InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 2

~oOo~

Kagome shivered in atavistic fear; something was wrong – or would be soon.  She could feel darkness crawling up her spine as though something evil and black was watching her.  Looking around at her companions around the fire, however, she could see that none of them felt the same.

Turning her eyes back to the flames dancing at the center of the camp, she inched closer to the fire – she felt the strong need to be as close to the light and heat as she could, but didn't understand why.  Still, the compulsion was strong, and she followed it without even thinking about it.

Her attention was drawn by someone shifting; Inuyasha was restless, and with an inwardly pained sigh, Kagome was certain she knew exactly why.

Kikyou was near, and she knew it was only a matter of time before the hanyou disappeared into the darkness under the trees.  For some reason, though, even though every time he'd done the same thing before had hurt, this time, she had the feeling that she would never see him again once he was gone.

Lowering her face into her hands for a moment, she rubbed wearily at her eyes, knowing that no one was really paying attention, as they all had their own deep thoughts keeping them only marginally aware of those around them.  The only one immune to this atmosphere was Shippo – who was already asleep.

Thank god for small miracles, she thought, looking at the little kitsune rolled up in a ball atop her sleeping bag.  At least he's not upset and distracted – he's just a child, and shouldn't even be exposed to all of this.

She sighed, then.  But he's as much a part of this as we are, she allowed, knowing she was right.  Shippo had been with them from almost the beginning, and deserved to see it through.  It wouldn't be fair to leave him behind, much as she wanted to.

Wriggling a bit closer to him, she reached up and unzipped her bag, scooping him up and slipping him under the covers.  Unnoticed by anyone else, her hand reached into her  pocket, and taking a tiny bottle out, she quickly placed it in the little boy's obi.

After watching him for a moment, she scooted back towards the fire, and with no one the wiser to her actions, continued to wait for Inuyasha to disappear.

It was only a matter of time.

~oOo~

A/N:  I will be posting one chapter a day on this, but for today I'm posting two, since the other sites have the first one posted as of yesterday, and I'm just getting around to posting this here.

Amber

Converting /tmp/phpQfqWs7 to /dev/stdout