InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Do ❯ Chapter 12 ( Chapter 13 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Twelve


Kagome watched as Inu-yasha climbed from the car. Her eyes followed him as he opened the door and entered the apartment building without so much as a backwards glance. She could see him as he ascended the stairs - and then he was out of sight.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid.” She groaned miserably, letting her head fall forward and hit the steering wheel none too gently. “Why don’t I ever think before I open my big mouth?”

Kagome remained in that position for quite some time, letting the late afternoon settle in around her. The rubber of the steering wheel felt oddly cool against her forehead. Numbly, almost detachedly, she realized Inu-yasha was probably wondering where she was. ‘If he isn’t already down the well…’ A lump formed and settled in her throat, and she found it suddenly hard to swallow.

He had been gone a year, and she had survived. She was still alive, wasn’t she? Even if at times it felt to her that she was hardly living - she was okay. Maybe it was all a bunch of bullshit, then - all that about someone dying of a broken heart. Kagome was certain her heart had broken in several places when she had left behind the jewel (her only means of travel between her time period and the feudal era), and Inu-yasha standing - watching her go. And yet, there she was. Still alive, still whole -

Well, not quite.

Kagome sighed, pulled the keys from the ignition, and lifted her head. She nearly screamed in fright when she saw that Inu-yasha was sitting on the hood of her car, his back to her. Kagome was surprised to find that he appeared almost - relaxed. She watched him for a moment. His form wasn’t rigid, alert, as it normally tended to be. In fact, he didn’t seem very attentive to much of anything around him. Kagome could not recall a single instance in which she had ever seen Inu-yasha so at ease.

As if on cue, his ears twitched slightly, and he turned around. Their eyes locked, and instantly all of Kagome’s former frustrations drained from her. She blinked. He didn’t. After a moment, in which neither of them moved an inch, Kagome exhaled a breathe she hadn’t been aware she was holding.

She stepped out of the car, letting the fresh, balmy air wash over her. “Hey.” She said, quietly, sheepishly. Kagome inwardly hoped that he hadn’t been there for very long. She realized, suddenly rather self-conscious, how strange she must’ve looked sitting there, forehead seemingly one with the steering wheel.

“Still mad at me?” She asked softly. A moment passed, and Kagome glanced at him. It was strange to find the smallest of smiles gracing his features. Hesitantly, she walked around the car, until she was facing him. Inu-yasha tensed slightly when she scooted up next to him on the hood. His miniscule smile faded, and he looked at her apprehensively; as though expecting her to start shouting at him at any random moment.

“Well?” She pressed on, smiling encouragingly at him. Kagome was very aware of how near they were sitting, now. She was perfectly conscious of that fact that it would not be at all difficult to lean in and kiss his currently slightly parted lips. Her heart fluttered in her chest, and Inu-yasha seemed to sense the sudden change in the ever-steady rhythm. He averted his eyes. Making a mental note to control her emotions - and sexual frustration - Kagome willed her heart to slow it’s pace. The color rushed to her face nonetheless.

Kagome opened her mouth, and attempted to speak. She searched her mind for the right words - and then, for any words at all. But she could find not a single thing to utter, and simply closed her mouth in silent defeat. Inu-yasha was staring fixedly at the ground. His still fairly long hair fell over his shoulder, shading his eyes from her view, as he did so.

Kagome watched him closely.
“You’re not really a pain in the ass.” She said, after a few moments, breaking through the silence that hung heavily in the air. Inu-yasha was snapped out of his reverie by her voice, and lifted his head, looking at her with slightly narrowed amber eyes.

“That’s not what you thought an hour ago.” He replied, looking at her strangely. Kagome fidgeted a bit under his relentless gaze. “Well, “ She began, picking at the large hole in the knee of her jeans, “You were acting like one.” Inu-yasha snorted, and Kagome immediately looked up at him. He looked amused.

“A year ago you would’ve been screaming at me, ‘Of course you were being a pain in the ass!’” He said, still gazing at her. Kagome grimaced. “And a year ago, you would’ve told me to stop being so annoying, and - “ Kagome stopped, seeing Inu-yasha’s facial expression change almost instantly. Slowly, hesitantly - she reached her hand up, her fingertips brushing against his cheek gently. “A years a damn long time,” He said, gruffly. Kagome found it impossible to speak, just then. Inu-yasha placed his hand over hers, closing his eyes.

An eternity passed. It was getting dark.

Inu-yasha opened his eyes, and they seemed to glow as he released her hand. She let it drop slowly, her eyes still locked with his. “Do you love him?” Inu-yasha asked suddenly. The gentle wind picked up, rippling through his hair as he awaited her reply. Kagome shook her head slightly, lowering her eyes and staring into her lap, as though the answer was there, sketched in the inseam of her pants. The car creaked and dipped ever so slightly as Inu-yasha slid off the hood. Kagome could feel the car readjust after the loss of weight.

Kagome glanced up at Inu-yasha, who was standing on the sidewalk staring at her. “What do you want me to say, Inu-yasha?” She asked quietly - and then, “What can I say?” He merely continued to watch her. Kagome was unnerved by his silence, and even more unnerved by the fact that, as he stood there, hair whipping in the wind, eyes glowing palely - he looked more like a demon, more like his half-brother, than he ever had before.

“I’m getting married.” She said breathlessly. She seemed almost defiant as she spoke these words, her voice growing steadily louder. “I’m - I’m moving on. And you can’t stand that, can you? You just want me stuck in the past. Stuck with you. Well it’s not going to happen, Inu-yasha! I can’t keep living my life 500 years ago - one year ago. What do you want out of me?“ She gazed at him, breathing heavily in frustration and anger. He didn’t blink, he didn’t move, he didn’t speak. “What do you want?!” she nearly yelled, glaring at him, chest heaving.

Before she realized what Inu-yasha was doing, he was standing before her, both hands planted firmly on each of her sides, palms flat against the car. He leaned in towards her, his face so close she could feel his breath on her lips. “If you don’t know what the hell I want,” He said, so softly that the wind nearly stole his words, “Then I’m not going to tell you.” Kagome peered into his face, but she saw no anger there. In fact, he appeared almost vulnerable, standing there in front of her. They gazed at each other for what felt like an eternity - neither seeming to breath. He was so close to her, and for the hundredth time, she was sorely tempted to simply lean in a mere inch and kiss him. But the thought never expanded into action.

Finally, Kagome turned her face away, staring off to her side at an oil stain in the parking space beside hers. Inu-yasha didn’t move. He watched her profile, watched as a tear leaked down her cheek, watched as she wiped it away hastily. And then, with an air of impatience, he lifted his hands from their position on the car, and wrapped his arms around her

Kagome sat, shocked - and then slowly returned the embrace. She buried her face in his shoulder, tightening her grip on him, though he showed no sign of letting her go. Inu-yasha’s breath was warm on her ear, tickling her, sending chills throughout her body as he exhaled and inhaled heavily, as though struggling to breath. What Kagome didn’t know was that Inu-yasha was using every form of restraint to not tear off her clothes right then and there. What Kagome didn’t know was that her scent was what was causing him to breath as though his lungs were starving for oxygen.

Still in Inu-yasha’s embrace, unwilling to relinquish her hold on him - Kagome slid forward, off of the hood of the car, until they were standing. And Kagome knew, without a doubt, that regardless of what she had said, regardless of her claims that she was not willing to live in the past, that she did not want to be stuck with Inu-yasha - she did not want him to let go of her, just yet.

He brought his mouth to her ear, “Come inside.” He whispered, hoarsely. Kagome’s heart pounded violently as she nodded into his shoulder. Inu-yasha pulled away, grabbing her hand and leading her upstairs silently. He opened the door, her hand still in his, and he pulled her towards him gently. He closed the door behind them, gazing at Kagome with a strange look in his eyes - and suddenly, he was against her. Her back against the door, Kagome’s eyes closed of their own accord as Inu-yasha’s mouth made it’s assault against her neck, causing her spine to tingle and her thoughts to blur.

Inu-yasha brought his mouth back to hers, and Kagome hardly took notice of the three short, loud knocks that rattled the door she was pressed against. Her leg wrapped itself around his, bringing their hips even closer together - every bit of friction was making Kagome crazy. More knocking. A familiar voice called Kagome’s name from the hall. Inu-yasha growled quietly into her mouth, and the vibration caused her to moan softly into him. The kiss deepened; Inu-yasha bringing his hands to her face as he pressed her even further into the door.

Warmth pooled between her legs as she felt something hard rub against her inner thigh. Inu-yasha moved even closer into her. They‘re bodies were tight against one another, his breathing growing ever heavier as she brought her hands down. They brushed slightly against him as she coiled them around his waist, and she could feel him - hard, waiting as she rubbed her hips against him deliberately. He groaned faintly, and the sound caused her to repeat her actions, until his hands were pressed on her hips, keeping her from grinding against him again. He hooked his fingers in her jeans, his mouth moving from hers to just below her ears. Four or five extremely loud knocks shook the door. They ignored them once again. The thought process was beyond either of their capabilities, at the moment.

Kagome proceeded to lift Inu-yasha’s shirt, her fingers brushing against his taut, feverish flesh. He pulled away so as to let her get it off of him. His hair disheveled, Inu-yasha watched Kagome intently as she threw the shirt off to the side. Kagome gazed up at him for a moment, then their mouths met again. “Kagome, open the freaking door!“ said the same familiar voice as before, “I know you‘re here! Your cars outside!” Through the haze Kagome recognized the voice as her brothers. Breaking the kiss, Inu-yasha pulled away slightly. Both were breathing heavily. Inu-yasha was struggling with the sudden discomfort of jeans - which happened to be quite a bit tighter than he had thought. Kagome was trying to catch her breath, and ignore the desire spreading through her, like liquid fire through her veins.

Their eyes locked, and neither spoke. Souta knocked again, as Inu-yasha bent over to retrieve his t-shirt. Kagome headed into the bathroom. “One second!” She shouted to her brother. Inu-yasha followed her into the bathroom. She brushed her hair, glanced into the mirror, hoping her face wasn’t too red, and then made to go answer the door. Before she could, Inu-yasha caught her around the waist, and planted a soft, warm kiss on her neck. Kagome blushed furiously as the warmth spread even further through her body. “Later…” He murmured into her ear, and smiled at her as she stepped out in the hall. He closed the door gently.

Kagome had to stop herself from smirking as she heard the shower begin to run.

xxx

“Geez, what the hell were you doing?” Souta asked, as Kagome searched for coffee.

“Well, I was sleeping.“ She replied, stretching to retrieve the instant mix from the top shelf. “And Inu-yasha was in the shower, obviously.” She added, once she had the coffee in hand. Souta fought not to smile, but the impulse won out. “Already forcing him to a cold shower, are we?” He asked, playfully. Kagome laughed. “Yeah, right. How ever did you know?” She shot back sarcastically. Souta grinned. Kagome’s insides squirmed uncomfortably, as she removed the boiling water from the stove. How far would things have gone, had Souta not interfered?

Souta and Kagome sipped the newly made coffee. Inu-yasha emerged, a few moments later, from the bathroom - nearly entirely nude, but for the towel wrapped around his waist; which was currently hanging precariously low. “Where did you say those extra pants were?” He asked, leaning against the wall at the end of the hallway. Kagome’s eyes widened, and she sputtered into her cup, choking slightly. Souta laughed at his sister, and kindly helped her lower the coffee from her face. He took it out of her hands, still laughing, and nodded at Inu-yasha. “Better get him some clothes.”

Kagome got to her feet immediately, hurrying past Inu-yasha, who watched her as she walked past him, and back into the bedroom. Noticing Souta’s ineptly hidden, curious stare - Inu-yasha turned and followed Kagome into the room.

She was just straightening up with one of Kei’s pairs of plaid pajama bottoms in hand when he entered. He approached her calmly, taking the pajama pants from her, and smirking as their hands brushed, and Kagome jumped slightly at the contact. She struggled not to stare at Inu-yasha‘s well-toned chest; she tried not to think of the fact that he was practically naked - and alone with her in her bedroom. Inu-yasha’s smile had worked into a smirk as Kagome made to leave. “Don’t get too confident.” she said, tearing the slipping towel off of him as she walked past.

Inu-yasha yelped, and covered himself with the pants.

xxx

Ree: La la la. This chapter took much, much longer than I intended. You all probably think I’m evil at this point, and, well - I can’t really say you’d be wrong. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it. Don’t forget to let me know what you thought!