InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Am Who I Am ❯ The gift of understanding ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author's note:


Oh thank you for returning. I have had a very busy life, but alas, I have made time to update! Sorry for the wait, I had eight valley ball games, a college convention, and house chores to do in the past two weeks. Whew! Some very late nights. Thanks to those that have read and reviewed.


Chapter 12


She saw her, a girl her own age, a human girl. Rin starred at the girl who sat on the rock as she was starred back at. She saw the girl's cuts and scars as they brought back the horrible past she had left behind. She shook her head, ridding herself of the memories, thinking if the girl was one like her; running for her life, hiding out of terror. The pony-tailed Rin placed down her flowers she picked and began to walk towards the other girl.


Shika watched as the human approached her. A human, the species that had given her these marks and fears. Was this one going to mock her ad torment her? Shika's heart beat quickened and she could feel the beating pulse throughout her body. She did not blink as the human stopped in front of her, but when a hand was extended to her, she squeezed her eyes shut and repelled from the and as if it were a vile snake. Shika's small and quivering hands became shaking fists as she was perparing herself for a blow or a slap. It really was no big deal anymore, everyone did it. Something you learn to get used to, and she was perpared to take it. It startled her that her skin didn't become numb, but formed goosebumps from the small fingertips that laid softly on top of her head. Her dull eyes opened with surprise and starred into the big eyes of the human.



Rin removed her hand from Shika's head and lightly stroaked a scar the curved across the back of Shika's hand. Rin looked at Shika, pity clearly in her eyes, it made Shika's heart pound in her head all over again.


"Does that hurt?" Rin asked, removing her hand from Shika's scar. Shika's mind raced, here was a human child asking if she was in pain. Normally it was her kind that caused the hurt. Shika grew in confusion and starred straight at the ground. Rin scooted and sat on the large rock with Shika, their backs facing each other, close but not touching. Rin tilted her head up and looked at the bright mooned sky.



"Rin went silent after it all ended, for trouble was just starting for Rin." Rin spoke softly and calmly, catching Shika's attention.


"Rin lost parents a long time ago, had to survive on scraps of what could be found. Rin was caught taking fish from the river many times and was beaten by the villigers, even those that were mother's friends. It hurt. It hurt a lot." Rin fell silent, kicking her legs in the air. Shika looked down at her hands, the village she was able to run from, but the scars would haunt her, she would take a piece of the village with her where ever she went. There was no excape to the torment she would endure, she knew that, she had to learn to live with it, she wasn't ready to.


"Yes. It hurts." Shika began to say, Rin turning her head slightly to look at the back of the other girl's head. "But. It doesn't hurt like other things, I guess."


"Like what?"


"Pain caused by cuts will fade, the pain of rejection will never." Rin had to nod her head at that, looking at the ground, and recalling all the times she was cornered and beated for taking 1/4th of a loaf of bread.



"My Mommy was completly rejected after she had me. Then, she died, and everynight I prayed that the sun would never rise so the villagers would never wake up. Foolish wishes. After she died, I have always wanted to see my Daddy at least once. I finally did, but he doesn't wish to have me either. I am left with no home again." Shika fell silent as well, her hands shaking as she tucked her chin into her chest, biting her lip. Her body fell more at ease when Rin rested her back up against hers. To Shika it was a motion of understanding, the silence was a wonderful escape from all the shouts and fighting she was used to.


"He didn't know what to do." Rin's voice broke the quiet of the night, gaining Shika's curiousity on what she ment by that.


"Your Daddy. Rin thinks, he didn't know how he should react. That or he was confused himself and need time to think things throught. No parent can coodly push their own blood away. Some might, but there is always the great sadness of regret, and that is harder to carry on then any other thing."


"Thank you." Shika's eyes overflowed with water and her face became a fountain that sprinkled rain silently.


"SHIKA!"


Shika's whole body shook and she leapt to her feet. Rin, startled as well fell to the floor at the bare feet of a man standing before her. She looked up into a being that had gold for eyes and hair of pearls. The eyes starred at her as the being spoke harshly to her.


"Go home."


Rin leapt to her feet and briskly walked away, taking the flowers, not looking back at the demon. Shika watched her. So, was she afraid of demons? Shika turned to face the demon that came to take her. She swallowed hard as the gorgious eyes looked appon her, her in that marked and horrid form. What a sight she must be. She felt her body stiffen and shake as her tears streamed down her face again.


Inu-Yasha quickly walked over to her, got on his knees and grasped her in his arms. He held her tight and close.


"I know." He said as he petted her black hair. "I know." Shika let herself loose on his shoulder.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


"Shika's what, Shippo?" Kagome asked, as she, the monk, and Sango surrounded him. Shippo shook out of nerves, but stood his ground and looked at the floor.



"Tonight is her human night." He said.


"So? All half demon have such a state." Miroku said, looking down at the small fox demon.


"You know how a demon can heal itself? Even a half breed like Inu-Yasha can survive fatal blows that humans can't if given a day, but... Shika's human for is covered in scars. It's as if the villagers knew that she could heal as long as shes in half demon form. Inu-Yasha doesn't have very many because he hid. My guess is Shika didn't have that option, they tortured her on her human nights, giving her wounds that will never heal while she's human."


"Oh..that's so cruel." Kagome said as the other two nodded. "She'll carry them all her life on her human nights. Those nights must be the lonliest, her and her scars of the past."


"I know." Shippo said.


_ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _


About an hour later, the whole gang, including human Shika, sat at the campsite. Shika and Shippo sat off in the corner as the others huddled around to discuss.


"Shika. For the last time, what did that girl say to you?" Inu-Yasha said, impatiently, asking for the 100th time. Shika shook her head, a smile curling on her lips.


"Nothing special."


"Inu-Yasha stop bugging her!" Kagome hissed at him. "You don't know a thing that happened, it isn't good to judge before knowing the facts."


"I'm sure that bastard manipulated that human child to say something to Shika. Hurting his own blood at any means. It reeks with his scent." Inu-Yasha growled and the rest fell silent. It wasn't smart to argue at this time.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _


Beyond the trees, listening intesnly, stood a spy. The easedropper smirked at her findings.


"So that is what has kept the mutt busy lately....That girl....hmph." The sneaky shadow plucked a small feather from her hair and with a gust of wind was sailing in the nightsky upon a large feather.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _

TBC


Sorry I have to end it here. Not too much happened, but I thought it was a good way to end this chapter.


Review and let me know what you think!


See you next update!


Yes, this is my second version of this chapter. I use a Word Pad to type on and it does not contain any spelling things so it is up to me to find my errors, I also have a wireless keypad and at times it doesn't read what I type...stupid thing. Sorry if there were more mistakes then usual, thats what happens when you try to proofread very late at night while watching Inu-Yasha. But, I always reread my work the morning after I post it, I only post it to have something up. I know it's stupid, but knowing I got something done that day helps me sleep easier. So please excuse any inconvinence, and even though I do have a spelling flaw, I hope you will continue to read.