InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 1

~oOo~

Naraku held up the almost completed jewel he had cradled in his hand, admiring the black brilliance of its tainted darkness.

“It's so beautiful like this,”  he said to himself, taking no note of Byakuya as he did so.  “But I still need the last two pieces.”

His thoughts went to the ones that held them.  Kohaku, who had taken refuge with the daiyoukai Sesshoumaru... and the miko who'd been a thorn in his side for too long, Kagome.  “So little like Kikyou,”  he murmured.  “Her heart is too light, too open.  Kikyou's was guarded and untrusting of those around her.  It made it easier to corrupt the jewel.”

But even though Kagome only held one shard, that one shard was enough to confound all his plans – because it was surrounded by her purity, and that echoed in the chunk he held, leaving it with a light that did not allow it to be fully tainted.

Glancing around the cave he had taken refuge in, he sighed, irritated a bit with his lack of progress in gaining the last two pieces needed.  Perhaps he needed a new plan...

Kohaku would be extremely difficult to take.  Sesshoumaru was a strong guardian – he rarely left the boy to himself, and battling the Western Lord would lead nowhere for him – he was an opponent second to none.

Kagome would only be a slight bit easier of a target... and only because of Inuyasha's preoccupation with Kikyou.  The boy held such guilt for her death, and now half-life, that he was putty in the undead miko's hands, and any time she called for him, he went.

Yes... I will have to use one of his Kikyou interludes to strike – and if I take Kagome, I can kill two birds with one stone... gaining the shard, and taking the little priestess for myself.  If anything will blow out that light of hers, it would be being utterly submerged in darkness.

His eyes went once more to the blackly glowing jewel... and the tiny pinpoint of light at its center that was marring the dark.

What a perfect prison this jewel would make for another priestess...

~oOo~

A/N:  Welcome to my new Inu/Kags tale.  This is a canon divergence serial.  However, unlike most serials, it will not be that long-drawn out.  It will most likely have around thirty parts, with one part released a day.  Right now, I'm halfway done with it, and will probably finish it today or tomorrow.  

At any rate, hope you all enjoy it!

Amber

Converting /tmp/phpjtfKAj to /dev/stdout