InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Am Who I Am ❯ The Smoke ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter two: The Smoke

AN: Ok the second chapter of I Am Who I Am! Ok. This chapter skips a few years. In this chapter and from here on out, six years have past. The Jewel is almost completed, Shippo now is as tall as Inu-Yahsa's waist, and no, Miroku and Sango and Kagome and Inu-Yasha are not a couple...yet...Tell me what you think about that . Well I'll stop yabbin' and get on with the story. Enjoy! And R&R!

*************************

A sound of thunder roared through the land, followed by a five second earthquake. Birds that were disturbed by the noise and movement, scattered out of their nests and trees and flew far away. Small land animals lifted their heads and then left their posts as well.

Shippo walked over and sat on Inu-Yasha's back. He grinned, proud of himself that he was adding extra weight to the "Sit" spell. Just underneath the four inch deep hole, mumbles were being said by the dirt eating half-breed. Shippo sneered and put his clawed hands to his elf shaped ears and leaned forward.

"What was the Inu-Yasha? Speak up, I can't make anything out!" Shippo said as he leaned on Inu-Yasha's upper back and neck. Inu-Yasha grunted then went silent. Shippo sat there on him for a few seconds, wondering what Inu-Yasha was up to. Getting a little impatient Shippo slapped the back of Inu-Yasha's head. "Hey! You awake?!"

The moment his hand hit the back of Inu-Yasha's head, Inu-Yasha sprung up. His hand reached back and a startled Fox demon jumped back, but it was too late. Inu-Yasha held onto the fox's long brown hair and yanked him back. Inu-Yahsa sat in his crouching position, a dirty face and front side, holding Shippo by the back of his head and just glaring into the kitsune's eyes.

"If you got something to say , say it to my face! I dare ya'!" Inu-Yasha's golden eyes stared firmly into the child's. Shippo smirked.

"Well Inu-Yasha, you never cease to amaze everyone on your wonderful lady skills. Kagome and Sango have already left you behind. They'd rather be in one of those hot springs then even near you!" Shippo sneered in his face with a snooty smile. Inu-Yasha did not waste a second and slammed the kitsune's head into the ground.

"What was that kid?" Inu-Yasha growled as he shoved Shippo's head further into the ground. Inu-Yasha smirked from all the mumbles he got from the ground in response. "Hey didn't Kagome ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full? And to swallow?" Inu-Yasha lifted Shippo up by his hair again, glaring him in the eyes, his other hand scooping up some dirt and shoving it in his mouth. Inu-Yasha put the hand under Shippo's chin and moved his jaw in the chewing motion. He chuckled at the kid's disgusted face.

"That's enough Inu-Yasha. Let this bickering come to an end." Came a voice from behind them. Inu-Yasha turned his head to see their loveable leacher monk. He smirked again, showing a white fang and let go of the kid. Shippo immediately opened his mouth and couched out all the worm food that was in his mouth.

"Oh hey. Miroku." Inu-Yasha said, standing up and brushing the dirt from his cloths and face. "Where are the girls?" He said as he looked around noticing neither were around and so wasn't Kirara. Miroku sighed and shook his head, his ringed staff jingling from his movements.

"I will only say, that once again you have tormented Shippo for being only correct. Kagome was very upset at your remark about her cooking...again. She told us to stay away as she and Sango, along with Kirara, went to go find a nice place.... away from you." Miroku finished. Inu-Yasha crossed his arms over his chest and put his hands into his sleeves.

"Feh. Whatever. Good to have those females out of our hair anyway!" Inu-Yasha snorted. He lifted his nose high and proudly in the air and walked off to the nearest and largest tree. Shippo sat on the ground and crossed his legs, giving little evil stares at Inu-Yasha and watched him as he walked to the tree and jumped up in it, resting on the thickest branch. Miroku sighed again and walked over to the tree as well and leaned up against it. Her crosses his arms and placed his hands in his sleeves.

"You know Inu-Yasha, if you do not change and at least show some decent respect to such a beautiful woman, such as Kagome....She might walk out on you. I'm very surprised that she's put up with you all these years." Miroku stated very mellowly. All he got in response was another snort from Inu-Yasha.

"It's not like she has a choice or not. It's her fault we're looking for the shards in the first place. If it wasn't for her I'd be a full demon by now...and devouring that annoying badger!" Inu-Yasha shouted, pointing to Shippo. Shippo glared and waved a fist.

"It's FOX!!! You Baka!! F-O-X..FOX!!! At least Kagome is actually worried about your all's safety with Naraku around. Honestly Inu-Yasha." Shippo began and sneered over at the dog, "I don't see what she see's in you!" Inu-Yasha shook off Shippo's words and rested his hands under his head and leaned back on the trunk of the tree, looking in the direction of the girls's scents. He remained quiet for some time.

Shippo lifted his head and turned it in the direction north of them. He stood up, keeping his eyes towards the direction, smelling the air. He tilted his head for a moment, then looked at Inu-Yasha and Miroku.

"Inu-Yasha....do you smell that?" Shippo asked, his childish voice sounding very mature. Inu-Yasha opened an eye and looked over at the kid. He lifted his nose in the air and sniffed it. Both of his eyes opened wide and he sat up in a crouching position, his hands resting on the hard branch in front of his feet. Shippo watched him, "Is it what I think it is, Inu-Yasha?" Inu-Yasha grunted.

"Well if you smell smoke, then there's gotta be a fire." Inu-Yasha clearly stated. "Well, if there is one, it's none of our concern! Feh. Probably a bunch of kids playing with the camp fire. We shouldn't bother." Inu-Yasha said flatly and got comfortable again on the tree branch. Shippo turned his body, facing the others and stomped his foot. Inu-Yasha opened an eye and stared coldly at him, "What?" Shippo gave Inu-Yasha the `tough-guy' eye, one of his hands in a fist and shaking with rage. Miroku looked over at the kitsune as well.

"Shippo, what troubles you so?" Miroku asked. Shippo's stare only looked at Inu-Yasha as he responded.

"What bothers me is that Baka over there!" Shippo shouted pointing his finger at Inu-Yasha. "He says not to worry about it, when a smoke means a fire, and the smoke is just happening to come from the same direction that Kagome and the others went. And he doesn't even care!" Shippo finished, his face red. Inu-Yasha sat up and looked toward the direction of the smell, once again Shippo was right. Inu-Yasha jumped down from the tree and ran off, but as he passed Shippo, he bonked him on the head.

"That's for being a smart aleck!" Inu-Yasha yelled as he disappeared. Shippo sat up off the ground and rubbed his new bump on his head. Miroku walked to Shippo's side.

"Well Shippo, you seem to be on a roll today with Inu-Yasha." Miroku smiled at him. "We should fallow to see if it's truly a threat. Shippo stood up and dashed off.

"Way ahead of ya! I'll beat yeah to it!" Shippo said and Mirko began to run after him.

********

On a green grassy patch, a blanket was spread across, a small Bento placed in the center. Kagome and Sango both sat across from each other, sharing the Bento together. Sango took her hashi and picked up a piece of chopped kyuri and handed it to Kirara. Kirara took it into her mouth and purred as she chewed it. When she was finished she looked at Kagome and `Mewed'. Kagome smiled at the tiny cat demon.

"Thanks Kirara. At least somebody likes it." Kagome sighed and Sango looked at her.

"Now Kagome, don't let what Inu-Yasha said bum you out. You are a very good cook, and Inu-Yasha knows it. Inu-Yasha is Inu-Yasha, he has a hard time complementing people or even showing how he truly feels. " Sango smiled at Kagome and Kagome nodded.

"I know...it's just sometimes I wish he would stop hiding behind that ridiculous mask...he can be so corny at times. It's embarrassing to be around him when he acts all mighty." Sango giggled at Kagome's comment.

"True Kagome, but we all know that he as a thing for you." Kagome looked down at the Bento, her face growing warm.

"If that's so...I just wish he could stop pretending to be what he's not. And..and...embrace me instead of push me away." Kogome crossed her arms over her chest and hugged herself. "Even if it's just for a second. It'd be a nice change of pace." As these words struck Sango, all she found decent enough to do was to nod. Kagome sighed and put a large slice of kyuri in her mouth and munched on it, in her mind, picturing Inu-Yasha sneering at her, thinking that he's all hot stuff. Kagome grunted as his cold remarks from the past rushed in her mind.

"Kagome! You stupid wench! Where the heck have you run off to!!!??" Came a voice and Kagome looked at Sango.

"Wow. All these memories seem so real. I actually thought I herd him that time!" Kagome said and Snago shook her head.

"Incoming...." Sango said with a stare as a flash of red ran right past them, a pull of wind fallowing it. Kagome let out a yelp and the red stopped.

"INU-YASHA!!!!" Kagome yelled at the top of her lungs. Inu-Yasha turned around to look at them. He suddenly had the urge to run for the hills. Kagome was standing up, her blanket was five feet away from her, and food was scattered all over the ground, including Kagome's cloths and hair. Sango sat, glaring at Inu-Yasha, a few pieces of food sticking to her. Kirara just hissed at him. Inu-Yasha did not notice the glaring at first, his mind was on the food that was platted all over the girls. He looked at Kagome, who had kyuri juice all over her cloths and surume in her hair. Inu-Yasha pointed at Kagome, his face holding a large grin.

"Oi, Kagome! You look like something Kirara brings us for dinner that came from the sea!" Inu-Yasha stated, his nose taking a whiff of the air. "And ya smell like it too, ya fish-girl! Haven't you herd of a bath!?" Inu-Yasha taunted taking a hand and covering his nose with it. Kagome stomped her foot. She growled as she approached him, both her hands in a tight fist beside her. She stood on her toes to look him in the eye.

"Look here you insolent jerk! I was having a nice meal with out you for once...and you completely ruin it! Have you no regard for others, you..you...Demon Wanna Be!!!" Kagome screamed at him, her hand soared in the air and smacked him across the face. Inu-Yasha stood, dazed for a moment, her words sinking in. Kagome did not wait for his response before she left him once again. She walked back over to Sango and picked up her yellow bag that had flown beside Kirara. Kagome stood tall and walked past Inu-Yasha again, swinging her head sideways, her filthy hair hitting his face. Inu-Yasha turned his head to look at the back of her head. He saw that Kagome had stopped in her tracks a few yards away from them. Inu-Yasha slowly walked towards her knowing that if she stopped during a rampage, something had gotten her attention.

"K-Kagome...?" Inu-Yasha stammered. Kagome pointed. Inu-Yasha looked where she was pointing. It was still north, and above the trees a heavy, black, and thick fog rose above them.

"Smoke....and if it's that much..it must be a fire! A village might have burned down!" Kagome shouted.

"Kagome!" Came a little shout. Kagome turned around and Shippo clung himself to her side. "Kagome! Your not hurt are you?" He asked and Kagome stroked his long soft auburn hair. She nodded giving him a soft `un' in response. Shippo opened his eyes and looked out, "there's the fire!" Shippo turned around, "Come on Miroku, everyone's safe, but there's a huge smoke cloud up north!" Not long after Shippo shouted, Miroku appeared and stood beside him and Kagome. "What took you so long?" Shippo asked him and Miroku just shook his head.

"Lets just say, there were a few bumps in my path." Miroku said, a dopey grin on his face. Sango glared and stood up. She held Kirara in her arms and walked beside Kagome.

"That means you were flirting with women! You are such a pig!" Sango shot a glare at him and then instantly smiled at Kagome. "Come on Kagome lets go see if they need our help." Kagome nodded and Sango petted Kirara, "Can we have a ride?" Kirara `Mewed' and jumped out of Sango's arms and transformed into her much larger form with a blaze of red hot fire. The two girls and Shippo behind Kagome leapt onto Kirara's back and the four disappeared into the forest.

Inu-Yasha looked over at Miroku, "We better help so that twerp doesn't get herself killed. She still owes me a couple more Jewel shards!" Miroku smirked and watched Inu-Yasha run off, dashing behind him. Miroku caught up to Inu-Yasha and looked at him with the smirk,

"Let me guess...Kagome gave you a hard time. You know you deserve it. To make such a summer blossom so angry. It should be a crime!" Miroku mocked him. Inu-Yasha glared.

"Shut up Monk! Like you have the right to talk! You piss off Sango plenty of times with your leacher ways!!" Inu-Yasha shouted. Miroku covered his mouth with his free hand, looking a bit taken back.

"Why ..Inu-Yasha. I do not believe my ears. Do you think that I'd make Sango truly angry? Why, that's against my religion! Sango's reply is just a violent way of saying `I love you too!'" Miroku said his hands making large motions as they run. Inu-Yasha made a disgusted face.

******

The girls and Shippo wondered the forrest towards where they could see the smoke. As Kirara approached the affected area, they began to see a small trail of smoke approach them.

"We're getting closer. I can actually see the smoke!" Shippo said, immediately hiding hid head behind Kagome. Sango nodded and Kirara stopped in her run.

"What's wrong Kirara?" Sango asked. Kirara turned around and hissed, her fang filled mouth wide open and her eyes shooting killer stares. Shippo and Kagome looked around, Shippo clung to Kagome and pointed up.

"It's up there!!!" He shouted Kagome and Sango looked up, a winged demon flew down, swooping just above them, almost touching them as the gang ducked. The gust of wind that fallowed knocked Shippo and Kagome off of the Fire Neko's back. Sango jumped down off her demon's back and stood in front of Shippo and Kagome. She saw the demon that had attacked them and threw her giant demon killing boomerang, shouting out her battle cry. The boomerang struck the demon in one easy swing, slicing it in half and the bits of the body falling to the ground with a thud. Sango's weapon flew back to her and she caught it in the latch with one hand, sliding backwards with the force. She knelt down to the others.

"You guys ok?" She asked. Kagome nodded and shippo screamed again.

"There's another one!!!" Shippo hid behind Kagome and Sango starred up. Another demon, identical to the pervious one, swooped down and with their clawed feet, grabbed Sango by the hair and dragged her on the ground. Sango dropped her weapon and yelped in surprise. The grey winged demon flew and then released her when she hit a tree. It flew in the air, leaving an almost unconscious demon slayer behind, heading for Kagome and Shippo. Kagome put her hands over her head and bent down, screaming.

"Kagome!!" Came a familiar voice and Kagome looked to her side with cation. Demon parts fell to the ground and she saw feet by her face. "Idiot!" Inu-Yasha snorted at Kagome. Kagome stood up and eyed him.

"Why..you..!" She said as Shippo clung to Kagome's side. Miroku ran past them shouting `Sango!' The three looked over to where Miroku ran, only to see a hurt Sango sitting up. Kirara stood beside her and licked her master's face. Miroku kneeled in front of her and checked her head for any damage.

"Sango are you all right?" Kagome asked. Sango nodded and stood up.

"I'm not at all hurt, it was more of just a shock." She replied as she walked slowly to her weapon that laid on the ground. Inu-Yasha snorted and walked over and picked up her boomerang for her, slinging it over his shoulder and walking off into the smoky direction. Sango smiled and Kirara bent down so she could easily get Sango onto her back. Sango patted Kirara's back and Kagome and Shippo jumped on behind Sango. Kagome wrapped her arms around Sango's waist to make sure that Sango wouldn't fall. Kirara began lciking and Miroku followed beside them.

"Hey...Miroku." Shippo began to ask, "Why did those demons attack us?" Miroku looked around at the smoke that just got thicker.

"I suppose this smoke, it has got the demons confused. I'm sure they can barley see in this smoke, so whatever moves, they have no idea if it's an enemy or not. You must have just startled them. I think we are close. Can you hear that?" In front of them stood Inu-Yasha, the boomerang still over his shoulder. Kirara and Miroku all stopped beside their dog-eared friend. They all looked straight ahead, the girls gasping at the sight.

"In all the hells...." Inu-Yasha stated blandly.

*****

AN:

Ok I fear I must stop the chapter here. I wanted a good cliff hanger for this chapter and I think this is a great sport for it. Also.. I think this chapter has gone on long enough..as I have typed this I'm on my 11th page! Wow! Review and tel me what you think of it. I'll update as soon as I get the chance.

Ja Ne all!

PS: I used some japanese words you might not have been farmiliar with so here is a dictionary for you.

Kitsune- is a fox. What Shippo is. Inu-Yasha called him a Badger because Badgers are also shape shifters. Shippo takes to being called a Badger offensively.

Bento-a boxed lunch. It can hold a bunch of goodies.

Kyuri-a Japanese long cucumber. In Kagome and Sango's Bento, Kagome cut it up in small pieces for it to fit.

Surume-lets just say it's a dried form of fish. This type of food was eaten way back, even in the ancient times. I thought it was the perfect food to put into the feudal area!

Neko-is a cat

Oi-`Hey!'

`Un'-an agreeing sound