her up.
 
"Kagome? What happened?"
 
Kagome didn't say anything. She just held an empty, blank expression on her face as she wrapped beads around her hands and closed her eyes.

8:88:888:88:8

Sango laughed as she fingered the beaded necklace around her neck three days later. She was completely unharmed, and seemed not to remember what happened---well, at least much of it. She seemed perfectly happy and energetic, but Miroku seemed hurt by her change. The Sakura Festival had finished itself out, and there were a couple of men InuYasha had to give a couple of punches to the gut because they had gotten drunk and were doing some pretty stupid things. But now they were on their way back to the Kuwabara residence to try and figure out what happened on the wedding night of Kimiko Kuwabara.
 
Sango sighed and rubbed her face in Kirara's fur. Kirara mewed as she soared through the sky, keeping an extra lookout since Miroku had fallen asleep. "Do you remember what happened? When I asked Miroku---he just looked away and wouldn't open his mouth."
 
Kirara shook her head and landed just as InuYasha and Kagome stopped. Kagome gave InuYasha an angry look, before darting off into the trees. InuYasha held a bored look, even as Sango tapped him on the shoulder. InuYasha gave her a look, before turning around and pinning her with a dark look. "What?"
 
"Do . . . you remember what happened?"
 
InuYasha blanched a little as Kagome's shriek was heard and a little thump, meaning she must have fallen. He bit back his laughter for a split second, and gave Sango a serious look. "Do you?"
She shook her head and flushed lightly, looking a little ashamed as Kirara trusted her head onto Sango's palm. Sango stroked her fur, still watching InuYasha; looking hopeful for answers. He shot Miroku a panicked look, which the monk clearly ignored. Kagome reappeared, looking a little lost. Climbing onto InuYasha's back with more difficulty Sango suspected was necessary, she suggested dryly that they'd get going. Sango looked a little confused, but with no more than a shrug, she hooked her arm in Miroku's, and helped him to walk.
 
Kagome sighed and laid her chin on InuYasha's shoulder. "Do you think . . . I should tell her?"
 
InuYasha shrugged as Kagome's sad aura began to affect him too. "I think you shouldn't do whatever you don't want to."
 
Kagome twirled her fingers in his hair, looking thoughtful and puzzled. "That's the thing. It isn't about what I want to do . . . it's about what I need to do. I have to tell her what I did. Right?"
 
"I don't know, Kagome."
 
She tried to smile. She really did. It didn't work very well. "You're not very much help, you know."
 
InuYasha tried a new tactic to get her to cheer up. Ignoring the voice that told him he was completely wrong for doing this, he quirked his ears, and when she fell silent and one of her arms left his neck, he knew he had her reeled in. "Oi! What are you doing?"
 
She giggled and reached again. "You know that you want me to rub them. So---keep---still!"
 
"Oi! Hands off, grabby!"
Kagome giggled then laughed as InuYasha sped up a little bit, swinging her around and cradling her on his chest. "I don't want to---but I have to."
 
"Why do you think that you have to?"
 
She sighed and dug her fingers into his haori. "I mean---it'll be the right thing to do, right? You guys are the only---family---I have, and I don't think I can bear living with the knowledge I'm the reason that---"
 
InuYasha's frustrated sigh cut him off. "What you did that night was what she needed. Sure . . . it must have hurt you more than it hurt her, but it was the only way to keep her from falling under, right? I think she would be . . . I think she would be glad that you did it."
 
Kagome leaned forward and grabbed his rosary beads. "I think . . . I think I'll take these off."
 
She tried to pull them up and off, but he snorted and dropped her right on her bottom. "Oi! These are mines!"
 
She yelped with surprised and jumped on her feet, still rubbing her bruised bottom."Hey! I thought you hated when I said 'it'!"
 
"I do! That doesn't mean that it gives you the right to take what's mines!"
 
"But I gave it to you! I can take it back!"
 
"Really? Then how would you like it if I took the ring back!"
 
"It's not the same!"
"I love this kotodama rosary as much as you love that damn ring, wench!"
 
Kagome fell silent as her cheeks blew up in anger and she reached for the beads again. InuYasha growled and reached for her, tossing her over his shoulder and stomping away.
 
'Mission accomplished. Old Kagome is back.'
 
He smiled to himself as Kagome screamed at him and pounded against his back, temporarily forgetting all about her sadness.

8:88:888:88:

"What do you mean she has to do it?"
 
Kagome flinched as InuYasha's angry bellow echoed around the small hut. Perspiration mixing with her tears of apology as she gazed at her half-conscious friend in front of her, she dreaded what she had to do---but it was the only way to keep Sango from going under.
 
"This is the only way! Think of it like your rosary, InuYasha! We don't know if she's been fully exorcized, or---"
 
"I don't give a hell! Tell Kagome to stop! Look at her!"
 
Kagome choked back a broken sob as she began the chant. InuYasha was stilled bickering with Kaede, as the old woman had predicted as Sango's body was illuminated by Kagome's aura, and her body wereslightly lifted off of the ground. After InuYasha had silenced, she nodded her head once when her eyes locked with Kaede, and the rosary beads began forming around Sango's neck . . . and one fang with Kagome's blood hovered above the crest that was beginning to show through her skin . . .
Kagome shuddered at the painful reminder as the moon hung high above. Sango was sleeping soundly, her new 'necklace' giving off a youki that made the hairs on the back of Kagome's neck stand. She rolled out of her covers and reached over to wake Sango. 'I have to tell her---'
 
"Oi! What the hell are you doing awake?"
 
She nearly screamed when he landed behind her, pinning her back with a cold glare that she knew he was just teasing her with. She brought back her hand quickly and threw it under the covers as if she had just taken something. InuYasha saw this and decided to ignore it. "Nothing . . .”
 
His gaze softened, and he looked sad, lost. "You were getting ready to wake her and tell her, weren't you?"
 
Kagome jerked her head once as InuYasha hunkered down beside her. She laid her head on his shoulder. "I just . . . I think that she should know. I think she deserves to know---"
 
"But you're scared she's going to hate you, right?"
 
Kagome nodded and bit her lip as the same wash of pain ran over her once again like a wave of ice cold water. "I don't think she will . . . but I'm positive she'll be upset with me."
 
InuYasha sighed and quirked his ears when something rustled in the bushes. "I . . . I know how you feel. You do something for somebody, but when you want to come clean, you're scared they are going to hate you. But . . . sometimes you have to tell them anyway, before it's too late. They can move on without knowing the truth."
 
"InuYasha?"
InuYasha grinned softly before pushing her in the middle of her chest to lie back down, him sprawling out beside her. "Go to sleep, wench. I'll wake you up when I'm ready to leave."
 
She yawned. "When you're ready to leave?"
 
He chuckled and nuzzled his face against her cheek. "Right. I call the shots."
 
Kagome closed her eyes, but then they snapped right back open when InuYasha broke into the most savage, furious, blood thirsty growl she had ever heard him issue. And it . . . it scared her. He tightened his arms almost painfully around her waist. She whimpered, and it instantly loosened slightly, but not enough for her to get away. This time, she turned her back to him, causing it to be smashed against her chest as a form hustled out of the bushes.
 
Kagome nearly groaned as the two brothers gave off another growl that didn't frighten her as well as InuYasha's did. Sesshomaru's lips curled back into a vicious snarl, and InuYasha returned the greeting as InuYasha started to get up. Kagome pressed her hand on his back and grunted, causing them both to silence. "Sesshomaru? What do you need?"
 
Sesshomaru spared InuYasha another long glance before his cold eyes fell to Kagome, where they seemed to ignite in outrage---which he hid fairly well. "I need answers."
 
InuYasha looked completely annoyed by this statement, and he narrowed his eyes as Sesshomaru continued to stare at Kagome as if he expected her to do something. Kagome stared back, and for a moment InuYasha thought---"Oi! Don't do that!"
 
Sesshomaru blinked and looked away from Kagome quickly as InuYasha forced her to roll behind him and he growled the same growled that made Kagome want to crawl away and hide. Sesshomaru returned the favor, and once again Kagome tugged on InuYasha haori to silence him. "InuYasha? What's making you so angry?"
 
InuYasha's eyes flashed. "That hella nasty son of a---"
 
"I wish to use Kagome."
 
Kagome gasped as InuYasha hopped to his feet and unsheathed Tetsusaiga. Lunging at Sesshomaru his rage blinded him to the point he didn't hear Sesshomaru sigh until Kagome started scream. InuYasha stopped mid-attack as something dawned on him. 'He . . . he didn't move?'
 
He brought his sword down, dropped it back in his scabbard, and struck Sesshomaru across the jaw, sending the youkai flying back and hitting the ground with a hard thump. Kagome gasped behind him, and InuYasha watched in shock as Sesshomaru stood up, and simply looked at him with a bored look. "Are you finished?"
 
InuYasha opened his mouth to say something, but Kagome warping past him and in front of him stopped him. Her arms thrown behind her and around his waist surprised him, as well as pleased him as Sesshomaru looked sincerely surprised---and disappointed. Sango and Miroku ran in front of Kagome, holding their weapons. Sesshomaru held up his hands when Sango prepared to attack. "I seek answers. I value spilling your blood no more."
 
Kagome stepped forward and folded her hands behind her back. "Really? May I ask what you seek answers for?"
 
Sesshomaru pointed to Sango without a second glance. Bringing his lips back in a snarl, he seemed hesitant, nervous as all followed his hand. "That spell. Where did you learn it . . . and who taught it to you?"
 
Kagome gasped and swayed a little as Sango looked at her with a confused look on her face. "Spell? Kagome? What's going on?"

8:88:888:88:8

A/N
Well, I'm sorry it took so long, but I had to edit some parts out for the better of the story.