InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Have Lemonade, Please ❯ Pull Up a Chair, Grab Your Popcorn ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I'll have Lemonade, Please

by Fujifunmum

Chapter 4: Pull Up a Chair, Grab Your Popcorn

Kagome reached her physician's office in record time. She was amazed when she was able to park in one of their reserved spots out front. That had never happened before. But that was just the beginning of the doctor's visit from another universe.

There was no one else in the waiting room, and when Kagome signed in, the nurse called her back immediately. Kagome began to wonder if something had gone seriously wrong in this time line.

" Where is Dr. Wilson and what have you done with his patients?"

The nurse just laughed and put her in the examining room. "He's got a big Hospital fund raiser tonight, and his wife is the chairperson. If he's late, he'll be paying more alimony than your whole precinct makes in a year." She took Kagome's temperature and blood pressure, as well as a routine blood and urine sample. "It's been quite a while since you've been here. What seems to be the trouble?"

"Nausea and lightheadedness. I think I have the flu, but it's been going on for about two weeks, so I thought I would ask Richard for a prescription to ease the symptoms. I'm in the middle of a high profile murder investigation and this is really slowing me down. Oh, and I feel tired a lot, too. The receptionist insisted I come in, so here I am."

"Are you late?"

The question startled Kagome. She thought a moment and said, "Well, I don't think so, but I'm pretty erratic. Maybe my PMS is getting worse. I suppose that could explain it."

"We'll see. The doctor will be with you shortly, and I mean shortly!" They both laughed, that would certainly be another 'first'. But the doctor didn't come in until almost fifteen minutes later. He was smiling, which was nothing unusual. She had been his patient for several years, and Dr. Wilson had one fine bedside manner.

"So tell me about your eating habits, young lady."

Kagome was taken aback by the question, but answered. "Nice to see you, too, Richard. You know what my job is like; I eat whatever, whenever. Not too much fast food, but more pizza than any one person should ever eat."

"And alcohol?"

"Not much. I can't hold it very well so I usually only have a beer with the guys after work occasionally. Why are you so interested in my diet?"

"I have a new one for you. Here, and I want you to go see Dr. Brisk this week. She's still your ob/gyn, right? You need to get started on your pre-natal care. You're pregnant Kagome. Congratulations!" He handed her a pink and blue colored pamphlet labeled in the cutest lettering possible: "What to Eat While You're Expecting!"

Kagome looked down at the pamphlet and back at his smiling face. She was completely stunned, and could barely choke out a response. "This can't be true. You're kidding me, right?"

Dr. Wilson's smile faded to a look of complete concern. "Kagome, urine tests don't lie. That's why you had to wait a little. We ran it twice. Is this going to be a problem for you? Do you want me to recommend a counselor? I am concerned about this initial reaction. I can tell you are surprised, but are you unhappy?"

"Shocked, dazed and confused would be more accurate." Kagome looked up at his concerned face, and realized that she didn't have a clue what she felt at the moment. "I need some time to think about this, and I have some friends I can discuss it with. I know you have a pressing engagement, why don't I call you if I need a referral of some description?"

"Are you sure? I do have a fund-raiser tonight, but emergencies happen. I want to be sure that you are OK before you leave this office."

"No, really, I will be fine. I just have a lot to think about, but I certainly don't need to do it here. I'll go to a friend's house. Don't be concerned. This happens every day, right? It's a natural part of life."

"Yes. Right up until it happens to you, Kagome. Please call me if you need anything, or if Dr. Brisk can't see you right away." He hesitated at the door, "Are you positive you don't want to talk to me about it now?"

"Believe me, that's about all I am sure of at the moment. I need to think first."

Kagome left the office and sat in her car. How had this happened? Well, of course, she knew HOW this had happened, but why now? Being an unmarried single mom was not on her do to list. What was she going to tell her mom? And how was she going to explain her lack of responsibility about her own body. Her mom had been very supportive and explicit about sex and how to protect herself from unwanted pregnancies and disease. And how was she going to tell Yash?

She thought back to the beginnings of their sexual relationship, six months ago. She had been insistent about using appropriate protection for just this reason. Inu Yasha had assured her that it wasn't necessary. He was just as insistent that being a hanyou, one that was half dog demon, meant that he could take appropriate measures when necessary. She wasn't really clear on how he had convinced her that his measures were foolproof, but he had. And they had seemed to be trustworthy for the last six months, so how was she going to tell him that there had been a failure? How would he take it? Would he believe her, or would he be suspicious? His possessiveness was a constant worry to her. He was the only man, well dog, well hanyou, in her life, but he became instantly alert and protective if another male expressed even the most innocent interest in her. It was damned irritating for someone who had not committed himself to her.

Kagome regained her bearings enough to start the car. She was definitely not ready to go back to the precinct. What had Sango told her yesterday? Ah yes, she had an important meeting with the consultant from hell, so going to see Sango was not an option. Kagome left the doctor's office and found herself driving to Venice. The person she wanted to discuss this with was Kaede.

Driving to Venice, Kagome thought over her relationship with Yash. She had met him two years ago at Badgers. She had been attracted to him, but was still working to become a detective and had no time for any relationship. He hadn't expressed any overt interest in her. But he seemed to find a way to sit at her table when she came to Badgers. And he watched her, arms folded across his chest, as he joked with the guys and nursed a single beer. Whenever she noticed him watching, he would just smile and offer to buy another round. But she felt his attention.

After about six months, just after she had finally passed her Detective's exam, he began to sit next to her. He'd make small talk, or regale her with stories about his loonier cases. He was charming, generous, and attentive. Eventually, they started going to dinner. Or a new show, or some art fair or outdoor event she was interested in. He'd moved into his current beach house just about a year ago. And that was when he began to pursue her. It took him almost six months to get her into his beach house, and she was so in love with him by then, that she didn't have the heart or will to refuse him. Their relationship was weird. He hadn't ever mentioned marriage or an engagement, but he had been pressuring her to "become his mate", whatever that meant, since the first time they had slept together. And now he wanted her to move in with him. She didn't understand it, and was not at all sure how he would react to the idea of fatherhood. He had never mentioned marriage, children or family to her in their entire acquaintance.

And that was why she wanted to see Kaede. After their relationship had become physical, he had taken her to Venice to meet Kaede. He said she was an old friend, and he treated her like an Aunt, calling her "Baba". He acted as if he was obligated to visit her by some unpleasant past relationship on the surface, but it was clear to Kagome that he valued her advice and had taken her to meet Kaede for some kind of approval.

She was an artist. And made exquisite jewelry out of beach glass. She had been very sweet to Kagome, and very welcoming. When she found out Kagome's mother, grandfather and brother lived in Milwaukee, she had asked Kagome to treat her as a second mother and insisted on giving her a painting of the beach in front of Yash's house, and a lovely pair of earrings. Fortunately, Kagome was wearing the earrings, today. She knew that Kaede would be pleased at that.

The visit had been very pleasant, but also a little bit strange. Kaede must be into 'new age' stuff. She had asked Kagome's permission to 'read' her, and proceeded to hold out her arm and sort of sense her aura. She hadn't given Kagome any feedback from the 'reading' other than to say how artistic she felt Kagome to be. Kaede had called her a 'kindred soul' and invited her to come by anytime. Today, Kagome would find out if that invitation had been genuine.

She pulled up into the beach front bungalow's driveway and knocked at the front door. She wasn't surprised at the lack of response. She knew that Kaede spent most of her time on the beach, weather permitting. So she took off her shoes and made her way down to the ocean. Kaede was sitting next to a small driftwood campfire, surrounded by paints and stones. Kagome called out a greeting and waved to let Kaede know she was coming.

Kaede was very happy to see her, welcoming her like a dear friend. Kagome sat next to her, close to the fire and peered out at the ocean. How was she to begin this conversation with Yash's friend? Or was she his mentor? Relative? Kagome really didn't know.

"May I read you, Kagome? I see you are troubled."

"OK," said Kagome, holding out her arm for Kaede's examination.

"Was this child unexpected?"

Kagome's eyes were huge as she looked on Kaede with newfound respect.

"You can tell that by reading me?"

"Yes. I can. Inu Yasha didn't tell you about my last reading, did he?"

"No. What did you learn, will you tell me?"

"You are a gifted intuitive, Kagome. A very old soul and one with immense potential, power and talent. You would be a gifted artist. You solve your crimes more easily when you seek with your feelings rather than with your logic. But you don't trust your intuition yet."

"I don't understand, but I will tell you that intuition brought me to see you today. I don't know what to think about this pregnancy. I am surprised by it. Inu Yasha assured me that ordinary precautions were not necessary due to his, um, nature. And I don't know what my family will think. I don't know what Inu Yasha will think. Hell, I don't even know what I think about it yet."

"And what can I tell you, child?"

"Inu Yasha is so possessive it drives me crazy. I don't know how to tell him. What if he doesn't think it is his child?"

Kagome was completely unprepared for Kaede's laughter at this. "I think a short discussion about dog demons is in order, but first, tell me, has Inu Yasha met your family?"

"Yes. And I was worried about my mother liking him, but she and grandfather both were very impressed by him and made no secret of their approval. It didn't hurt that Inu Yasha made every effort to be his most charming self and got them all kinds of tickets to sold out events. He really endeared himself to them by inferring that he 'protects' me while I am in LA. My family thinks that living is LA is tantamount to a death wish, especially for a cop. My brother idolizes him. Especially after he let him drive the Jag."

"I assume you know that Inu Yasha is a hanyou, and what that means."

"Yes. When our relationship, um, shall we say progressed, he told me that he was half human and half dog demon and that both of his parents were dead. He also said he has a half brother whom he virtually never sees, and no other family. Are you related to Yash, Kaede? He didn't tell me what your relationship was, exactly."

"Well, we go back a lot of years together. We are not related, but we are not exactly friends, either. It's complicated. Someday we'll explain it to you, but for now, tell me what else has Inu Yasha told you about dog demons?"

"Almost nothing. We've never discussed it. And he has not said anything about cementing our relationship, which also makes me nervous about telling him this unexpected news."

"Kagome. This is important. Does he refer to you as his mate?"

"Only every time I see him. He has been trying to convince me to 'become his mate' since, well since just before we came to visit you." Kagome blushed. He had been trying to get her to refer to herself in that way ever since the first time they had consummated their relationship. "Lately, he's also been trying to get me to move into his house."

"And why are you resistant? What's holding you back?"

"He's never told me that he loves me, nor has he ever discussed making our relationship more permanent. I am reluctant to live with someone who is not committed to me. Kind of ironic under the circumstances, wouldn't you say?"

"Not to worry, sweetie. He's committed. Let's go back to the house. I think you need a little more privacy for the rest of our discussion."

They gathered up the stones and paints and Kagome followed Kaede back to the house. She really liked this bungalow down by the beach. It was comfortable and filled with the beauty of Kaede's art and talents. She felt very at home. And right now, with the turmoil in her mind, feeling comfortable and at home was wonderful. Kaede offered her a cold drink and they settled at her kitchen table to resume their talk.

"Dog demons mate for life, Kagome. Inu Yasha is totally committed to you, and has been since the first time you were together." Kaede paused to let this news flash sink in. Kagome was looking amazed and dazed.

"Why the hell didn't he tell me?"

"He's an idiot. He probably thinks you already know. He is also no doubt very confused by your continuing refusal to admit to being his mate. He wouldn't understand it. Furthermore, if you want marriage, just say so. It won't matter to him, but if he knows you want it, he'll do it to please you." Kaede paused, "Dog demons aren't alone in that attitude, you know."

"How was I supposed to know? I never met a dog demon before!"

"I told you, he's an idiot. And rather self-absorbed, don't you think? It probably never occurred to him that you DIDN'T know. That's why I think he is confused about you refusing to become his mate. In his very tiny mind, that's the totality of everything he can offer you. So he doesn't understand why you are refusing. And that's why he's so possessive, too. As far as he is concerned, you are already mated."

"Yes, he's said that to me many times. I wish I'd understood what he was thinking. Do you think that he will be happy about this news? If he thinks we are already as good as married, then he might be happy, right?"

"Drink the rest of your lemonade, Kagome. We'll get to that in a minute. What about your feelings? Do you want to have a child with Inu Yasha?"

"I certainly was not planning to start a family for several more years. But then, I have to admit that I love Inu Yasha. Having his child would not be the worst decision I've ever made. Letting him be in charge of preventative measures has already gone to the top of that list. And if it's true that he considers us 'married' in his own warped viewpoint, then I might be able to get used to this. I need to think about it some more."

Kagome sipped her lemonade, and pondered her situation in this new light. She was lost in thought for a few minutes, but then said, "Why wouldn't he tell me that he loves me? I really want to hear that from him, Kaede."

"Have I mentioned he's an idiot? For him, asking you to be his mate says it all, no more is needed. I think he wants to make you happy, Kagome. But being sensitive to your needs if you don't actually spell it out for him is not part of his skill set. If you ask for the words, I'm sure he'll say them. But as far as he's concerned, he's already shown you with his actions. Is that enough?"

"I don't know. Can I use your bathroom, Kaede?"

"Sure, use the one through the bedroom, it's the closest."

Kagome went through Kaede's bedroom and walked towards the bathroom door. She was almost to the door when she spotted a framed photograph on the bedside table. She stopped to look at it. She could hardly believe her eyes. Kagome was looking at what looked for all the world like a picture of herself, holding the hand of a little girl. But she didn't recognize the dress she was wearing or the little girl. She set the picture back down and continued to the bathroom, very mystified. When she came out, she intended to take the picture in to Kaede and ask her about it, but it was gone. Had she imagined it? At this point, she had other, more pressing questions for Kaede.

She returned to the table. "You still haven't told me how you think Inu Yasha will react to my pregnancy. Will he be happy? He won't be suspicious, will he? I couldn't stand it if he thought it wasn't his child."

"Kagome, listen to me. I have already told you that Inu Yasha and I are not exactly friends. But we aren't enemies, either. Did you know that this is his house?" Kagome shook her head, indicating she did not, her face registering more surprise.

"He gave me this house to live in when he built the house he has now. He built it for you. And whatever you may think about him when you leave here today, would you please try to remember that in his mind he has been trying to 'cement' his relationship with you for the last year."

"Really?" Kaede nodded her agreement. "Then he might be happy about my news?"

"He already knows. And he knows it's his child, too." Kaede watched the varied emotions crossing Kagome's face. She had tried to soften the news as much as possible. Now it was up to Kagome.

Kagome drove back to the precinct very carefully. She knew her emotional turmoil was not the best frame of mind for driving, and she had promised Kaede she was calm enough to drive, and would be very careful. That was a promise she needed to keep. She had to live long enough to kill him.

Kaede's explanation, when she had been calm enough to hear it, rang in her ears. "Dog demons, and a few others, like wolves and foxes, have a heightened sense of smell. He was very convincing about being able to keep you from becoming pregnant because he can tell by your scent when you are ovulating. He was telling you the truth. And since your body would start producing different hormones as soon as you became pregnant, he would know that, too. Your scent would change. Any demon sensitive to your scent would know. Inu Yasha, as your mate, would be the most sensitive to changes in your scent. That's why I am certain that he knows. If he suspected that it was not his child, believe me, you would already know it. If what I suspect is true, he probably knew you were pregnant very shortly after he impregnated you. Has he been overly solicitous of late?"

Kagome's head was swimming. She was remembering "Decaf" in her mind, and

"coke" and "women shouldn't really drink in bars". Yes, Inu Yasha had indeed joined a cult. The cult of the damned. He would wish he had never been born, that conniving asshole!

"And what would hurt him the most, Kaede?"

The answer to that question was clear. "If you terminate this pregnancy, or your relationship with him, or both. But is that what you want? Remember Kagome, you told me you loved him. In his own way, he loves you. In some ways, this is the tangible proof."

Kaede had refused to let her leave until the worst of her initial anger subsided. Now she was burning with a cold fury. She pulled into the precinct parking lot at 7:30, surprised that she had made such good time back from Venice. She had a case to oversee, and she had already determined that it was about time she stopped micromanaging her well-trained staff. They knew what was expected of them, it was time they delivered. She could stop beating her head against a brick wall over this case, reading and re-reading every detail, and get them to submit decent reports and do some creative thinking on their own. She was going to do her own creative thinking about her life, and she had decided just where to do it.

She was more in control of her emotions as she got on the elevator. Just before the doors closed, she heard someone cry out, "Hold the elevator!" She pushed the button to keep the doors open, and was startled to see Sango appear at the entrance.

"Kagome! I was just coming up to see you! Are you OK? I just followed Yash here, and he was acting very weird. Said he had to talk to you immediately and I couldn't hate him tomorrow. Any idea what's going on? And I think that Yash has a new lead on the case."

"Oh, I have an inkling of what's going on, all right. So Yash is upstairs waiting for me? Well, that is just too perfect. Come on up, you'll enjoy the show."

"I'll wait for Miroku. He should be here any minute, too. I called him on my cell and asked him to meet me here."

"The more the merrier, Sango."

"Kagome, are you sure you're OK? You seem really upset to me."

"You don't know the half of it. Stick around. More balls than bowling. More body slams than wrestling. Today's Special will be Dog Demon Delight. And you're in the best seat to watch me fricassee his sorry hide." With that, the elevator doors slid closed, leaving a startled Sango standing in the lobby.

The doors slid open on the fourth floor and Kagome marched out into the waiting arena.

If she noticed that there wasn't an empty seat in the house, she didn't show it. Yash was leaving her office, coming to meet her and as she moved within earshot, he began to speak to her.

"Kagome, can we please go somewhere private to talk? I need to speak with you right away. I know you are busy, but it's an emergency."

Kagome walked past him as if he wasn't there. She kept right on walking straight to her office and went around to the back of the desk and began packing up her briefcase. She almost had all of the summary case files packed when Yash reached her doorway. He stopped and knocked on the doorjamb. It was her office after all.

"Kagome, please, I really need to speak with you. If you won't go somewhere with me will you at least let me speak to you here, in your office?"

Kagome finished packing up her briefcase. She looked up, met his eyes levelly, extended her hand, palm up, and said, "Give me your keys. I accept your offer."

Yash was stumped. This sounded good, but she wasn't smiling.

He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out his house keys. He put them in her hand, and said, "Can we go home and talk? Now?"

She packed up her laptop, pocketed the keys and came around the desk to the doorway, glaring at him until he backed up. She came through the doorway and said, "I'm going home. I'm going to think about what I'm going to do next. You can find somewhere else to put your sorry ass until further notice. Don't come over. Don't call. Don't write. Don't even breathe my name if you ever want to see me again."

She stepped past him, and then backed up a step, grabbed his expensive silk tie and pulled his face down to her eye level. "If you try to pressure me in any way, I could make a very rash decision that we might both regret. Do you understand?" Yash nodded. There wasn't enough air left in his windpipe for him to answer verbally.

"It was brought to my attention today that English is your second language, are you sure I don't need to spell it out for you?" He nodded again.

Kagome released him and marched towards the door. She stopped only once to address Shippo over her shoulder. "You're toast, too, little fox. It didn't take long for me to figure out what you've been doing behind my back. I hope your popcorn has lots of butter 'cause you're going to need all the grease you can find to get your sorry ass out of this precinct. Get on line and stay there. I will be sending you some new instructions from home."

She headed for the elevators, calling out as she left, "Show's over, boys. Ass kicking starts tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. This case is going into high gear. Now."

Sango and Miroku met her at the elevator. Sango gave her a big hug and said, "I don't know what's going on Kagome, but do you want me to come home with you? We can leave right now. I don't think you should be alone."

"No, it's OK, Sango. I really need to think. I'll call you if I get lonely or want to talk, promise." She smiled weakly at both Sango and Miroku and got on the elevator.

Sango looked to Miroku; "Do you have any idea what is going on?"

"Actually, I do. I'll tell you about it in the car."

Miroku pushed the button to call the elevator. The entire fourth floor seemed to be bolting for the stairs behind them, including Shippo. Badgers was in for a busy night.

"Shall we take the stairs, too?" Sango asked.

"No, let's wait." Miroku answered.

The elevator doors slid open and Sango walked to the control panel and pushed the button for the Lobby. As the doors slid closed, Miroku eased in front of her and seized her in a passionate embrace. Sango thought, "My Miroku could be the poster boy for passionate kisses." She was sighing into his kiss, returning it just as passionately. Miroku reached out and pushed the stop button on the elevator panel. He backed her up onto the closest wall as the elevator stopped abruptly between the third and fourth floors. He leaned into her to maximize their body contact. Then he broke their kiss and whispered in her ear, "Truth or Dare?"

Oh no. Nor here in the middle of a police precinct. "Dare," she whispered.

"I dare you to do it with me right here, right now." Miroku was already reaching down to pull up her very short skirt, dragging his fingertips along the back of her thighs.

"Truth or Dare?" Sango whispered in response.

"Truth, always."

"Why?"

"I find unusual places, shall we say, stimulating." Her skirt was already up over the curve of her hips, and her panties were down by her ankles.

"If we're caught, 'Busted' will take on a whole new meaning."

"Exactly. The fear of discovery, Sango. Don't you feel it?"

"Yeah, I do. It's kind of hard to miss pressed up against my crotch, Miroku. You better make this fast."

"I don't think I could do it any other way this time, Sango." Miroku caught her mouth again, pushing her hard against the wall. What clothes were left between them were no impediment. He reached down to test her readiness.

"I see my future Mrs. shares some of my tastes. Hold on, Sango. This will be short, but I guarantee you it will be sweet." And with that he grabbed both of her sweet cheeks in his hands and tilted her hips to ease his entry. Miroku was indeed in a hurry this time, but he took enough time to bring Sango along with him, and ever conscious of her pleasure, let her finish first.

Some of the guys at Badgers were asking about the odd noises they heard in the stairwell, but no one really knew what had happened. Except Shippo, who was at his desk, on line, waiting for Kagome to contact him.

It had been Shippo who had been standing in the Lobby with his carryout dinner in his hands when the elevator doors opened. Sango and Miroku walked out, hand in hand. Shippo took one sniff and called out after them, "Next time guys, get a room!" He snatched up Sango's panties just before the doors closed, and headed for the stairs. "At least today wasn't a complete loss."

Sango placed her hand on Miroku's arm as they left the building, "Let's do that again when we get home, maybe a lot slower?"

"Anything for you, my boomerang butterfly."