InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Am Who I Am ❯ Free? ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Free?

AN: welcome to the fifth chapter of `I am Who I Am'. I hope that you all are enjoying it, and thankx a bunchies to all that have reviewed as well.

Ja Ne!

****************

After the incident in the forest, there was a certain tension raging on in the campsite, and it was Sango's flaming glares that had set it. Kagome finished stitching Sango's ripped kimono back together, and was busy stirring the ever slow cooking Ramen from the twigs that survived Sango's blows and Miroku's feet. Due to the slow progress, they also had an extremely impatient Inu-Yasha on their hands. He would be up in a tree, trying to distract himself by pretending to be a look out. Then he would be pacing on the ground, giving death glared to all. Then, of course, be pestering Kagome about it, telling her to speed it up. That tactic got him sat a few times.

Shippo never left the new girl's side. They now sat by a tree not too far away from the rest of the group. The girl would watch the rest of the gang, and found it most odd when Inu-Yasha was sat. She wondered why the barking male liked to eat dirt. She believed the command that the strangely dressed girl gave him was simple enough to follow. (AN-She doesn't get the whole sit spell, she thinks Kagome is telling him to sit down, not belly flop the ground). She would tilt her head at them, then look away, adoring the night sky. She kept her body hidden, but her hands rested on the ground, and Shippo turned his head and got a good look at them. The sight of her hands made his stomach cringe, he never thought he'd see such hands that looked so painful on a living creature. The rusted blood, smeared dirt, and sliced skin, he only saw on a dead man's body after Inu-Yasha disposed of them.

It was not long after that, that Shippo's ears picked up a sound. He turned his head towards the others and discovered Kagome calling him. He stood up and took a step to Kagome, then stopped. He turned and faced the girl, he could feel her eyes looking at him in the corners of her eyes, even if he couldn't see her face. He knelt down to eye level to her, her head turned slightly towards him, he could see her eyes in the moonlight, silver, crystal clear orbs like no other. They showed much more maturity then her height gave her the appearance of. He gulped as the pure eyes glanced at him, not blinking. Finally, with clenched fists, he tilted his body down towards her a bit in a nervous bow.

"I'll be right back." He said, stood straight up and trotted off to Kagome. Kagome smiled at him, as he approached. The girl sat and watched them engage in a small chat. She saw how the girl handed her foxy friend two round things that resembled bowls, only much thinner, and hashi. She watched, with curiosity, as Shippo returned, carrying the bowls, and stepping lightly so in order not to drop it.

When Shippo returned to her he handed her a bowl, she took it into her small, crusted hands and held it out in front of her, peering inside of it. Shippo sat down and watched her examine the food then bend the paper bowl it was in, with interest. She held onto the bowl gently, she could feel its heat generating from it, it felt good against her sore fingers and palms. She watched as the steam emitted from the noodle dish, smelling the scent. It smelled pretty good. She looked at the young boy beside her and watched how he ate it with the hashi. She mimicked his position, folding the legs, placing the bowl gently in the center of them, and picking it up with the hashi and bringing it to her mouth.

She placed a delectable noodle in her mouth and slurped it up. Her lips smacked together and her tongue cleaned around her mouth from the extra broth. She smiled and then grabbed a chunk-full of noddles in her next serving and plopped them all in her mouth. She smiled at the warmth in her mouth, when it became dangerously clear that the noddles were still a bit too hot to touch her tongue.

She wiggled a bit in her seat, swallowing the chunks of noddles whole, gagging. Shippo put his bowl on the ground and watched her in shock for a moment. Her face was red and she was coughing, her fist hitting her chest. Shippo came to the conclusion that she had swallowed it the wrong way (AN- well isn't he quick?) And patted her on the back. The girl hacked a few more times before able to breath.

She put her hands on her face, her face was warm from the hot noddles and from embarrassment. She had sweat coming down her forehead and her hood wasn't helping any. She took her hands and pushed the cloth off of her face, the cool night air felt good against her skin and hair. She breathed heavily for few moments, catching her breath, looking at the ground, while Shippo's eyes were on her.

He watched as her midnight hair covered her face, in the moonlight it had a silvery glow to it. Her hair was outlined with Silver highlights that reflected light like crystals. On the top of her head, ears twitched. They were similar to Inu-Yasha's ears, only smaller and more silver then snow white. From what he could see of her face, it was pale, and in a lot of better condition then her hands were. It looked like her face only bared the smudges of dirt, but no cutes.

She turned her head at Shippo after catching her breath. Her silver eyes showed embarrassment. And her pale skin had light color in the cheeks. Shippo smiled at her and got comfortable on the ground again and slurped some noddles. If there is one thing he learned about girls from Kagome and Inu-Yasha's examples were that if a girl is embarrassed it's better not to say a thing about it at all. It would only get the girl pissed at you.

The girl watched him eat some more, and waited about ten minutes for hers to become touchable cool. She looked over at the kitsune again, her tiny ears twitched.

"Shippo....." The girl whispered softly, loud enough just for him to hear. Shippo almost had noddles coming out of his nose from shock. She had actually said something. He looked at her as she said his name again, her eyes holding a small depression in them. Her voice held a sadness to it, Shippo believed that the sadness didn't suit such a pure looking thing at all. Shippo looked her in the eyes and nodded. The girls lips curled up a smile at him, and Shippo could feel his heart jump out of his chest at the sight of it. The girl took a crusted hand and pointed a bloody finger at herself.

"Shika......" She spoke just as softly as before, and Shippo repeated `Shika' and the girl nodded happily.

"My mother named me that," she began, "she named me that because a shika was the first thing outside my home I saw. It was a shika demon, it ran wild and free. My mother always told me that no matter what, one day I'd be free from the hell I was born into. I'd run free...just like a shika." She looked down, silent, for a moment. Then her eyes looked up straight into Shippo's.

"Shippo-kun...with you..am I ..free?" Shippo's widened a bit at her question. Had her village really imprisoned her that harshly? Shippo felt his heart pound in his chest as her pure and clear eyes stared straight into his. His eyes softened and he nodded.

"Your as free as one can be, Shika. We travel all over the place, we get into a lot of danger, but...." Shippo stopped and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I wont let anything happen to you. Not even Naraku can lay a finger on you. A certainly not grouch Inu-Yasha." Shippo smirked and shot a glare at Inu-Yasha from the corner of his eyes. Shika smiled and giggled. Shippo returned the smile, and then his body went against his mind and acted on it's own.

His lips placed a small and light kiss, solidly on her head, by a twitching ear. Shika's eyes widened and Shippo's heart beated against his chest like a million of Inu-Yasha's punches. His eyes scanned the ground for a cover up. He just smiled at her, repeating what he said earlier.

"You're safe with us." Shika smiled at him again.

"Arigatou.....Shippo-kun." She whispered and the two finished what was left in their bowl, broth and all.

**************TBC********

Ok that's the end of Chapter `Free?' Thanks to all who have read all of my fanfictions so far. And double thanks to those who took the time out of their busy reading time to review! I'm glad you all are enjoying this one. I'll be back soon for a sixth update. HOPE TO SEE YOU THEN!

Ok here is a dictionary for this chapter.

Hashi-chopsticks

The bowls that the characters were eating dinner out of were Paper Bowls. (Just incase you didn't understand)

Shika- literally means deer. Deers are known as shy, timid, and peaceful creatures. They can be seen running around in the forest, giving them a no border lines. They are true free creatures, and Shika wants to be just like the ones she sees.

PS: REVIEW REVIEW! ^^ Arigatou!

Ja Ne