InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanyou no kokoro no naka de; Within the Heart of the Half-Demon ❯ The Curse: The Bad and The Ugly ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Sengoku Togi Zoushi InuYasha kizoku Takahashi Rumiko-ka de. nanka…
 
A/N: This is an exciting chapter. Learn everything! Everyone's part of the curse comes into light in this chapter…everyone, that is, except Kikyo. But we shall learn more about her later. Anyway, without further ado, on with chapter fourteen!
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Chapter 14
 
The Curse: The Bad and the Ugly
 
 
 
 
Miroku picked up a small figurine and inspected it. It looked like a young girl and she was wearing an older version, but the custom priestess attire. Her hands were cupped together and she was holding them level with her chest, but outward. The sculpture was incredibly detailed for being so small. Suddenly, Miroku heard a sound from back in the cave. He jumped, setting the figurine back down where he had got her from. He quietly walked toward the entrance of the large room, and he was able to hear voices.
 
Did they get in? He thought. “Hello?”
 
“Miroku? Are you there?” Kagome's voice called back. He voice grew softer as she spoke to Miatsu. “I hope you don't mind. Our friend is a monk and he came looking for you in the cave.”
 
Miroku heard an old man chuckle and reply, “Oh, no. I don't mind. I always like have a little monkish company around here!”
 
Kagome, Sango, Inuyasha, Shippo, Kirara, and the old man came into Miroku's view. He smiled and walked to meet them.
 
“My, my! It's certainly dark in here!' The old man exclaimed, taking the torch Miroku had lit earlier and lighting other around the room. He then returned the torch to its place and approached Miroku. “So you're the monk friend, eh? My name is Miatsu.” He game Miroku a hand to shake.
 
He returned the shake and bowed. “Miatsu-sama. I am Miroku.”
 
Miatsu smiled. “It is a pleasure to meet you. All of you.”
 
Everyone smiled at him except Inuyasha, who kept the same smug look on his face. Miatsu led everyone around the large rock formation in the center of the room and to a small table behind it. It was nothing but a large slab of rock supported on logs, but it was apparent by their surroundings that this monk was not swimming in money. The all knelt and sat around the table.
 
“Would any of you like something to eat?” Miatsu asked, walking to a barrel and lifting the lid.
 
Not wanting to refuse this kind monk's hospitality, they accepted. It was not much, but the kind old man was doing everything he could to welcome his guests. After everyone and more or less finished, Miatsu took a seat at the head of the table.
 
“Now, young lady,” he said to Kagome, “What is it that you need ask me?”
 
Kagome looked around at her friends. “Well, sir, this village,” she pointed in the general direction of the village. “You—how long have you lived here?”
 
“Well, I used to live inside the village,” Miatsu replied. “But as of late, I have found it safer and much more peaceful to live here in this cave. I grew up in the village and have never lived anywhere but.”
 
“So you know much about the village's history?” she asked expectantly.
 
He nodded. “Oh yes, I know of all the history of this village. For such a small farming town, it has quite this history. You know some of it, I suppose.”
 
“Yes,” Kagome said as everyone nodded in agreement. “We came here hoping that we might learn more about it. About Midoriko, the Shikon no Tama, and…a number other things.”
 
Miatsu smiled and nodded. “I will tell you what I can.”
 
Why does everyone say that?? Kagome thought. “Okay then, can you tell us a little bit about Midoriko? Why she created the jewel, about her battle with the Great Youkai, and her death?”
 
“Wow…You've got quite the curiosity there, don't you?” Miatsu said with a smile. “Okay, well…” As he organized his thoughts, everyone got comfortable and got ready to listen. “Midoriko-sama was born here in the village as daughter of the headman centuries ago. Her mother and grandmother had been priestesses in the local shrine, which is now no longer in use. So, because of tradition, she took the position of head priestess once her mother died, which was at a young age because her mother died of sickness. As it turned out, Midoriko was one of the most powerful priestesses the western lands had ever seen. She became very well known throughout the land for her power. This village was untouched by demons for many years.”
 
“Wow!” Shippo said quietly in amazement.
 
“Well, Midoriko was also a very wise priestess. She, unlike many girls who took up jobs at the shrine, continued her schooling, and even after that, she studied things on her own and she became a well spring of knowledge.”
 
“That must have been a great benefit in protecting the lands from demons and such,” Miroku said.
 
Miatsu nodded. “Hai, a great benefit. Because of her research and studies she was also able to figure out how to make a jewel such as the Shikon no Tama. The idea behind the jewel was that if it could remain pure, that it would protect those who the rightful owner of the jewel set it to protect. The four souls that the jewel is supposedly comprised of are Aramitama, or Courage; Nigimitama, or Friendship; Kushimitama, or Wisdom; and Sakimitama, or Love. All of these souls are housed inside every person. When they are all able to work together it is called Naobi and that person can be nothing by pure. All of these were housed inside the jewel as well, and with the help of a powerful priestess like Midoriko, it was able to remain in Naobi, thus being pure and super powerful. The pure aura that the jewel created would purify any living soul that entered. Since the humans of the village were naught but humble farmers, the humans and jewel could reside there in harmony while also protecting them from any foe.”
 
“That's some kind of power,” Inuyasha commented.
 
“Indeed. Since Midoriko was the maker of the jewel, part of her soul was used in its creation. Thus, which ever way her soul swayed, the jewel could only follow.”
 
“So what would happen if someone evil got hold of the jewel?” Kagome asked.
 
“For the longest time, no one was concerned with that matter. No one of an evil heart could even near the Shikon no Tama because of its powerful aura.”
 
“So how did someone like the Great Youkai ever get their dirty hands on the Jewel?”
 
“It is said that Midoriko fell ill one night. No one knew why, but she suddenly became very ill. Since she did not have the physical strength to maintain the jewel, the aura around the village weakened considerably. No demons lived anywhere near enough to notice except one. He saw the barrier weaken and took that chance to attack Midoriko while, not only was the Jewel weak, but she was extremely weak herself. This youkai was so incredibly evil that he was able to reach the jewel without being completely purified. He fought the young priestess for only a short time before her had hold of the Shikon no Tama. As soon as the jewel left Midoriko's possession and fell into the hands of evil, the souls of the jewel conformed and the jewel was no longer pure, but black with evil. The demon left only minor physical injuries on the girl before he escaped. But the cause of Midoriko's death was the fact that half of her soul was stolen by evil. The girl died that night because her pure soul that was within her body could not bare the evil soul that was inside the tainted Shikon Jewel. That, my friends, is the fate of Midoriko.”
 
Silence followed the monk's story for a few moments while everyone processed the information.
 
“So the one who stole the jewel,” Kagome finally asked, “was the Great Youkai?”
 
“Yes,” Miatsu continued. “The Great Youkai took the Shikon no Tama and quadrupled his already immense power. He began conquering villages and lands all around. Many strong slayers and other youkai tried for years and years to slay him, but they were unsuccessful.”
 
“Inu no Taisho, was it?” Miroku said, “Inu no Taisho is the one who at last brought the Great Youkai down?” He rubbed his right hand irritably. It was bothering him.
 
“Yes,” Miatsu replied, “Inu no Taisho was a great dog youkai, lord over the western lands. He met up with the Great Youkai and battled him. Inu no Taisho was unable to kill the Great Youkai, but he did steal the Shikon no Tama back, but before the Great Youkai had lost possession of it, he had put a curse over the jewel, a very powerful curse. The Great Youkai is said to have died, but I know that for sure he is not dead. I have seen him since that day. He is a very weak creature now, but swore vengeance over the dog demon.”
 
“Inu no Taisho is dead,” Inuyasha said flatly. “He died in another battle. The Great Youkai or whatever can't get his revenge.”
 
Miatsu looked strangely at Inuyasha for a moment because of his matter-of-fact tone, then he nodded. “Yes, Inu no Taisho is dead. But while he was alive, he was powerful enough to contain the curse until it was given into the possession of a young priestess by the name of Kikyo…” Inuyasha's ear twitched. “Who was killed only a few…”
 
“What does it matter?” Inuyasha said quickly. “She obviously didn't do that great of a job containing the curse because…”
 
Suddenly Miroku stood up, letting out an ear-shattering yell. He gripped tight to his hand. Sango and Kagome gasped, knowing from only the day before what was happening to him. Sango stood up and ran to Miroku.
 
“San—go!” He yelled, “Get away! AHHH!”
 
“No!” she said solidly.
 
Kagome ran to his other side, tears gathering in her eyes. Inuyasha watched in utter confusion.
 
“What going on!” Shippo cried, walking toward Miroku across the top of the table, “What's happening to him?”
 
A purple light begin shining from his hand and he screamed louder. Miroku tried as hard as he could to keep his fist tight over the hole, but the wind began sucking in through his fingers.
 
“Get away!!!” he yelled again.
 
Shippo could feel the sudden suction as he tried to back away. But Miroku couldn't contain the wind tunnel any longer. His figures burst outward, and the vacuum opened up. Shippo screamed as he was lifted off the table, and the table lifted off the ground. Miroku tried to move his arm and aim some where else, but the wind was too powerful. Sango and Kagome saw it happening, but couldn't do anything. Shippo cried as he flew toward the monk's hand.
 
“SHIPPO!” Kagome screamed, reaching out.
 
Before anyone could see it happen, a red blur leaped straight in front of Miroku, grabbing the kitsune by the tail, and falling to the other side of the room with a thud. Miroku gripped his prayer beads tight until the suction finally stopped.
 
Inuyasha laid sprawled out on the floor, an unconscious Shippo on his chest. Kagome ran to them, picking the fox up in her arms.
 
“Oh, Shippo-chan! I'm so glad you're alright!”
 
He opened his eyes, and saw Kagome crying, soon joining her. As the realization and fear from what had just nearly happened hit him, he cried harder. Miroku walked slowly over to him, apologizing out his ears to the young fox. He took Shippo in his arms.
 
“I'm so sorry, Shippo. I'm so…”
 
“It's okay,” Shippo said through his tears. “I know it's not your fault.”
 
Kirara leaped onto Miroku's shoulder and meowed a meow of comfort to Shippo. He smiled up at his friend. Kagome sat in silence as she thought about what if Shippo had been sucked in…she couldn't bare the thought. Inuyasha, who had yet to move, finally sat up right next to the princess.
 
“Well…that was close,” he said in a heavy sigh.
 
Kagome let her head fall to Inuyasha's shoulder, her forehead resting on him. “Thank you so much…Thank you, Inuyasha. I don't know wha…”
 
He lifted her head up by her bangs. “Don't sweat it.”
 
She smiled, a tear running down her face.
 
“No, really. Stop the water works.”
 
Sango stood over everyone, smiling.
 
Miatsu had long ago stood up from the table. He took a step back as a realization hit him. He placed his hand on his forehead, his eyes wide in shock as he watched the six of them comfort each other.
 
“Oh, Kami…” he said quietly. They all looked up at him, noticing his shocked expression. He could suddenly feel it. Miatsu felt the energy they were giving off. “You are…all six of you…you are part of the curse…”
 
They all looked around at each other uncertainly.
 
“That's why, isn't it? That is why you are here learning about the Shikon Jewel…about the curse…about Midoriko…you're part of the whole thing!!”
 
Kagome wiped her drying tears and stood up. “We are. All of us. We're all cursed.” Kagome looked down at the others. “Well, except Kirara.” She smiled a small smile before looking back at Miatsu in total seriousness. “Do you know anything about the curse? Anything that might help us?”
 
Miatsu looked a bit uncertain.
 
“For ones who are under the curse, we know so little.”
 
“I know only of how the curse came about, and that it obviously has yet to be broken. But I do know…” Everyone's faces lit up with a small bit of hope. “I know that there are only three ways to rid the jewel of the curse. One, The Great Youkai himself removes it. Two, the jewel is completely destroyed. Or three, the rightful owners of the jewel can remove it.”
 
“The rightful owners?” Kagome asked.
 
“Yes, the rightful owners,” Miatsu replied.
 
“Who might that be?”
 
“Midoriko. Midoriko or her descendants.”
 
“Do we know who they are?”
 
“No. Midoriko had only two daughters, and it was over five centuries ago. That record would have been lost a long time ago, if there are even any relatives still alive.” Miatsu was silent for a minute. He closed his eyes, everyone watching him intently. Finally he spoke. “There are more than just you five.”
 
“More?”
 
“That are cursed. There are others.”
 
“Oh, great!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
“Well, one of them is my brother,” Sango said.
 
“Can you tell us who else is curse and how?” Miroku asked, releasing Shippo and standing.
 
Miatsu shook his head. “No, but I can tell you all about your part of the curse probably, since you are here.”
 
“What do you mean you can tell us our parts?” Inuyasha demanded rather roughly.
 
“Well, I am a powerful monk., and I do have immense spiritual powers, but I have also learned a few useful powers off to the side of being a monk.” He smiled mischievously. “Everyone take a seat at the table,” he said, pointing back as his slab of wood that had been moved several feet during Miroku's hand fiasco.
 
Everyone sat down, Miatsu taking the head of the table once again. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply before looking at Sango, the person nearest to him.
 
“Your name is…” he paused.
 
“I'm Sango.”
 
“Yes, of course, Sango.” He took another deep breath, leaning casually in toward the girl. “You see your brother,” Miatsu said with a low voice.
 
Sango gulped and nodded.
 
“What's his name?”
 
“Kohaku.”
 
“You see Kohaku.” He paused. “In visions, you can see and hear your younger brother. Death threats, is it not? Every time you see him, he has already slain the others under the curse. You see your dead friends, don't you?”
 
“They are always around him. Dead,” Sango said flatly.
 
“And someone else is there…”
 
Sango looked down at her lap. Kagome could tell she was getting uncomfortable. She stood up and walked over next to Sango, sitting there, and putting a hand on her shoulder. Sango didn't look up at Kagome, but smiled. Her smiled quickly faded, though, as she continued talking.
 
“A white baboon.”
 
“A white baboon!?!?!” Inuyasha exclaimed, leaping to his feet. Everyone shot their eyes in his direction in surprise at his reaction. “You see him!?!”
 
Miatsu shook his head. “We'll get to you in a minute, hanyou. Sit and wait, please.”
 
He mumbled some profanities under his breath and plopped back down next to the table.
 
“Yes. A white baboon. He has an ever so creepy voice.”
 
“He tells you your brother has turned against you?”
 
Sango nodded slowly.
 
“And that you will inevitably turn with him?”
 
She looked away.
 
Miatsu seemed to understand that she was getting super uncomfortable. “Alright. Well…you know that someday, because of the curse, your brother will eventually slay you.”
 
Tears filled her eyes and she closed them as tight as she could. Everyone in the room was in completely silence, looking at Sango with such sorrow. But they all knew that they shared in her suffering, and within a few more minutes, all of the curse that concerned them would be exposed.
 
Miatsu fell silent for a moment as his gaze slowly slipped from Sango to Miroku. The monk made a slight nod as his gaze dropped as well. Miatsu looked at him intently for a minute.
 
“Miroku, right?”
 
Yes.
 
“You are a monk-in-training?”
 
Yes again.
 
“Those prayer beads…they are the best thing you can do to somewhat control your cursed hand. You right hand is your part of the Shikon no Tama's curse. It is a vacuum, a wind void, if you may, that, when opened, sucks in everything in its path. Obviously, as it was demonstrated earlier.” Miatsu said, shrugging. “You can open the hole when you wish by removing to prayer beads, but often the void sucks in against your will. It is extremely painful, and will just as well suck up everything except yourself.”
 
Miroku lifted his hand up, opening his palm, and looking at the hole that was covered by the cloth and beads. His gaze seemed to be so sad, so very different from any other emotion he would usually express. “I suppose that's true. I've never really understood it quite frankly.”
 
“About the same time that Sango-sama is killed by her brother, you will be killed by your wind tunnel. Every time it opens, the pain you feel the is the hole spreading. It will eventually consume you.”
 
Miroku gave a sad nod. So that is my fate, eh? To be sucked into the cursed void…
 
Miatsu was silent for a moment before he moved to Shippo. As soon as his gaze landed on the little fox, Shippo gulped and instantly became very nervous.
 
“You, fox-demon.”
 
Shippo's eyes were closed tight. “Hm??”
 
“You are the youngest of the cursed, are you not?”
 
“I guess that's true…” he said shyly.
 
“You are a youkai so the curse affects you differently,” Miatsu stated. Everyone was a bit surprised. Did being a youkai really affect the way one was cursed??
 
“Your part of the curse lies in the new moon.”
 
Shippo gulped again as the vivid memories of the many nights of the new moon came into his mind.
 
“You go through a transformation, becoming a large kitsune demon…your mind set to killing. Much of your suffering comes from the fact that the first time you transformed you killed all of your family, leaving you alone in the world.”
 
Shippo's eyes had begun to fill with tears.
 
“At the same time that your friends Sango and Miroku-sama die, you will follow, transforming into your monstrous form and killing until you die. That, little one, is your fate.”
 
Kagome felt so bad for poor Shippo. This Miatsu guy sure wasn't beating around the bush any. The straight facts, that was all he was interested in. I suppose, though, thought Kagome, that it is the only way to make us understand the gravity of the curse. I'm worried, but still glad that we are beginning to understand. Miatsu stood up and looked at the princess. Dang it! I'm next. Oh well, I pretty much know my part anyway.
 
“Kagome-hime.”
 
“Yes, sir.”
 
He looked at her very intently for a second before his eyes opened wider and he leaned back, looking a little befuddled.
 
“Sir?” Kagome asked, a little worried.
 
“That's so strange…” he said very softly. He looked at the princess again. Everyone else, Inuyasha especially, leaned in and became very interested in what Miatsu had to say about her part of the curse. “You are not physically cursed at all.”
 
Kagome looked down at her lap. “Yes, I know sir.”
 
It was now Sango's turn to comfort her friend as she placed a hand on Kagome's shoulder.
 
“But you…”Miatsu paused. He seemed extremely confused. “It's your fault…”
 
Kagome shut her eyes, trying to hold in the tears. She knew that. She knew it was her fault, but…He didn't have to say it!
 
“She knows her part,” Sango said before Miatsu could continue. “We all do. Just leave her be. She doesn't need to hear it again.”
 
Miatsu watched the young Kagome for a moment. She will never die to the curse…but now she knows that everyone else will and that it's her fault. The pain…it must be the worst of all of them. Poor girl.
 
The old monk closed his eyes, letting a passive, understanding smile come across his face. Kagome let out a small sigh of relief when he moved on from her, setting his gaze at Inuyasha. The princess lifted her face and looked at the hanyou as well. She was extremely curious as to his part of the curse.
 
“Inuyasha…” Miatsu said finally.
 
“You don't gatta go into great detail or nothin',” Inuyasha said, looking upwards and folding his arms across his chest. “I've heard it all before.”
 
Miatsu smiled at his attitude. “As a half demon, it seems your curse is somewhat doubled considering you are human on the nights of the new moon and demon on the nights of the full moon.”
 
Everyone in the room quietly gasped as their attention was focused even more on Inuyasha. Miatsu looked intently at him. Inuyasha fidgeted as he was beginning to get uncomfortable.
 
“You will die as a demon, a killing machine. You will kill until you die. Your fate is somewhat similar to the young kitsune's. As a human you are weak, more susceptible to attack from demons. On the dark nights you are also much more in tune with your human emotions. The pain you feel for kill…”
 
“Enough!!” Inuyasha yelled suddenly, slamming a fist on the table. Everyone was silent in shock. He breathed heavily, not lifting his fist from the now cracked table. He held his head low so that no one could see his expression. “I told you not to go into detail,” he said in a low, raspy voice. “I know what happened and I know about the new damn moon. It's not easy being human, believe me.” From his hidden face, he opened his closed eyes, his clenched fist loosening just a bit. He flashed a mischievous smile that was seen by no one in the room. “We've learned enough about the curse,” he said in a little lighter tone of voice than before. “I think it's about time we get going. Thank you for your help.”
 
Miatsu stared at him. Inuyasha had yet to raise his face or move his fist from the table. Miroku stood.
 
“Yes, domo arigatou,” he said bowing, “for all your help.”
 
Miatsu returned the bow. “My pleasure.”
 
Everyone followed Miroku's lead, standing from the table and stretching just a little. The tension from Inuyasha's outburst still hung in the air as the hanyou remained still.
 
What could he be hiding? Kagome thought, watching him. Did he kill someone? What is the pain he feels that is so great??
 
Miatsu watched his guests prepare to leave. “I suggest you get the Shikon jewel into your hands before something happens to it…the six of you searching for such information will not go unnoticed. If someone wants the jewel for malicious reasons, they will take this time to steal it.”
 
Sango and Kagome looked at each other shamefully.
 
“It's…it's already been stolen,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“What?!”
 
“The Shikon Jewel was stolen right before we left. That's why we've been in a hurry to learn about it. We have to…”
 
“You must hurry and get that jewel back into your possession, princess! Hurry, before it falls into the wrong hands!”
 
I'm totally sure that's already happened… Kagome thought with a sigh.
 
Kagome gathered her things, but looking around, discovered that Inuyasha and Miroku had suddenly disappeared.
 
“Hey, Sango-chan,” Kagome said, tapping her on the shoulder. “Where are the boys?”
 
Sango looked around. “Um…”
 
Miatsu laughed. “They left a few minutes ago. Supposed they're in more of a hurry than you are!”
 
“I never even saw them move!” Kagome exclaimed, throwing her bag over her shoulder.
 
Kirara and Shippo ran towards the exit. Sango lifted her Hiraikotsu from the ground.
 
“You ready, Kagome-sama?”
 
She smiled and nodded. “Thank you again, Miatsu-sama.”
 
He bowed. “Anytime, princess!”
 
They made their way hurriedly toward the exit of the cave.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
 
“Naraku?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Yes,” Miroku replied. “He's the one referred to as the Great Youkai.”
 
The two of them were walking side by side through the tunnel back out to the world outside of the cave. They had walked silently out of Miatsu's presence so that they could talk alone before the girls caught up.
 
“And he's that white baboon…” Inuyasha said, his voice steaming with bitterness.
 
“You see him as a white baboon too, then? Sango says she does, but I have never seen it. Why does he trouble you?”
 
“I see him sometimes…Shippo and Kirara can too so I know it's not just me. He will just be in the trees sometimes…there for a second and then gone as soon as you blink. Every once in a while he will talk. He talks as if he knows me. That bastard…”
 
“Hm…I see.”
 
“Why? Sango sees him? Does he have something to do with—“
 
“The curse?” Miroku cut him off. “I don't know, but I've wondered myself. Naraku is the king's current advisor. He has been for years. They say he is the one who ordered the king have youkai exiled.”
 
“Keh! Nonsense. Great Youkai!?!?! Exile youkai from the kingdom!?!?! That's stupid! Besides…it's that girl's fault…” he said, swallowing the last sentence.
 
“I know it sounds weird, but it seems that this Naraku character has a huge plan. I don't know if it is all to get the jewel back or what, but everything bad that has happened in the kingdom in the past decade seems to point back to him. Including us getting cursed.”
 
“But if he's plotting then…”
 
“Then us leaving was exactly what he wanted.” They reached the mouth of the cave. Miroku stopped and faced Inuyasha as soon as they were standing in the grass again. “I haven't a doubt in my mind that he is the one who stole the jewel just before we left. Kagome-hime said she saw him just before we left the castle and he…he might have caught on to us. Like I said, I'm not quite sure…but we have got to hurry and find him.”
 
Inuyasha thought for a moment without saying a word. He didn't want to hang around with humans more than necessary, but he knew that Miroku was right and they were all going to have to work together if they wanted to break the curse.
 
“Yeah,” Inuyasha replied finally. He looked up at the sky. “I guess.”
 
Miroku smiled. “You really don't wanna help us, do you?”
 
Inuyasha shot the monk a smug look and almost laughed at him. “That ain't it. I'm helpin' you, ain't I?”
 
“I suppose you are.” Miroku looked at Inuyasha's expression. “Is it just for yourself?”
 
“Huh?”
“Are you just helping us so that you will be free?”
 
Inuyasha thought for a moment. “Maybe. I mean, all of us need it just as much as the next person. I'm tired of the curse and so is Shippo. Our life would be a hell of a lot easier without it.”
 
“Wouldn't all of ours…”
 
“You seem awfully strange for a monk, you know that? What's your motivation then, besides yourself?”
 
He smiled, copying Inuyasha's move of looking up at the sky. “This wind tunnel's enough of a motivation for me.”
 
Yeah right… Inuyasha thought. His thoughts showing on his face. “I maybe a hanyou but I ain't stupid.”
Miroku laughed and sighed. “Fine.” He seemed a little hesitant. “Sango. I'm tired of seeing her suffer too. I haven't really known her all that long, but I want to break this curse for both of us. And for Kagome, of course, too. We all want to be free. I want to get us there.”
 
Inuyasha didn't reply. They both looked up at the sky, for no reason whatsoever, it was particularly interesting in this situation. Miroku smiled again.
 
“We have to save the Shikon Jewel. For them if no body else.”
 
Inuyasha didn't make any outward acknowledgement to his statement, but inside, for reasons he didn't even know, he was screaming yes. Yes…we have to do it.
 
“Inuyasha!”
 
“Miroku!”
 
The two boys turned around to see their four companions coming into the light from the darkness of the cave. Kirara had taken her place back on Sango's shoulder. Shippo was sitting on Kagome's bag that hung from one of her shoulders.
 
“Ready to go find the Jewel?” Kagome asked enthusiastically as she reached Inuyasha and Miroku.
 
Miroku nodded firmly. “Absolutely.”
 
Inuyasha didn't say anything, just watched as Sango immediately went to Miroku's side. Shippo said something to Kagome and she smiled at him and said something back, Inuyasha couldn't hear them. They were almost into the forest before Inuyasha noticed that he wasn't walking with them. He snapped back into reality and ran after them.
 
“Lost there, Inuyasha?” Kagome said with a laugh.
 
“He he—very funny.”
 
Now they all knew what exactly they were fighting to get rid of, everyone seemed to be a little lighter in spirit. Though their pain was all now out in the open, they suddenly felt the need and want to trust each other with everything. Even Inuyasha saw a flint of hope in staying with them and breaking the curse. He looked at Kagome again.
 
Yes. We will break the curse…for them if no one else…
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
A/N: Wow! Long! 12 pages here. Ya know, this is the 3rd chapter in a row that has ended with Inu's thoughts. And he is actually sounding a little selfless! WOW! Haha! Oh well. Chapter 15 is on its way!!! Thank you to reviewers and readers alike. If you're not reviewing, I'd really like to know what you think! Till next time, Jaa!