InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hyoutan ❯ Gift of the Phoenix ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard Disclaimers:

I do not own Inu-Yasha: A Feudal Fairytale or any of its characters- not to mention the fairytale King Thrushbeard on which this story idea was based.

However, this story is my intellectual property. Also, this is my first IY fanfiction. ^_~

It's been a long time coming- with nearly two pages of glossary tacked on at the end- but here is the first chapter at long last! Enjoy! ^_^

Note on Language:

To compensate for my lack of English/Japanese bilinguality, I have "created" some words/titles for this fic. (In an AU, it is plausible for spoken words to differ from the true/historical words in my opinion.) For example, instead of writing 'human lord' I use "Hyuumankou" and for a demon lord "Youkaikou."

I also found out that there is a term for "western lands"- seido. Problem is, it refers to China, India, etc. *shrugs* I thought Inu/Sess's family might be more likely to rule "Shin'etsu" or the "region on seaside of Japan west of Tokyo" (Nagano, Niigato) and Kagome's northern brood's "Hokuriku" or "region north of Tokyo on Japanseaside," but I can't decide which is more accurate. *shrugs* I probably won't even bother mentioning this in my story- the more I think of it.

Whether this and the others phrases are correct I've little surety. But if you have a major beef with my use of words that I shouldn't or don't exist . . . don't hesitate to tell me so.

Note on Revisions:

I am not starting off this story very well. -_- So far, I've had to upload each chapter twice. (not including previous failed uploads) All because of some errors- bonehead errors that I should've known were wrong. In the first posting of this chapter, I described the "box" as being enameled. *blinks* I meant lacquered. *slaps forehead* And then for some reason I was going to have some puppetry performance for the later chapters. But historically, Noh mask performances are older and more likely to be seen then. *heh* From now on, I need a historical disclaimer saying that I have no clue what I'm talking about.

Note on Pairings:

I haven't decided on any yet. Could be an Inu/Kag or even a *gasp* Sess/Kag. (Love both pairings, but I doubt I'm that talented:) So far, the vote is 4-1, a Sess/Kag. *shrugs* Personally, I think Inu/Kag are meant to be (I'm planning a few I/K bittersweet romances), but I still can't help but love the alluring Sess/Kag pairing- maybe I'm just indecisive? I think Tina Lang read my mind. ^.~

Warnings:

Alternate universe, drama, romance, fantasy, supernatural, swearing, OOCness, my stupid attempts at humor, character bashing(It's Inu and Kag, for crying out loud!), some inaccurate historical representations, and unintentional mutilation of the Japanese language(mini-glossary of new terms follows each chapter). So beware! This story is rated PG-13 because of language and what's to come. (Which may evolve to R;)

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

Special thanks to: Tina Lang for the great ideas! ^^

And thanks to all the other first reviewers: trihn, Laura-chan, Rei, sesshoumaru lover1, KawaiiAngel, obsessivefangirl, camille, and Airen! ^_^

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

And always, doumo arigatou gozaimasu to Ericedwyn for being a constant supporter of this story and my inspiration. ^.^

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

Hyoutan

- Ice and Charcoal: Contradiction

By Duo no Tsuin

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

Chapter One

- Gift of the Phoenix

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

One month had passed. The party was arranged in the month following Kagome's halfhearted agreement. Many lords, nobles, and princes were invited to meet the family of the Northernlands. The event was simple enough. A large introduction of all guests followed by a banquet and a Noh mask performance. Though the day held an air of quiet elegance, few realized the decision that weighed on the young woman's mind or the urgency hidden behind the grandness of the occasion. And like her, there was another whose thoughts were beyond a mere party.

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

In the grand house of the Westernlands, an arm dangled in the cool morning wind blowing westward from the north. Kitayori . . . the wind's changing. Some grand plot was unfolding in the universe. But this young man believed that it had to do with the only woman he had ever grown to care for other than his human mother. Today, another occupied his thoughts. A human woman. A miko.

His fingers caressed the breeze as if it were cool strands of her hair. Where is she now? Why did she leave? He suspected why she left. She never meant to stay long in the first place. She had a mission. I could tell from her demeanor. Nothing would stop her. But why? He didn't even know what it was that took her away from him. All he knew was, he missed her calming presence.

Inuyasha lay on a tree limb near a pond in his family garden within the walls of their home. It was his mother's favorite place. Now, all he could do was lie about with his eyes closed and wait for the priestess's possible return- focusing on the memory of her. Raven hair, dark eyes, creamy skin. She was so kind and beautiful . . . I wish I could see her again. Inu sighed. But she disappeared-

"Get dressed." It was his older tanechigai, just as bossy as always.

He cracked open one golden eye. Well, hello to you to, Oniichan. "I am." It's not like I run around naked, you know?

Sesshoumaru's patience was only so lax when dealing with his younger half-brother. "Then at least take a bath, wash the human stench off you, and get something clean to wear."

Asshole. How dare you . . . "Iie. I'm not getting down."

He's unusually quiet and holding back. I'll fix that. "Get down."

Inu crossed his arms over his chest. "Iie." Why don't you make me.

"Pout all you want. You're still going."

Now glaring at his half-brother, he answered, "Iie, I'm not."

"Hai. You are." Why must you make things so difficult? Humor me.

Inuyasha looked upward to the blue sky. Come back . . . "Bite me."

Wrong kind of humor. I can play too. "I might just do that."

"Feh. And stench your breath of my blood?" He squinted his eyes and looked down over his shoulder at the full-blood demon below. "Hitotsudomo." Never.

That's better. Sesshoumaru kicked the tree with enough force to shake Inuyasha loose of his precious perch. In reality, he had no patience for the younger half-demon.

Inu looked up, masked in dirt, from where his face met the ground. "Dick." He stood and brushed off his dirt covered haori. "Ima, I have to take a bath."

Sess led Inu inside knowing what was coming next.

The young demon sighed. "Where are we going again?"

Predictable. The choukei sighed silently. Shoutei, you should try and pay attention when Otousan and I speak to you. "To the Northern Lands."

"Oh yeah, hime hunting." Traveling so close to the night of the full moon . . . do I dare risk it? "Think you'll find your bride this time?" We've seen so many . . .

Doubtful. No matter how many females they met, Sesshoumaru had the same empty reaction every time. None could hold my attention, let alone attract it. He was the heir to the Western Lands and allowed to be selective; he needed a woman worthy to be revered nearly as a queen. "Perhaps you should open your eyes as well." It wouldn't hurt to have multiple kin to secure the family's holdings.

Inuyasha stopped. "Whoa, hold on. I never said I was looking for a mate!"

Halting, he looked over his armored shoulder. "Why not? You claim to be mature. Are you . . . mature enough for a mate, Shoutei?" Why have you kept that miko's continuing presence a secret from us?

Why must you always call me that? "Are you, Onnichan?" Excessive use of pet names turned his stomach. "You're the eldest, you know." The pair continued walking and soon they arrived at Inu's room.

"Be ready. Otousan and I will be waiting." Sesshoumaru exited to finish the preparations for travel. His father and he could fly, but that was one skill the youngest did not possess.

"Hai, Sesshoumaru-sama," Inu scoffed as he shed his red garb. I grow weary of all of these attempts to find Sesshoumaru a wife. Why should I even be there? He knew the answer. One day, he too would need a mate; his father and brother just wanted him to keep up appearances. One day, he sank beneath the warm water, Maybe one day.

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

As Kagome sat before an audience in a grand silk, long sleeved kimono with her hair done up next to her father and mother as all of the eligible princes and lords were introduced, she knew she had sealed her fate. What have I done? There are so many. I can't marry these . . . strangers- let alone choose one from the masses! I'm doomed.

Kagome had to sit through more introductions before the official celebration would begin. As she had predicted, there were many types of youkai mixed in with the mostly human crowd.

Myouga- despite his miniscule size, the flea demon was knowledgeable, the fastest messenger around, and trusted by many of the great houses- was lounging on Kagome's shoulder whispering into her ear about each male after the formal introductions were made by the servants and fathers. "Wakagimi Hojo . . . "

Most of which, she ignored. It's all the same. "Lord this from these lands" or wherever . . . this is so boring . . .

"Greetings, honored Hokumen no Daimyo and Hokumen no Rediizu," Wakagimi Hojo bowed with a bright smile- not that she cared.

Too boring. Formal, but . . . Kagome sighed as she bowed in return. If I hear one more "of the North" I'm going to be sick! What a geek . . .

"It would honor me if the young Hokumen no Himesama would let me bestow a gift upon her that I have brought from my land."

However, she did care that he mentioned her and would not meet her eyes. Not to mention evasive . . .

It was not necessarily untraditional- gifts were allowed, but not expected- so why not except it? Her father nodded.

Hojo motioned for an ornate lacquered box to be brought forward and placed before her.

She touched the exquisite workmanship of the box- a red, orange, yellow, and gold bird flying on wings of flame. The phoenix . . . a legendary creature with healing abilities. I can't help but wonder . . . "M-may I open it?" She looked to her father.

"Of course."

Inside were a bunch of dried flowers of the same bright colors and leaves. To a normal person, that's all they were. "These are . . . "She could tell. But her reaction was to cryptic for the young lord.

"Rare healing herbs from my lands to heal what ails you."

The phoenix. How appropriate . . . yet ostentatious. Does he dare compare himself to the elusive fable? She offered an honest smile for the first time all day. "Doumo arigatou," she said as she bowed. A kind gesture, but . . . for which ailment? I know they're rare because I've never seen them before. I'll have to ask Kaede.

Sensing her uncertainty, her father the Hyuumankou, said, "Kaede-sama, might you identify the herbs for those of us who do not know them fluently?"

"Hai," Kaede had merely glanced into the box when she gasped, "Houou no Hanamuke!"

"What is it?"

"I-I'm sorry for my reaction, but I had believed these to be extinct." Singularly, they are scarce and cure the oddest maladies. But together, they make a rare potion commonly known only as the Gift of the Phoenix. Or by it's true name of "Houou no Hanamuke." Whomever gathered these for her is wise beyond this time . . .

"They were, nearly, but thanks to my chief herbalist, Jinengi, we may use them once again."

"Where is he?" Kagome's father spoke the old healer's next thoughts, "Might we be introduced to the talented fellow?"

"Alas, he regretted that he could not be here to see the Himesama's reaction, for he is preparing the herbs for the coming frost."

Kagome sighed inwardly. So he didn't deserve to associate himself with the phoenix. Jinengi . . . why can't I meet a guy like that? At least he sounds almost normal . . .

"Understandable," the Kitakou spoke. "We commend him on his dedication and invite him to our house so that we might associate the name with a face."

A glimmer passed over Hojo's eyes and was replaced with a smile.

That's strange, Kagome thought. Then again, I assumed he was the healer when it was another. Did he not want Jinengi here so he might take credit for Jinengi's accomplishments? No, of course not. He was the one that mentioned the expert's name . . .

Hojo bowed once more. "I will tell him myself."

Kagome held back a giggle. Beware Hojo . . . Lord of the Herbs!

After the herb lord was dismissed, the Hyuumankou nodded for the next lord to enter.

"Youkun Kouga, leader of the Kaze no Ookami Youkai pack-" Myouga whispered to Kagome.

That tidbit she kind of noticed. A wolf? What am I? An alpha female- breeder extraordinaire?

"Konnichiwa, fair Hokumen no Hime. And to you as well, the younger reflection," he grinned.

She nearly gagged. What a dork . . . if he thinks that sucking up to my okaasan by calling her a young lady is going to get me to like him, then he's dreaming! Wolf youkai. And I thought a bird would be awkward enough . . .

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

"Konosai, Hokumen no Daimyo and Rediizu, may I present the Seibu no Daimyo," the reptilian-like servant demon called Jaken began as he bowed.

The Youkaikou from the North- with long white hair, pointed ears, and dark gold eyes- in question bowed before the family.

"And ima his two sons," Jaken awaited their entrance.

Elsewhere, "Iie, shimatta! I don't want to meet another brain dead hime who laughs at my-" The youth was suddenly silenced.

"Silence, Shoutei."

Two white haired young men entered the room and approached the family. Though both were shorter in stature than their father, the shorter of the two rubbed a nasty lump on his head. What? I-it can't be? But I thought she . . . could it be her? She looks so . . .

"Konosai," Jaken continued, "I present Sesshoumaru and his kentei, Wakagimi Inuyasha," they bowed.

"Ah, hai," Myouga drawled, "Wakagimi Sesshoumaru and his tanegawari, Wakagimi Inuyasha. He's a hanyou, you know . . . "

Of course, Kagome wasn't paying attention to the servant Jaken or Myouga's babbling recap. She was still trying to stop laughing from the younger brother's outburst and the older brother's use of "my foolish brother" when they entered and she saw something even more noticeable than the huge bump on top of his head. One has . . . elf ears. And what's that fuzzy thing? Is that his tail? But the other one has no tail an- dog ears!? Again thinking that she knew a lot about demons, she believed that a lot of demons had a humanoid form with a tail and pointed ears. But dog ears!? She could hardly contain it. Not even the wolf guy had that feature . . .

The youth noticed the young woman's odd behavior- the odd look on her face, how her heart rate sped up, and how she was shaking subtly- and clenched his fists. What the Hell, is she . . . laughing? At me!? It can't be her! She's never treated me like this! But I thought . . . how could you? I thought you . . . you bitch- Inuyasha didn't realize that he was growling. "Tell the miko to stop her laughter!"

She stopped and glared at him. Huh? What did he call me? But no one knows that I- The general population did not know the tradition of the choujo, eldest daughter, in the northern house- train to be a miko. The second, the jijo, would marry. And the third, if there was one, would be the ietsukinomusume- the heir and caretaker of the home. But Kagome felt that she had been robbed of everything. I'm not a miko anymore. She was demoted from a choujo to a neglected jijo- Being the ietsukinomusume would have been better- in her eyes than her current fate. Instead of blaming her parents for their decision, she mostly blamed one other. Because of her . . . Her cousin Kikyo- an adopted daughter. It should be her . . . instead of me . . . "And why should I?"

The Hokumen no Daimyo's patience was wearing thin. An outburst of one young lord he could tolerate. But one from his blood, his own daughter . . . "Musumesan, hold your tongue," he muttered under his breath.

She knew that tone. How embarrassing . . . When her dad called her that, he was borderline angry. No, "little musume," like he called her when she was younger. This is all your fault, Inu-Jitei no Ouja! She whispered back, "But he's-"

"A guest in our home," he said quietly in reply while watching the eyes of the proud youkaikou peripherally for any sign of disapproval.

Kagome's father looked the youkai lord in the eyes. "Speaking as one otousama to another, you must excuse the Hokumen no Hime for her . . . naive actions. Though she has been taught otherwise, she is not yet fluent in the ways of the world." What he was saying to the demon lord was blunt- not to mention inappropriate. Many in the room held their breaths, expecting the two daimyos to begin a war right then over a childish squabble.

The elder youkai who had been silent, nodded with a minuscule smirk, "And as the otousama of my own brood, I find my sons are still learning the way," the smile left his face and his dark gold eyes glared at his youngest- sending a silent message.

Sesshoumaru noticed and bowed; Inuyasha copied his older brother's action. "It is an honor to have met you all, regal Hokumen no Daimyo and Rediizu."

"Yeah, it's a blast- I mean," he caught the similar glare from his brother, "It was nice to meet you, Hokumen no Daimyo and," I should only say 'lady,' ". . . Rediizu." Blech! I can't stand this proper talk much longer. She doesn't deserve to hear it . . .

Kagome received her own silent "cue" through the eyes of her father. How dare they, she pressed her fists into her lap. She bowed as her clothing would allow. "It was an honor to have to met you, Seibu no Shokou." Honor, my ass!

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

Owari.

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*><*~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *>

Yeah, I know that was a bad way to end this chapter. (Kagome ... swearing!? I realize that I write her like a modern girl, but there might be a reason for it- maybe) Personally, I liked the addition of the twist in Inuyasha's view of the situation- he might discover his mistake soon, might not. (If you reread it carefully, no one ever says Kagome's name infront of him- I think. O.o) Some of you may have enjoyed the Kikyo bashing. ^.^ Personally, I don't like the idea of Inu falling for Kag based on his past feelings for Kikyo. (which could back the other pairing;) But who knows . . . *shrugs* it depends what inspires me during the process of writing this. (Today, I kind of dislike Inuyasha) *smirks* I'm evil, aren't I?

Originally, this chapter was way longer and then I just sat down in front of my computer and kept writing more and more. So, I cut it at less than half. (I realize that it doesn't look like much on here, but on my comp it was more than twice as long. O.O Not much, really, but it's less to take in all at once.) I'm not exactly sure where this story is going. (a complete AU or a retelling of the series?) -_- Heck, I've even been considering mixing more- yeah, you heard me- fairytales into this one. Actually . . . I should probably stick with KingTb alone. *shrugs*

Did I miss out on any lords/demons/princes/etc that you feel should have been introduced/make an appearance? I might write them in later as they enter the plot more fully with a "Kagome forgot" type excuse. :P On the other hand, where I ended it leaves room for more encounters (though none as memorable:). Any ideas? Actually, there's one more "introduction" scene that has yet to be written and will begin the next chapter . . . I hope.

Don't forget to sign up for my fic_update list at:

http://duo-tsuin.notifylist.com/fic_updates.html

Leave a review or send all comments, questions, and suggestions to:

duo_no_tsuin@yahoo.com

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

Mini-Glossary

(lots of new terms to begin with, so not this version;)

<*~~~~~~~~~~~~~*>

Arigatou- thanks

choujo- eldest daughter

choukei- eldest brother

Daimyo- Japanese feudal lord (Feudal Era... feudal lord, right?)

Doumo arigatou- thank you

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu- thank you very much

Hanamuke- farewell gift

Hime- princess; young lady of noble birth

Himesama- daughter of a nobleman (*shrugs* I like hearing Kagome called this more)

Hitotsudomo- not even once, never (usually, with a negative predicate only, but I thought it was fitting)

Hokumen no (whatever: lord, lady, etc)- (whomever) of the north

Houou- mythical phoenix bird

Hyuumankou- human lord (not a lord over ALL humans, just a nobleman. Yes, I know it's not the real word, but in a world/time when demons or humans can be lords . . . *shrugs* Just think of it as what demons call respected human lords, I guess)

ietsukinomusume- daughter of the home; unmarried woman who owns (the future rights to) a home

Iie- no

Ima- now

Inu-Jitei no Ouja- (loosely) King DogEars (Kag's nickname for Inuyasha;)

Jijo- second daughter

Kaze no Ookami- wind wolf; Wolf of Wind (I couldn't find a plural of 'wolf' in Japanese. If anyone knows one, then I'd be much obliged to hear from you:)

kentei- wise younger brother; polite reference to another's younger brother, or to one's junior

Kitakou- (literally) North Lord

Kitayori- northerly (wind); from the north (originally, I was going to use a similar word "nishiyori" to describe Inu and Sess's family but settled on "Seibu" instead)

Konosai- on this occasion; now (sounds like how Jaken would introduce Sesshoumaru, doesn't it?)

musume- daughter (humble language)

Musumesan- daughter (honorable language)

Nishikou- (lit.) West Lord

Oniichan- cute form of "older brother" (Inu's name for Sess when he's teasing *giggles*)

Rediizu- ladies

Seibu- the west; western part; the West (where Inu and Sess are from)

shimatta- dammit

Shokou- princes;lords

Shoutei- my foolish brother (Sess's name for Inu when he's being a dork :P)

tanechigai- half-brother; half-sister

tanegawari- half-brother or sister; different strain; hybrid (that last part fits Inuyasha very well)

Wagakimi- my lord

Wakagimi- young lord or prince

Youkaikou- demon lord

Youkun- young lord or master (more befitting of Kouga, I think, since he's a leader without being a noble)