InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanyou no kokoro no naka de; Within the Heart of the Half-Demon ❯ Into the Youkai no Mori ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Someday I'll find a magic genie and he will grant my wishes. But until that day, I don't own Inuyasha.
 
A/N: I've returned! And so has the next chapter of this story. Enjoy. That's not a request.
 
Oh, and also. Yesterday I whipped up a little Inuyasha website of my own. It's not much, but I'd really like you guys to check it out and let me know what you think. It's centered around two of my favorite parts of Inuyasha: the Music and the fanfiction. ^_^ The address is http://www.geocities.com/abadoounvierse/inuyasha.html Anyway, on with the story:
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Chapter 9
 
Into the Youkai no Mori
 
“Are you sure you saw him around here, Shippo?”
 
The little kitsune nodded ferociously. “M hm! Absolutely positive! Didn't we see him, Kirara!”
 
Kirara gave an enthusiastic meow.
 
Inuyasha stood erect with his hands on his hips. “Well I don't see the baboon or any traces that he was ever here. Do me a favor and next time you see him, follow him and don't come lookin' for me! Got it?”
 
Shippo nodded.
 
Inuyasha turned his back to Shippo and Kirara. “Now I'm goin' lookin' for us something to eat for dinner.” He started running, but stopped once more. “And don't follow me!” Then he was gone.
 
Shippo plopped down on a rock, letting out a heavy sigh. He glanced over at Kirara who was just watching him, head cocked like a curious puppy would do. “So much for helping Inuyasha catch him.” He paused, looking up into a tree. “He had been there, right?”
 
No matter how long Shippo looked up at the empty tree, he was positive he had seen the white baboon there earlier. He wasn't crazy…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“STOLEN!?!?!” A voice rang over the trees. Kaede had taken Kagome and the others into her house. The young man who had delivered the message had left. “How could this happen!!”
 
Night was approaching. It was the best time for them to leave because they would not be discovered until morning, giving them plenty of time to get as far as they could, and perhaps back before too much panic had aroused over their disappearance. Kagome had to wonder, though, since the Shikon no Tama's disappearance; would anyone even notice they were gone for a day?
 
“Why have ye come at this time of night?” Kaede questioned them. She was cooking something over her fire place, keeping busy while talking to them.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kagome exchanged glances warily before Miroku spoke. “We know…Kaede-sama. We know about the curse.”
 
Kaede closed her eyes. “I had not doubt ye would at this age.”
 
“We know we are all part of it, though we understand not why. We hoped that maybe…you see, we know of the village where the priestess Midoriko was from. We hoped that we could visit the village and perhaps learn more about the Shikon no Tama and how it became cursed.”
 
“Nay, child. Was it not certainly the Great Youkai that cursed the jewel many years ago?”
 
“Well, yes. But we want to learn more about the curse. Our chances may be slim there, but any place would be better than here. We know that others are cursed as well, including youkai, and we want to find out why. We came to you because we need some sort of protection to get to the village considering we must pass through the Youkai no Mori. We thought you could help us somehow.”
 
Kaede sat silently for a moment. Yes, they have learned much about the curse, more so than I'm sure they should. They are intelligent, however, and they deserve to know about it. They learned of the curse so quickly…I myself have only just recently learned of it. After my encounter with the princess in the Shikon Shrine, I looked into the curse. It was not too difficult for me. I am the head priestess, after all. But even some gaps have yet to be filled for me. These children deserve the chance to know the nature of their curse. That's why I must help them. I knew this day would come, but I never assumed it would be so soon. But I truly believe they are ready. They are strong. The old priestess cleared her throat.
 
“Ye over estimate me.”
 
Kagome and Sango gasped. Had they really? Was Kaede not going to help them??
 
“What do you mean, Kaede-sama?”
 
I cannot help ye reach the village,” she said. Disappointment filled the room as the three of them began to give up. “But,” Kaede said with a smile, “I know someone who can.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The forest was dark; dark and completely silent.
 
Miroku held a small lantern that proved to be their only source of light. They were headed in the direction that Kaede had told them to go, but the intense darkness of the forest made finding their way through it very difficult. It was early in the morning, though, and with luck, the sun would have risen before they reached their destination. Kaede had made them stay in the shrine and sleep a few hours before letting them leave. In exchange, she had promised to be their cover-up while they were gone.
 
They were armed with only a small barrier to protect them until they reached their destination. It would keep them safe, but not forever. It would probably wear off by sunrise.
 
X-X-X
 
“Are we going the right way?”
 
“This tree looks familiar.”
 
“Shut up, Miroku.”
 
“Stay positive!”
 
“It's so difficult to see anything…even with this poor excuse for a lantern.”
 
“Just keep looking.”
 
“How are we supposed to find this place anyway? We don't even know what it looks like.”
 
“The sun will be up soon. Stop complaining.”
 
“I hope this barrier holds up.”
 
“Hey, Sango…”
 
SMACK!
 
“This is hardly the time! Keep your hands to yourself!”
 
Silence.
 
“Sorry. Couldn't help it.”
 
“I'd appreciate some control on your part.”
 
“I'll keep that in mind.”
 
“Shh!”
 
“What is it, Kagome?”
 
Kagome grabbed the lantern from Miroku's hands and held it out in front of her.”
 
“I heard something.”
 
“We're in a forest, remember. Who knows what all lives out here.”
 
“Shh,” Kagome snapped.
 
Kagome held up the lantern and looked around, straining to see into the darkness. She noticed that the sky was beginning to have some color, which meant morning was not far away. She smiled. Good…this dark forest is beginning to creep me out. Not to mention the fact that we're looking for a hanyou
 
“Kagome!” Sango exclaimed, interrupting her thoughts, “What's that! I saw something!” Sango pointed up in a tree. “I saw something up there!”
 
Miroku looked around warily. “Is something following us?”
 
Kagome glanced up into the tree, then all around before letting out a long exhale. “Maybe we're just scaring ourselves. Let's stick to the task at hand.”
 
“Look!” Sango exclaimed suddenly, “the sun's rising!”
 
Sure enough, the tip of the bright star was peaking over the distant mountains. It was barely visible through the trees, but the light was scattered all over the earth. Fear melted with the darkness, and the once frightened trio was once again ready to face whatever awaited them in the Youkai no Mori.
 
“Intruders!”
 
“AHH!” the three of the screamed in unison.
 
A voice came bellowing over the trees. Kagome, Miroku, and Sango now stood in a shadow. The rising sun had disappeared behind a large…circular object. Strange as it was, it was true. “You humans enter the forest uninvited!! Return to your kingdom at once!!”
 
Kagome sat up a bit, leaving her cowering stance, and listened to the ever so “ominous” voice. Now that the initial shock had wore off, the voice really didn't sound all that scary. Miroku and Sango noticed as well, looking up to the balloon that was slowly rising over the trees.
 
Miroku cocked his head. “It's pink…”
 
“Turn back at once, humans! Or you shall have to face my wrath!!”
 
Sango stood up. “It's a kitsune youkai. Tricky little demon.”
 
“Turn back!!”
 
Sango reached into the pocket of her outfit and pulled out a small shell, a green powder inside. She threw the shell to the ground, and the powdery gas lifted into the air. One sniff, and the large pink balloon burst, and a small fox child fell to the ground.
 
“Oh!” Kagome exclaimed “How adorable!” she scooped up the kit in her arms and hugged it tight.
 
“Let go of me, girl! I'm a demon!!!”
 
Sango laughed, “Why, it's only a small child kitsune!”
 
Miroku stood up tall. “Yeah…I knew that…”
 
The small fox kicked and squirmed, finally freeing himself from Kagome's grasp. He landed on the ground with a plop, turning and facing the princess with the most agitated expression the poor kit could muster.
 
“How dare you lay a finger on me! I'm gonna…”
 
“What's your name, little one?” Sango asked, bending down a little closer to his level.
 
“I am Shippo!! The great and terrifying.”
 
They all tried to stifle their laughter.
 
“Say, Shippo,” Kagome said, bending down next to Sango, “Are you hungry? I have some cookies in my bag if you want some?”
 
“You do!?!” Shippo piped, losing all sense of toughness he ever remotely had.
 
Kagome reached back into the bag she was carrying. She dug around a bit before pulling out a small bag. She opened it and handed a cookie to the fox.
 
“Thank you!” he said, taking the treat. He munched happily on the cookie. “What's your name?”
 
“I'm Kagome. This here's Sango and Miroku.”
 
“It's nice to meet you,” Shippo said, taking another bite. From behind him, a tree rustled and a tiny cat sprang forth.
 
“Oh!” Kagome squeaked, jumping back only slightly.
 
Shippo chewed and swallowed, still holding half the cookie in his hands. “This is Kirara. Don't worry, she won't hurt you. Go on, Kirara! Tell them hi!”
 
“Well that cookie sure changed his tune,” Miroku observed.
 
The small cat meowed at them in greeting while Shippo finished off the rest of Kagome's cookie. The cat leaped into Sango's lap and purred.
 
“Why, hello, Kirara! You're so cute, yes you are!!” She rubbed the cat's head and back.
 
“Wow,” Shippo said, “Kirara really like you!”
 
Sango smiled. “That's a bit ironic, wouldn't you say?” I'm a demon slayer, after all…
 
Kagome squatted down next to Shippo. “Say, Shippo,”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“What are two little youkai like you doing out here so early by yourselves?”
 
“Oh,” His voice dropped a little, “Well, Kirara and I aren't usually alone. But the hanyou that we stay with went off last night and hasn't come back yet. We're just protecting ourselves while we wait for him to come back with food.”
 
Everyone's attention suddenly snapped to Shippo's words.
 
“What did you say,” Miroku asked, almost rudely.
 
Shippo was surprised, and a bit frightened, by the monk's tone. “Ano…we're not always alone.”
 
Miroku stepped in closer to the kitsune. “No, about a hanyou! What did you say about a hanyou!?!”
 
Kagome stepped in. “Calm down, Miroku!” She turned to Shippo, “Did you say that you live with a hanyou?”
 
Shippo, the poor thing, was beginning to get frightened. What did they want with Inuyasha!?!? “Uh…yes. He…I left last night. I don't know where he is.”
 
“Dang it!”
 
Sango sighed. “It might not even be him, remember. Who knows how many hanyou live here with the youkai.”
 
Shippo spoke up, “He's the only one. There isn't another hanyou around that I know of. Most of them have all died or been killed.”
 
A spark of hope fluttered. Kagome, Miroku, and Sango exchanged glances. The only one…?
 
“What do you…want with him?” Shippo asked, a little afraid of the answer.
 
There was silence for a few moments, and Shippo waited for an answer.
 
“We…need his help. We need him to help us get somewhere,” Kagome replied. “A priestess sent us in search of him to help us get to a village on the other side of the Youkai no Mori. I don't know why we need him, but we do. Do you think we can find him?” Kagome asked anxiously.
 
Shippo was a little concerned…their motives vs. Inuyasha's personality…not going to be pretty. But Kagome had been so nice to him…
 
“Okay, Kagome-chan!” Shippo said, finally. “I'll help you find him!”
 
“Oh, you will! Thank you, Shippo!” she exclaimed, hugging the kitsune tightly.
 
“Okay!!” Shippo gasped. Kagome released him. “Now I don't know where he's gotten to, and this forest is really big. So it might be easier if we split into two groups. Kagome, you come with me! Miroku, Sango, Kirara will take you to look for him. Kirara, meet back at Goushinboku in a little while. He's bound to turn up.”
 
Kirara nodded, then suddenly she lit up in flames. Sango and Miroku jumped back in surprise. Then a large cat emerged from the flames, resembling Kirara, but much fiercer looking. They didn't really know what to do.
 
“It's okay, guys. Kirara transforms like that so she can fly. You can ride on her back. She'll take you looking.”
 
They nodded and slowly climbed onto the neko's back. They waved to Kagome and Shippo as Kirara leaped off the ground and flew off, disappearing over the trees.
 
“Well,” Shippo said, looking up and Kagome. “Are you ready?”
 
She didn't move her stare from the place where Kirara had flown to. “Can he…” she paused. “What's his name?” She looked down at Shippo, awaiting an answer.
 
“Inuyasha.”
 
Kagome froze, though she didn't know why. Inuyasha…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
A/N: Chapter 9!! I promise that they meet in the next chapter…I think I've put it off long enough. Haha.
 
I also have a question…I have made some Inuyasha Music Videos and I would like to put them on the web…does anyone know where I can do that without have to pay $$? Help would be appreciated!! Till next time!