InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanyou no kokoro no naka de; Within the Heart of the Half-Demon ❯ A Chronicle of Strange Encounters Part 2 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and co. are owned by Rumiko Takahashi. Not me.
 
A/N: Sorry for the long delay!! I've kind of been doing a lot of reading lately and less writing. Just one of the phases. No fear, though, I have returned and am ready to write more!! The reading break was actually quite good for me, though, because it exercised my writing skills. I am very pleased with the way this chapter turned out. It might be one of my favorite chapters so far! There's a little bit of fluff in here too on everyone's part, for those of you who have been waiting.
 
ElvinYouko:Thank you so much for your awesome critique!! I really appreciate it! I have noticed some of the problems you talked about and I am currently working on fixing them. Once again, thank you!
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
åŠã‚ˆã† 㮠心ã®ä¸­ã§; Within the Heart of the Half-Demon
 
Chapter 18
 
A Chronicle of Strange Encounters Part 2
 
 
 
“Onigumo?” Miroku asked to stranger. It was an odd name to be sure; a name that made the monk a little suspicious for some reason that he didn't really understand. First of all, Oni meant demon, and that, if nothing else, was reason enough for him to be suspicious…But most of all, he simply did not trust the slightly friendly, yet ominous demeanor of this man. Strange clothes, strange name, not to mention Sango seemed extremely disturbed by his presence, and that really bothered him. “Are you from the near by village, Onigumo-san?”
 
“I suppose you could say that,” he replied, only raising Miroku's suspicions.
 
That voice… Sango thought, not relaxing her muscles, even at his kind words. It sounds so familiar. From a bush nearby, the demon slayer heard something scurry, rustling the dead leaves a bit. She glanced quickly over to the bush, still keeping her tired body tense. Seeing nothing, she let the occurrence pass by and gave her attention back to Miroku and this stranger Onigumo.
 
“If you don't mind my asking, sir, why are you wearing that old armor? It seems a bit out of season now…” Miroku continued, meaningless questions seeming to be the only way to fill the awkward silence.
 
Onigumo smiled, not moving his gaze from his two questioners. “Yes, I suppose it is.”
 
Miroku waited for his explanation, but none came. The stranger stood silent, his expression unchanging. What was this man after? He sure doesn't seem very willing to hand out information, the monk thought, glancing at Sango and then back at Onigumo. The silence continued.
 
“Well,” the stranger said at last, “if you don't mind me asking, what are you and young lady doing out alone in the Youkai no Mori? That's a bit odd in and of it self, don't you think?”
 
“Odd? I guess so…” Okay—This is getting nowhere. Miroku thought, his suspicions continuing to rise. His deportment was so strange and apprehensive that the monk was beginning to feel extremely uncomfortable standing in his presence. “I'm sorry, sir,” he said finally, unable to bear it any longer, “but we are going to have to take our leave now, we're sort of in the middle of something,” Miroku stated with a wave, leading Sango hurriedly away.
 
“Can't you stay for just a moment longer?” Onigumo interjected somewhat callously, raising his open hand out in front of him, “I have something I would like to show the two of you.”
 
 
The largest river in the Youkai no Mori curved like a coiled snake through the large forest. It began far north of the Shikon Kingdom, and made its way down through the large forests, through the villages in the kingdom, and emptied into sea. Life around the edges of the river blossomed, thus making it a dangerous place for any weakling or youngling that had no protection to inhabit. The youkai within the forest tended to live near the water, an obvious home for any loner trying to survive. This process in its entirety did a good job of ridding the land of smaller, weaker creatures, leaving only the fittest to pray among what was left in the vicinity. Survival of the fittest at its best.
 
On this day, for the first time in ages, a small human girl splashed in the shallows of the water. She seemed completely oblivious to any of the youkai that might be watching her from the shadows, dreaming of having her for dinner. But despite these demon's wishes, none sprang forth from the underbrush to attack the girl. She played happily, drank to her content, rinsing her body, swimming and playing merrily without a single thought to the evil that could befall her. The youkai stayed back, sensing that there was a greater power protecting her, one none of them could even wish to challenge.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama! Look-it!” she cried happily, holding up a stone. “Look at this one, m'lord! It is smoother and shinier than any of the others!”
 
Sesshomaru stood boldly at the edge of the water, watching Rin from the corner of his eye. He did not acknowledge her statement at all, but she did not seem to mind. She went along cheerfully, assuming that he had heard her, but as always was choosing not to answer.
 
“Don't you want to come for a swim, too, Lord Sesshomaru?” she asked innocently.
 
“I don't swim.” His voice deep and slow, reeking of greatness and power. It made anyone whose ears it fell upon feel unworthy of life, so utterly powerless compared to his pride and confidence that the single look of his amber eyes would be enough to squash their meaningless lives out of existence.
 
“Why do you not wish to swim, my lord?”
 
“I have no need to.”
 
“But it's terribly fun! I'm sure if you were to give it a try you would find it much to your liking.” She giggled as she threw water up in the air, watching the droplets fall and thunk back into the water. The dog demon watched her throw the water up again. She seemed so intrigued by the water drops that it puzzled him. She stared blankly at the river's surface for a moment before raising her eyes shamelessly to Sesshomaru. “Did you know that water droplets are really circles?”
 
He gave no reply, his amber orbs unmoving.
 
“Everywhere there is a picture of a water drop it is always shaped like this.” She drew a typical raindrop shape in the air with her small finger. “But really, they are circles!” She threw water up in the air again. “They're not pointed on the top at all!”
 
Sesshomaru lowered his gaze only slightly to watch Rin splash the water. He had never noticed, nor even cared to notice, but sure enough. Water drops were circles. He shifted his gaze back out beyond her. He seemed to be watching something, but there was nothing around except the trees and the river. He could sense the presence of many youkai watching them from the shadows, but weak demons like them did not concern him in the least. Still, he looked out past the river, his eyes full of thought.
 
Rin ran around splashing and laughing in the river until she could no more, at last falling backwards and floating on her back in the river. She spit the water that had gotten her mouth up like a fountain. “Look, Sesshomaru-sama!” she exclaimed, getting his attention. She filled her mouth with the water again and spit it up into the air. “I'm a fountain, see!”
 
The inu youkai lowered his eyes more than he had yet to. He did not know what came over him, but he suddenly felt the urge to smile. He refused, looking almost emotionless down onto the girl who seemed to be enjoying herself to no end. She somehow had an effect on him like no one else ever had. He had not wanted to smile in—years. But now…here with this strange human girl, his heart felt like it never had. Her young innocence and love of everything fascinated him, and the longer he thought about the more frustrated he became. It was not like her presence made him want to be different, or made him want to change his ways, for he had nothing to change. He had done nothing that he regretted, and Rin did not make him suddenly feel like a better person. It was more like, every time she smiled and laughed, the flood gates of emotion that had not been open as far back as he could remember, were slowly being released. Like every sense of happiness and wanting to enjoy life that had long been locked away was suddenly let free. As he thought, he subconsciously raised his eyes back toward the forest, a sight that seemed to help him think.
 
“What are you looking at, lord?” Rin piped, interrupting his thoughts. She looked back into the forest, trying to follow his gaze. “Is something wrong?” Her voice carried no hint of worry like it once had. Though she probably knew that there were youkai lingering close by, that thought did not frighten her. She had come to know that as long as Sesshomaru was near that she would be protected.
 
“It's nothing, Rin,” he replied quietly. Looking out into the distance for only a moment more, he turned and began walking away from the river. “Come, it's time to move on from this place.”
 
Rin stood up, water falling like falls from her wet kimono. She smiled gleefully and skipped out of the water, running after him. “Yes, Sesshomaru-sama!” She rang her clothes and hair out a bit, dripping not quite so badly as she followed close behind him. He was silent, something the young girl had grown very used to, but she could also tell that something was weighing heavy on his mind. Not much that the lord ever did really troubled Rin; she had become used to his habits and personality, even in the short amount of time she had been with him. His disposition, however, had continually changed as the morning progressed, and that was beginning to bother her.
 
From ahead, they heard someone approaching. Rin ducked and hid behind Sesshomaru, but the inu youkai showed no hesitation, simply continued walking toward the sound. It was not until the green skinned toad youkai appeared from the brush that Sesshomaru halted and Rin with him.
 
“Jaken. You've come back with word, I hope.”
 
“Aye, mi lord!”
 
Sesshomaru silently waited for the toad's tale.
 
“I found the demon Naraku,” he began. “He has slightly altered his appearance…for all intensive purposes, of course, met with a few of your half-brother's new companions. They were merely humans, a monk and a demon slayer, but Naraku seemed to know them and want something to do with them. He introduced himself as Onigumo, for what reason I do not know, and had a decent conversation with the humans.”
 
“Is that all you saw before you ran away?”
 
“Oh, mi lord! I did not run away! I left the scene simply so I could report to you what I had seen of Naraku's behavior and so that I would not get caught by them and face my certain death!”
 
“Running, in other words,” Rin said quietly.
 
For reasons Sesshomaru could not understand, suddenly the thought of collaborating with Naraku seemed so utterly disgusting, putting a bad taste into his mouth. He never had fancied the hanyou much, but now his dirty ideas and schemes seemed outright repulsive. But if I ever wish to rule the lands like my father did once, Sesshomaru thought, and if I want to rid the lands of that pest Inuyasha, then I have no choice but to continue working with him. For now at least…I have every intention of killing that half-wit after this is all said and done. That I am sure of.
 
 
Shippo and Kirara flew high above the forest. They had kept their eyes peeled for any sign of Naraku or the Shikon no Tama from within the forest, but the searched had given them no answers. The heat of the afternoon was beginning to wear them down, too, and Kirara's strength was diminishing. Her altitude was slowly slipping until they were hovering among the tops of the trees.
 
“Do you want to take a break, Kirara?” Shippo asked, noticing the leaves surrounding them.
 
She let out an exasperated “meow!” and landed softly on the forest ground. Shippo leaped from her back and she, almost involuntarily, lit into flames, a tiny cat emerging. Shippo looked around, not recognizing by sight or smell where they were. From the air it had been much easier to tell his way around, and he was now, in all honestly, quite lost.
 
“I sure do hope everyone is doing okay. Don't you, Kirara? I suppose we're not doing a very good job as messengers.” Shippo plopped down near a tree, discouraged by his own words. He was not scared, it wasn't the first time he and Kirara had ever been alone in a strange part of the Youkai no Mori, but he still wished he could have found Naraku or at least been some sort of help. He was beginning to feel so completely useless. He looked over at his companion. She had already curled up in a ball and was sound asleep. He let out a surrendering sigh. Due to an extreme lack of sleep, his tired mind began to wander off, recalling an event foregone, one that now ached his heart to remember…
 
“Shippo, sweetheart! Could you bring me a bucket of water from the stream!”
 
The young kit sat up, looking back at his mother who was standing in their small kitchen. “Yes, mama!” he called back. He was holding one of his younger sisters, and set her down next to several of his other siblings freeing his arms, and he left the room. Outside the small den sat a few empty wooden buckets. Picking one up, he swung it around as he walked happily down to the stream.
 
Going to the water's edge alone had always frightened him just a little. Larger beasts lived there, so he tried to make his trips to the river as seldom and quick as possible. He reached the muddy bank, his small fox paws sinking into the sand and he leaned over the edge of the stream. The water was especially clear that day, and Shippo could see right down to the bottom. He dunked the bucket in the water and heaved it up, soaking his clothes in the process. The bucket was nearly as big as he was, and filling it with water added so much weight that it became quite the challenge for the little kit. He set it down on the sand next to him and exhaled, wiping his small hand over his forehead.
 
From a tree above him, an ugly demon suddenly flew and, with a large splash, hit the river. Shippo gasped and took a few steps back, trying to keep from spilling the bucket. The demon rose from the water, his nasty head aiming straight for the tiny kitsune. He screamed, running backward as best as he could. So this was why he hated fetching water!
 
He knew his death was near, he closed his eyes and braced for the oncoming predator. When suddenly he heard a shout and a cry, then something landed in the river. After a few moments passed and he wasn't attacked, he opened his eyes, his whole body still quivering. He was surprised to find the demon's body in pieces all over the river bank, and a strange boy standing in the river. He had his back to the fox, so all he could see was the boy's silver hair and red clothes.
 
Too stunned to speak, Shippo kept silent.
 
“You better watch yourself, kid,” the boy said, turning and facing him. Shippo noted the dog ears atop his head and his deep amber eyes. “You could get eaten alive out here, ya know.”
 
Shippo nodded slightly, finally indicating to the stranger that he was not deaf. “Th-thank you, sir,” Shippo stuttered as he spoke.
 
The boy waved a hand in the air. “Don't mention it.” He saw the bucket that Shippo had been trying to carry. “That's little big for a tyke like you to be hauling around, don't you think?” He took a few steps toward Shippo, who shrank back warily. “You want me to carry it for you, kid?”
 
“My mama says I'm to never talk to strangers,” Shippo replied, sounding very rehearsed.
 
“I saved your life, didn't I?”
 
Shippo nodded slowly. “But I'm strong. I can carry this on my own. I do it a lot.”
 
The dog boy smiled and gave a small laugh. “Alright, if your sure.”
 
Shippo nodded again, and lifted the bucket off the ground, walking slowly away. He could feel the stranger's eyes watch him until he disappeared from his sight. Shippo decided he would not let it bother him, and thanked the stranger in his head from the help he had given him as he reached his den, taking the water to his mother.
 
Shippo opened his eyes which seemed a little glossy thanks to the tears that had puddle over them. None fell, however, as he smiled as the good memories of his mother. She had been so kind, never asking too much of him, and every once in a while, at times like these, he really missed her. Tears of a different kind filled his eyes as the images of that monster filled his mind. How he hated the curse! The thought then occurred to him that he was doing no one any good by laying in the leaves thinking of his mother…the curse needed to be broken and he and Kirara had slacked off so they could rest. He began to feel like such a child at his actions. Even more of a child, perhaps, than he had been that day at the stream, more a child than he had ever been in those days when he did everything he could for his family. If only he could fetch one more bucket of water for his mother…
 
Then he suddenly remembered that boy's face that had saved him from the demons on the river. The young smiling face looked strangely familiar. Red clothes…silver hair. He had never remembered the face until just that moment. His eyes had been sparkling amber. “That boy…” he said aloud, picturing his face more vivid than ever before. “I never knew his name, but he seemed a lot like Inuyasha.” He thought about it for a moment, realizing that it must have been him. His appearance had been the same, a bit younger, but unmistakably Inuyasha, the hanyou who he had grown to trust and love. He was much different now, though. He was no longer that smiling boy that had brought so much joy into the distressed kitsune's life. That was him before Kikyou came around, He thought, He was always much nicer before that…
 
“Not that I blame him…”
 
Suddenly, a sound from not far away made Shippo jump. He looked around, causing Kirara to raise her head from her sleep.
 
“Someone's coming, Kirara,” Shippo whispered, inching closer to her.
 
The owner of the sounds, whoever it was, was beginning to talk and they listened closely to what the voices were saying. “Oh…” Shippo cried. “If only I had ears like Inuyasha!”
 
“What was that!” a voice called back, one Shippo recognized immediately. Bright red became visible through the trees in the fading sunlight. “Did I scare you, there, kid?” Inuyasha said, emerging from some thick trees, Kagome close behind him.
 
The kitsune simply smiled, a wave of relief rushing over him at the sight of his friends. Kirara meowed in acknowledgement of them before laying her head back down and falling back to sleep.
 
“I guess you two gave up on finding the monkey, huh?” Inuyasha said, sitting down next to him.
 
A small wave of guiltiness then fell over Shippo as Inuyasha's words made him feel like he had let Inuyasha and Kagome down. “We didn't want to give up, Inuyasha!” he exclaimed, trying to explain his apparent lack of motivation. “But Kirara was tired and hot, she couldn't fly anymore! And we looked all over, but we couldn't see you or Sango and Miroku or Naraku or…!” He sniffled. “I'm sorry…”
 
Kagome squatted down like Inuyasha had next to the kit. “Don't worry about Shippo; the important thing is that you tried.”
 
Shippo smiled, her comment making him feel a little better. Kagome had seemed to make him feel better every time something bad happened. She was so much nicer to him than Inuyasha ever was. He liked that about her. After a short silence, Shippo felt he should speak. “Did you two find anything?” he asked.
 
“We found nothing,” Kagome replied. “But we ran into a wolf youkai.”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes.
 
“You mean Kouga?” Shippo asked. Kagome was a bit surprised that he knew of the wolf youkai too. It was apparent that they had a history with the wolves; one Inuyasha obviously did not want to go into. At the fox child's strange expression, she became even more curious as to what had happened between Inuyasha and this Kouga fellow that had been so bad.
 
“Yeah…that stupid wolf,” Inuyasha mumbled bitterly.
 
Yup, Kagome thought. Not a doubt…something happened between them, Inuyasha seems to really hate him! I don't really know why, he seemed pretty nice to me. But I suppose that he probably knows better than I the true nature of such a youkai. “Don't worry, Inuyasha,” Kagome reassured him. “We probably won't see him again. And I promise to stay out of his way if we do.” She smiled at him, showing him somehow that she really did trust him and what he had to say about the wolf. Not only that, but she also trusted that if something were to happen, that he would protect her.
 
That, Inuyasha decided, made him feel much better.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
The strange man called Onigumo smiled darkly as he reached his left hand slowly into his chest armor. The sun that was beginning to disappear behind the mountains to the west moved from behind a tree to where a ray was cast on him sideways, giving his body a bizarre light that, while opposite of its normal effect, seemed to darken his aura. His eyes flashed a strange red in the light, causing his audience of the monk and the demon slayer to flinch slightly as his evil intent was slowly becoming illuminated to them.
 
Something to show us? Miroku repeated to himself. What on earth did that mean? He watched intently as Onigumo's clutched hand was pulled from his armor. Sango grew even tenser as the hand came to rest, still clutched tight over an apparently small object in front to him.
 
“I suppose this should be no surprise to you,” Onigumo said. “It isn't like I am trying to hide my true identity from you…I just did not want you running off before I had the chance to talk to you.”
 
Miroku found himself utterly confused at the stranger's words. Sango, however, gasped and it became apparent that she had come to a realization. Miroku turned and looked at her, even more confused by the horrid look on her face. What is it?? he silently asked her.
 
“Na - Naraku…” she whispered.
 
Miroku shot his gaze back to the armored man, his eyes showing shock and a small hint of fear.
 
A wicked laugh escaped the man's lips as he lifted his head up to the darkening sky, a sudden wind picking up his hair from around his sides. He looked back at them, his face slightly changed, eyes beady and red, and leaving no room for doubt that he was indeed Naraku. He opened his closed hand, revealing the Shikon Jewel lying in his palm.
 
“I'm so glad that you too have come to find the jewel. But where, pray tell, is the hanyou Inuyasha? Was he not traveling through the forest with you to serve as protection?”
 
Miroku subconsciously grabbed the prayer beads around his right hand. Sango lifted her Hiraikotsu from the ground, preparing to throw it if need be.
 
“It's a shame he's gone now, isn't it? For now you weak humans will have no source of protection from the evil youkai that lurk in this forest. Not that he would do much good…” he smiled darkly, lowing the tone of his voice. “I'm far too powerful.”
 
“We had every intention of finding you, Naraku!” Miroku retorted, his voice giving off the feel of proud confidence, something he was extremely lacking at the moment, “And fighting you for the jewel! You hanyou!!”
 
Miroku saw him wince at the comment, but the looked disappeared quickly as he covered the fact with another dark smile. “Now that I have the jewel, I am to become a full youkai again…just like I was meant to be, and once I am that youkai again, you shall be dead.”
 
Miroku tugged his prayer beads off a little further, contemplating whether or not he should open it. He knew it was his curse, and would most likely hurt him tremendously to use it, but if it would save them from Naraku…but wait, he thought. Naraku is holding the jewel. He could not risk losing the jewel to his wind void. Sucking up the despicable hanyou was not an option…not at this point,
 
“Are you thinking of using your wind tunnel?” Naraku asked in observation. “May I remind you that I hold the jewel and that I am the owner of the curse that infects your right hand.” He paused for a chuckle. “I can control it much more than you seem to think.”
 
Control it? Did that mean that Miroku would be incapable to suck Naraku in? The monk glanced down at the Jewel that still sat openly in Naraku's hand. He noted the dark aura that was swirling around the once pure jewel. The curse was living stronger than ever, thriving by the looks of it. Miroku gulped heavily as he saw he and Sango's chances for victory quickly slipping away. He knew that this Naraku was growing stronger by the minute with the Shikon no Tama in his possession. His immediate thought went, as a surprise even to him, to the safety of the woman standing next to him. He wanted to turn around and shield her from whatever it was this demon was going to do. Tell her to run away, to flee for her own safety, protect her no matter the cost. And while he knew she, as a demon slayer, was probably just a strong as he was, if someone was going to be injured or die he did not want it to be her. Yet for fear of Naraku's reaction to such an outburst, sense kept him from taking action and kept his mouth closed and feet planted, a firm glare set on the demon's unsettling face. For a split second he wondered why he was so protective of her all of a sudden.
 
Sango
 
Suddenly, the agonizing feel of intense fear came over the two mortals as a demonic gas rose from the ground all around Naraku. The monk's initial reaction was to cover his face as the gas rose slowly into the air, a grim look of evil pleasure radiating from Naraku's face. The ground beneath them began to shake. Sango lowered her Hiraikotsu, looking in panic around at the forest floor as it began to crack open.
 
“What's - what's going on!?!” she cried in alarm, looking pleadingly at Miroku.
 
From the cracks that were forming around the two of them alone strange things, looking somewhat like roots, burst forth and surrounded them. Naraku did not move as he watched the demon plants, which he appeared to be controlling.
 
Miroku looked back at her, and she at him. He did not think about his actions, but leaped toward her, reaching out for her hand. “Sango!” was all he could say - too much fear filled his mind as well as hers. She reached out to him, taking his hand and as they touched the roots wrapped around each of them, pulling them apart and holding them up in the air. Sango's boomerang fell heavily to the ground as she struggled to free herself from the strange confinements.
 
“You let us go, Naraku!” Miroku ordered, knowing that his words were in vain.
 
“And what will you do, monk, if I refuse?” His voice was as deep and calm as ever as the gas that surrounded him filled that air more and more. He watched them struggle for a minute, thoroughly enjoying it. He had never been very fond of the two…ever since the day he erased their memories. Hm, the memories, he thought to himself. And how I could torture them by unlocking all those memories now… He looked over them, as if contemplating the move, but decided against it. That will be for another day, he thought. Another cold smiled spread across his face. He dropped his gaze to the ground in front of him. I took those horrible times away from them, and I will be just as willing to give them all back when the time comes.
 
Miroku noticed Naraku drop his eyes, and watched as his eyes suddenly shot back up, looking them monk right in the face. He seemed to be saying that he had no fear…no sadness…no regrets.
 
“Once again,” he began, his voice colder than ever, “I would like to thank you both for coming and looking for me, thinking you would be okay without Inuyasha's protection.” He said the hanyou's name as if it were a horrible disease that the entire world would do better not to speak of. “It was very brave of you. But I'm afraid that I will have to use that to my advantage now. I owe Inuyasha a favor and you, my friends, will aid me in repaying him.”
 
He's lying… Miroku thought as he looked at the demon, watching him raise his arms into the air. The gas that had surrounded him flew toward the two humans in sudden gust of cold wind. As soon as the vapor reached the monk's nose he knew that it was over for him and Sango. As the world around him began to fade, he shifted his eyes to the woman, regretting instantly that he had not told her to run…for now it was too late for either of them to be saved.
 
He strained to keep his eyes open for as long as he could…if only to see her for a little longer…