InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Rin's Birthday ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rin's Birthday

8:88:888:88:8

Finally, they were home. InuYasha thought it was a good time to go back and make sure everything was right with the area that were under their protection because now would be a good time for Sachiko to attack. True, Kagome noticed the area wasn't like they left it, but all in all, she didn't realize how much she actually missed this place.
 
 
The first thing that caught her eye was the garden on the other side of the village, and the large hut that stood behind it. It was different from all the other huts, and she could also see a large plaque on the side. However, she was certain that she wouldn't have time to look at it right now.
 
 
Sesshomaru had left halfway, saying he'd meet them at the village after making sure everything was okay with Rin and Jaken. Kagome could tell he had been worried, and the others weren't surprised when she told him unless something came up, they wouldn't leave without him. InuYasha and Kaede had went to the Bone's Eater's well to find out about some strange scent that had been left there, and Miroku and Sango were doing a once over on the outskirts of the village, making sure that nothing was going to hurt them as they rested for the next couple of days.
 
 
Shippou greeted Kagome with a small toy that the villagers must have showed him how to make. She told him she would make a special shelf in her house, and anything he made for her, and then she would put it up there to showcase. But the thing that caught her off guard was the fact that he asked could he live with her and InuYasha. She asked him why he felt he had to ask, and he stated plainly that it would be against his honor to just make a home with a different pack other than the one he was born into unceremoniously. She understood completely, and told him to tell InuYasha that it was fine by her, and that judgment was left to him.
 
 
She was also glad to know that the villagers had also built Sango and Miroku a hut not that far from Kaede's. She had been surprised, but she must have been gone longer than she thought. Her house was much grander, with flowers and different things inside, but Sango seemed relieved. “Less things to clean and break.”
 
 
Kagome sighed and cracked her knuckles, tightening the strap keeping her bow on her shoulder and slowly walking over the hut that had been built for her. She pushed aside the door, which surprised her, and stepped inside. There was a cooking area in the middle of the floor, which was also large enough to warm the whole hut in the winter. A little rack was made for the meat, and also if you wanted stew, you could move the mat.
 
 
There were a couple of mattresses placed in the corner, and also they placed a small area for InuYasha to be able to hop onto the roof if he wanted to. They even made it a special precaution and added a ladder. Kagome smiled and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. They were too sweet, and she just didn't feel as if she deserved any of this. “Aye . . . I'm glad ye like it, Kagome.”
 
 
Kagome turned around and regarded Kaede with a sad little smile. InuYasha stood behind her, grinning softly as he looked around. “I . . . Thank you, Kaede.”
 
 
“It was not my idea, but the villagers.”
 
 
“But still . . . thanks you. For everything you've done.”
 
 
“Thank Ye Kagome. Ye saved every living being here's life. It was the least we could do. For you, and InuYasha, Sango, Miroku, and even little Shippou.” She shot Kagome a warm smile and stepped around InuYasha. “I'll give ye time alone.”
 
 
The walked out silently as InuYasha looked around. He seemed impressed, and for once, Kagome noticed his didn't have his hand on Tetsusaiga's grip. She smiled and laid her head on his shoulder. He pointed to a door in the back that she had looked over. It had a large piece of wood going across to lock it. She also noticed the front door was like that also. “What's back there?”
 
 
Kagome shrugged and watched as InuYasha moved the large piece of wood and pushed open the door. There was a small garden on each side, and it led towards the back of the village and to the small hot spring that she usually visited each morning. “So that's why they put the hut over here.”
 
 
InuYasha nodded. It wasn't too far, so he was able to hear and smell her. He smiled and closed and locked the door, turning around and regarding her for a moment. “Let's see . . . they're missing a bed, wench.”
 
 
She rolled her eyes but counted. “Okay . . . I count two. Why do we need three?”
 
 
He sighed and cracked his knuckles. “The runt, wench. The runts living with us too.”
 
 
She smiled and kissed his cheek. “And here I thought you didn't like him.”
 
 
He blushed and shrugged. “Keh! Whatever. Just tell him he needs to be inside by nightfall and not to leave the village by himself. Other than that, he's fine.”
 
 
“You're a natural father, you know that?”
 
 
“No, I was a runt myself. And at night he doesn't want to be caught. He'll end up running for his life.”
 
 
Kagome came up behind InuYasha, wrapping her arms around him and digging her face into his back. “You don't have to run anymore, you know that, right? I'm right here.”
 
 
He smiled. “I know. But sometimes I want to run from you, too.”
 
 
She giggled and slapped him on the chest, watching as he set her back on the floor and handed her a calendar. “It fell out,” He said softly. “Sorry.”
 
 
She shrugged and looked it over, smiling once and showing it to him. “The next New Moon is coming soon, InuYasha.”
 
 
He shrugged and sighed, sitting in the corner on the mattresses and looking pleased. “Don't remind me. Who asked you to be keeping it on a schedule, anyway?”
 
 
She shrugged. “I don't know. I just don't like being caught off guard when a certain hanyou gets crabby because for a couple of hours he's human.”
 
 
“I don't get crabby.”
 
 
“Oh yeah, you get `catty'. What a difference.”
 
 
“You're the bitter wench, you know.”
 
 
“I'm not bitter. I'm made of sweets and spice and everything nice.”
 
 
“Spices aren't nice. Remember the `Curry Incident'?”
 
 
“Curry isn't a spice, InuYasha.”
 
 
“You're right, it's worst.”
 
 
“BakaYasha.”

8:88:888:88:8

“Lord Sesshomaru!”
 
 
Sesshomaru caught the small girl before she could barrel him over. She was a young preteen now, about four feet tall and as sweet as they come. The woman of the castle was turning her into a fine young lady, and even though Sesshomaru thought that at times she could be a nuisance, it was fun to have her around. “I trust Jaken has kept you well?”
 
 
Rin wrinkled her nose and blushed under the youkai's soft glare and snorted. “Jaken had become most boring these past years, my Lord. But Jaken is a friend of yours, no?”
 
 
Sesshomaru shrugged and allowed her to take his hand and lead her back inside.
 
 
The young girl was ecstatic, her happiness radiating off of her in waves as she dragged his through the castle and towards the back yard. Jaken and the creature that Rin tended to were sitting under the shade of a large tree, and seeing Sesshomaru, Jaken began running towards him.
 
 
Sesshomaru withheld a grin when Jaken fell at his feet. “My lord! Where have you been?”
 
 
Now normally, Sesshomaru would have hit Jaken for asking him such a question. But the old toad just never learned, did he? Sesshomaru sighed and narrowed his eyes at the youkai. “I have been taking care of business with my brother.”
 
 
Rin whimpered. “Did you kill him? Please don't tell me you killed him.”
 
 
“No, I haven't. But why does it concern you?”
 
 
She blushed again and shuffled her feet. “I like Ms. Kagome. If you kill InuYasha, she might not like you anymore, and then I won't get to see her anymore.”
 
 
Sesshomaru turned and looked over the distance. Everything seemed the same, but still, it didn't have the same feeling as it did when he first left. “Oh, my Lord, I have almost forgotten. A woman had come to see you with a scent most disgusting.”
 
 
“Did she leave her name and her business with my territory?”
 
 
“She didn't leave a specific reason, but she asked me to inform you that her name was Sachiko, and her `lair' was in the `smack middle of Musashi'. I don't think you should waste your time, my Lord. Personally, I think that she desires you physically rather than anything of real importance---“
 
 
“That is enough, Jaken!”
 
 
Jaken immediately silenced as he looked over the area once again. He beckoned to the creature Rin tended to, and sighed. “I want you to inform the young man by the name of Hiro that I leave him in charge until I return. Anything that needs my immediate concern, I want him to write it down and for you to deliver it to me immediately, understand? You take care of Rin's creature.”
 
 
“Am I going with you, my Lord?”
 
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Yes, you are. You wish to visit Lady Kagome, do you not?”
 
 
Rin smiled and clapped her hands together. Sesshomaru formed a cloud around his feet, allowing Rin to grab onto his leg as they floated into the sky. Her long hair billowed out around her, and she giggled as she tugged on his leg and looked up at him. “Guess what tomorrow is, my Lord.”
 
 
He never really liked her guessing games. But that didn't stop him from asking her what, did it? After three years, he hadn't been able to tell her to bug off. “What is tomorrow?”
 
 
“My birthday! This'll make four years I met you, Lord Sesshomaru.”
 
 
Sesshomaru grimaced. When she had died, and he revived her, it was as if she was born again, and she claimed that day her birthday. And for her birthday, and usually asked for something extremely difficult to find, that he usually made Jaken get for her . . .

8:88:888:88:8

“InuYasha . . . we don't have enough room for this,”
 
 
InuYasha looked around as Rin hugged on Kagome tightly. The young girl was extremely overjoyed to see the miko, and didn't miss the opportunity to tell everyone that tomorrow was her birthday. “How about Sesshomaru and I stay with Kaede and let you two stay here?”
 
 
Kagome shrugged. She would love to have everyone over, but it just wasn't enough room. She sighed. “I mean . . . you two could stay, but there aren't enough mattresses.”
 
 
“Lord Sesshomaru and I could share one,” Rin said quietly. “And you and InuYasha could share one as well. Shippou can have his own, and then there's room for everyone.”
 
 
Sesshomaru snorted. “This Sesshomaru does not need a mattress.”
 
 
Rin looked up at him and he quickly shrugged. She smiled and latched herself onto him. Kagome giggled but looked at InuYasha, who was still speculating. “I don't know . . . I don't want to leave you by yourself, but I don't think there will be enough room for all of us. Sesshomaru likes changing in his sleep.”
 
 
“You have inherited no humor, half-demon.”
 
 
InuYasha growled but didn't comment. “Okay, you two can stay in Kaede's hut until we figure something out. But how about we all have dinner over here? InuYasha, could you get Shippou while I start dinner?”
 
 
InuYasha snorted and stomped out. Sesshomaru shrugged and followed after, and Rin sat down next to Kagome and sighed. “What do you want for your birthday?” She asked her.
 
 
Rin blushed and played with her hands in her lap. “You're going to laugh at me.”
 
 
“No, I'm not. I promise.”
 
 
“Okay---for my birthday, I'm going to ask Lord Sesshomaru to make me a promise.”
 
 
Kagome smiled. Rin's voice took on a fascinated tone, and she clamped her hands together and sighed. She was adorable. “Okay---what kind of promise?”
 
 
Rin leaned forward and scolded Kagome playfully. “You know a promise promise!”
 
 
“I don't understand,” Kagome said, biting her lip. “What, to get you something or . . .”
 
 
“No! I'm going to make him promise to marry me! That's what I want for my birthday. Lord Sesshomaru's heart.”
 
 
Kagome coughed and doubled over as her heart missed a beat. Her eyes widened and her skin paled as she looked at Rin. Her eyes were glazed over, and her cheeks were rosy with nervousness. “Rin . . .”
 
 
“I know it may seem stupid, but in four years, I . . . Lord Sesshomaru just mean so much to me, and I want to be by his side forever!”
 
 
“Rin . . . I . . . if he . . . Rin . . .”
 
 
`I don't know what to say . . . how do you tell a girl that the man she fell in love with might not return her feelings because he has feelings for you?'
 
 
`You don't. Let her dream . . . it happens once in a while. Who knows . . . Sesshomaru might just promise her that.'
 
 
`But . . . I can't picture Sesshomaru promising something like that. It's just not. . . Him!'
 
 
`Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it won't happen. Nine times out of ten she's going to chicken out. Let her dream . . . I mean, she's only what, twelve? She can't be as infatuated as she says she is.'
 
 
Kagome looked up as Sesshomaru walked into the hut with a handful of fish. She heard Rin gasp and watched as water dripped from Sesshomaru's hair and made it stick to his face. Her mouth was part and her lips were swollen, and her eyes were full of tears of admiring. Kagome groaned. `Oh, man.'

8:88:888:88:8

 
 
A/N
 
 
Sorry this took so long . . . I had writers block. Personally, I'm not happy with this chapter, but I think I'll let you guys read it.
 
 
Oh, and another thing I forgot to add . . . Sesshomaru is just so cute! I'm sorry, I just had to do it . . . InuYasha may be adorable, but Sesshomaru is sexy in a'mysterious' and 'exotic' kind of way. I like the way he doesn't talk . . . he just looks at you through those amber eyes . . .Okay, infatuation with anime characters isn't normal. But on the other hand, I'm not normal either.