InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 3

~oOo~

Gripping Tessaiga tighter as he shifted yet again, Inuyasha stared at the canopy of leaves just above his head and let his mind wander.  

Kikyou was nearby, and he wondered if she had any news of Naraku.  She usually did, so he could hope.  But he knew, in the end, that's not why he would go once she called for him.

No, even if Naraku was already dead, he would go when she called – it was a compulsion.

He grimaced; glancing down at the raven head sitting opposite him on the ground, his heart thumped painfully, full of guilt.  

She wasn't looking at him, instead, she was sitting very near the fire, as though she were cold.  He frowned at that – it wasn't a particularly cold night – what was she doing?  About to say something, he caught the glint of her eyes as she looked up and turned to glance at Shippo.  His frown deepened; she seemed afraid.

He didn't like that – she shouldn't ever be afraid of anything with him around – he would never let anything hurt her again.  He'd vowed that after that incident with Akago – and then his head fell and his guilt swelled... he'd also vowed not to leave her side again, and he had, repeatedly.  Just like he was going to do within a very short time.  It seemed he couldn't keep his promise to her very well...

His conscience piped up then.  But you manage to keep those promises to Kikyou just fine.  

He snarled at himself, knowing those words were true.  Keh... I'm doing my best!

Your best for Kikyou.  It's very telling, that – Kikyou's the one you've deemed important.  Kagome only gets what's left after Kikyou's gotten what she wants.  One of these days... you're gonna lose her because of it – you won't be in time to save her.

Then what?

The poking from his conscience was opening up still bleeding wounds inside him, and he forcibly throttled that voice.  I've always managed to protect Kagome anyway, despite Kikyou – and I'll keep doing it!

Refusing to look in Kagome's direction again, he looked up and caught sight of the glowing forms of Kikyou's shinidamachu, and with a resolute expression on his face, he dropped out of the tree, and without so much as a by-your-leave, disappeared into the forest.

He had no idea that the last glimpse he would have of Kagome was the one of her shiny, sad, scared eyes as she turned to look at Shippo.

He would find that memories were not enough...

Not by far.

Converting /tmp/phpf9LG3D to /dev/stdout