InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Didn't Know I Was Waiting For You ❯ Festival ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Okay here it is.. the long awaited festival chapter.

_______________________________

WARNING: Character Death!

-------------------------------

Disclaimer: If you think I own, you more delusional than I!

Chapter 15: Festival

The scent of different foods mingled with autumn decay as the festival got under way. It was the weekend just after Halloween and the trees were bare leaving a thick blanket of dead leaves under foot. Almost every club at the university had a booth at the Autumn Festival. This year's booths, rides, and vendors took up nearly twice the space as previous years. Part of the reason was because of the rumors concerning the joint display archery and kendo clubs were doing. It was being whispered that there would be live steel involved. Combine that with the fact that a small arena literally took up the furthest end of the fair grounds and you had a huge turn out of people this year. Students and families flocked the aisles of the fair sampling the richness of their heritage. The people crowded the grounds and stirred the night with laughter and conversation.

Kagome adjusted her miko outfit nervously and Sesshoumaru calmly embraced her from behind. He wrapped his arms about her waist and pulled her against himself as he whispered in her ear. "You look superb and you will be fantastic." He started nibbling below the delicate ear near his lips and gently ran his claw sensuously down her arm.

"Sesshoumaru, don't start something we don't have time to finish," she whispered hoarsely as her body shivered with delight.

He chuckled against her neck and turned her to face him. He captured her lips in a deep passionate kiss. The tender moment was broken as Kouga cleared his throat from the tent entrance. Both glared up at him, Kagome with a joking twinkle in her eyes, Sesshoumaru with a slight hint of murder in his eyes. Kouga smirked slightly, trying to ignore the look of death. He said, "You two should save your energy. You have five performances tonight."

Kagome had turned in Sesshoumaru's arms as Kouga spoke so that she was leaning against her beloved and facing the sometimes obnoxious wolf youkai. Sesshoumaru growled behind her, the sound promised death. Kagome concentrated her calming aura toward her mate and tilted her head so that the mating mark became visible. Sesshoumaru instinctively lowered his head to his mate. His lips lightly rested on the scar.

Kouga himself knew how irresistibly controlling the mating mark could be and was glad Kagome was employing its primal power. In the two short weeks since they mated, Kagome's power had increased exponentially. Her power was no longer priestess based, but it was already nearly sixteen times more powerful and still growing. Kagome and her friends had done quite a bit of research into her new powers and had discovered that she possessed a more primal power. Her magic was now the type that humanity could call on in ancient times, when a woman's power was truly great. They learned that her magic was such that after true womanhood was achieved she had access to the primordial power of the earth itself.

The primitive, ancient power now at Kagome's command was much greater in diversity than her miko powers had been. She had even learned, with Kagura's help during the research, that her new powers would make the rituals for the western lands nearly five times as potent as they would be if she was simply a miko. They also learned that her powers would double in strength when she had her first child and after that they would remain the same through out the rest of her life.

Kagome and Kagura became fast friends during the time they spent in research and practice. Kagura, being the most traveled youkai Kagome knew, was able to tell her about the different magic's that she had seen around the world. Kagura was very happy being friends with Kagome and during the short time they spent in one another's company Kagura smiled more than she had in her entire life previously. Kagura was at peace around Kagome, actually most people and youkai found themselves calmed around Kagome now.

Kagome seemed to glow now, no matter the lighting. Her power flowed through her aura in a calming gentle scent of magic. Her magic was like the earth at rest, relaxing and comforting. A simple touch could bring a person out of a fit of rage and her smile could make the clouds of despair vanish from a person's eyes. As she stood with Sesshoumaru's face in the crook of her neck she looked ethereal. She had a slight smile on her delicate rosebud lips and her angelic face lit with loving friendship as she shooed Kouga out of the tent. He nodded and left. Kagome then turned her head to kiss Sesshoumaru lightly and break his trance. He could have broken the trance without her leave but he didn't want to. He loved her scent, her taste, and her spirit.

He smiled down at his beloved mate and said, "We should get ready. The first performance starts in less than ten minutes." He honestly didn't want to move, but he knew this was her time to momentarily be in the spotlight. She nodded to him and leaned up to reclaim his lips in a love filled kiss. When the kiss ended she stepped away to secure her katana at her waist, swing her quiver to her shoulder, and then choose a simple wooden bow. Sesshoumaru wrapped his katana to his waist and simply watched to beauty that was his mate, his life, his soul, as she readied herself with quiet efficiency and confidence. He felt his love for her singing in his soul and couldn't take his eyes from her lithe form. She smiled and stepped nervously out of the tent. He followed.

Outside she was mobbed by Shippo, Souten, Ayame, Kouga, Rinoa, and Kagura. They all complimented and encouraged her. Her nervousness was replaced by beaming contentment. They knew exactly the encouragements to ease her heart. She hugged each in turn warmly and then took Souten's hand, "Souten now you do remember how to begin the scene, right?"

Souten smiled and nodded, "Don't worry Kagome-mamma. I remember and I'm real good at improvisation if I should need it." Kagome smiled in return and hugged her daughter tightly.

They stood beside the curtained part of the Plexiglas arena. Sesshoumaru was very happy that he had taken over the construction of the stage set up. Earlier that day when Kagome had gotten to look at it she had been very happy and impressed. Her joy was all the repayment he could ever have desired for putting the money for this temporary stadium. The Plexiglas was and inch thick and twelve feet high with clear seams between panels. On three of the four sides were bleachers for the audience and the fourth side had the prep tent and control booth.

The Plexiglas arena was a 25 by 30 meters rectangular area. Inside where large boulders, bamboo stalks and a painted blue creek. Everything was strategically placed to give the impression of a wide place from long ago. For those who remembered the time it had the feel of a field during the feudal era. There was a subtle sense of danger and anticipation in its simplicity. Souten joined Togashi in the control booth. Everyone else who had offered encouragement as well as Tomaru and Hirariko made their way to the bleachers to enjoy the performance.

The lights within the arena were turned off and Sesshoumaru and Kagome made their way silently to their designated boulders. Kagura had drawn a blue stone from the choosing bag and so this performance would have the miko win. Souten's cultured soft voice spoke over the speakers. "This is the story of the Shikon Miko and the Demon she vowed to slay. The great Inu-Youkai had terrorized many a village and the Shikon Mio had felt the time had come to end the darkness he brought to the land." The spot light illuminated Kagome who stood with her head bowed in apparent reverence her bow lightly held in her hand. "The Shikon maiden prays to the Kami and feels the youkai is near." The spot light created a bright pool around Sesshoumaru. He was standing with his face to the spotlight growling as a wolf would howl to the moon. "There the Inu-youkai stands, waiting for his huntress, waiting for the inevitable struggle between light and dark." The spotlights switched off as the flood lights came on, casting the stage into false daylight brightness.

The bleachers were full. Eyes watched the opening set up with anticipation and desire. One set of eyes narrowed with murderous intent. A hand caressed the side of a small music box until taloned fingers fund the key. The deadly digits slowly turned the ancient brass key to ready the dark power resting within its innocent exterior. Eyes stared at Sesshoumaru the great Inu-youkai Lord of the West and his little human slut and savored the image of him spilling her life blood.

Kagome knocked her arrow and the crowd gasped as she took aim at Sesshoumaru's exposed back. She pulled back and tapped her foot as she released. He spun, slicing the wooden shaft cleanly in half as he leapt gracefully to the ground. Mummers of appreciation spread through the crowd. She had another arrow ready as he leapt into the air toward her. She fired and he sliced it in half as he flipped in the air. She released another as he darted between the bamboo stalks. He knocked it away with his claw. Kagome tumbled away firing as she came to her feet. Again he cut it cleanly in two. Kagome heard a soft eerie music caress the night. She fired again and watched as Sesshoumaru caught it and snapped it in two. His eyes were clouding over red. She couldn't see the color change but she felt something cruel stirring in the dark. She felt something akin to a coiled snake preparing to strike, dangerous and deadly. As she raised the bow to fire again, he sprang at her shattering her bow with a blow from his katana.

Kagome was knocked back with the force from his attack and rolled painfully away. Fear touched her spirit; she'd seen his eyes. The melody which softly sliced the night seemed to become aggressive. She barely had time to draw her katana and block his attack as she scramble to a stand. His left hand was beginning to glow with vile green light. His poison was rising in his claws. Real fear gripped her as she tumbled to dodge away. Something was horribly wrong, something to do with the music.

Kagome's eyes scanned the crowd as she sought to escape Sesshoumaru. She saw him. He was plainly dressed in jeans and a sweater. His gold rimmed pine green eyes were slitted like a serpent and in his claws was a small open music box. Pain lanced through her side. She saw a vicious smile appear on his face as he snapped the box close while triumph danced in his hate filled eyes. Her eyes turned from the grotesque vision of evil. She turned her soft blue eyes to the face of her love, her death.

Sesshoumaru came back from the red haze. The scent of blood and his poison assaulted his sensitive nose. He looked to see Kagome's eyes glazing over as she looked at him. He felt her blood oozing around his deadly claw where it was thrust in her abdomen. Fear gripped his soul. He screamed her name hoarsely and scooped her to himself. He could already feel the warmth leaving her body. He ran to the tent behind the curtained section of the arena. He set her gently down and grabbed Tenseiga.

He was drawing his life giving blade across her cooling form as Kagura, Shippo and Ayame ran into the tent. Tenseiga did nothing. "No damn you! Heal her!" A second swipe and again nothing happened. Tears were now silently running down his face. He tossed the useless blade to the ground and fell to his knees beside her. "Kagome please don't die." His begging voice was nearly cracking with untold anguish. "Why won't this damn sword heal you!?"

Kagura answered him quietly, knowing in this moment he would have forgotten the incident with Jakken. "Because it is your poison killing her. The sword was never meant to bring your enemies back to life and interprets your poison as an indication that she is your enemy. Just like with Jakken centuries ago. You poison stops its magic."

"But she's my mate, my poison shouldn't harm her!"

"She is also human. If she were Youkai or a Hanyou than her body wouldn't be hurt by your poison while she was your mate. I'm sorry Sesshoumaru but there is no way to save her." Ayame's voice was heartrendingly sad as she said this.

Shippo choked on his sob as he took in everything that was said about him. "Mamma," he whispered in pain.

Sesshoumaru broke at that moment and keened his pain into her hair as pure grief wracked his body. He kneed there at the side on his beloved's slowly dieing body. Blood pooled under her and about his knees, staining her blue miko clothing and his white pants a deep unforgiving crimson. His body shook with pain as he whimpered and cried, begging in a small lost voice for her to live. The pain and grief in the tent were so thick you could cut the emotional atmosphere with a knife.

Kagura kneeled down on the side opposite Sesshoumaru, next to the dieing miko who was her dear friend. Her heart cried out to both of them. She wanted to ease the grief of the man she loved. She wanted her friend to live. She looked down into the pale glassy unseeing eyes of the nearly dead miko. This frail human woman with the heart of a goddess had given Kagura a chance to live a true free life for over four hundred years. This achingly sweet woman was her truest friend, even beyond what Sesshoumaru had become for her. She was the one who brought joy and light into the life of the only male to ever capture Kagura's cold youkai heart. Someone she loved was now dieing and with her death killing the only other person she loved.

Kagura could feel the answer to this heartrending sight deep in her soul. The truth pulsated in her. She bent down to Kagome's ear. Her right hand covered her heart as she brought her body close to Kagome's. She breathed in Kagome's calming scent of lavender, sandalwood and magic now marred with poison and encroaching death. She took strength from the faltering aura. She knew what she had to do. She reached inside her very soul.

Kagura whispered into Kagome's ear as tears silently fell from ruby eyes that barely knew how to cry. Her voice pleaded quietly to the dieing girl, "Kagome-chan, make Sesshoumaru happy as I never could. Live for him and for me." Her eyes closed slightly as pain ebbed in her. She now cupped something softly pink and warm in her hand. She smiled in pain, love, and hope. She gently pressed the glowing pink light to Kagome's chest. "Live for those who love you."

Souten, Kouga and Rinoa had joined the occupants of the tent as Kagura leaned over Kagome. They watched as pink light was transferred from one to the other. Soft pink light slowly spread over both female forms causing a silver haired head to pop out of its raven nest in shock. The light enveloped them and increased to such intensity that the observers were forced to look away. Wind whipped around them yet disturbed nothing in the tent.

Kagome felt the darkness closing about her. *Inuyasha, Kikyou I'm coming to join you. Sesshoumaru, I'm sorry. I'll miss you my love.* She floated in a realm between pain and bliss. She thought she heard sobbing. The voice was filled with grief, guilt, and anger. *Don't be angry Sesshoumaru. I'm free now; forgive me.* Then she heard another voice. It was entreating her to do something. She didn't know what it asked or wanted. She apologized to that sad caring voice that asked so little, yet so much. Kagome closed her eyes, death would be here soon.

Pink light banished the surrounding darkness. The light was just like when the Shikon no Tama had sent her home. Kagome opened her eyes, half expecting to see Midoriko there to guide her into the other worlds. Instead she saw Kagura standing before her. The proud beautiful strong wind demoness stood before her with her head humbly bowed over something in her hands. The pink light was brighter and more diffuse that the light in Kagura's hands, but they were akin to each other. Her face played with sadness as she looked at the object within her tender grip. She looked up at Kagome and smiled with quiet resolution.

Kagura slowly paced over to Kagome in a steady gait. Her blood red eyes were sad, hopeful, and love filled as she stopped in front of Kagome. Her voice came quiet, as a soft echo of friendship and pain quivered in her tone. "Kagome, do you know what this is?" Kagura took Kagome's hand and placed the pink sphere within it, then covered Kagome's hand with her own. Kagome's eyes widened; she didn't want it to be what she feared it was, knew it was. "This is my heart," Kagura continued, "You restored it to me four hundred years ago. You gave me a chance to be free, to make friends, to fall in love. You are the reason for every good event that has happened in my long life, even if only because of your influence on others."

"Kagura," Kagome whispered while her eyes filled with shock and sadness, she knew in her heart of hearts what was happening and didn't want it. She didn't want another death on her head. "Please don't."

"Please, Kagome-chan, I have lived my life. I have done and seen everything I could want. I have been alive and free. I owe that life and freedom to you. I know what I offer and I offer it freely. I give my heart, my demon power to you so that you may live. With this inside you the mating link will cleanse Sesshoumaru's poison. Please Kagome, I cannot stand bye to watch my friend die and then watch as the man I love dies inside because you are gone."

"You love him enough to die for his happiness?" Kagome's question was barely above a whisper, but in the silent void of pink light, it was as loud as an explosion.

"I love you both enough to give my life for you. I want you to live for him. I want you to be for him everything I dreamed and craved to be for the last century. I can not be his beloved, I never could, but you are and you can be his everything. Please except what I offer, take it as freely as it is given and no evil will come of this gift."

"I don't want another death on my head. I've caused enough death and darkness."

"You are not to blame for the deaths the shattered Shikon caused. Those deaths belong to Naraku and the other youkai who used the Shikon shards, not to you. You brought only love and light into a depressingly dark world. You have no deaths on your head, nor will my death be your responsibility. I choose my end, in my way with a dignity I didn't know I had until you freed me. Let my death be chosen freely, with dignity and my life be given in love. Can you do that for me?"

Kagome let her tears fall slowly, knowing it was too late to stop this gift. Accept or refuse, it did not matter Kagura had already chosen to die. Kagome knew the only way not to go to her own death wracked with guilt over Kagura's passing was to accept. "I will never forget what you have done for me, nor the friendship you gave me. I promise you, I will not let your death be in vain. I will love Sesshoumaru for both of us until the end of my days and I will never let your memory fade or be forgotten."

"Then you accept your life freely and without guilt?"
"I accept your gift without regret, simply with the knowledge that I will miss you."

Kagura moved the hands holding her heart to Kagome's chest. Both sets of fingers uncurled around the small warm pink orb and held the heart against Kagome's breast. Kagura smiled through her tears and Kagome reached out to pull Kagura into a gentle embrace. A soft kiss between the two sealed the magic and light flowed over Kagome's still, silent form. Kagome clung fiercely to Kagura, but felt her become insubstantial in her arms. Kagome sobbed as Kagura faded forever from her arms.

The pink light faded as Kagome opened her eyes to look upon the grief stricken, tear streaked face of her silver haired angel of death. He was to lord of her heart and soul, both hearts. His flowing snowy cascade was stained with dark unforgiving crimson. His vibrant amber-gold suns clouded with emotion. His expression was one of shock and fear. He stared deeply into her violet blue eyes, uncertain if his vision was telling him true. "Kagome?" his voice was soft, uncertain, and filled with wonder.

The other observers were able to see again when the light had faded. The first thing they noticed was that Kagura was gone. The second thing they noticed, as Sesshoumaru whispered her name, was a completely healed Kagome. The Kagome before them was changed. Her hair had become a dark midnight blue with soft violet highlights. Her ears had become pointed and elfish in appearance. Her hands now had delicate claws. All in all Kagome looked and smelled like a youkai, a wind youkai to be specific. The assembled humans and youkai looked on in stunned silence.

Kagome stared deeply into the burning infernos that captured her entire being with their passion and smiled. She reached her hand toward him. He took her small claw gently in his own and leaned over her. He nuzzled her cheek, inhaling her changed yet still intoxicating scent. "Kagome, I'm sorry," he whispered against her ear, "I don't know what happened." She could feel the moisture of renewed tears as they fell softly against her skin. She understood his grief. He thought he had lost her again, this time with himself as her murderer.

Kagome felt intense rage growling inside her. It stirred like a coiled snake, preparing its poison for the perfect strike. Someone would die tonight. "I do," she said darkly. Her voice was thick with fury and hate. Sesshoumaru lifted his head to look into her violet eyes and noticed the blood red slowly seep into them. "There was a snake youkai in the audience who used a music box to control you. He intended for you to kill me. I'll never forget his face or the smile on his lips when you struck me. His smile made Naraku's smirks seem pleasant." She paused as the red bled away from her eyes. "I'm only alive now because Kagura gave me her heart and her life." She suddenly burst into tears and hugged Sesshoumaru. She buried her head in his shoulder and let the fresh pain rush through her small form.

Sesshoumaru held her close. He had almost lost her and he had lost his dear friend. He would never forget Kagura's sacrifice. He buried his face in her hair to hide his tears, of relief and joy. He was overcome enough that he barely noticed Togashi trying to enter the tent. "Is she ok? What happened?" Togashi asked from just outside the tent flap.

Kagome called to him from her place within Sesshoumaru's arms, "Sesshoumaru's fake claws cut me a bit. I'm fine. Souten tell the audience that the demon lord realized he loved the Shikon miko as he wounded her fatally. He took her to be healed and they lived happily ever after." Souten nodded and went outside, dragging Togashi with her. Kagome's quick thinking did much to reassure her friends.

She lifted her head from her beloved's shoulder and looked at her friends. She took note of the looks on their faces and wondered why they all looked so intent. It seemed as though they weren't sure what they were seeing. *Why the strange looks?* Kagome wondered. /Because, you momentarily have youkai traits. Don't worry, once my blood is done fully healing you, the demon traits will fade in a few moments./ Kagome glanced down at her small claws which held tightly to Sesshoumaru. She delicately flexed them and stared in astonishment. They reminded her of Inuyasha's claws, only smaller.

*Am I a Hanyou now?* Kagome asked Kagura's voice which seemed to radiate from within her very soul. /No, you are neither Hanyou nor youkai. You are still very much human, but youkai blood will flow in your veins when it needs to. You are already a very strong and powerful human; I believe the blood will augment that more, but it has not changed who or what you are./ Kagome mused over the words for a moment before fire lanced her body. She tightly gripped Sesshoumaru as the pain burned through her blood from her extremities in. She could feel the power, like black lightning, flowing rapidly into the second pulse beside her own.

Sesshoumaru felt Kagome's small claws dig into his back. He could almost feel her pain as she shuddered in his arms. He held her tightly and watched in wonder as her youkai traits and scent vanished. Briefly during the transformation, Sesshoumaru could hear a second heartbeat beside Kagome's. He could feel the youkai chi retreating into Kagome's center. Then her body stilled and Sesshoumaru could only feel one heartbeat against his chest. Softly, as a remembered echo, he could still sense a second pulse in time with hers. "Kagome, are you alright?" he asked quietly.

"I'm fine. The demon blood has left my veins and returned to Kagura's heart." She spoke quietly in response. *What does this mean happens now?* /You live your life Kagome-chan. You live a long life, with the life span of a youkai and the frailness of humanity. You are near to immortal, much as a youkai is, but you are still much easier to kill than a youkai or Hanyou would be./ *Will the blood change me more over time? What about children?* /We will discover all the answers together Kagome, but I can tell you this, children will be Hanyou. Also, you have not lost any of your human nature or compassion, nor have you lost your human heart. You simply gained a youkai heart./ *Thank you Kagura-chan. I will never let your sacrifice be in vain.*

She brushed away tears and smiled at Sesshoumaru. "We have a second performance to prepare for and a snake youkai to kill." The expressions of those gathered quickly shifted to nods and general agreement. The assembled friends decided to leave the tent at that moment, feeling the tow needed time alone after the emotional shake up they just had. They stay just outside the tent and stood guard, discussing quietly what they could do to help Kagome and Sesshoumaru with the snake demon.

Once alone Sesshoumaru spoke quietly, "Kagome, my love, I almost killed you. How can you ever forgive me when I doubt I'll ever forgive myself?"

She placed gentle fingers on his lips and said, "Sesshou-chan, I love you. I know that what attacked me was not you. You had no control over what happened; your actions were not under any direction from you. I forgave you even before you struck me." She let her other hand brush against the tears, wiping them from his face.

Emotion choked his throat and clouded his eyes, "But even under the most violent circumstance, a youkai does not harm his mate. It is instinctual to protect his mate."

"Then there must be a reason why you were still able to attack past that instinct. Something must have allowed the violent control to override youkai nature. We have twenty five minutes to figure it out before our next performance.

He shook his head with a mirthless smile, "I don't know if we can. In battle whenever a male or female youkai loose themselves to the demon blood, the one who is still in control simply bares the mating mark in a submissive posture and the raging youkai stops. The power of the mating bond and instinct stops all violent against the submissive mate."

"Could it be because I was fighting you? Could my not being submissive have allowed the violence to continue?" He cautiously nodded. "Then all I should need to do is submit to get you to stop."

He hated to say it, but he had to, "What if that doesn't work?"

"Then I'll use a purifying touch on you to knock you out, but I'd rather not need to. How does a youkai mate submit?" She smirked at him, bringing a look other than desolation into his eyes.

"You stand still, lower your head, and turn it so that the mark is visible. Your entire demeanor needs to convey submission to the `dominant' mate."

She nodded. Then she stood up, bowed her head and turned so her mating mark was visible. "Is this correct?"

Sesshoumaru stepped to her and nuzzled the mark. "Yes," he whispered hoarsely. He gently kissed her mark and lightly nibbled his way up her throat. He captured her lips in a soft passionate kiss. Kagome could still taste his tears on his lips and she put all of her love into her response. She wanted him to know she loved him and would never blame him for his earlier actions.

As the kiss ended she pulled back to look into his amber suns. She smiled, "Lets get cleaned up and put a plan together to corner and de-fang our unwanted snake." He nodded. They both cleaned away all traces of blood, tears, and grief. Then they changed into clean costumes and bagged the bloodied garments. Sesshoumaru held her once they were changed for a few moments of silence before they went outside to talk to their friends.

Kouga, Ayame, Souten, Shippo, Hojo, Rinoa, Tomaru, and Tahoshi had been discussing how to catch the snake and when Sesshoumaru and Kagome came out of the tent began running ideas by them. Everyone gave Kagome a hug before the discussion was over. They agreed to have Hojo guard Rinoa and sit with Souten in the announcer's booth. That would leave Tahoshi and the demons free to fan out into the crowd and be ready to spring on the snake once Kagome revealed him. During the last five minutes before the performance Kagome and Sesshoumaru both meditated. They grounded and centered their minds in preparation for battle with their enemy.

Souten again began the feudal tale of the Shikon Miko who hunted the great Inu-youkai lord. While she set the stage Kagome and Sesshoumaru extended their senses throughout the crowd. As the flood lights came up Kagome brought her bow up, taking aim at Sesshoumaru's exposed back. Her eyes scanned the crowd. She fired as her foot softly tapped the cue.

Sesshoumaru sliced through her arrow as he whirled around. Both leapt from their boulders and Kagome fired again. Soft deadly music tickled her ears. Sesshoumaru fought the sound as he cut through the bolt. Kagome moved to the bamboo stalks. She fired again and noticed Sesshoumaru's aura change. She saw a slight glint of green and gold behind Sesshoumaru.

She glanced toward the glint and saw the snake smile. She moved to hide behind a boulder. Sesshoumaru growled in fury which sent shivers of pure fear down many a spine within the audience. He threw his sword down and sniffed the air. While he sniffed Kagome moved into the open and fired. The crowd gasped. The arrow flew over Sesshoumaru's head, over the Plexiglas wall, and exploded in the lap of her enemy.

The music box in the snake Youkai's hands was incinerated by her purifying magic. The youkai dropped the ashes and began to laugh. Sesshoumaru darted across the yard, poison pooling in his claws. Kouga grabbed the snake youkai in a vice grip as Sesshoumaru was about to strike Kagome. Kagome dodged and wrapped her Sesshoumaru with her bow and magic, momentarily freezing him.

Kouga leapt the Plexiglas wall with his prisoner. The snake Youkai struggled, but as he and Kouga landed, he laughed. "Miko, do you really think destroying the box will help? He won't stop until you are dead now and your magic will not hold him much longer." His laughter was vile.

Sesshoumaru began to fully break free of his bonds. Kagome simply dropped her bow and quiver while turning toward him. The snake cackled, "Yes! Die Miko bitch; let your demon master bath in your blood!" Kouga tightened his hold and growled a quiet threat in the snake Youkai's ear. Sesshoumaru roared as he charged at Kagome. She simply stood bowed her head and bared her mating mark, while sending a silent prayer to heaven that this would work. The snake couldn't see the mark and continued to cackle evilly; sure he would soon watch her blood flow in rivers upon the grass.

Sesshoumaru stopped; his claw was inches from her throat. He leaned close and sniffed her. Then a soft growl escaped his throat as he laid his head on her shoulder. He gently nipped and licked the mark. Kagome reached her hand to his face and lovingly caressed his cheek. He lifted his head and stood stock still by her side, waiting instinctually for her fear to subside. She turned toward Kouga and his prisoner. She kept her mark visible at all times and felt Sesshoumaru behind her. He placed his lips again at the mark and univocally growled, trying to sooth his mate.

"Impossible! No Miko would ever allow a demon to mark her as his mate!" cried the snake.

"I am his mate," she said as she lifted her bangs from her forehead to reveal her crescent mark, "and his blood claims me as his lady. Controlling a powerful lord while he and his mate train is an offense punishable by death in the Youkai courts. But I think purifying you back into the void is more appropriate for causing a fellow youkai to attack and nearly kill his mate."

"It won't matter. My lord will destroy you yet and besides your beloved dog will be mindless for the rest of his miserable life. Only the music box you destroyed could have restored his mind. Your precious Inu lord is nothing more than demonic instinct now and forever."

"Bastard," Kouga snarled, "I'll rip your heart out!"

"No, his death belongs to my lord and I. But first to restore me beloved's mind." She reached into her shirt and drew out the Shikon no Tama. The snake youkai struggled against Kouga. "Do you know what this little jewel is, snake? This is a powerful artifact that will aid my own power as I purify the darkness your music box placed in his mind."

Kagome released the Tama and it fell against her breast. The crowd was completely silent and entranced with the story. She turned to Sesshoumaru and cupped his face in her hands. She stared deeply into blood red eyes, truly empty of emotion, and smiled softly. Kagome grounded and found her center. She briefly closed her eyes to draw on the small trickle of power still within the Tama. She then sent her mind probing down along her ground to tap the power of the earth itself. Energy flowed through her and gathered for her command.

Eyes opened again to look longingly into eyes that should never be bloodied. Her whisper carried across the silent crowd, "Come back to me Sesshoumaru, son of Inutasho, half brother of Inuyasha, mate of Kagome, father of Rin. Remember yourself, restore your life. Be free of this vile shadow!" She leaned in and kissed him, releasing her power as she did so. She held him, his lips non-responsive for nearly thirty seconds. "Please," she whimpered against his soft pliant lips and increased her passion. Slowly his arms wrapped around her trembling form and the red bled away from his eyes. He returned the kiss with his entire being, not caring that he had a vast audience witness his love. The crowd took this embrace as a powerfully good sign within the story and cheered.

The kiss ended and Kagome's eyes shined with unshed tears. "Thank you for freeing my mind Kagome-chan." Sesshoumaru's voice did not carry because of the cheering. He pulled himself up to his full impressive height and glared at the snake youkai. The captive was now frozen with fear in Kouga's hands. "I think my mate had the right idea about purifying your spirit back into the oblivion from which it spawned."

The snake youkai suddenly remembered who he was dealing with and a certain youkai law. "I demand the Right of Challenge as accused prisoner of the Western Lord. It is my right and as an honorable lord you can not refuse me." He sounded disgustingly triumphant.

"If I kill you right know he won't have to," snarled Kouga.

"What is the Right of Challenge?" asked Kagome.

"It is a prisoner's right to fight his accuser to the death to prove his innocence. Because only you saw the box in his hands and destroyed it before anyone else saw it, you are his only accuser." Sesshoumaru did not sound pleased.

"So I have to fight him to the death to prove his guilt?"

"No, you only have to defeat him to prove his guilt, but he would have to kill you to prove his innocence."

Kouga simply growled, knowing Sesshoumaru would not dishonor his family name with a refusal. Kagome nodded, she too knew Sesshoumaru's honorable nature. "Then we'll just have to give the snake a sword and let him try to prove his innocence!" The crowd began to clap. Kouga shoved the snake to the ground and snarled with barley suppressed rage.

Kagome surprised everyone as she threw her sword to the youkai on the ground. She was already wrapping tendrils of magic about his form, this would be a fair fight, no youkai speed allowed. She did not however stifle his strength, stamina, or skill. He smiled evilly until he noticed the blade she drew from seemingly no where. A fully transformed Tetsusaiga was now pointed at him. The snake youkai saw his death in Kagome's eyes and felt his blood flowing on the Fang.

Sesshoumaru stepped away from the two combatants and Kouga joined him. The snake youkai stood and held his blade before him. Kagome smirked as she saw fear in his gold rimmed emerald eyes. "Say hello to Naraku for me when you reach hell." Kagome spoke quietly as she swung a perfectly arched attack.

The youkai barley managed to dodge her decapitating swing. His dodge brought him strategically up behind her. Kagome spun with the Fang and twirled to face her enemy. He was already committed to going for what had a split second before been her exposed back. His blade shuddered against the Fang as she blocked. He pulled back to strike again but she pressed an attack as he moved, forcing him into a defense which he managed by a hair. He was off balance by her precision and skill. He decided to use his youkai speed and found he couldn't.

The snake hissed as he struck at her during a split second pause within her attack. The swords clanged together. A pulse of power sparked between them. Another loud rush of thunder preceded the blades' eruption in bluish light. The light grew in intensity until it blinded the on lookers and the audience was forced to turn away. A very small, controlled release of the Kaze no Kizu obliterated the snake youkai. Because of its wielder the Tetsusaiga's power did not flow past the snake into the audience nor did it destroy the ground around him. Kagome's earth magic flowed with the Kaze no Kizu attack and purified the darkness of the youkai spirit as he was disintegrated. The light faded and the crowd erupted in cheers and applause, no one fully realizing the magic they just witnessed.

Kagome turned to Sesshoumaru and Kouga, "My mate and my friend, I hope I have not broken any rules around the Right of Challenge."

"No you did not, if the accused is killed or in this case purified by his accuser, than he is proven guilty. That is the law." Sesshoumaru's smooth voice was flat, but a small imperceptible timber indicated he was satisfied.

"Well then my lord, shall we call this practice to an end and retire to our chambers?" Kagome asked. Sesshoumaru nodded.

Souten's voice came across the speakers, "And so another threat to the Shikon Miko and her Inu Youkai beloved was over. The two had many trials yet to face, but those are other stories, for other times." The lights went out. The crowd continued to clap and cheer. A spotlight alit on Sesshoumaru, Kagome, Kouga, and Shippo, disguised as the snake youkai. The four bowed and then headed out of the arena.

In the crowd a silent figure glared with cold silver eyes. She stood and made her way off the bleachers. Her brother had failed and paid with his life. She would not be so foolish now that she knew the miko was Sesshoumaru's mate and seemed to control the famous Tetsusaiga. Soon the Inukaze clan would no longer rule the western lands and the Dakkunaga clan would again control their ancestral lands. The time for peace was past, now death would again come to the Western lands and as daughter of poison she would herald its coming.

Kagome spoke with the others and told them that she felt the next three performances would have to be stories as well otherwise the audience would feel cheated. They all put their heads together and came up with three additional stories. The first one required Ayame's help. Kagome would `win' the fight and as she seemed to prepare for the death strike Ayame would plead for the life of her `mate'; Kagome would grant her plea. The second story would require Kouga's help. Kagome would be knocked back and unarmed; Kouga would come to her rescue. However, Kouga would `lose' and as Sesshoumaru prepared the `killing' blow, Kagome would plead for his life. The last performance required Shippo's help and he had to illusion himself to look like a cub. The story would state that the Shikon miko heard about the Inu lord's cruelty to a kitsune pup and while she was about to kill the Inu-youkai the kit would ask why she was hurting his dad. She would then reverse her feelings for the Inu-lord and stay with him to raise the kit. All three stories went off without a hitch and were a complete success.

___________________________________________________________----- -------- ----------------------------------------------_____________________________ ______________________________--------------------------------------------- --------------

Thank you to every one who reviewed here and on mediaminer.

I apologize for the length between posts but as I've said I hate typing and add to that my computer deleting about two hours worth of work and it's all a mess.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Thank you for your patience.