InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Do ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Eleven

When Kagome woke up, Kei was gone - and somewhere within she felt the tendrils of distress wrap around her. Another week-long business trip (if not extended) would only mean another week-long chance for Kei to cheat on her, to replace her at his side. Kagome sat up, rubbed her eyes, and then climbed to her feet. Pushing the thought of Kei with another woman from her mind, she yawned.

It was Monday, meaning she had classes in the afternoon and - Kagome remembered, as she came to the end of the hall - a hanyou currently sleeping in her living room. He was still fast asleep, or at least very talented at acting as though he was. Kagome paused, thoughtfully looking at Inu-yasha curled up on her couch, the blanket tight around him.

Kagome wondered to herself just how she would manage college classes and a half-demon as she wandered over to the bathroom, and began her morning routine. After she had started the shower, and had shed her clothes, she heard a loud thud, followed by a few very choice words on Inu-yasha’s part. Laughing to herself, she pulled on her robe, and walked into the living room to find the hanyou face-down on the carpet.

“Alive?” She asked, and he raised his head with a rather grumpy expression on his face. He considered replying, but decided a simple groan would suffice. Kagome laughed again. “I have classes today, you know.” She said, after he had pulled himself off the floor and flopped back on the couch. He looked at her, half-annoyed, half-curious. She sighed.

“I’m in college now, Inu-yasha.” Kagome said, wondering if the term “college” meant much of anything to him. “Higher education, you know?” Inu-yasha blinked, doing very well to hide the confusion that had erupted at the terms “college” and “higher education”. He gazed at her for a moment, obviously thinking. “So, you passed all those tests you were always complaining about?” He asked, finally. Kagome nodded, then smiled. “And, with some help from Mom and Gramps, got into a University.”

Inu-yasha blinked again. “And what‘s that?” He replied, swallowing his pride for a moment.

“Well, it’s more advanced than the stuff I was learning about before, “ She began, explaining it simply enough for him to understand. When she finished, Inu-yasha continued to gaze at her. Kagome was suddenly very unnerved. When had Inu-yasha grown so quiet? Usually he had something to say about everything.

“So. Are you going to stay here all day?” She managed to ask, breaking the silence, and fidgeting a bit under his stare. He scowled. “No, stupid, I’m going to go with you.” He said, as though it were the most obvious thing. Kagome scowled right back at him. “And who says you’re allowed to?” She retorted, hands on her hips. Inu-yasha rolled his eyes. “Who says I need permission to go wherever I damn well please?” He shot back.

Kagome sighed again, deciding to avoid the argument this conversation was obviously heading for. She turned, heading back to the bathroom. “Either way, I’ve got to take a shower.” She called, standing in the doorway. Inu-yasha didn’t answer, and Kagome shrugged, closing and locking the door before removing her robe. Not that Inu-yasha had ever showed a tendency to be perverted - but, just in case. After all, he’d been a lot more bold in the single day that he had spent with her than he had been in all the years prior.

Lathering her hair in the flowery-scented shampoo, Kagome lost herself in thought. What was she to do? It was obvious Inu-yasha wasn’t going to stay here without a fight, and it might just be in her best interest to drag him along, considering the damage he could do if left alone. Kagome could just see him sticking a clawed finger into a plug curiously. Kagome entertained herself for a few moments with images of Inu-yasha’s hair cackling with electricity.

She washed out the remaining shampoo, and moved to conditioner. What would she tell her professors? It wasn’t as if Inu-yasha had any records to transfer over. Kagome doubted the idea of records had even occurred to ninety percent of people back in the era Inu-yasha came from. ‘I guess I’ll just have to make something up.’ She thought, letting the hot water gently beat into her back, and wash away whatever soap was left.

After she had dried herself off and got dressed, she pulled her still damp hair into a ponytail and went into the kitchen to make a cup of coffee. Fortunately, her first class wasn’t until the afternoon - meaning she had plenty of time to convince Inu-yasha to stay home - and away from any plugs.

xxxx

“I don’t know what you expect me to do!” Kagome muttered angrily out the corner of her mouth. Inu-yasha crossed his arms, and sat back in the desk-like seat. Lucky for Kagome, the two classes she had today were neither long, nor being taught by picky, overly-thoughtful people. All Kagome had done was mentioned that Inu-yasha was a new student, who’s information was still in the middle of being transferred. At so large a University, it wasn’t a hard to believe story.

“Well, when does this get over?” He hissed back, leaning towards her. Kagome gave him a scalding look, and he crossed his arms, sitting back in a huff. The professor droned on about the amygdalae as Inu-yasha silently doodled squiggly lines on the corner of Kagome’s notebook. Kagome, who happened to be taking notes, found it difficult to concentrate with Inu-yasha’s face so near to hers. Before she could stop herself, she was thinking back to the car ride they had taken yesterday. She stopped writing mid-sentence, to gaze at the top of Inu-yasha’s head.

She was suddenly tempted to plant a kiss right in the center of his part, but she stopped herself. She was in the middle of class! She needed to focus - not get distracted by her frustrating lack of a sexual life. She felt her face grow hot at this thought. Hiding her face slightly, her thoughts grew miserable. It wasn’t as if Kei wouldn’t happily give her what she was lacking, more like Kagome was positive she wasn’t the only woman who would be receiving it from him. She sighed inwardly, putting her head on the desk, and turning her face from Inu-yasha.

He looked up at the slight thud he had heard when her head had made contact with the desk, and nearly asked her loudly if she was okay. He stopped himself, watching her for a moment. Kagome could feel his eyes on her neck and the rush of color in her cheeks deepened. ‘Will you quit staring at me like that?’ she thought furiously. She felt she would rather deal with his loud mouth and constant need to bicker with her, than the intense gaze he had been giving her ever since he had showed up at her door. Kagome stared ahead of her, eyes unfocused. He gazed at her almost as if - as if he was really seeing her for the first time. As if he could hardly believe she was there in front of him. Swallowing hard, and praying her face was back to it’s normal coloring, Kagome turned her head to face in the other direction, so that it came to rest uncomfortably on her awkwardly positioned arm.

Inu-yasha was still watching her, and nearly jumped when she turned towards him. She smiled, and he was taken aback. Just what was going through her head? “You’re crazy.” He informed her, shaking his head slightly. Kagome made a strange face at him, and sat up. The lecture had obviously ended, as the professor was now packing up his things and making to leave.

“Come on, let’s get out of here.” Kagome said, shoving her notebook unceremoniously into her bag. Inu-yasha stretched his arms up above and behind his head, and yawned widely. Kagome chucked a pencil at him. “Stop that!” She snapped, and Inu-yasha looked around curiously, forgetting the two long, pointed fangs that he had just exposed to the world. That, and, he had attracted the attention of two very nice-looking girls - who were both whispering, eyes locked on him.

Kagome smiled as they approached her. “Hey Yuki, hey Imari.” The girls smiled back. “Who’s your new friend, Kagome?” Imari asked in a sugary voice, sweeping her bangs out of her bright, blue eyes. Kagome continued to smile, but her insides boiled. “Inu-yasha, this Imari and her cousin, Yuki.” Inu-yasha looked from Kagome, to Imari, and smiled slightly. “Hi.” He said gruffly, simply staring at the hand Imari had extended. When it was obvious Inu-yasha wasn’t going to shake it, she dropped it back to her side, looking slightly put-out.

“So we noticed those fangs you have.” Yuki said, bluntly. She was nowhere near as attractive as Imari, and wore enough make-up to make one wonder what exactly she was hiding under those layers of concealer. Inu-yasha looked slightly anxiously at Kagome, as though expecting her to have the answer.

“Oh, they’re all the rage in London, I hear.” Imari provided, as Kagome’s mouth opened and closed soundlessly, “But the dental work - it’s so expensive, isn‘t it?” Imari looked at Inu-yasha in an appraising way, as though expecting him to whip out his bank book and prove her obvious assumptions that he was rich beyond her wildest dreams. Imari smiled innocently at Inu-yasha, who smiled back, almost dazedly.

Kagome felt the jealousy rise up and take hold of her as she glanced between the two. She grabbed Inu-yasha’s hand and half-smiled in spite of the frustration and anger bubbling in the pit of her stomach. “Well, Inu-yasha and I have got some shopping to do.” She said, a little too forcefully, and adjusted her bag on her shoulder with her free hand. “Bye Imari, Yuki.” With that, Kagome walked off, pulling a fairly bemused Inu-yasha after her.

“What was that about?” Inu-yasha asked her, as she backed out and took off, tires squealing. Kagome snorted. “Are you stupid or something?!” She asked in return, glaring at him, “Just because you’re too dense to notice when someone thinks you’re attractive doesn’t mean everyone else is.” Inu-yasha almost laughed. “Are you talking about Imari?” He smiled. She felt the color drain from her face.

Kagome pulled out of the parking lot, and slammed to a stop as she came to a red light. “No, Inu-yasha, I was talking about the professor.” She retorted sarcastically. Inu-yasha gaped at her, confused by how violent her temper was becoming.

“So what, Imari smiled at me - it don’t mean a damn thing.” He spat, frustrated. Kagome ignored him, “I don’t know why you’re being such a pain in the ass.” Inu-yasha added a few moments later. Kagome shot a glare in his direction. “I’m not the pain in the ass here!” She said, and Inu-yasha expression went from angry to something entirely different. Kagome didn‘t notice. “So I’m a pain in the ass?” He asked, softly. Kagome opened her mouth to respond, but closed it immediately, finally noticing the pained look the hanyou was now wearing.

“Inu-yasha, I - “ Kagome began, but he turned from her, and began to stare out the window. “Just take me back to the apartment.” He said, in the same soft tones. The light turned green. Kagome bit her lip, and nodded.

xxxx

Ree: I’m back! Finally! I’m recovering wonderfully, and I’d like to thank you all for the support and immense patience you’ve given me. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate it. If I had my way, this chapter would’ve been much, much longer. But I figured I needed a bit of cliffhanger here, just for effect. The next chapter will be up as soon as possible! Thanks so much everyone!