InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Beloved Jewels ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Beloved Jewels
 
8:88:: 888: 88:8
 
Sesshomaru shifted as Rin slept happily in his mokomoko-sama. She stirred softly and pulled it closer around her, digging her face into the soft fur and going back to sleep contently. “You already know, don't you?”
 
 
 
After Kagome had decided that they'll stay in Kaede's hut until further notice, Rin decided she wanted Sesshomaru with her, and after an hour of arguing, Kagome finally gave up. InuYasha decided he'd stay as well, and they ended up sleeping in the hut anyway.
 
 
 
Kagome's eyes were darkened from her sleep state. She had managed to slide next to him without him noticing, and he snorted as InuYasha, who was surprisingly sleeping peacefully, turned over and sighed. “Who doesn't know? It's amazing how the pathetic human is able to tell everybody but me.”
 
 
 
“It's easier, really. For us girls, anyway.” Kagome sighed and twisted a lock of her hair around her finger. “So what are you going to tell her?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru's nose flared as he looked back at Rin. She was innocent and her shiny hair glistened in the firelight. A human, she might be . . . but she was also precious, to him, wasn't she? “She is but a child. I can't promise her something like that.”
 
 
 
“A human heart is a fragile thing,” Kagome said without much thought.
 
 
 
“But the will to live surpasses all that, I think.”
 
 
 
“But when you found her, she didn't have the will to live. She owes you her life, you know.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He narrowed his eyes at the miko and sniffed her casually. “You reek of the hanyou.”
 
 
 
She wrinkled her nose and smiled genuinely at him. “You're terrible at changing the subject, did you know?”
 
 
 
He shrugged and drummed his claws on his chin. “Why do you even bother? I seem to recall you threatened to kill me.”
 
 
 
“That was when you thought---“ She cleared her throat when her voice faltered. “When you thought you had feelings for me. But I think you misunderstood them. Maybe a deep respect?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru snorted, but shrugged, looking over Rin once more before tightening mokomoko-sama over her tiny body.
 
 
 
What was he to do? The human heart was a fragile thing, and if he denied her request, she would be torn. He knew since he first revived her it would be easy for her to fall ill . . . and maybe even die. But under his close watch the most she ever caught was a cold. But this would be something far worst. . . And he doubts she'd have the will to do anything with himself.
 
 
 
When she grew older, what was he going to do with her? He knew he wouldn't be able to throw her out, but living with her had become harder and harder with each passing day. So he relished in her company while he could . . . pushing off the rising dread until it came time for it to really matter.
 
 
 
“I can't promise her such a thing. My honor---“
 
 
 
“Your honor this, your honor that . . . think about what you want for a change.”
 
 
 
“But---“
 
 
 
“Think about it. Your father died for InuYasha's mother . . . she might not have been yours, but she loved you just the same. Whether you don't like it or not, the compassion for humans that your father possessed is running through your blood also.”
 
 
 
“So what will I tell her? Rin is . . . I want her to be happy. But . . . this Sesshomaru . . . doesn't know what to do.”
 
 
 
Kagome smiled and patted his arm. “If you can't promise her your heart . . . give her something of equal value. It might not be what she wants . . . but you know in a heart I know you possess that it means more than she'll ever comprehend.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru nodded as InuYasha sat up and grumbled. With a quick hug, Kagome rolled her eyes and hurried over to him, allowing him to drape his haori over her and pull her into his lap. He looked at Sesshomaru for a moment before allowing his eyes to drift closed with Kagome in his arms.
 
 
 
“If you can't promise her your heart . . . give her something of equal value. It might not be what she wants . . . but you know in a heart I know you possess that it means more than she'll ever comprehend.”
 
 
 
`Something of equal value . . . that she'll never been able to comprehend.'
 
 
 
`Before you do that . . . get what you must done. Then you can worry about everything else . . . and Rin.'
 
 
 
`Her birthday is tomorrow . . . I usually allow her to ride on my back the whole day. What about this year?'
 
 
 
“If you can't promise her your heart . . . give her something of equal value. It might not be what she wants . . . but you know in a heart I know you possess that it means more than she'll ever comprehend.”
 
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
The morning air was sweet and carefree. Kagome stood on the tip of her toes and stretched, shuddering when her belly was gently tickled by the chilly morning air. She pulled the haori closer around her and took another deep breath, frowning when Sesshomaru sauntered back towards the hut with a look like he was deep in thought. “Did you think about what I said?”
 
 
 
He nodded grimly and looked off into the distance. His eyes looked dull and tired, and she noticed that he didn't have his legendary sword on his side. She smiled to herself and sighed when she heard InuYasha grumbling and the familiar stomping announcing his arrival. “Didn't I tell you not to disappear like that?”
 
 
 
Kagome turned and regarded him with a sleepy smile. “You were sleeping so peacefully, I didn't want to wake you.”
 
 
 
He snorted and looked at Sesshomaru, nodding his head once in greeting. Sesshomaru returned the gesture as he looked at InuYasha. “I have to set out to obtain Rin's gift. Would you mind hunting for breakfast?”
 
 
 
InuYasha shrugged and flattened his ears. Kagome giggled and yawned loudly, catching out the corner of her eye InuYasha's amused grin. He still looked a little tired, but he nodded and rolled up the sleeves of his undershirt. “Yeah, sure, whatever. Kagome, I think you'd better be here when she wakes up.”
 
 
 
“Inform her that I have departed to recover her gift.”
 
 
 
Kagome nodded and went back inside of the hut as Sesshomaru stood and him and InuYasha began heading towards the exit of the village. They were silent for a couple of minutes, Sesshomaru's nervous youki battling InuYasha's tired one, and after a while it began to irritate them both.
 
 
 
InuYasha flattened his ears and broke out into a grin. Sesshomaru flexed his claws and was looking into the distance with narrow eyes. “What's your problem?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru flinched and calmed down. “Nothing. This Sesshomaru has nothing to worry about, half-demon.”
 
 
 
InuYasha scowled and snorted. “Well excuse me for trying to help you. Bastard.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru growled at him but made no attempt to insult InuYasha even further. He took a sharp turn at the pond and began walking through the bushes, flinching when they began snagging at his clothes. He had been here a couple of nights, and something had caught his interest.
 
 
 
A small hut stood in the middle of a patch of flourishing flowers. It was completely at odds with the hut that had been burnt down years ago. Vines were beginning to grow on the burnt hut, and the flowers looked as healthy and strong as they had before the people that lived there had died.
 
 
 
It was going to be winter soon---which meant most likely they would die and come back next spring. They smelled sweet, but their fragrances were fading, and with a sigh he kicked open the hut.
 
 
 
He had been here before. It had been a long time, because he usually didn't stray too close to InuYasha beloved village, but he hadn't been able to ignore the soft glint that he was receiving every time the sun landed on a small pot in the middle of the room.
 
 
 
There were the fading scent of dying youkai and those that had been injured in the hut, and he wrinkled his nose. They were all blending together and it was making his nose numb. Stepping over corpses and half-eaten bodies, he put his sleeve over his nose and continued straying inside.
 
 
 
He kicked over a small table, revealing a little area where the ground could be pulled up. Inside were various jewels of many colors, and thinking about it for a moment, he ripped a large piece of his sleeve and began dumping large portions of jewels into the fabric.
 
 
 
He thought about it for a moment, and put a little back. Dead or not, the people that lived here still cherished these jewels and he shouldn't take any that wouldn't be put to use.
 
 
 
He tied the fabric tightly and stuffs it into his pants. Then he closed the hatch and put the table back over the secret area. He felt lightheaded, and he quickly hurried out of the hut, closing the door back and staring at it for a moment before leaving.
 
 
 
Why he even bothered? Rin loved anything shiny. It would keep her occupied for days, and she never grew tired of staring at it. And it would mean that much more to her if she gave it to him, right? He sighed when he approached the pond as InuYasha struggled to gut the fish. He looked pale and his hands were shaking, and taking one sniff of his brother, he knew InuYasha had fallen ill. A cold maybe? It was evident his senses weren't working, since he didn't even bother to comment on Sesshomaru's appearance.
Sesshomaru took out the fabric and sat down next to InuYasha, taking a small handful and dipping it into the water, washing it. They were very dusty and dirty, and he knew better than to give Rin anything that was dirty or previously had guts on it. “So that's what you are going to get here?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru sighed. “Rin is a strange young human. She could stare at this for days and never lose interest.”
 
 
 
InuYasha cracked a grin. “Kagome'll cry about it for a couple of days. Weepy wench.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru nearly smiled as he placed the wash stones in his lap and took another handful. They worked in silence, InuYasha cleansing the fish and Sesshomaru the precious stones as the air warmed a little and began to blow a little harder.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru tied the stones back up and stuck it into his pants, and as InuYasha gathered the fish in his arms; they began walking back to the village. InuYasha wasn't stomping for once, and Sesshomaru was grateful for that.
 
 
 
Rin threw herself at Sesshomaru as soon as he entered the village boundaries. Kagome was chasing after her, her face rosy with excitement as she stopped and bent over to catch her breath. “Lord Sesshomaru! I've been waiting for you.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. “Did you tell her not to leave the village?”
 
 
 
Kagome nodded. “Yeah, but as soon as she saw you she sprinted off. Such tiny legs . . . move so fast . . .”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru looked down at Rin. His expression wasn't angry, but she blushed and shuffled her feet nervously. “Sorry.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru sighed and allowed her to take his arm and drag him back into the village, yapping off happily about what she had gotten. Kagome smiled at InuYasha but flat out refused to help with the fish.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru sat down on a large boulder and watched as Rin shifted from foot to foot anxiously. He rolled his eyes but reached into his pants, taking out the sack of jewels and handing them to her. “Happy Birthday . . .”
 
 
 
She was already lighting into it. Sitting on her knees, she gasped and her face exploded in color as the sun set on the jewels and they gave off a magnificent light. Red, pink, green and clear jewels smiled up at her, and she quickly picked up handfuls and allowed them to drift out of her fingers. “Thank you Lord Sesshomaru. This is the best Birthday ever!”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru smiled. “Don't lose them. Those jewels aren't found in Japan, so they are the only ones you'll ever get.”
 
 
 
She wrinkled her nose and looked around, pulling out the string for her hair and handing him a handful of clear jewels and red jewels as well. “Can you put a whole in them?”
 
 
 
He nodded and used his claw to drill a hole in them, handing them back to her to put them on the necklace. After she had finished, she tied the bag back up and stuffed it into her dress. “I think I'll share some with Lady Kagome. Is that alright with you?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru shrugged. “It's your birthday. I've given them to you, and you can do what you want with them.”
 
 
 
“Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
 
 
“Yes?”
 
 
 
“Can . . . Can you promise me something?”
 
 
8:88::888::88:8
“So . . . are you still angry?”
 
 
 
She tossed him a dark look and purposely hit him in the face with her ponytail. Practicing with Kirara on the cliff overlooking the village was something she didn't think Miroku would accompany her to, but there he was, watching with a sad little frown on his face as she deliberately ignored him.
 
 
 
She sighed as Kirara dodged her attack and lunged in to make a fatal attack, growling to let Sango know about her error. Sango sighed and slammed her weapon into the soft earth, rubbing the eyes as she tried to get his smiling face out of her mind. “No, houshi-sama, I'm not mad.”
 
 
 
He flinched and sighed, rubbing a tired hand over his face as he looked back up at her. His violet eyes darkened, his dark brown hair scattered all over his face, and he looked as if he saw better days.
 
 
 
Sango sighed and shifted uncomfortably under his scrutiny. She never liked him staring at her in her taijiya uniform, and him staring at her like she was a piece of meat and he was homeless wasn't helping the situation. “I'll take that as a yes?”
 
 
 
She sighed and sat down, letting Kirara cuddled next to her and mew softly. She giggled and patted the youkai's head, muttering some praises to her before she felt Miroku pull her into his lap. “You can't be mad at me forever. I just wanted to talk.”
 
 
 
“About what?” She said bitterly.
 
 
 
He flinched again. He had been doing that a lot lately. Did that mean he was really sorry? “About what happened.”
 
 
 
“I don't have anything to say about it, lech,” She snapped. “Now if you'll excuse me---“
 
 
 
Her soft gasp echoed in the silence as he tightened his hold on her waist almost painfully and slammed her back against his chest, wrapping his arms around her waist and rubbing her belly. “Why do you run from me?” He whispered in her ear.
 
 
 
She couldn't see his face because of his bangs. But he was serious; she could feel it in the stiffness of his body. She relaxed and let her eyes closed, leaning back and sighing. “I---It was a mistake, wasn't it?”
 
 
 
He groaned. “No, precious Sango . . . it . . . I . . .”
 
 
 
“Miroku?”
 
 
 
“It wasn't supposed to be like that,” He said with a grimace. “It's supposed to be beautiful and something we'd both remember forever . . . and it was neither.”
 
 
 
“I . . .”
 
 
 
“I . . . I'm sorry Sango. For ever hurting you. Don't you understand that?”
 
 
 
She smiled and allowed him to place a kiss on her forehead. It felt nice being with him on this nice morning. She didn't feel mad and hurt and alone anymore . . . and Miroku. .
 
 
 
She had a feeling he felt the same way she did.
 
 
 
She tangled her fingers with his and giggled as he placed a wet kiss on her neck. “I . . . I want to try again, with you. Let's start over . . . a whole new plate.”
 
 
 
“Miroku?”
 
 
 
“Not now . . . I want to wait. It was rushed and just . . . horrible. I want to be sure this time. I want it to be beautiful. I just want you to know I never meant to hurt you.”
 
 
 
She smiled and nodded.
 
 
 
`I . . . I`m sorry.'
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
 
InuYasha growled as Kagome fingered the small jewel around her neck. InuYasha had told her point blank to take it off, but she commented without a second thought that Rin had given it to her, so technically Sesshomaru had nothing to do with it.
 
 
 
But InuYasha had wanted her to take it off, especially so she asked him for one of his fangs so her necklace could look like his kotodama rosary. He said point blank won't she give him one of her teeth so he could put it in his pocket, and to make a long story short, he ended up eating dirt.
 
 
 
Their arguments were more frequent now, and even Shippou began to notice it. He was sitting on the roof casually, toying with the one jewel that he asked Rin for. It really didn't matter to her, because she had about three hundred jewels. Sesshomaru might have been wealthy, even for InuYasha's era, but this was just ridiculous. He had a feeling that he was lying about the feelings he had for the little girl. `That's nasty. . . She's just a kid.'
 
 
 
`So? A youkai chooses it's mate from the heart, and . . . and if his youkai chooses her, Sesshomaru will wait until she turned 16. . . Old enough to be married to her. It's evident how she feels for him. All they need is a good push from Kagome.'
 
 
 
`Keh! As if I'd ever let her meddle in their affairs. But still . . . she's still just a kid. What could she know about love?'
 
 
 
`The same thing you do.'
 
 
 
He wrinkled his nose as he recalled how he saved Sesshomaru from a world of embarrassment.
 
 
 
She wrinkled her nose and looked around, pulling out the string for her hair and handing him a handful of clear jewels and red jewels as well. “Can you put a whole in them?”
 
 
 
He nodded and used his claw to drill a hole in them, handing them back to her to put them on the necklace. After she had finished, she tied the bag back up and stuffed it into her dress. “I think I'll share some with Lady Kagome. Is that alright with you?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru shrugged. “It's your birthday. I've given them to you, and you can do what you want with them.”
 
 
 
“Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
 
 
“Yes?”
 
 
 
“Can . . . Can you promise me something?”
 
 
Sesshomaru was panicking; InuYasha could see it on his face. His eyes had enlarged, and the paleness of his already pale skin was hard to ignore. Even though he would love to see the look on his brother's face when Rin asked him the question everybody knew she was going to, it would be wrong for him not to help.
 
 
 
Sighing, he flattened his ears and stomped around the hut that he had been eavesdropping from just as Sesshomaru opened his mouth to answer. He tugged softly on Rin's ponytail and smiled down at the necklace. “Oh, it looks a little like my necklace.”
 
 
 
Her face shone with happiness and she compared the two by holding hers in her hand and looking at hers, then InuYasha. “It does, doesn't it? I think I'm going to ask Lady Kagome to put a condemning spell on mine too!”
 
 
 
InuYasha flinched and flattened his ears again. Why did he want to do this again? “Breakfast will be ready in a moment. Kagome's adding the final touches to it. Why don't you ask Sango if you can bathe with her, and everything will be ready when you get back?”
 
 
 
Rin nodded and ran off, leaving Sesshomaru sighing with relief and InuYasha grinning smugly. “You owe me.”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru's eyes narrowed, but he didn't comment as he stood. “Yeah, sure. Now what?”
 
 
 
InuYasha tapped his chin with his claws. “I don't know. How about you have to hunt for dinner today, tomorrow and the next day?”
 
 
 
Sesshomaru scowled. Baring his fangs, he grumbled as he walked away.
 
 
 
InuYasha didn't feel guilty at all. He didn't have to help the youkai. But the look on Sesshomaru's look was priceless. Rin had gone to bathe with Sango, but the bath took much longer than anybody expected because Sango had left without telling anybody. So when they finally found her, she went to bathe with Rin, who finally decided she wanted to stay in the water all day.
 
 
 
By the time they got her out of the water, the food needed to be reheated, and the decorations were finished. Rin was ecstatic, and hugged everybody about ten times before passing out some of her jewels. She gave Kagome and Sango enough to make a necklace, and Shippou had only wanted one. But the one he chose was larger than the others, and it was a dark color, the exact same as his eyes.
 
 
 
So now everybody was beginning to comment how their necklaces looked like InuYasha's, and he finally retreated to corner. The sun was still high and mighty, and the wind blew softly. It was a perfect day for someone to have a birthday, but in the distance, there was a certain place that the sun didn't highlight. It had an eerie effect, and InuYasha could sense an evil youki there that he couldn't comprehend.
 
 
 
No sign from Sachiko, but Kaede told her there was two murders while they were gone, and that the bodies, surprisingly, were stolen by youkai and grabbed away before Kaede could give them a proper burial. Two souls lost to the darkness, she told them, that will most likely try to haunt the village because they envy the living.
 
 
 
InuYasha sighed as Shippou sat next to him, still toying with the necklace as if he had never seen one like it before. They were all interested in it, but after a moment, Kagome did her daily rounds with every person of the village, and Sango and Kirara decided to do a check around the outskirts of the village. Miroku and Shippou said they'll play with the children, and a couple of the villagers asked Sesshomaru to cut down a couple of trees and help them repair some of the huts that had been damaged.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru reluctantly agreed, and gave Rin his mokomoko-sama, telling her to be good until he came back. She smiled and nodded, and after a few moments, she drifted off to sleep. InuYasha put her on a mattress and hopped onto a roof.
 
 
 
It was too peaceful. Everything was going too perfectly, and now that he thought about it . . .
 
 
 
`This was how it was supposed to be when we killed Naraku. I can't ignore that strong youki . . .'
 
 
 
He wrinkled his nose and scowled as the dark area beckoned to him. Something was lurking there, and it knew it was watching him. It seemed to smile and wink at him, and InuYasha growled as irritation traveled there.
 
 
 
`Next time something happens . . . that's the first place I visit.'
 
 
 
“InuYasha!”
8:88::888::88:8
 
A/N
Okay . . . I don't think I'm going to update again until next week . . . so please, enjoy!
Oh, and another thing, I was going to take my stories off of this fan fiction because of a incident that a writer that is one of my favorites went through, and I thought that it was really unfair how the site basically helped the girl that took the writer (Sueric)'s material and used it as her own. I didn't know if it was going to happen to me, and I didn't have the patience to deal with it.
 
But then I began thinking about it. If it happens here, how do I know that it doesn't happen in other places? I can't stop people from doing it when other people have to suffer, and I guess until he happens to me, God forbid, then I'll continue to update here.
 
Oh and here are the pictures of Rin's `Gemstones'. (Click links to see a picture of each stone)
 
The Red Jewel: Ruby
 
Ruby is a variety of the mineral Corundum. A Ruby is actually a Sapphire of red color. It is an extremelyhard and durable gemstone, well suited for all jewelry applications. Rubies of Thai and African origin tend to be darker and have better clarity than Burma Rubies. Ruby is one of the symbols of love, and the mineral is Corundum. Red color Corundum is called Ruby, any other color is Sapphire.  Some gem dealers debate the borderline between ruby and pink sapphire. Historically, the word ruby referred to shades of red, which technically included pink. But the names ruby and pink sapphire reflect a bit of a difference in value.

The Pink Jewel: Rose Quartz
(One of my favorites)
 
Rose Quartz is called the "stone of gentle love". It is known for its calming and cooling effects that help to remove negativity and reinstate self love. It also is balancing and rejuvenating enhancing your receptivity to art, music, and the written word. Rose Quartz brings healing, emotional balance, and channels universal love. It also helps heartbreak and childhood pain. It is especially good for balancing the love emotions of the upper four chakras - heart, throat, third eye and crown.
 
The Green Jewel: Emerald
(One of my favorites)
Emeralds are fascinating gemstones. They have the most beautiful, most intense and most radiant green that can possibly be imagined: emerald green. Inclusions are tolerated. In top quality, fine emeralds are even more valuable than diamonds. The green of the emerald is the color of life and of the springtime, which comes round again and again. But it has also, for centuries, been the color of beauty and of constant love. The magnificent green of the emerald is a color which conveys harmony, love of Nature and elemental joie de vivre. The human eye can never see enough of this unique color. Pliny commented that green gladdened the eye without tiring it.
 
The Clear Jewel: Clear Aqua
(Note: On the site that I looked for a gemstone of this type, this is what came up. However, when I put `Clear Aqua' in the Yahoo Search engine, nothing came up.)