InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hyoutan ❯ Choices ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard Disclaimers:I do not own Inu-Yasha: A Feudal Fairytale or any of its characters- not to mention the fairytale King Thrushbeard on which this story idea was based. However, this story is my intellectual property. Also, this is my first IY fanfiction. ^_~ I realized something dreadful after I first posted this. I was re-reading Our Love Affair by Ceyana and I realized that parts of this prologue were similar to her story. It was unintentional. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized there was no other way to write it. *shrugs* If you're out there Ceyana, I hope that you're not offended or feel- dare I say it- plagiarized. *shudders* Anyone who steals words that aren't their own is the lowest of the low.

Note on Pairings:I haven't decided on any yet. Could be an Inu/Kag or even a *gasp* Sess/Kag. (Love both pairings, but I doubt I'm that talented:) I'm not sure yet. They will tell me where they want to end up. ;)

Warnings:Alternate universe, drama, romance, fantasy, supernatural, swearing, OOCness, and my stupid attempts at humor. So beware! This story is rated PG-13 because of language.


Doumo arigatou gozaimasu to Ericedwyn for writing a wonderful story, being a wonderful author, kind webmistress, an inspiration, teaching me little tidbits about ancient Japanese culture/language, and for being my leading supporter of my starting this story. ^.^






Hyoutan
- Ice and Charcoal: Contradiction


By Duo no Tsuin




Prologue
- Choices






"You wanted to see me, Okaasan?" She didn't know why she had been summoned to her mother's chamber or why she was now kneeling on the floor in front of her matriarch. All she knew was . . . she didn't like it one bit. Why do I get the feeling that something . . . odd is going to happen? Odd was the polite way of saying bad. That sinking sensation in her stomach had woke her and increased in turmoil when she learned that her mother wanted to speak with her.

Her mother had been dreading this day. My dear Kagome. You've grown up so fast. Why couldn't you stay my little aijo forever? Her mother looked her straight in the eyes. "Subtlety never works," her husband had told her. "Just be honest with her- if you don't say it with finality she'll never agree." "It's time for you to marry, Kagome."

"What?" Did she say . . . m-marry? Granted, it wasn't uncommon for girls her age to get married . . . but in her life, the subject had never been discussed. Until now. It's too soon . . . "But Kaa-"

"No buts." "Say it with finality." "You are the perfect age for an engagement."

Kagome stared at her mom- finality wasn't in Kagome's vocabulary.

"Don't look at me like that." Dear Kagome, I know why you fight this . . . but you'll see. Life won't end for you. This is only the beginning.

Don't look at you like what? This isn't fair! It's not like she had to- of course, why didn't I see it before? Kagome glared at her mother. "Kikyo didn't have to marry."

"Your cousin chose a different life path." Though it didn't seem that way in the beginning . . .

The family of the Northern Lands had a secret that few were privileged to know. Kagome and Kikyo were born on the same day miles apart. It was a great shock to Kagome's mother to find out that her twin sister had given birth on not only the same day, but also the same time- though Kikyo a moment sooner than Kagome.

By some, it was considered an omen of varying severity, saw it as a miraculous event, and praised it as a sign of prosperity and good fortune- two souls born from one. For in truth, the two girls were joyous when together in their youth. Then there were a few unvoiced individuals who believed the births a bad omen- under the belief that two at one time is twice as many mouths to feed.

It was eerie, for Kagome and Kikyo's mothers were twins as well as their grandmother and great aunt. It continued back like that for unknown generations- and always the pairs would share an unspeakable bond. Even in the wake of her aunt and uncle's deaths, Kagome lit up and asked if her cousin could stay with them. She got her wish . . . and found herself regretting it.

Did we do the right thing? Kagome's mother continued, "She devoted herself to protecting others." And the jewel.

"And what's so wrong with that? You and Otousan said you were proud of her decision." You should be proud . . . you just handed it to her as if she were more important . . .

"Your Otousan and I took in your cousin Kikyo to raise as our own. Kikyo fulfilled the role of the eldest daughter in our family- she became a priestess as her mother had before her. Think of it this way . . . if she had not filled that position, then you would have been weaned for it."

Yeah, eldest by two seconds! "But I was." Her eye twitched. "She took it from me." I should be the one running off to save the world! Ever since she was a child, she longed to leave her home and explore the world. It's the only thing I've had to look forward to. But now . . .

"Think of it how you wish, but know this . . . if you keep putting this off, then your Otousan will most likely arrange one." And you will be betrothed before you can blink.

"A-arrange?" Kagome was horrified. "You mean, an arranged marriage? With someone that I haven't even met?"

"Now dear, your Otousan and I had an arranged marriage and we're happy."

"B-but you guys were lucky. You met first, in the least. Who's to say that I won't end up marrying some creep who treats me badly and-"

"Your Otousan said if you keep putting it off."

"So . . . there's still a chance."

Her mother paused. Though it's not much of one. "We will host a large party with princes and young lords from all the lands."

"All the lands?"

"Yes, Kagome. It would only be polite."

But some of the other lands are ruled by demons! She didn't have anything against demons- she grew up around them her whole life. But the idea of marrying a giant bird, snake, dragon, or worse yet a spider- she shuddered at the thought- made her wish she was a prince instead. Princes and lords had a tiny bit of choice in the matter of marriage, so she had heard- that didn't make her right. The only choices I have are to choose someone to marry or have him chosen for me. They wouldn't force this on precious Kikyo. If only she hadn't come around, then I would have received my birthright-

"Have you come to a decision?"

The girl sighed heavily and her shoulders slumped slightly. "If those are my options, then tell Otousan that, yes, I will attend this . . . party." I'll do it, but . . . I've got to find a way to get out of this marriage. If Kikyo could do it . . . so can I.




Owari.





Erm, yeah. I know, there's not much to go on so far, but I'm just getting started on this idea and organizing my thoughts. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure where this story is going. (a complete AU or a retelling of the series? *blech*) -_- Heck, I've even been considering mixing more- yeah, you heard me- fairytales into this one. I mean, I'm fusing it with one tale, why not a few others? Or would that make it too much of a spoof? Never mind. I'll just start with KingTb.

Originally, I was going to title this story Inu-Jitei no Ouja and the Aisu no Hime (King DogEars and the Ice Princess), but that title made the plot and future pairing too definite- not to mention long as Hell. Hyoutan meaning "ice and charcoal" or "contradiction" seemed, well . . . almost perfect for many inferred reasons. I'll accept suggestions, though. ;)

Send all comments, questions, and suggestions to:
duo_no_tsuin@yahoo.com


Mini-Glossary
(If I've made any mistakes, feel free to tell me so:)




aijou- one's beloved daughter (it just sounded like a cute nickname to me- cuter than my childhood nicknames -_- )

Kaasan- mother

Okaasan- mother (honorable)

Otousan- father (honorable)

Owari- end (of chapter)