InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ Beginings of Friendship ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Again, I don't own Inuyasha and if Sesshoumaru seems OOC too damn bad, he has a heart under all that ice. This is entirely a flashback. It's also quite long. You've been warned, have fun.

I'd like to say thank you for all the reviews I got, I'll try to update soon.

Chapter 4 Beginnings of Friendship?

Kagome, Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, Shippo, Ayame, and Kouga sat around the camp fire. Earlier Kagome and Inuyasha had finally admitted their feelings to one another, but Kagome had loved enough to let him go. Inuyasha was strangely quiet about Kouga being there, but then again the wolf prince had handed over his shards to Kagome.

Kagome spoke into the uneasy silence, "We have all the shards that are not in the hands of Naraku. I think the time for the final confrontation has come and if we've any chance at success we need to work together."

"Feh," groaned Inuyasha.

"Like hell," snarled Kouga.

"Will you two grow up?!" Kagome yelled angrily, "We don't exactly have time for this crap!"

Both boys were stunned "Kagome?" was their unified response.

"Well we don't," she said firmly. "Also, the sooner you two agree to put aside the differences, the easier it will be for all of us when our last ally arrives."

"Who?" everyone asked in concert.

"Sesshoumaru," Kagome answered.

"What?" snarled Inuyasha.

"You're joking," cried Sango.

"Not possible," was Miroku's response.

Shippo whimpered.

"Great, another annoying dog," was Kouga's statement.

"Shut up, wimpy wolf," was torn from Inuyasha.

"I said Sesshoumaru was our last ally against Naraku," Kagome stated, she knew he was there and that was why she'd brought it up.

"How could you do that?" whined Inuyasha.

"Maybe because the wench sees your inherent weakness and felt strength was needed." His voice was cool and emotionless. Sesshoumaru entered the firelight and everyone except Kagome and Inuyasha moved away from him.

Inuyasha's hand was on Tetsusaiga's hilt and his eyes and voice snarled, "Her name is Kagome."

Kagome's heart warmed at his statement as she took a step toward the youkai prince. "Looks like you got the rise out of your brother you were looking for Sesshoumaru-sama," she said dryly as she approached him and bowed her head slightly. "Thank you for coming, Lord Sesshoumaru."

Sesshoumaru gave her the briefest of acknowledgements with his golden eyes before looking again at his brother. Inuyasha was virtually quivering with rage. "How can you show this pompous ass any respect? He doesn't deserve it."

Sesshoumaru's eyes narrowed dangerously, "At least the Miko knows who deserves respect and doesn't dare the wrath of a youkai lord without reason."

"Then let's start something." Inuyasha began to draw the fang.

"Sit," said Kagome, flattening Inuyasha to the ground, "there will be no blood shed between allies." She than turned her attention to Sesshoumaru. "Do I have you word Sesshoumaru-sama, as we discussed at your castle?"

His eyes left his brother's visage with contempt and suppressed amusement. He looked at Kagome and remembered what they had discussed concerning this encounter. He spoke without emotion, "I give you my word, Kagome, that I will fight beside you and Inuyasha until Naraku is dead. During that time I will not attempt to kill Inuyasha or any of our allies. I also vow I will not claim Tetsusaiga as mine. That was our agreement, correct Miko?"

"Hai, that was the agreement," she replied, "then it is time I upheld my part of the deal." That said she stepped up to Sesshoumaru. Blue white light began to swirl in her aura, not visible to the naked eye. She could feel the power building and flowing through her. Kagome removed the cloak covering his stump of a left arm. She gently placed her hands on the stump of flesh which would take another century to fully heal on its own.

Inuyasha couldn't move; he almost couldn't breath. Not more than four hours ago she had told him she loved him. Now here was the woman he loved with her hands on his hated brother's body, tenderly touching the wound he inflicted while protecting her all that time ago. Inuyasha felt an ache and wondered if his heart was breaking.

Kagome closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. This close she could smell his slightly musky scent, it was the scent of spring growth in a healthy forest. The scent seemed to steady her as she felt her hands begin to warm. They were so warm they almost seemed hot. She concentrated, asking Tenseiga to help heal its master. She cleared all thought except the image of a restored arm from her mind.

With her mind's eye, Kagome saw the blue green healing energy flowing with his blood. She saw bone and tissue grow and mend under her touch. With all her will she replaced the emptiness with a strong arm and poison claws. She was vaguely aware of the movement of flesh and bone under her hands. She could feel her being laced in her will and her strength restoring what was taken from him, her friend.

Sesshoumaru felt the warmth from her hands on his shoulder. He looked down at her, inhaling her sweet scent. It was slightly marred by Inuyasha's scent, but her clean intoxicating scent caught his attention. *She is rather lovely, for a human. That foolish Hanyou brother of mine better treat her right.* The thought and its incredible tenderness and protectiveness came unbidden to his mind. He kept his mask of indifference in place, but Rin and Kagome would have recognized the affection in his eyes.

Sesshoumaru's eyes strayed from the ethereal face of the Miko and turned his attention to his arm. The bone appeared bit by bit and was surrounded by tissue and then flesh. Centimeter by centimeter his arm grew back. He looked with his inner sight and saw her pure soul swirling with healing energy as it engulfed his arm. He watched it shape the tissue just before the tissue appeared. He could see it draining her strength and wondered how he had ever earned this kindness.

Kagome's body hid from view what she was doing. All her companions knew was she was touching the cold blooded youkai lord with strange tenderness. Inuyasha and Kouga both felt betrayal, though Inuyasha's was more pronounced. Sango and Miroku were concerned for their friend. After all there was no telling what a youkai lord would do to a human for being so familiar with him, even if he had been friendly recently. Shippo hoped he wouldn't revert to his cruelty and hurt his mom. Ayame was perhaps the one least concerned. She hoped this apparent tenderness would make Kouga forget about his so called love for Kagome.

Anxious minutes passed. Kagome opened her eyes, her hands now cool, were resting on Sesshoumaru's shoulder. Attached to said shoulder was a complete arm ending in cold deadly claws. Kagome took a hesitant step away and as she looked at her healing her eyes began to blur. She started to fall.

Sesshoumaru caught her gently with his restored arm and carefully cradled her in his embrace. Shock kept everyone glued to their place. He looked down at the frail looking girl woman in his arms and felt an overwhelming desire to protect her. Inuyasha and Shippo were the first to recover from the shock of seeing Sesshoumaru hold Kagome.

"Get your hands off her!" yelled Inuyasha.

"Brother," Inuyasha stopped in mid-step at the sound of his brother's soft voice, "Kagome only fainted from the strain of restoring my arm." Inuyasha registered then that his brother did indeed have both arms. Again he felt the pain in his chest. She healed his hated brother. "She will be fine Inuyasha."

"Mamma," Shippo whispered, cuddled to her in spite of the youkai price. Sesshoumaru glanced at the little pup on Kagome's chest and internally smiled. Inuyasha glared at his bother who was glancing at the kitsune pup as he approached.

"I'll take care of her," Inuyasha stated as he reached to take her from Sesshoumaru's arms. Sesshoumaru handed Kagome to his brother, giving him a look colder than ice and scarier than death. Inuyasha took her from his arms and turned away.

Sesshoumaru hoped the Hanyou felt the subtle threat should he fail in his task and jumped to a perch above the camp. He watched as his despised brother walked with the sweet miko in his arms to Kagome's sleeping bag. Sango unrolled the strange bedding and Inuyasha set her in it. Sango then secured her in the bag and the group finished making camp. Sesshoumaru watched as Inuyasha placed a kiss on Kagome's forehead and wished he could do the same.

*I won't let your faith in me be wasted. You're one of only two beings alive in this world who seem to honestly care about me without any expectations. I still don't understand why you care considering how we first met and many of the subsequent times. You really infuriate me, human, and if he ever hurts you again I'll rip him apart.* His eyes smiled down at the lovely miko and his heart felt intense tenderness for her. *Sweet dreams Kagome-chan.*

~~~about six months earlier~~~

Sesshoumaru wasn't sure when it had happened, but Inuyasha's wench had become a fascinating creature in his mind. He found himself studying her more and more each time he clashed with his brother. It was extremely bothersome thinking about a worthless human. He was near Inuyasha's camp when he became aware of her scent.

It filled his awareness, the gentle scent of lavender and jasmine after a fresh rain. It flowed over him like a warm blanket. He marveled at its texture, soft and silky. Then something intruded on its calming effect. The addition was salty, human sorrow lacing its way through her intoxicating flavor. He moved with silent grace to where the scent was strongest.

Even before he noticed her with his eyes, his phenomenal hearing caught her quiet sobs. She was leaning against a tree, forehead against its rough bark. Tears streamed from both eyes as one hand clawed the defenseless tree and the other clutched her chest as if in pain. He studied her without outward emotion. Her sobs quieted until all that remained was her ragged breathing and silent tears. She looked to be drawing strength from the tree.

He extended his exceptional hearing to catch the pained words whispered quietly to the night. "Why Inuyasha? Why choose her, even after she tries to kill me, steals the Shikon shards and gives them to Naraku, and tries to drag you to hell? Why her over me? Why do you love her more than me? I'm not a replica, a fake, or a substitute; I'm me Kagome. Don't you see that I love you?" She turned from the tree as she spoke and looked back into the woods.

Sesshoumaru could smell Inuyasha in the direction she looked, but even more disgusting was the scent of death and decay, much like a grave, that accompanied his brother's already nauseating scent. He glanced back at Kagome as she wiped her tears. She had a determined look on her face though her lips quivered and her eyes filled again with moisture. "This time I won't let myself be lulled into thinking you care. Goodbye Inuyasha, I hope that corpse makes you happy." The last was so bitter even Sesshoumaru flinched from it.

As she started back toward the camp, the scent of another approached. It was the scent of juniper berries and autumn leaves. Then he saw the other human girl who traveled with Inuyasha. She was the youkai exterminator. Even out of combat she carried her large boomerang. There was concern in her aura as she approached her friend.

Kagome saw Sango about the same time her silent observer did. Sango approached concern in her eyes. Sango was dressed for sleep yet her weapon was in her hand.

"Kagome-chan?" asked Sango quietly as she entered the small clearing.

Kagome knew her friend could see the emotional damage etched in her face. She understood Sango would offer sympathy and the love of a sister. Kagome didn't want it at the moment. "Sango-chan.. I'm going home." Her voice was almost too quiet for Sango to hear, but the pain spoke as loudly as a shout.

"Why? What did Inuyasha say this time?" asked an exasperated Sango.

"He didn't say anything.." Kagome paused, controlling her pain. "He was in Kikyou's arms again." The bitterness and pain was rather evident in her tone.

Anger welled up inside of Sango and she said, "That jerk. Doesn't he know yet how special you are? He's a complete fool, Kagome-chan." Sango said and then pulled her friend into a warm hug. Neither girl knew a silent observer agreed with Sango's assessment of a certain Hanyou. Kagome wrapped her arms around the offered sanctuary and cried. "Kagome let it go. Cry as much as you need. And if you need to go home, than go and I'll make your good byes to everyone."

"Thank you Sango-chan."

"You're welcome, just be careful. Also, are you coming back?"

"I have to. The Shards are still my responsibility and I need to collect them. Naraku still needs to be killed and Shippo needs his mom as long as I can be there for him. Although I may be gone for quite a while, so please look after Shippo for me."

"I will Kagome-chan. Now let's go back and you can get ready to go." Sango said with a strength she didn't feel. Kagome smiled weakly and the two went back to camp.

Sesshoumaru silently, gracefully followed the two girls back to camp. He watched as they quietly got Kagome's yellow sack packed up. He was actually surprised by how careful they were not to wake their sleeping companions. The entire time Kagome had silent tears running down her cheeks. Sango and she embraced one last time before Kagome took her bow and quiver and walked off into the night alone.

Sesshoumaru followed with ease. The girl walked with determination and fire in her eyes through out the night. Around dawn Kagome stopped at a clearing. Sesshoumaru noted that this was Inuyasha's forest, near the village were that miko bitch who'd sealed his brother once lived. In the center of the clearing was an old well. Inuyasha and the girl's scent lingered in the clearing and seemed to concentrate near the well.

Sesshoumaru watched impassively from a tree branch, his hair fluttering in the wind. Kagome approached the well and paused to look over the rim. He saw tears start to flow again as she whimpered in pain, though he could see no wound. Even though he was entranced by her pain and almost ethereal quality, he sensed the approach of another demon. The cat demon leapt into the clearing. The girl seemed to become aware at the moment before the demon screeched, "Give me the shards!" and attacked. It clawed at an unprotected Kagome.

Kagome barely evaded the claw by throwing herself away from the well at the last moment. The cat demon flipped and flew to strike again. Kagome couldn't dodge or shoot in time. A sword swiped through the cat demon. Its one tainted shard fell to the ground beside Kagome.

She looked up to see white hair. *Inuyasha?* ran through her mind just before she noticed the tail. Her eyes focused on the fluffy boa like fur and her mind stumbled. It took her another two moments to register what she saw. "Sesshoumaru?" she breathed fearfully.

He didn't know why he had leapt into action, only that he had to. The fear in her scent and voice as she whispered his name caused an unexpected ache inside. He turned gracefully and looked at her. His face was its normal unreadable mask. Hers however was another story. There was intense fear, but also gratitude in her eyes. Other emotions played across her features before she swiftly moved to kneel. Her face hidden by her hair she said, "Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama." He said not a word and approached her as quietly as if he walked on air.

Sesshoumaru reached out with his mind to feel her aura. He was a bit out of practice and was quickly drawn in by the movement of color. She was swirling with deep crimson, indicating her fear, and dark gray exploded out of her in a fireworks display of sadness. But underlying that was a delicate orchid he didn't understand and silver which normally meant purity and innocence. The two colors seemed stronger than her fear and sadness and it confused Sesshoumaru. He had moved over to her prone form while assessing her aura. He knelt in front of her.

He reached out his clawed hand and placed it under her chin. With surprising gentleness he lifted her head until her eyes met his. He showed no emotion in his eyes or voice as he asked, "What is this emotion that is not drowned by your fear and depression?"

Kagome expected the claw to grasp her throat or slice it open. Instead the deadly appendage lifted her head as gently as her mother would have. She was now looking into cold hard golden eyes. She was momentarily lost in the icy suns that burned into her own sapphire jewels. His question caught her off guard and confused her. "What emotion?" she asked perplexed.

"Answer me wench." His flat voice seemed almost angry. The claw was now about her throat. Fear gripped her again, but a strangely powerful anger flared up behind it. *How dare he threaten me just because I can't answer his stupid question.*

When the anger flared past her fear, Sesshoumaru felt something quicken inside him. He knew he had to learn more about this unusual human. She was even more unusual than most youkai females. He allowed a cruel smile to play his inhumanly beautiful lips, casting a terrifying visage across his emotionless features. "I'll have to find the answer myself."

He pulled her to him and wrapped his tail about her for security. Then he picked up the bag so as to leave no evidence of her abduction and took to the air. Her yip of fear and the way she held tightly to him made his blood quicken as he sped back to his camp. Upon arrival, he unceremoniously dropped let her go and she fell to the dirt. He dropped her bag and then said coolly, "You can come out Rin."

The child ran out from behind the bush she was hiding in. With a bright, happy smile she cried, "Sesshoumaru-sama, Sesshoumaru-sama," as she ran around him. She stopped and looked at Kagome. Her mussed hair shifted as she looked back at Sesshoumaru and asked, "Who's the pretty girl, Sesshoumaru-sama."

Kagome had held to the fierce youkai prince as he flew. When the tail's support vanished Kagome had fallen hard to the earth. She heard him speak and wondered,*who's Rin, could she be that human he had last time he fought with Naraku and us?* She looked up and sure enough saw the sweet innocent gap toothed little girl run out to Sesshoumaru happily. Kagome looked in astonishment at the love in the girl's eyes for the cold blooded killer before her. As she looked past the girl she saw the command in his eyes. `Answer her!' Kagome raised herself up and smiled warmly at the child.

"My name is Kagome," she said sweetly to Rin, "and you must be the brave Rin who waited for Sesshoumaru-sama to return."

Rin smiled, "Is Kagome-chan staying with Sesshoumaru-sama the way Rin does?" Her sweet innocent eyes begged for a positive answer.

"For now I believe that is the case Rin-chan," Kagome said to the exuberant little girl. Rin responded by giggling happily and dancing around her youkai lord and new friend. Kagome couldn't help but smile at the girl.

Kagome steeled herself and stood up to look at the fearsome youkai lord of the western lands. She was angry at him and wanted answers. "Why did you kidnap me?" she asked quietly.

He hadn't expected her to heed the silent command so quickly, but it pleased him to know she could. As he looked at her stoically she asked her question. Her eyes held no fear nor did it pervade her scent now. Anger was what burned in her eyes, and to a lesser extent honest curiosity. *Doesn't this wench know I could still kill her?*

"Are you going to stare at me all day or answer my question?" Her voice was almost insolent. His anger rumbled. But Jakken spoke before Sesshoumaru acted.

"No filthy human has the right to speak to Lord Sesshoumaru in such a tone."

"Shut up toad!" she yelled angrily and kicked him. Sesshoumaru would not tolerate such behavior. He lifted her into the air by her neck, much as he did Inuyasha.

"You have less rank and worth than my servant, wench. Watch yourself." He growled slightly and dropped her to the ground before he accidentally strangled her.

When she looked up from the ground him, he kept his face an impassive mask. Inside he marveled at her eyes. The fire burned behind the blue-gray stormy depths filled with rage and hatred. The hatred burned into his very soul and for some reason he couldn't name felt wounded by it.

Kagome's soul burned with rage for this uncaring heartless killer. As she glared at him she thought, *I hate you.* Her thoughts shocked her, but that wasn't what stopped them. She stopped thinking as her mind tried to cope with the confusion she saw in his eyes. The same expressionless features and posture was before her, but his eyes looked almost pained. *What am I thinking? He's not someone to feel. He doesn't even have a heart.* Yet even as the bitter thought crossed her mind she felt guilty. She needed to undo the perceived hurt she caused. She stood up and bowed her head, "Gomen, Sesshoumaru-sama. I should not have attacked your servant." And she looked at a surprised Jakken, "even if he is more useless to you than Myuoga is to Inuyasha." Her barb struck deep and Jakken flushed with anger.

Sesshoumaru kept his face still as her eyes lost their hate. It was all he could do not to sigh with relief. *What do I care if she hates me?* he snarled to himself. As she stood up he watched without any sign of emotion. Her apology surprised him, but he gave no indication. And he had to suppress a smile as she insulted Jakken.

His eyes glanced at his enraged retainer. Jakken sprang at Kagome, staff in hand, and was caught off guard by Sesshoumaru's viselike grip on him. He did not harm his servant, but physically interrupted the attack. In a quite and deadly voice he spoke to them both, "I will not tolerate fighting between you two. That will only slow us down. I will kill the one who slows us down with their words or deeds. Understood?" His expression was one of bored indifference. He then dropped Jakken much as he'd dropped Kagome moments before. Jakken immediately postured on the ground begging forgiveness.

Kagome however appeared much less subdued, yet she said, "I apologize for my rudeness. I won't slow you down, but may I ask where you are headed?" She did bow her head respectfully, although her eyes remained on him. Internally he was amazed by this strange human girl-woman.

He captured her eyes in an icy stare as she unbowed her head. He was actually impressed by the way she met his gaze unflinchingly. He allowed a deadly, feral smile to play his lips and said calmly, "My palace, where I will be able to study and dissect.. you." His smile became crueler as she paled, but somehow her return to fear did not please him.

After a sleepless night, not that he needed sleep yet, caused by the need to keep an eye on his prisoner Kagome he summoned his two headed dragon demon Ah-Un. The two headed mount arrived at his master's call, eager to please. Rin ran over to hug the beast when it arrived and after a light breakfast they left. Rin, Jakken, and Kagome got on the back and Sesshoumaru took to the air, followed by his beast. The entourage arrived at the castle just before night fall. Rin had fallen asleep in Kagome's tender embrace and slept most of the day.

"Wench," Sesshoumaru said.

"I have a name. Its Kagome.. Ka-go-me, not wench, not girl or miko, Kagome," she flared. Rin looked startled next to her.

Sesshoumaru narrowed his eyes dangerously, Jakken was ready to explode. Sesshoumaru realized he was enjoying her rebellion and lowered his voice to a deadly whisper, "You will address me with proper respect, Ka-go-me, if you ever expect to hear your name on my lips again."

Cowed into submission she bowed her head and said, "Gomen, Sesshoumaru-sama."

"Learn you place, and I won't kill you..yet, Kagome." His voice was pitched to send shivers down her spine. Her fear and the tremor that passed through her were the exact response he was looking for. "Now you will follow Jakken to the west wing and he shall set you into the room across from Rin's."

Kagome quaked inside at his cold words. She was glad she'd be near Rin, but she wondered what her fate would be. She decided to be submissive, hoping it might help her survive long enough to see Inuyasha again. *Why do I want to see him again? You know why, because no matter what you still and always will love him.* She had to fight the tears from rising in her eyes.

She pitched her voice to feign respect rather than the terror she felt. "My lord Sesshoumaru-san, I would request the privilege of a bath after being shown to my quarters."

She looked up into his eyes. His long white hair framed a face so beautifully perfect that he looked feminine. The marks on his cheeks and crescent moon on his forehead added an air of mystery to the inhumanly gorgeous man before her. The cold unreadable mask graced his features making him look like a perfect statue of a god. The face was emotionless, yet his eyes were no longer the same cold harsh golden suns from before. Kagome saw something more within them, something warm, she just didn't know what it was.

"Jakken, after she's seen her room take her to the hot springs to bathe. Make sure she changes into more appropriate garments. Rin you should accompany her and bathe as well. Kagome you are to act as my guest and I expect you to dress accordingly. Other than that you have free reign of the castle and grounds. However if you try to leave, I will kill you." His eyes had been on hers the entire time, his voice cold.

She was glad for the bath and a bit surprised at the `freedom', but because of his eyes his threat didn't scare her. She wasn't surprised by his insistence on proper clothing; she just hoped it wouldn't be a miko's garb. She broke the eye contact to bow her head. "Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama."

He turned and glided away on silent feet. Kagome took Rin's hand and followed Jakken to her prison. Rin was an energetic ray of light beside her. Jakken's disgust was like a dark cloud on a sunny day. Kagome prayed she'd survive this imprisonment.

Kagome's prison was beautiful. A large soft futon was in the corner with pillows and blankets neatly arranged on it. The carpet was so soft and plush her feet sank in almost a centimeter. The color scheme was one of light blues and pale greens. The colors were so gentle it seemed to be under water. The large room also had a huge opening on the opposite side that served as a window and a door onto the balcony. The curtains were of a translucent material. They were blue with green waves.

At the foot of the futon was a chest of dark cherry wood, sanded to a fine finish with carved designs accentuating its mahogany hue. A few feet past that, nearer the door was a vanity table with an oval mirror on its natural beauty, again dark cherry wood. Opposite the vanity, also near the door was a small intimate dinning table with two cushions on the floor for sitting. Against the wall near the table, closer to the window was a large wardrobe. The closet was of a slightly darker wood than cherry and was beautifully carved to enhance the natural curves in the wood. Next to the wardrobe was a set of shelves in the wall itself of the same wood as the wardrobe.

Kagome walked over to the wardrobe and opened a door. Her breath caught in her throat at the sight of so many beautiful kimonos and dresses. She tentatively reached a hand to touch them and was startled by their quality. Each was silk or satin and was softer than rabbit fur. They were all of a very gentle color scheme of light blues, greens, and purples.

Jakken impatiently interrupted Kagome, "Just pick one already so I can take you to your bath." He then muttered under his breath, "Not that it will help your nauseating human stench."

Kagome didn't hear the insult and took a light plum kimono and followed Jakken from the room. Rin was in the hall waiting with clean clothes in her arms. The girls followed the obnoxious toad demon to the springs. After he left, muttering about stupid filthy humans, Kagome and Rin cleaned up. Then they got in to enjoy the warm water. Kagome was strangely content as she and Rin spoke of rather inconsequential things.

"Kagome will be Rin's sister, right?"

"I don't know how long I'm staying here." As Rin's face began to fall, "but I'll gladly be your sister." The statement earned her a big happy grin. The light shinning from Rin's innocent face made Kagome smile back at her.
"Kagome will stay a while at least, right?"

"Yes, I don't think I'm leaving any time soon." Her sign was in resignation, but Rin smiled even more brightly.

In the days following her capture, Kagome felt the pain in her hear easing with Rin's innocent smiles and Sesshoumaru's glares. She also found herself truly alone with her inner self and came to realize many things about her own heart. She knew as she sat in the warmth of the sun that no matter how hard she tried or wanted to she'd never forget or stop loving Inuyasha. She also came to understand he hadn't betrayed her, not that it didn't feel that way, but he had loved Kikyou long before Kagome came into his life. She knew in those moments of contentment with Rin and the sun that all would work out between herself and Inuyasha.

Sesshoumaru was content with his world at the moment. Instead of being an annoyance, Kagome's presence was calming. Rin's happiness and Kagome's strange contentment were infectious and everyone felt and reacted to it, even Sesshoumaru. He found himself watching Rin and Kagome from a balcony and stopped the smile that wanted to grace his lips. He saw the last thing he had expected appear on Kagome's face. She smiled a pure sweet genuine smile not tainted by sorrow. He reached with his mind to feel her aura.

He was stunned for the moment. The gray of depression was gone and only hints of light gray sadness remained flecked through out swirls of color. The light orchid and silver pervaded her entire being, this was her core self. Aside from the core colors hints of happy yellow and streaks of blue-green contentment mingled. Rarely had he ever pushed past the surface to listen to thoughts, but he had to know what was within this girl. He needed to understand this pure strength he saw.

~~Kagome's thoughts~~

Inuyasha I know you love Kikyou and while I will always hate the fact that I am second in your heart I'll always love you. You brought an unparalleled sweetness into my soul even though you may never know that. It's there because you do love me, even if you don't know that yourself. I love you and I know we will both find happiness in the end. I'm not sure how I can be so certain, I just am.

I've had so much love given to me in my life, maybe that's how I can see your love behind your mask. My family and friends have given me such joy its only fitting that they cause me the most unbearable pain. You cause me the most of both feelings, you baka. I'm sorry I ran off and got captured. I know you'll blame yourself and worry over me and that knowledge gives me hope. Hope that we will succeed where others know we will fail.

In spite of the pain this will have caused you, my sweet puppy, I'm actually kind of glad it happened this way. If I had made it home I don't think I would have found this place inside myself. Do you have any idea of what it's like to confront yourself without any masks? It's painful and enlightening all at once. Being here has forced me to confront myself and I don't regret this time one little bit. I know a little over a week seems like such a short time, but it's sufficient to face your demons, no pun intended my sweet.

*Her mind chuckled as Rin ran happily through the flowers. Her aura flared with orchid.*

I've found peace here, in the second to the last place on earth you'd expect to find it. I don't understand entirely why I've felt this here, but after that first uncomfortable dinner I've felt safe with Sesshoumaru. Oh I know he could kill me in a heartbeat and not even notice he'd done so, but I don't think he will or even wants to. Not anymore, I think he wants to understand the heart he's hidden for so long. You know what you crazy puppy; I believe he really loves Rin like his own daughter. I doubt he even realizes he feels this way, but I would almost guarantee he does.

*Deep inside him, Sesshoumaru felt the truth of her words and something started to heal at long last within his heart. He wondered at the strength of her heart to envision and speak to his despised brother with such tenderness. The dialogue reminded him of something from long ago, from the time before the brothers truly hated one another.*

I love Rin too. She's so sweet and innocent, yet something inside her has known true evil. I wonder if Sesshoumaru realizes how strong his little pup is. Her lovable soul makes me miss Shippo. I know I'm young to feel such, but he's like a son to me. I miss all of you, but I think this was the best place to be after what I saw and felt. This was a place away from constant unwanted sympathy. This was a place where I was forced into the quietude of my own soul. Here I didn't have mamma or Sango trying to make me forget the pain. Here I was made to see past it and really look at things without the veils loved ones place over your eyes. They mean it for the best, but in the end its not. Not if you're me at least.

I needed this time with an innocent and a demon who doesn't look at me with inexpressible longing. I've been made to see the wellspring of love that resides inside me. The power that all my strength comes from is that wellspring. I now know how to answer Sesshoumaru, but I don't think he'll like the answer. *trepidation* After all I highly doubt he'll want to hear that the emotion that was stronger than fear, grief, and depression was love. It's a weak human emotion after all. *bitterness* It's the core of my being and I'm not sure what I should do. I don't know how or when to tell him I can answer his inquiry.

*Her mind wandered to intangible sweetness as she was caught up in playing with Rin.*

Sesshoumaru withdrew his probe and slowly made his way down to the gardens.

Kagome felt his presence even before Rin spotted him and cried, "Sesshoumaru-sama," and started running around his legs. Kagome looked up from her place in the grass. She couldn't help but think how beautiful he was. His marble expression revealed nothing as he continued to approach in spite of the girl running around him. His golden amber eyes however seemed tender as he tracked her circular progress. *Am I right? Does he love Rin?* His eyes moved from Rin to where she sat in the grass. Somehow they stayed soft, kind.

"Rin go play in your room for a while. I need to speak with Kagome." His command was delivered in a cold emotionless voice.

As Rin's face fell, Kagome's anger flared. She said, "Why not call for Jakken and have him watch her out here? A child should not be kept indoors all the time, especially when the day is so nice." Her voice was admonishing because of her indignant anger.

Sesshoumaru raised a single perfect eyebrow and Kagome felt herself blush in embarrassment. "Rin stay here Jakken get out here and watch Rin." Jakken ran out from a nearby door. Kagome could see his anger even as he humbled himself to Sesshoumaru's command. Then the tall imposing youkai lord turned and strode elegantly toward the door.

Kagome followed that incredibly muscled back with long silver white hair and tail fur ruffling with each step. She knew she was turning red because her eyes kept watching his perfectly sculpted butt move alluringly with each step. She tried to keep her thoughts and eyes away from it by looking down. It only helped a little. She followed him to the library and watched him bonelessly lounge into a reading cushion. She tentatively sat down on the cushion he pointed to across from him.

Sesshoumaru watched as she carefully sat before him. He'd been surprised by the arousal he'd smelled from her as they'd walked and the retreating blush told him he hadn't imagined it. He studied her without expression and asked in a bored tone, "Do you remember the question I asked you the night I kidnapped you?"

For the first time since the first night she'd been there her scent filled with fear. Her fear saddened him a little. He knew he should have expected it even with the internal dialogue she'd had minutes before. He didn't want her fear and said, "Kagome," his voice soft, "I won't hurt you. I just want to talk with you."

He could hear her heart flutter with some unnamed emotion. Her scent also lost its fear and changed into something intangibly sweet. Her scent had once again become almost overpoweringly delicious. He resisted the urge to go over and inhale the scent directly from her. He stopped himself from moving to bury his nose in her hair. Quietly she said, "I remember."

In full control of himself again he said, "Then tell me what that emotion was." *I hope she tells me the truth.* "Because it's even more strongly with you now than that night." She blushed and he internally chuckled although the only outward sign was a kindness in his eyes.

She met his eyes with quiet determination. "The emotion is love." Her voice quivered slightly yet was sure.

"Don't lie to me girl," he said coldly, "How could it have been love when Inuyasha had just betrayed you?"

Her eyes flared with startling fire. The cobalt blue became a stormy sea of emotion. He could also feel her miko powers rising inside and wondered at her unconscious control. "I love Inuyasha. I love my friends and family. I love myself. That is the strong emotion that couldn't be drowned by my fear, grief, or feelings of betrayal. And the betrayal was only perceived. Yes it hurt like hell, but Kikyou has a prior claim to his heart. How could I see it as betrayal after realizing that?"

Her simple truthful statement spoken with angered conviction caused him to pause a moment. He then thought to truly test her words and heart, "But wouldn't it be better if Kikyou was not there?"

She looked down in shame, the anger draining away. "It may bring me happiness, but it would hurt Inuyasha. I couldn't do that to him."

"Why not?"

"Because I love him!" she flared back, the anger returning. "Unlike some cold blooded monsters, I care about weather or not I hurt others." Her tone made it perfectly clear of whom she spoke.

His rage boiled and he lunged at her pinning her down. His claw was inches from her face. "Don't bait me like that!" he snarled at her as the red seeped back out of his eyes. Her fear scent is what snapped him out of his anger. He looked calmly down into frightened eyes that knew death was at the door. His heart clenched in pain and he placed a tentative hand on her cheek. Her flinch wounded him further.

He pulled away and using the hand on her face reached around her head and pulled her gently against him. He cradled her into his chest and leaned his head on hers. He spoke softly into her hair, "Gomen, Kagome." He held her, softly caressing her back until she calmed and the fear completely left her. By the time she was completely calm and secure in his embrace she had fallen asleep. *I won't ever hurt you, I promise.*

More than three weeks had passed since Sesshoumaru had kidnapped Kagome. The two were completely at ease with one another and often sat in the garden watching Rin. The day was like so many others, perfect. Rin was dancing around happily and Kagome and Sesshoumaru were sitting in the grass talking. Kagome directed the conversation to a subject she knew would anger Sesshoumaru, but it had to be brought up.

"I have to return to him soon.." she started.

"No you don't," he interrupted.

"Sesshoumaru, are you jealous?" she joked and he glared at her. "Honestly, you know I need to find the jewel shards and help destroy Naraku."

"Inuyasha will never succeed against that thing."

"Then help us!"

"What?" he asked surprised. Though only Kagome or Rin would have heard it in his voice.

"Work with us to defeat Naraku once and for all. You know that once he has the completed Shikon no Tama he'll be unstoppable."

"I can stop him without aid."

"I'm sure," she replied dryly.

"Are you mocking me," he growled back.

"No. Just observing that if he was that easy an opponent you would have already destroyed him."

He felt a sigh and said, "Alright, I will help you kill that blasted Hanyou abomination. When the time comes send word to me and I will come."

"How am I supposed to do that?" she asked with a self depreciating laugh.

"Silly human," he said with a true smile on his lips, "with this." He held out a small pine cone. She looked at him with confusion and his smile widened. Her breath caught in her throat at the beauty before her and he was entranced by hers. "After I prepare it," he said interrupting the unexpected feelings inside them both, "all you need do is place a bit of your blood on it and crush it. You'll want to keep it with you because blood will call to blood and I will find you." He then broke eye contact to begin the spell.

Kagome watched him drip his blood and poison onto the defenseless pine seed. He was chanting in a language she couldn't comprehend. She could feel the magic wrapping itself around and through the small cone. When he was done it had a slightly red color and it vibrated with power. He took her hand and gently placed the pine cone in it. She couldn't help the tingling she felt at his touch. She smiled with warmth at him and gave him a tight hug.

Sesshoumaru hugged her back with his one arm. He was enjoying her sweet pure scent and wishing he had both arms to hold her with. His unbidden thoughts were interrupted by her quite voice saying, "When you come to us.. I'll restore your arm."

His heart tightened as he asked in a horse whisper, fearing her answer, "Do you not trust me enough to do it now?"

"I do trust you Sesshoumaru, but I can't do it yet. I only now that when you come I will be able to." Her voice was wistful. "I don't even know how I know I'll be able to do it, I just know." She pulled back to look up at him.

Sesshoumaru looked down at her with tenderness in his eyes and said, "I understand, Kagome." He leaned down and graced his lips across her brow as he gave her another gentle squeeze.

The achingly fond moment was broken by Rin calling out, "Kagome-chan, come play with Rin." Kagome laughed and smiled again at the handsome youkai at her side. She then got up and ran to tackle Rin and tickle her. The two continued to play in the flowers with a not so cold hearted youkai lord watching over them. Sesshoumaru was completely at peace with his world at the moment.

The moment was shattered as a bird youkai servant landed. She bowed low and spoke reverently, "My Lord, your lands have been breached by your half brother and his companions."

His eyes narrowed in his calm features. "Escort the party to the front gates. Keep the progress slow, I want them no earlier than sunset."

"Yes my lord, I am at your command." She took to the air and flew off east.

Kagome had heard the servant's announcement and walked cautiously over the Sesshoumaru. She saw a troubled look in his eyes and diffidently asked, "Sesshoumaru-sama does this mean I may leave with my friends when they arrive?"

"If you wish," he said coldly, fighting the pain he was feeling in his heart.

She smiled sadly, she didn't know how she was so sure, but she felt her leaving was causing him pain. She said softly, "Thank you," and a mischievous smile appeared in her eyes, "Fluffy-san."

He glared angrily but felt it vanish as she hugged him tightly. "Don't ever call me that again," he commanded harshly. Not wanting her to tease him with affection he knew she couldn't feel for him.

*Is he really angry at me? I hope not.* She looked up into his pained eyes, *no he's not angry. He just doesn't know it's my way of accepting him as a friend.* "But Fluffy-san, I have to have a nick name for all of my friends." She said sweetly as she smiled at him.

"I'm your friend?" he asked without emotion.

"Yes you are." She said simply.

His heart warmed but he still sternly said, "Then never use that name around anyone else, ever."

"Yes Sesshoumaru-sama," she replied as she released him from the hug. He reluctantly removed his hand from her back as she stepped away. Still smiling at him she said, "I should go change and get ready to meet up with Inuyasha and the gang." Sesshoumaru nodded and she turned to head inside. As she walked away his eyes followed her figure until it entered the castle. His eyes were sad as her retreating back left his view. Kagome could feel his eyes all the way inside. She didn't know why tears were in her eyes as she packed and changed.

Sesshoumaru waited at the gate as Inuyasha and his companions approached. "Where is she?!" screamed a very angry Inuyasha as he drew Tetsusaiga and attacked. Sesshoumaru lightly side stepped Inuyasha's clumsy swing. Inuyasha pushed off of a tree and attacked again only to swipe through air as Sesshoumaru leapt away. Inuyasha pressed another attack and again his brother dodged. Each attack was dodged and Inuyasha was getting very mad. Sesshoumaru didn't fight back; he only continued to taunt his brother with the Hanyou's inability to land a blow. Inuyasha was about to use the wound of the wind when a word split the air.

"Sit!" and Inuyasha was flattened to the ground. "Inuyasha what are you doing?" Kagome angrily asked the flattened dog demon.

"What'd you do that for?" was Inuyasha's complaint in response. He growled as Sesshoumaru landed beside Kagome and the little girl with her.

Sesshoumaru looked down on both girls and thought *Rin will be unhappy.. so will I.* "Rin say good bye to Kagome." The girl's eyes and lips quivered in response.

Kagome kneeled down and gave Rin a tight hug. "Don't cry Rin. I'm still your sister and if Sesshoumaru-sama permits I will visit when I can."

"Promise?" asked Rin on the verge of tears.

"I promise Rin-chan."

Sesshoumaru looked into the eyes of his adopted daughter and said, "You are always welcome in my lands Kagome-san." He noticed the shock among her friends without response. He almost smirked at the fury in his half brother's eyes. He felt Kagome stand and looked back at her.

"Thank you Sesshoumaru-sama." She smiled and his eyes smiled back at her. He fought the desire to hug her goodbye. She didn't succeed it fighting her urge and gave him a tight hug. She whispered so quietly into the stunned silence that even Sesshoumaru wasn't sure he heard right, "I'm glad you're my friend Sesshou-san." He had fought to keep his arm from returning the hug and had failed. She released him and he did likewise.

He nodded and she gave Rin a kiss on her forehead before walking over to her friends. They all still had very shocked looks on their faces. Aside from anger and shock, Inuyasha actually had hurt in his eyes. She chose to ignore the apparent pain and said, "Stop fuming. We have shards to find."

"I was just.."

"Worried?" Inuyasha reddened, "Thank you Inuyasha." And she took his arm and headed into the forest not looking back for fear she would cry.

Sesshoumaru watched them go, hoping she'd turn around. After they were out of sight he lifted Rin in his arm and walked back inside. He didn't even notice the single tear that escaped his eye and fell into Rin's hair. She hugged him tightly in response and some of the sadness left him. He only hoped she truly was his friend.

----------------

As I said, a bit of OOCness from Sesshoumaru, but hope you enjoyed.