InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Genuine Desires : Unity ❯ Gakkuri Miuchi ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gakkuri Miuchi
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
He hadn't moved for three days. He almost forgot to breathe a couple of times too. Every time he took a breath, each time he inhaled, it was painful, harsh, and each and every time he caught a whiff of her scent, the woman who claimed to love him, the woman who betrayed him, he thought he would pass out.
 
 
 
Did he really become so soft? His heart had been broken many times . . . why was this so different? Why did hearing for words coming from her mouth, smelling the painful tears of her homesickness . . . why did it matter to him? Why did he feel this way?
 
 
 
He sighed when the scent of the monk came back to him. Her scent was all over him . . . she had been crying. The monk had seen her, and she cried . . . she cried until she fell ill.
 
 
 
“InuYasha.”
 
 
 
InuYasha whimpered and turned his face so that the wind blew shielded him from his angry voice. He didn't want to deal with him, or anybody, not now, not ever.
 
 
 
“InuYasha, I know you're up there. It's been three days. Surely whatever happened couldn't be this bad.”
 
 
 
“Go away,” InuYasha whined. His voice was scratchy and hoarse. He felt horrible. He flattened his ears and covered them with the sleeves of his haori---but that didn't stop Miroku's voice from reaching them.
 
 
 
 
 
“InuYasha, believe it or not, but I'm worried. I'm worried about you more, actually. What happened? She won't talk . . . she won't eat . . . she looks horrible. What happened?”
 
 
 
InuYasha whimpered again, digging his claws into the bark of the tree. “I . . . I told her to . . . she said she wanted to go home, and . . .”
 
 
 
He could feel Miroku's anger. “You . . . didn't push her away, did you?”
 
 
 
InuYasha whimpered again. Just what was he supposed to do? Just smile and tell her that he understood how she felt? He always knew . . . he always understood how she felt. He knew the day was coming; when she would want to go home and leave, but why . . . why did it feel like a part of him was dying?
 
 
 
Miroku's tone was tight . . . clipped. “I see.”
 
 
 
InuYasha sighed and looked down at Miroku, who had taken a seat at the bark of the tree. His face was turned away from him, but InuYasha automatically knew that he was angry. Miroku had always told him not to go to far . . . to make sure he held his tongue. But Kagome expressed her feelings clearly . . . and he did to, right? But he still didn't understand why he felt this way. He sighed and looked at his arms. They had grown thinner, paler. His veins were popping out of his arm, too. What was happening to him?
 
 
 
`You have to go back to Kagome. Just see her, one time. Tell her you're sorry . . . stay with her anyway until you find a way to open the well.'
 
 
 
`Stay with her anyway? Find a way to open the well? Can I really do that? Will I be able to . . . be able to stomach it when she finally leaves? I'm a mess, just because she said she wanted to leave . . . do you think I'll actually be able to watch her go down the well one more time, knowing she'll never come back?'
 
His youkai was quiet for a while. `Go back to her . . . stay by her side. That's the least we can do.'
 
 
 
`I . . . I can't. I feel like . . . I feel like I'm dying just with the thought of her. I don't . . . with Kagome gone, I . . . I just want to be left alone.'
 
 
 
`Left alone to die? To rot? You can't just give up easily! She would hate to see you like this . . . and you know that!'
 
 
 
`What does it matter?' InuYasha pressed his ears closer to his head. `We were wrong all along. She only said that she'd . . . because she has to! She had no other choice, and it's . . . it's not real at all. What she sees me as . . . it doesn't matter anymore. Kagome made her choice, and I . . . I can't live with it.'
 
 
 
Miroku sighed and dug his fist into the ground. He looked up into the trees once more, shaking his head sadly before walking away quickly. Leaving InuYasha by himself.
 
 
 
Again.
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
 
`He . . . he hates me, doesn't he?'
 
 
 
She trembled all night. And the next two nights. She wanted to be with him, she wanted to be by his side, but she knew the damage she had done was done. There was nothing she could do except stay by his side, but even thinking about it brought her to tears that left her throwing up what felt like all of her body fluids. . . Did he realize, just what he said to her?
 
 
 
`He was . . . he was telling me to go ahead home. He heard me say I wanted to go home, and he thought . . . he thought I chose him because I had to . . . because I was stuck here against my will. But . . . InuYasha . . .'
 
 
 
`Just . . . don't think doll. Just . . . rest a little, okay? It's going to all blow over in a while . . . it will . . .'
 
 
`He . . . he hates me!'
 
 
 
`Oh, doll . . .'
 
 
 
She shuddered softly and pulled the blanket over her head and pulled her knees to her chest, putting her face between them and trying to fight the sobs slipping from her lips. Three days she had cried non-stop. She never thought she felt like this. The last time she cried like this was when her father died . . .
 
 
 
Something bitter was growing within; she could feel it, sense it. She wrapped her arms around her legs, digging her knees into her painfully quaking belly. She flinched and sighed again. The pain was unbearable, as if somebody was tearing at her insides and playing volleyball with her heart.
 
 
 
The door creaked open, and the gentle aura of Kaede drifted to her. The light that seeped through the blanket hurt her eyes, and she felt the cool air hitting her skin, shuddering when Kaede ran her fingers through her matted hair. “Ye has to eat something, Kagome.”
 
 
 
Kagome blinked when the woman pulled her into her embrace and hugged her tightly. Kagome choked back and sob, feeling her whole body trembling painfully as she shook her head and tried to lie back down. “I'm . . . not hungry,” She said, her weak voice barely a whisper. “Just need to rest.”
 
 
 
“Ye need to talk to InuYasha and rest.”
 
 
 
The name brought tears to her eyes again, and she fought the wailing that was trying to come. Kaede hugged her tightly, whispering soothing words when Kagome's trembling intensified. The light was hurting her eyes, and she could see the many children standing outside the door, holding gifts and staring at her with those worried large eyes . . .
 
 
 
Kagome hid her face and waved towards the door. “Please, close the door. I don't want them so see my like this.”
 
 
 
Kaede nodded and kissed Kagome's head again. When Kaede's presence slowly faded, Kagome began crying again. She thought she was bleeding, the emotions were venting out yet they were flooding in at the same time. She didn't know what was going on . . . were these emotions her own? InuYasha . . . InuYasha meant a lot to her, and for him to turn her away so easily, without a second thought . . .
 
 
 
He thought she was going to leave, didn't she? She noticed it, the way he joked around, the guarded shine in his eyes whenever the well came up. When Sachiko talked about her betraying him . . . he considered it, didn't he? It wasn't until she said something until he dismissed it, but the fact he didn't trust her for that split second, the fact he didn't trust her when she tried to hard to tell him how she felt . . .
 
 
 
It hurt more than anything.
 
 
 
`I . . . I just want to die.'
 
 
 
`Then leave this place. Leave this place . . . and the painful memories along with it.'
 
 
 
`Leave . . . InuYasha . . . ?'
 
`Leave your pain . . . your heartbreak . . . InuYasha.'
 
 
 
`InuYasha . . .'
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
He had passed out. High above the ground in Goshinboku, he had passed out, and Sesshomaru had brought him back. He looked so vulnerable . . . especially since he was scheduled to turn into a human tonight. Kagome was packed and ready . . . but she just had to see him one more time. No matter how much it hurt, how much it would kill her, she just had to see him.
 
 
 
She sighed when she walked into the hut that had been emptied just for him. Miroku and Sango decided to sleep in Kaede's hut, and Sesshomaru and Rin had already fallen asleep. She was able to sneak over without any problems, but when she got to the hut, she almost turned around and left.
 
 
 
His guarded youki enveloped the whole hut. The hut was beginning to smell like him, and she could tell with one glance that he had fallen ill. His skin was white, his chest and legs oddly thin as she stared at him through the thick blanket that had been placed over his nude body. He looked so young and so sad . . . and she wiped her face with the back or her hand as she walked over to him.
 
 
 
His body was lukewarm, and she sensed something different about him. She touched his cheek, and he pushed his face to her touch, whimpering as his black hair blanketed his face and shoulders. She smiled sadly, gave a choked sob, and pressed her face to his chest.
 
 
 
She didn't know how long she cried. But it was still midnight by the time she sat up and wiped her face. His skin was still deathly white, and he still looked stricken and . . . and close to . . .
 
 
 
She sighed and dug into her backpack, digging out a notebook and paper and scribbling on it madly. She didn't know where she would go, but she needed to do some soul searching. She needed to know how she felt about some things . . . and she didn't know where to go to start. Sighing with a ragged breath, she folded the piece of paper and kissed it. Taking off the ring he gave her, placed it next to his body. Then slowly, painstakingly, she kissed him softly on the lips, a final goodbye, and her nails digging into his shoulder. He didn't react.
 
 
 
Blinking rapidly, she stood up and tossed her book bag over her back. She didn't know why she began running, but she did. Out of the village, out of her pain, out of her sorrow, out of her life.
 
`Goodbye, InuYasha.'
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
Once upon the time there were four best friends that were able to overcome any trial that came their way. They had love for each other and an unbreakable friendship that shone like the sun above. They loved each other dearly---would die for each other. A monk, a miko, the last Taijiya and a hanyou brought together to bring peace to the world where nothing make sense.
 
 
During this time after the great battle came what was called Hawotonaeru Nyonin---The Reign of women. Splitting the party of four up after Lady Kimiko defeated them in battle---she sought out the life of the two men who held the women's heart. They escaped, and Lady Kimiko went on a rampage---seeking the life of the miko's unborn child.
 
 
But a great force that she feared kept her from harming any of the family, and instead she forced the women to work in her castle---making them cook, clean---become her slaves. The men were separated, forced to live with a low supply of food and hardly any water. Lady Kimiko treated them like dogs---killing them when they decided to rebel over and over---demanding their women back.
 
 
It was this time she made the miko, the taijiya and the taijiya's friend, a neko youkai to ward off the men. Though she knew the men they loved took no part in this---she knew that it would hurt the two to have to harm their former villagers---and she watched as they crumbled.
 
 
The miko decided she knew what she had to do. Though it would take long nights and would make her very tired---she began the process of forming her child's life. Not long after she gave birth to her beautiful---hanyou---daughter. Her ears pressed to her head and her small claws grabbing for her mother---she rode on Kilala and showed the gift of life to her father.
 
 
Once the child was four years old, the miko began teaching her everything she had learned from an old friend that had passed away. She taught her how to keep her temper---showed her how to use the powers that Kami had blessed them with. For seven long years she trained her daughter with the help of the taijiya who was like a second mother---teaching her basic self defense and how to mix different substances.
 
 
When she was 11, her mother sent her to live with her father to train. The young girl knew from the start the queen hated the girl with a bitter passion for a reason her mother wouldn't explain to her while she was so young---so she sprinted away without looking back, knowing her mother's life was going to be easier from here on out.
 
 
By the time she was 16, she had learned to blend the miko powers she attained with her hanyou instincts---something that would come in handy constantly, she was told. She learned the hunting techniques of a youkai---and was always told that lesser youkai almost never fought fair---and she was given a gift from her father. A sword that had been passed down to him to protect his mother---the love radiated through the blade onto her skin, and she smiled.
 
 
She frowned when a painful lurch erupted in her chest---followed by a sphere of light that shot into the sky. It broke into eight different pieces, and each flew in a different direction. History tells us it was then she lost her memory.
 
 
Upon returning back to the kingdom---she smelled the fresh scent of blood and the smell of fear and fire. She hurried along, meeting the taijiya lying along the ground. She swept her up and cradled her close to her chest.
 
 
"Who did this?" She asked.
 
 
The taijiya only coughed and held out her hand as sweat poured down her temple. She felt an odd sense of closeness to this person---her scent was familiar, yet she had no idea who she was. "Lady Kimiko tried to . . . tried to slay your mother. Take this . . . and flee!"
 
 
The hanyou took the amulet that was glowing in the woman's hand. It beckoned to her---called to her, and as she reached out and touched it, a little stone appeared in the middle. She dropped it over her head and tried to pick up the youkai exterminator. "I can't . . . I can't leave you like this!"
 
 
The woman dug her heel into the hard ground and shook her head, falling to her knees while shoving the hanyou away. "Just . . . run!"
 
 
The hanyou didn't wait for her to tell her again. Fleeing into the forest---stomping over broken branches and twigs she ran, her throat on fire as she gasped for breath. Her long hair streaming out behind her, her ears flattened through her head, she heard the weapon whistling through the air before the white hot burn erupted from her back . . . A simple creature lifted her---brought her to the edge of the pond and pulled out the arrow, licking her wound when blood seeped from it. He reached for the amulet on her chest and hissed when blisters erupted on his hands.
 
 
"It . . . has begun."
 
 
8:88::888::88:8
 
A/N
 
 
Gakkuri : Heartbroken
 
 
Miuchi: Friends
 
 
Gakkuri Miuchi: Heartbroken Friends
 
 
Youki: Ghostly; Unearthly; Weird
(Note: Let's make this clearer . . . this is what a youkai's `aura' would be, except for youkai and hanyou, it's called youki, and for humans, it's aura. It's what InuYasha sees when he's going to use the Kaze No Kizu---the Wind Scar.)
 
 
Taijiya: Youkai Exterminator