InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hymn for the Missing ❯ Hymn 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hymn 11

~oOo~

Hold on, Kagome, hold on, Inuyasha's mind kept chanting over and over as he ran.  I'm coming.  Don't give up on me!

Catching a stronger hint of miasma, he skidded to a halt, Kirara coming in to land near again as soon as he stopped.  

“What is it, Inuyasha?”  Sango asked.  

“Naraku,”  he growled.  “He's close.”   Looking at his friend with an evaluating expression in his eyes, he said,  “Miroku, give me the shard.  I don't want him going after you for it.  It's safer with me.”

Miroku looked back at him, just as weighingly.  “What about it corrupting you?”  he asked.

“The only time its done that was when I tried to use it.  I don't need it – I just don't want Naraku chasing you guys down for it,”  he replied steadily.

After a moment, the monk nodded, and taking the bottle from his robes, he handed it to the hanyou, who promptly tucked it away in his fire rat.  Drawing Tessaiga, he motioned for them to get back, just as Naraku floated into view, followed by Byakuya – but no Kagome.

“Naraku, you bastard!”  he snarled, transforming his sword in an incandescent blast of light that was brighter than it had ever been before.  He pointed it at the two that were now hovering just out of direct reach in an openly threatening manner.  “Where's Kagome?”

Naraku, a bit wary at the suddenly much stronger youki coming from the hanyou, nonetheless smirked.  “I am sorry, Inuyasha.  I needed to destroy her light, and her.  Are you missing her?”  he asked unctuously.  

“What the hell are you talking about?”  he ground out, so enraged his voice was barely understandable around the deadly growl rumbling from his chest.

The spider hanyou held up the blackened jewel.  “Do you see the tiny pinpoint of light inside it?   That's Kagome's light.  I need that light to disappear.  So I have sent her into the one place she can never escape from – the one place that can destroy her light.  The Shikon no Tama.  Like Midoriko before her, Kagome is now trapped within it, and once her fear of being left there in the dark takes her over, that light will die, and the jewel will be tainted beyond redemption,”  he gloated.

Stricken, shocked and unable to figure out what to do, Inuyasha stared at his nemesis in anguish.  Even the horrified exclamations from behind him couldn't break him from his horror.

“What have you done?!”  


Converting /tmp/phpeKzjma to /dev/stdout