InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ Night Tremors ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Yippee, another chapter, this chapter is mostly Dreamwalking (again). **=Sesshoumaru's thoughts in the Dreamwalk and *=Sesshoumaru's emotions or what he's doing within the Dreamwalk

I'm actually rather proud of myself, this time it took less than a month to get the chapter out. I apologize for how long this is taking but I do promise this will get finished.

Disclaimer-nope still not mine.

Chapter 16: Night Tremors

Kagome relaxed in the whirl pool hot tub, leaning against her beloved. Tonight's events shook him, she could feel it. She had suggested they retire to the estate until Monday morning. Sesshoumaru agreed, so now as the hour approached the third past the bewitched dark they relaxed in steaming water. A soft scent of rose and peach, Kagome's bubble bath, tinted the moist air and attempted to sooth wearied hearts with its gentleness.

Sesshoumaru held his mate gently against his side. His body no longer trembled, but tension remained even in this contentment inducing environment. He had almost lost her mere hours ago and the very thought of it hurt his heart. He had nearly killed her with his own claws and guilt wracked his soul. Only the sacrifice of a dear friend, a woman who could have been his mate if things had been different, had saved the life of his love. Fear still coursed in his veins and lanced his calm spirit with agonizing loss. She was not dead, but he knew he would loose her. He did not blame her; he understood that she would leave because she could not possibly still love him, not after tonight. No woman should ever fear her mate, but after the events of this ill fated evening Sesshoumaru had given his mate more than enough reason to fear him. He held her because he wanted to hold her for as long as he could before she left him forever.

Kagome smiled sleepily at her beloved. "Let's go to bed, I'm exhausted." Her abdomen was still somewhat sore, but she had been sure not to let him know there was any lingering pain. He nodded and gently picked her out of the foaming water. She wrapped her arms around his neck and placed a sweet kiss on his lips as he set her down. She held him tightly as water dripped from their hair and he nuzzled her mating mark. Kagome drew back reluctantly and dried off. She then proceeded to walk into the bedroom nude. She pulled on a pair of lace panties and lay on the futon while looking up at Sesshoumaru.

Sesshoumaru followed her and after slipping on silk boxers laid beside her on the futon. He didn't touch her as his entire being cried out to, he simply looked at her. *I love you so much Kagome.* He wanted to hold her so badly his body ached with the need but as one hand twitched to move to hug her guilt and fear held him back.

Kagome knew he was uncertain and she could see the emotions fluttering in his shadowed eyes. She could feel his desire warring with his fear and guilt. Her eyes which had been searching, studying his face met his. She placed every bit of her love into her intense gaze. She reached out and cupped his cheek in her hand. She then leaned in and kissed him gently. After the kiss ended she snuggled against his chest. "Goodnight my love. I'll see you in my dreams as I do every night."

Sesshoumaru whispered, "Goodnight my angel." He wrapped his arms and tail around her lovingly. *Could that be an invitation to Dreamwalk you? I think I will, maybe it will ease my heart.. or perhaps break it utterly.* He rested his head in her hair and let tears fall as he entered a trance.

For a moment Sesshoumaru was a free floating entity, he perceived all the sleeping minds of his staff and nearest town. Every mind was a color of emotion and experience, dreaming what dreams mortals may need. He turned his awareness to the mind closest to him, a beacon brighter and more beautiful than he remembered. Her central colors were unchanged, silver and orchid, but added to them was a hint of earthen amber. Amber was the color of the earth's blood, a sacred magic locked away from mainstream human understanding for centuries. He grazed against the powerfully strong shield around her sleeping mind and a gateway appeared.

Sesshoumaru moved to step through the gate when suddenly Kagura blocked his path. He was actually startled momentarily. He studied her; she was unchanged from when she was alive. "Kagura, what are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing Sesshou-san. I will answer you however instead. I am here because I am now a part of Kagome. Now why are you here?"

"I am Dreamwalking Kagome.. I need to know how she feels; I don't want to loose her."

"I will allow you to pass within, however if you interfere with the dreamtime or her dreams after she visits the dreamtime, I will kick you out of her mind faster than you could blink."

"I will stay a silent observer in this, I promise."

"Then follow me and stay silent." Kagura then turned and seemed to walk down a long flight of stairs. Soon the stairs were gone and an empty plain stretched before them. She then faded from his sight and he felt the stirrings of dreamtime. The gateways between reality, dreams, and magic coalesced and the Dreamtime opened. In the space of a heartbeat the blankness became Inuyasha's Forest.

It was autumn in Inuyasha's Forest and the trees were crowned in royal hues. Red, orange and gold sparkled in iridescent moonlight. Kagome appeared beside the well, standing as if she had always been there. Kagome waited beside the well which had brought her incredible joy and just as much heart ache. She was clad in her dark violet miko outfit and her hair was loose over her shoulders. Her luminous violet eyes slid closed in remembered pain and grief as she turned her face to the gibbous moon. Pale light bathed her slight form and gave an eerie glow to the surrounding mists.

* Sesshoumaru felt his heart aching at the sight of Kagome's grief. He wanted to reach out and comfort her but he knew he could not. He was not allowed to interfere. But he was curious as to why she was in true dreamtime tonight.

*

As she waited three figures took form from the mists of time around her. Inuyasha and Kikyou appeared side by side and Kagura faded into view on the clearing opposite them. Both women gave Inuyasha a nod and he closed his eyes briefly. Inuyasha opened his eyes and walked quietly from the mists across the brittle grass to stand before Kagome. Kagome looked up at him and smiled.

"Kagome," Inuyasha whispered as he hugged her and buried his face in her hair.

"Inuyasha," Kagome sobbed into his chest, "Is this really you? Are you really here?"

"Yes.. I finally earned the right to come here, but only if you allow me to."

"I would not bar you from this place; it is the only place where I can see you. I've missed you so much my sweet puppy-chan." She smiled up at him with her eyes full of love and sadness.

"I missed you too, Kagome-chan. I missed your smiles, your voice, your kindness, even the sits you used to give me. I really wish I could have come sooner but I had to let you go before I could see you again, and you had to let me go too. You had to find love again, and I'm so very happy that you have." He then hugged her again, crying softly into her hair.

* *Why could he not see her until she had love again?* *

Kagome held him tightly, letting her tears stain his shoulder. "Baka, as if seeing you would have kept me from finding love and happiness."

He smirked into her dark tresses, "I can be very possessive, and I probably would not have encouraged you to find happiness with Sesshoumaru.**Bastard** But I'm very glad he is your beloved and mate because I know he will protect you as no human could." **What is your angle in this little brother?** Kagome just shook her head slightly and then trembled in his arms. Inuyasha's hold tightened at the trembling. "What's wrong Kagome-chan?"

"Kami, Inuyasha, why did that damn snake have to do that? Why did he have to make Sesshoumaru attack me?" She started to sob in earnest against his shoulder, "Am I cursed to loose him too?"

* Sesshoumaru could feel little daggers of guilt and shame stabbing his heart. He had doubted her love and now he could see the pain his doubt created in her. *

"No Kagome-chan, my brother may be a baka, but I don't think he's stupid enough to let you go."

**But I was going to let her go, for her own good.**

"That's not what I meant and you know it! I won't let him just up and walk away without fighting tooth and nail if I have to." **I won't walk away Kagome, I'm sorry for doubting you.** She pulled back and glared at Inuyasha's smirking face. Her attempt at intimidation was completely ruined by her tear streaks.

"The future is not written Kagome-chan." Kikyou said as she approached. She gently brushed away Kagome's tears as she stopped beside the two at the well.

Kagome nodded with a rueful smile, "I know. But the past is written, am I correct?" Kikyou raised a questioning eyebrow and nodded. "Then it is possible to view the past, isn't it? I could look into the recent past and see who or what sent that vile bastard after my beloved and I."

"It can be done Kagome, but be sure that the price is something you are able and willing to pay before you do so." Replied Kikyou quietly.

"What is the price?" asked Kagome.

"It will be energy, quite a bit of energy. Luckily because all you want is to view the past it will not be anything else. If you were trying to manipulate events of the past or guarantee outcomes in the future, the price would be much greater than energy." Kikyou said as she studied Kagome.

* *Does she mean that Kagome could change the past or affect the future if she is willing to pay the price?* *

"Alright, let's sift through the past, because I need to know what and why this happened."

"This way," said Inuyasha as he guided her a few feet away from the well. Kikyou walked on her other side and Kagura approached from the edge of the clearing.

Kagome looked into Kagura's ruby irises. "Kagura, I didn't realize you were here too."

"I am where ever you are Kagome-chan. I want to see this as well." Kagome and Kikyou nodded, Inuyasha shrugged.

Inuyasha took Kagome's hand and offered his other hand to Kagura. Kikyou took Kagome's other hand and also held her free hand out to Kagura. Kagura took both proffered hands and the circuit was complete. A slight jolt of energy passed between them and then Kikyou started chanting. Kagome and Inuyasha quickly caught the words, cadence and rhythm. Kagura joined in after the third repetition. Multicolored light began to dance within their circle and then threads of darker color slowly spun off of the globe of energy.

* *That is quite a bit of power they're calling up!* thought Sesshoumaru with a bit of awe and surprise. *

The energy danced on the nonexistence breeze, forming fleeting ghost images of the snake youkai. The images flickered and gained substantiation as they fluttered. They moved between moments in recent time. After about three dozen flashes of memory the image solidified into the time frame Kagome sought. The image of the snake youkai came into view as he was entering the office of another of his breed. The image became complete with sound as the older male beckoned the younger snake into the office. The younger bowed, "My lord, you sent for me?"

* *It can't be?!**

"Yes Gotatsu, I did. It has come to my attention that the current lord of the Western Lands has followed in his father's footsteps and taken a liking to a human. I see the opportunity now to destroy that human loving disgrace of a youkai line and I need you to carry out the deed." The image of the older snake youkai said.

"I am yours to command my lord," replied the younger snake.

"Good. The lord and his human slut will be performing at Tokyo University's Autumn Festival; supposedly they will be using live steel. You will retrieve the Dakku-Dancer from storage. That you will take with you to the festival and when they perform you will unleash its magic. The Inukaze Lord will kill her with his own claws and your sister will finish him off for me."

"I understand my lord. By your leave I will go retrieve the music box from storage and begin keying it to the soon to be dead Lord Sesshoumaru." The older snake nodded and the younger bowed before leaving. The scene slowly faded.

* *I knew the Dakkunaga should not have been allowed to sign the treaty; I should have put an end to their wretched line while I had the chance.* *

Kagome released Inuyasha's and Kikyou's hands. She turned to the space occupied by the image a moment before. Slowly the older snake's image came into view again and slowly solidified. She walked up to him and softly padded around him. She looked very much like a predator circling her prey. As she walked around him, her features subtly shifted to the youkai traits from earlier that night. She stopped inches from his face and snarled, "I'm going to kill you for what you did to my beloved. When I finally find you your life ends!" She swung her claw through the image as her eyes glazed red. Rage burned along her veins and a feral growl died on her lips as Kagura gasped in pain.

Kagome whirled and caught a completely human looking Kagura as she fainted. "Kagura, what's wrong?" Kagome's rage vanished, replaced with concern. As the rage fled, so too did Kagome's youkai traits causing Kagura to regain her youkai traits.

* *What in the world is happening?* *

"Kagome-chan I'm okay. I didn't know your rage would call on the youkai power of my heart even in here and so I wasn't prepared. It caused an unexpected pain and weakness."

"I'm so sorry Kagura."

Kagura placed her fingers on Kagome's lips, "Don't apologize. This just shows that there may be more going on inside you than I thought would happen. We will figure it out together, but right now I need to rest." After saying that, Kagura placed her hand over Kagome's heart. She then seemed to fade into Kagome as her form became mist again.

Kagome wiped the tears from her eyes as Kikyou said, "Kagura is not really dead. Her heart and spirit have become a part of you. So long as you live, Kagura will live between the realms of dreams and magic. When you eventually die Kagura will finally die and probably go on to the heavens because of her selfless sacrifice for you."

Kagome closed her eyes and nodded, "I know she's not really dead. I can feel her inside me, not like I feel you Kikyou, but almost like I'm carrying a feather in my mind. There is this soft almost ticklish fuzziness in my brain and when I think her name I hear her voice. Yours is just another voice for my conscience and sub-conscious with the memories of your life to pull from."

Kikyou smirked slightly. "I feel like so much less.."

"Kikyou, I didn't mean.."

"I know Kagome-chan. I fully understand what you mean. After all I am not a separate consciousness from you. I am a part of your mind and soul, a part that is only somewhat separate because of a vile youkai who wanted to use my powers. I, we, have already rested in the heavens as your wish permitted; that wish allowed you to be born with a purified Shikon no Tama and a stronger spirit. That resting time allowed true happiness between Inuyasha and our spirits."

* Sesshoumaru noticed the blush on Inuyasha's cheeks as Kikyou spoke of the time in heaven. He also saw that neither girl seemed aware of the Hanyou's blush. *

"I still see you as separate, even though you don't feel that way." Kagome said as tears sparkled in her eyes. "Kagura will always be trapped in the void between realms until I die; how can I not feel horrible about that?"

"Kagura made her choice Kagome-chan," stated Inuyasha, "Just as I had made my choice before you took it away from me. You know I would have gone to hell as my obligation to Kikyou if you had not prevented that. But you can't save everyone! So stop crying, tears do not become the beautiful strong Kagome I fell in love with." He wiped away the tears and pulled her into a tight hug.

* *He loved her as much as I do. Perhaps he wasn't such a baka after all.* *

Kagome leaned against him and nodded. She drew strength from him as she wrapped her arms around his waist. Kikyou stepped up behind Kagome and wrapped her arms around them both. "You no longer need me as an outside aspect of yourself Kagome. Never forget the part of you that is me." Kagome couldn't stop her sob as Kikyou faded into her as Kagura had a short while before. Inuyasha's grip tightened around Kagome as he let a few tears fall into her hair.

"Kagome-love, you are greatly loved by someone who fears you may no longer love him. My brother has never been good with emotions. He was worse than me when it came to accepting his own feelings and reading the feelings of others. **Worse than you?! This Sesshoumaru does not think so, half-breed!** Don't let him do anything stupid, like let you go. If things could have been different I never would have let you go. **I would have stolen her from you.** But the past is the past and you need to let it go just as I have finally done. I still love you and Kikyou and I always will. Your soul will be a soul I love through all eternity, and you will love mine. We are interconnected, as the Kikyou part of you knows, and we will be together again in some future life. But in this life you have to make sure that nothing happens to make Sesshoumaru and you separate. You belong with him."

"Why are you saying all this?"

"Because the future is chaos right now and I don't want you to be adrift in it. **Do you mean the chaos the Dakkunaga bring? Or something else?** I want you to have all the strength I can give you and I want you to use all the strength I know you posses to create a bright future with my brother. Both of you have suffered more than enough in your lives and you both deserve happiness with each other."

* *I guess heaven has been good for you.* *

"You will be my pillar of strength through this trying time while I sleep and your brother will be my pillar when I'm awake?"

"I promise I will be here when ever you need me, and so will my brother. You are his heart Kagome and once he knows just how much you truly love him he will be that pillar you need to fight the coming chaos. And remember Tetsusaiga is yours, it answers to only you. I bequeathed it to you before I went to heaven and only another of your blood will be able to use it. It's a gift for your first born son when you finally decide to become a mother. Also Tetsusaiga was meant to defend the Lady of the Western Lands whether she wields it or someone else wields it to protect her. When you drew it from my father's wards you showed yourself worthy of the Western lands. The fact that both heirs of the land loved you is just a side note to that fact. The Western Lands' magic recognized you as what it needed and showed the Fang you were the one it was meant to protect." He looked deeply into her eyes. He then brushed his lips across her crescent moon mark. "Use the Tetsusaiga's power wisely in the coming war. I must go now my lady, my time here tonight is over."

* *You speak of war and magic. What is comingupon uslittle brother? What disaster waits around the corner?* *

"Be well Inuyasha. I'll see you again puppy-chan."

"Smile more," Inuyasha whispered as he faded from view. Kagome smiled, for him. Kagome sighed as looked around the familiar clearing.

* *We will meet the future together Kagome-chan.* *

"This is where it all began. This is where my life dramatically changed into something I could never have dreamed." She caressed the lip of the well with her delicate hand. She stepped up to it and looked down with sadness and memories dancing in her eyes. "So many times I passed through the temporal magic of the well to this place of magic, adventure, heart ache, and joy." She glanced up and gazed at the God tree. "How many times during those days did I simply yearn for the end? How often did I wish that Lady Centipede never dragged me into the past? Early on I would have given anything for it all to have been some horrible nightmare, but as time passed I came to cherish it. I came to love Sango, Shippo and Miroku as friends and family. I fell in love with Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. I came to love Rin as the little sister I never had. There is so much in my past that I will never regret beyond not being able to have it continue. I just never thought I would miss it to the point that I have not yet moved on."

* Sesshoumaru noticed that Kagome's lips had not moved during the entire monologue. He realized that once again he was privy to her innermost thoughts. *

"I'm glad I have a chance to be with some of the ones from my past, but now is the time to let the past go. It is time to move on. The shadows must be cleared away if I am to have real happiness in my life. This place here has always had a nostalgic comfort for me, but now I need to say good-bye. Miroku, Sango, Kikyou, Kaede, Inuyasha and Rin.. I miss all of you and I always will. Good-bye Inuyasha's Forest." As the thought faded the trees did as well, soon the forest and well were gone and the place became dark. The inky blackness surrounded Kagome, who was bathed in ethereal light. Small points glittered in the darkness.

* Sesshoumaru could feel the shifting of the gateway. Kagome was remaking her entrance to the Dreamtime. *

"I need somewhere I feel comfortable, somewhere in the present, somewhere that is not Inuyasha's Forest." Kagome closed her eyes and concentration fluttered over her features. Slowly the space lightened to reveal a large gymnasium like interior. One wall was completely mirrored while another wall contained racks of armor and weapons. There were practiced dummies and archery targets against the third wall while the forth wall had lockers, benches, and the exit door. Sunlight bathed the room in bright cheery light through the sky-light ceiling.

* Sesshoumaru blinked in surprise at her choice. *

Kagome opened her eyes and smiled, "Sesshoumaru's current Dojo, its perfect!" She looked around studying how well she managed the details until she noticed a shape begin to form from the mists gathering next to her. Kagura became solid beside her and smiled. "Kagura, shouldn't you still be resting?"

"No, I'm fine now. So this is your new entrance into the Dreamtime?"

"Yes I felt that it was time to finally let go of the past and look forward. I need to focus solely on my future, a future I have thanks to you."

"You mean your future with Sesshoumaru?"

"Who else!?"

"I just thought I would make sure you weren't having any doubts."

"Why would I have any doubts?"

"The festival was very trying on your soul."

"Sesshoumaru was not to blame! He had no control over what happened!"

"So you have no doubts?"

"You have access to my deepest thoughts now and you know I have absolutely no doubts. Sesshoumaru is my love, my life, and my everything! He completes my heart and the heart you gave to me. You damn well know that, so why ask stupid questions?"

"They may be stupid for me to ask, but I think Sesshoumaru needed to hear the conviction of your heart."

* *NO! What is she doing!* *

"Wh..what do you mean he needed to hear me?"

"Look there Kagome-chan." Kagura motioned to Sesshoumaru and he felt himself completely drawn into the Dreamtime. He ceased being an observer and became part of the play before him. He looked quite like a deer trapped by headlights because of his surprise. "I will now return to my rest. Remember Kagome-chan, this is your Dreamtime, he cannot leave until you let him. Ja ne!" Kagura winked as she vanished.

"Sesshoumaru, why are you here?"

*Shit what do I say.*

"Just tell me the truth and I'll have no reason to get angry."

"I forgot," he began, "That there are no thoughts in the Dreamtime. I was Dreamwalking you."

"What is Dreamwalking?"

"It is an ability that many stronger youkai have. It is the traveling of one's consciousness into the dreams of another. It is usually only practiced between family, mates, or very dear friends."

"Why were you Dreamwalking me?"

"I thought you were inviting me when you said you'd see me in your dreams."

"Maybe I was, I don't really know." She spoke as she walked toward him across the dojo floor. "So how long have you been watching?"

"Since you appeared next to the well, I saw you speak with Inuyasha and Kikyou." He strode toward her.

"You have heard everything I've said this night?"

"Hai, I have."

"Then you are not going to act like the baka Inuyasha expects you too, are you?" She looked up at him as she stopped a few feet away.

"I will have to disappoint Inuyasha," he replied before taking her into his arms and kissing her passionately. The kiss spoke volumes beyond the physical; it was an expression of their souls' deepest love for one another.

Kagome drew back and smiled, "I think it is time we both get real rest."

Sesshoumaru found himself outside the shield surrounding Kagome's mind. He then descended to his own body for some much needed real sleep.

Inuyasha looked at Kagura, "That could have gone very badly."

"It didn't though, did it?" Kagura sounded quite smug.

"It can still cause unforeseen problems, I mean the Dakkunaga clan is going cause a big enough problem without them having any internal strife."

"For someone waiting for his future mother to get pregnant so he can reincarnate, you sure are worrying too much."

"Feh," Inuyasha muttered, "I'll wait another century for Kagome, just so long as she and Sesshoumaru get some of their deserved happiness before I turn it upside down."

"Do you think I could get reincarnated as their daughter?"

"I don't know. Technically you're not dead yet, but your sacrifice has earned you a place in heaven. Maybe since you already reside within her body and soul THEY will allow you to reincarnate before Kagome's natural death. It can't hurt to ask."

"I think I will. Thank you Inuyasha."

"You know what Kagura?"

"What?"

"You're really not such an evil bitch anymore; I think you'd be a cool sister. Good luck." Inuyasha than vanished before Kagura could respond.

"Kagome was right; you really can be a jerk sometimes."