InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Have Lemonade, Please ❯ When is a Dog Not a Chicken? ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


I'll have Lemonade, Please

by Fujifunmum

Chapter 3: When is a Dog Not a Chicken?

Dinner at Salamander's on a Friday night was right up there with scoring tickets for the Super Bowl on the L. A. scale of trendiness. Yash must really have a soft spot for Miroku and me; Sango mused as the maitre de led her to the best table in the place. He had to have called in a lot of favors to get this for her. She really liked him, too. And she wished he would take her advice about Kagome. He clearly loved her but didn't seem to understand that Kagome wanted to hear the words, too. Thank goodness Miroku wasn't afraid to express his feelings. He was articulate. He was attentive. He was just a sensitive kind of guy. And, of course, he couldn't keep his hands off her.

Sango was an old fashioned kind of girl. She had already lost all the members of her small immediate family to disease or gang violence in the worst part of LA, where she had grown up. She was a determined young lady. And she had been determined to finish her degree and become a bride before she indulged in sex. Her girlfriends from the 'hood had young children out of wedlock or broken marriages to show for their sexual experimentation. She had seen just how happy their boyfriends had made them by insisting that they prove their love. She didn't understand why they couldn't wait for a better man, or at least a better offer. She left her old neighborhood with its sad memories behind when she got her job at US Assurance. The claims manager position had paved the way for her to get her own small condo and pay for her own college. No man was going to derail her plans.

Miroku didn't pressure her. He made his feelings clear. And he made his desires clear, too. She figured his constant state of roaming hands was at least partially because she wouldn't consummate their relationship. She had not permitted him to lay a finger on her during their courtship, but once they became engaged, she ignored the stray hands that seemed to find their way to her whenever he was near. She seemed to be his only target, so she was willing to overlook it for now.

Miroku was meeting her for dinner. She had warned him that this place was definitely not your neighborhood McDonald's. He looked great in a suit, but rarely wore one. He was in the final year of his seminary studies, and often wore jeans and a T-shirt like any other student. She hoped he had understood the message; he was oblivious to trendy places and would judge this outing solely on the quality of the food.

As he approached the table, she saw his startled eyes. There were more than a few recognizable faces from TV and the movies at the tables near them. Even Miroku seemed to understand that this was quite a gift from Yash. And he looked great. She smiled a sweet hello, thinking that he really did clean up very well.

"What did you do for Yash to deserve this level of a payoff? Should I be concerned for the virtue of my intended?"

"Not at all, sweetie, unless you have plans for later. I just gave Yash my usual fabulous help and service and demanded appropriate compensation. Do you want to order for us?"

"The Maitre de informed me that Yash arranged for the resident chef to choose both our food and wine. And the bill will be delivered to Yash. So all we have to do tonight is enjoy each other's company.

"As for plans, I have lots of plans for you, my little boomerang butterfly. For tonight, I want you to either deliver up that luscious body of yours or agree to set our wedding date. We've been engaged for 2 months now. Put me out of my misery, Sango."

"Miroku, I get my undergrad degree in only a month, and I will finish up my master's degree in 18 months. Can't we wait until then?"

"Too long. There are only so many cold showers I can take, Sango. I thought we were going to get married after you got your undergraduate degree. Are you having misgivings, or second thoughts?"

Sango was shocked that Miroku could think that she had any reluctance to becoming his wife. Her answer would have to wait until after dinner, the waiter had just arrived with their wine, and a sampler plate of caviar. There were several colors and textures. They were fabulously arranged and looked terrific.

"Miroku, this looks great but I have no clue on how to eat it, do you?"

The almost lovers sat close together at their table, sampling the caviar and enjoying their special dinner. If Miroku's hands occasionally wandered over Sango's knees, or other available body parts, they didn't stay long and she didn't reprimand him at all. They enjoyed all of the myriad tastes the chef sent to tantalize them. They discussed their friends, Yash and Kagome, rather than addressing their own issues over dinner.

"I don't understand why Yash doesn't marry Kagome. And I don't think she understands it either. He keeps on stressing that she is his mate and expecting her to agree to that without explaining to her what that means. How is she supposed to react? I think she doesn't want to commit herself without understanding what she will be giving up."

"Inu Yasha seems to think she understands it perfectly. From his perspective, Sango, she is running off when they should already be together. As a Dog Demon, for him to call her his mate is the epitome of commitment. He's probably more confused by her refusal than she is by the offer."

"So what should we do to help?"

"Mind our own business? Meddling may sound like a good idea, but it almost never is. And I want your attention on me, not on Inu Yasha and Kagome. Is that so much to ask?"

"Not at all. Come back to my place so we can talk?"

"Can I hope for more than talk?"

"You can hope…"

Sango and Miroku had really enjoyed their dinner, but it was such wretched excess, they didn't even want to know what the final bill was. It could have cost more than Sango's tuition. Hell, it could have cost more than they were planning to spend on their wedding.

Miroku was looking forward to some privacy with Sango. When they got back to her condo, he took her hand as they sat on her couch and again asked her if she was hesitant to marry him for some reason she had yet to reveal to him.

"How can I reassure you? You have my complete love and trust."

"Then set the date for our marriage. And make it sooner than later. Both of us are alone Sango. Don't you want me to be your family? Don't you want us to have our own family?"

"Now, you're scaring me, Miroku. I am so totally ready to marry you, but kids need to be in the future. I want us to have time together first."

"And why aren't we enjoying that time together now?"

"No real reason."

Miroku was amazed. This was the first time Sango had even hinted that there was no reason for them to be waiting for marriage to consummate their relationship. "Who are you? And what have you done with my darling Sango, my boomerang butterfly?"

All Sango could do was laugh. "I don't know how to say this, but this waiting has been difficult for me, too. And Kagome is so happy when she…um … spends time with Yash. I wonder if we've made the right decision to wait. I'll let you set the date, Miroku. And you can spend the night, too."

All that prayer had been a good idea. And all his patience. Miroku could hardly believe his luck, but he wasn't about to give Sango a chance to change her mind. He gathered her up in his arms and held her close as he whispered in her ear, "The date is next month, right after your graduation. One month until we are legally joined. But our hearts, Sango, our hearts will be joined tonight."

And he began to kiss her, trying not to scare her with the passion he felt coursing through his veins. He pulled her on top of him on the couch, reclining as he wrapped his arms around her waist and settled her so that he could enjoy the feel of her closeness all along his body. She was going to be his, and he was trying to contain his rabid excitement. She was a virgin, and this first taking would be a little painful. Not too painful, he hoped. She was so inexperienced that he didn't want to do anything that might scare or upset her.

Sango's senses were drowning to the point that she was gasping for air. How had this happened? She hadn't planned it. That asshole demon had ordered three bottles of wine for their dinner - but she'd only had three glasses. Why had she given in to Miroku now? Was it the right decision? Could she really marry him in one month? At the moment she was only sure of one thing. If he didn't kiss her again soon, she might bolt and hide in the bathroom.

Miroku didn't sense any of Sango's indecision. He was too busy sampling the texture of her skin with his fingers and his mouth. Her skin was so soft, so inviting. He was always sneaking a touch here and there, but she had given him permission and he was ravenous. He kissed her mouth as he fingered her jawline and lifted her hair to position his fingertips on the nape of her neck. Then he began kissing her neck, snuggling his face on her to feel the warmth of her skin on his cheeks, his eyelids, and his forehead. He wanted to claim every single square inch of her body, bit by bit. And he wanted to spend a long time doing it, too. But he couldn't stay away from her mouth for long. Those beautiful sensuous lips were calling to him. And he had exploring to do there, too. He coaxed her to part her lips for him, but he could feel her apprehension as he explored her mouth with his tongue. He was holding her tightly, but he could feel her slight attempt to pull away. He stopped and opened his eyes to find her eyes squinted shut.

"Look at me Butterfly, Are you sure about this? I can wait until next month."

Her response was to exhale deeply and reach over to caress his lips with her own, seeking to part his lips, just as he had done. His surprise to feel her tentative probing with her tongue in his mouth was reassurance enough. He relaxed into her kiss, and again put his hands to her neck, gently stroking her. In some ways, he felt like he was petting her to calm her nerves and allow her passion to flow to the surface. All of a sudden he wondered where Kirara was. Sango's cat Kirara was very possessive, and bound to interrupt them at some point. He again stopped and stroked her cheek to get her attention.

"Sango. Where is Kirara? She will not like me touching you. I don't want to feel her claws instead of your sweet fingers."

"I'll put her in the kitchen for tonight."

Sango got up and retrieved Kirara, who had been asleep in her bedroom. As she settled her in the kitchen her mind was racing. Was this the right time? Was she ready to become lovers with Miroku? As she snuggled Kirara into her cat bed in the kitchen and petted her to calm her, she took a moment to examine her own feelings. She did want a physical relationship with Miroku. She was still very nervous, but felt that this was the right time for her, for them. She loved him very much, and felt that postponing their sexual relations any longer would be an artificial delay. She hadn't expected to feel this way, but she did. It felt like the right time, and the right place. She knew for certain that it was the right man.

She rejoined Miroku, and put her arms around him. "We only have to please each other, Miroku. And once I accept you, Kirara will, too." And she stroked his cheek with her hand.

She was mirroring his actions, and he found it more touching than he could express as he realized that she didn't know any other way to proceed. She was decided, but that did not assuage her nervousness. She was still his virgin Butterfly, afraid of coming too close to his flame.

He sat up and brought her into his lap, gathering her up and holding her close to his chest. He wanted her to hear the frantic beating of his heart, to feel his love for her without using words. He caressed her arms and legs, pausing to take off her shoes. She was wearing a slinky black dress and he was relieved that she had not worn pantyhose with her mules. He wanted to undress her, not fight with her clothes. He fingered the straps of her dress on her shoulders and back, moving them to kiss her under them. She bore it well on her shoulders, but when he moved to the criss-cross straps on her back, he was kissing her under her shoulder blades and she was shaking under his touch. If he couldn't think of a way to put her more at ease, he was afraid he might hurt her.

Miroku took Sango by the shoulders and looked at her. "Let's sit on the floor for a while. I want to show you that we will have fun together. We're going to play a game."

Sango just looked at him with big wide-open eyes as he deposited her on the floor and sat next to her. He was holding her hand, and sitting close to her with his other arm wrapped around her waist.

"Let's play Truth or Dare."

"You're joking, right?"

"Nope. You like games. You have more guts than anyone I know. Ready? Truth or Dare?"

"I can't believe you're suggesting this, NOW of all times. OK, let me think. OK. Dare."

"Do you have an egg timer and can you get it from the kitchen without Kirara freaking out?" Sango nodded. "Get it, this dare has a time limit."

She returned from the kitchen and kneeled in front of her fiancé, handing him the egg timer. He looked entirely too pleased about this idea. She was beginning to wonder if he had something kinky on his little sex starved mind.

"I dare you to take off my shirt. You have to take MORE than 3 minutes."

Sango was blushing a deep pink. But she giggled a little, shaking her head. She couldn't believe this was happening. She leaned over to take his hand in hers and undid his cuff button. He was watching her, smiling, but he said nothing. She took his other hand and undid that cuff. It was then that she realized that if she didn't improvise at least a little, she would fail to take the full 3 minutes. Sango didn't like to fail. She smiled back at Miroku and leaned over to kiss him as she undid the top button of his shirt. He was stroking her arms as she continued. She would kiss him, undo a button and then kiss him again. Then she started to kiss him underneath each button as she undid it, too. This game was starting to make more sense to her now. She didn't feel so nervous, and it ended up taking much more than three minutes for her to completely remove his shirt.

"Your turn. Truth or Dare?"

"Truth."

"Chicken, you always tell me the truth! OK, why do you call me your boomerang butterfly?"

Miroku pulled her into his lap and began kissing her face as he spoke. "I call you my butterfly because of your exquisite delicate beauty," he said, kissing her eyelids and her cheeks and finally her mouth, lingering there for quite a while. "And I call you my boomerang butterfly because I know that wherever you land in your travels, you will always come back to me."

He placed her hand on his chest over his heart, covering it with his own, placing his other hand over her heart. "We are connected here, in our hearts."

Sango was overcome with emotion at this touching description of their bonds of love. She kept her hand on his chest and joined it with her other one, leaning in to kiss him with more tenderness and passion than she had known was possible for her to feel. Their kiss blossomed into a deeper need, as she ran her fingers over his well-toned muscles and savored the feel and texture of his skin. His scent was filling her senses now and she was relaxing in his arms. He surprised her by breaking their contact and whispering in her ear, "Truth or Dare? Your turn."

"Dare." Her eyes were sparkling with pleasure, her nervousness forgotten.

"I dare you to take off my pants," he said with a very serious look in his eyes, watching her carefully to see what she would do.

She just shrugged her shoulders, tilted her head and said, "Any time limit?"

When he shook his head to indicate no time limit, she reached both hands toward his waist. He caught both of her hands in his and said, "But you can't use your hands." Now there was a gleam in his eyes that really challenged her. He was waiting to see how she would react.

Sango sat back on her heels and thought about it. This man, who loved her deeply, was going to a great deal of trouble to set her mind at ease and keep her from being too nervous. She didn't feel quite so nervous any more, and was barely blushing as she put her hands on his shoulders and pushed him back onto the floor. She kissed him very tenderly and started caressing his neck and shoulders with her hands. She began working her hands down his arms as she kissed him on the chin, down his neck and slowly made her way down his chest.

Miroku had his eyes closed, and was content to enjoy the feel of her hands and lips on his body. It wasn't really clear to him what she intended to do about the dare, but he wasn't in any mood to care. When her hands met his, he intertwined his fingers with hers. He opened his eyes to see her calmly lean over and unbutton the button of his waistband with her teeth and tongue. Then she grasped the zipper pull in her teeth and began to unzip it, moving slowly and rubbing her forehead, cheeks and chin down his body as she unzipped, a little at a time. The hardness she encountered with her forehead made her pause, but she continued, just making her touch a little more gentle.

When she had his pants completely unzipped, she sat up, still kneeling next to him. Using their joined hands, she raised him up to a seated position. She leaned over and kissed him, then whispered in his ear, "Stand up."

He stood up, stepped out of his pants and pulled Sango to her feet. He put his arms around her and said, "I think it's time we moved this game into your bedroom, ne?"

Sango led him by the hand, and Miroku started to unzip her dress as they moved. She gave him a quizzical look, and he asked, "Would you rather I used my teeth?"

She just laughed and her dress began to fall off as she walked. Miroku stopped her just inside the doorway. "Wait, Sango. I want to look at you."

Sango turned on a small lamp on her dresser and lit several candles before returning to join Miroku just inside the doorway of her bedroom. Miroku placed his hands on her shoulders and slid the straps off on each side, stroking her neck and shoulders. He moved her arms out of her straps, and removed her dress. Sango instinctively crossed her arms over her breasts, as she stood before him wearing only her underwear. Miroku hugged her and began to kiss her, waiting for her to hug him back. When she did he reached down to pull off her panties, letting them drop to the floor at her ankles. Then he stepped back to look at her.

"You're so beautiful, Sango. It's difficult to stop touching you at all, but I really want to look at you."

Sango was nervous and blushing, but Miroku's words still warmed her heart. Miroku came closer to hug her again, and Sango leaned over to whisper in Miroku's ear, "Truth or Dare, and please say Dare."

Miroku could only whisper back, "Dare."

"I dare you to make love to me Miroku." Miroku could only respond in kind. "Truth or Dare, and please say Truth."

Sango whispered, "Truth."

"Why today, Sango?"

She sighed, "It wasn't a reasoned decision. I figured if I was this nervous now, I would be even more nervous after a wedding, especially if it was my wedding. We had a lovely and very special dinner, I love you, and it just felt right. It still does."

Their doubts were answered and their kisses began to be more passionate than before. Miroku removed the rest of his clothing and moved both of them to Sango's bed, sitting next to her as he kissed and held her. Together, Miroku and Sango began to explore each other. Each seeking to learn together what would make the other happy. Sango's feelings and passions matched Miroku's as he tenderly kissed and touched her in places where no one had ever touched her.

"Tell me what you like, Sango, show me what makes you happy. I want to touch you everywhere. I want to possess every part of you, and show you joy as a complete expression of our love."

"I want to make you happy, too. I'm not going anywhere, Miroku. We have all the time we need to do whatever, whenever."

"Wherever, however?"

"Forever," Sango answered, kissing him and parting his lips with her tongue.

Miroku continued sampling the texture and softness of Sango's skin, slowly running his fingertips over her arms, especially the more sensitive skin under her wrists and the insides of her elbows. Sango had beautiful shapely legs, which she knew he greatly admired. He pulled her half onto his lap and caressed her thighs, her knees, calves and her finely turned ankles. Then he turned her to drape her gently across the bed. He wanted her closer, with more contact skin on skin. He held her close with one arm wrapped around and under her, while he stretched out next to and slightly turned toward her. He wanted to feel her all along the length of his body, and he wanted her to feel him pressing up against her hip. Let her feel how very happy he was to be there with her and get used to his strength and hardness while his hands began to introduce her to the pleasures of physical contact.

Sango was starting to feel a little dizzy. No one had ever touched her with such passion. And she was surprised that so many different places on her body reacted with such fervor at her lover's touch. She reached out to do a little tentative touching of her own, gently stroking Miroku's face, neck and shoulders. She was surprised that touching him, feeling the rippling of his muscles and tendons under her light, but sensual touch inflamed her own senses. She had always admired the strength he had in his arms and the well-defined muscles in his back and legs. Now she ran her hands over his back and biceps and found the muscles she had admired were responsive to her touch, and she was responding in return.

Her breathing was more rapid; she felt her body temperature rising. Maybe she was blushing all over? But she felt calm, yet excited. She felt anticipation, and a little anxiety. And she was sweating. She felt a heaviness in her breasts and her lower abdomen. Little gasps were turning into moans, all of them totally involuntary. And there was a new dampness between her legs.

She traveled her hands down his chest to his waist. Without pausing, she continued until she held his hardness in her hand. The feel of him surprised her. It was the same warm throbbing that she was feeling in her own body. She gingerly rubbed her fingers around him, delighted by his instant response.

Miroku noticed her smile and whispered, "Two can play at that, my dear."

Miroku freed his arm from behind her, and began to trace the lines of her collarbone with both hands. He was watching her as she opened her eyes wider while he moved his hands gradually down her body, encircling her breasts with the briefest of touches. She closed her eyes and small wordless noises of desire escaped her lips as he lightly touched her nipples. He nuzzled his face between her breasts as he played gently with their peaks. When he took one breast in his mouth, she gasped as she arched towards him. Meanwhile his free hand was tracing lightly down her stomach and she was feeling damper and almost achy. The lower his hand moved, the more she felt as if her senses were surrounded in an aura of musk and passion. His scent was light but earthy, with strong undertones of musk. Was sex losing consciousness while you were awake? Maybe it was an out of body experience.

She was overwhelmed with his touches, the scents and sounds of the moment, and her own growing need. By the time his fingers began to explore the lips of her entrance, her passion was aflame. He inserted a finger in her wet and needy entrance as he continued to caress one breast, licking and sucking at the other. His efforts were rewarded with a sigh filled with more longing than he had guessed she might possess. His Sango, longing for him, sighing under his tender care as she fondled his shaft, almost absently, with her hand. He smiled against her skin as he slipped in another finger and reached with his thumb for her clitoris. Her gasp turned into a choke and he felt her hand drop as she seemed to lose herself in her own passion, arching further into his care as he found a rhythm to drive her to the edge.

The feelings Sango experienced when Miroku showed her the pleasure of her first orgasm astonished her. She hadn't known that his fingers were that talented. Even afterward, she felt wrapped in a blanket of cherished warmth and desire. There were so many things in so many ways that Miroku wanted to do with Sango, but this was the right time for her first taking. He wanted it to be passionate but gentle She was more than ready for him to join with her by the time he moved on top of her and reached to guide himself within her. She paled briefly as he broke her membrane, but he held her until she recovered. With her full encouragement, he began to move with and within her, coaxing her to greater heights in her feelings. He brought her to climax first, waiting until she was satisfied before giving in to his own emotional release and spilling himself within her.

They had nothing but time to share and explore in front of them. Holding each other closely, they slept.

After his morning run, Inu Yasha sat on the beach. His legs were crossed in front of him. His arms were crossed over his chest. All he needed was a crystal pyramid over his head and he could pass for a new age guru. He sat there for hours. Contemplating the ocean. Waiting for the tide to reach him so he would have an excuse to move. The way life was treating him, maybe he wouldn't move. That would fix her. She'd miss him. Or would she?

After hours of trying he still couldn't figure out how such a simple solution had turned into the mess from bloody hell. It wasn't a lie; it was an omission. Oh, that would work. When pigs flew. Even he didn't believe Kagome would buy that. Had it been his job to tell her? Was it his responsibility? Just don't go there, Inu Yasha, he told himself. You're screwed. Maybe she'll invite you to the kid's college graduation, if she doesn't kill you herself before then. It was time.

The waves were close to lapping at his feet now. Time to haul his sorry ass further up the beach and figure out some damn way out of this mess. But as he stood, he decided enough was enough. He couldn't solve the mystery that was Kagome; he might as well work on the other cause for misery in his life at the moment. The Naguashi murder remained unsolved and neither he nor the LAPD was any closer to a solution.

Shippo, that freakin' jerk, had become his new best tormentor. They were actually exchanging information. Shippo was so delighted with his situation he took every possible chance to spend time with him. It was clear that he was unwilling to risk missing the execution when it finally came. Up close and personal. That was Shippo's new modus operandi. The anticipation alone had given him so much pleasure that he was finally starting to feel sorry for Inu Yasha.

Why had he been fool enough to think that Shippo might tell her? No fucking way. He was way too smart to be the messenger with this particular message. She might fucking kill him just for practice. Nope. Shippo was going to be in his very own front row, ringside seat. Cheering her on. Consoling her with his friendship, consoling her with his false surprise. Commiserating with her on how much she had been wronged. And Sango. Damn. When Sango found out he was gonna be dead twice. He couldn't even imagine what kind of a curse she'd convince Miroku to put on him. He was so nervous about what Miroku might do that he had actually tried to put together a double date with them. Seemed like a good idea to do a little male bonding, try to soften the blow.

But Kagome wouldn't hear of it. She was in the middle of a murder investigation. And she was always a madwoman when she couldn't get it figured out. She was just as stumped as Yash, but a lot more irritable. She wasn't feeling very well. What a surprise. And whose fault was that? His timing might have been good from a biology standpoint, but it sucked big time from a practical standpoint.

She was working crazy hours, getting little sleep, feeling lousy, and taking it out on everyone. Well, everyone but him. He was very solicitous and kept trying to take good care of her. She was glad to smile at him and tell him how sweet his efforts were. She thought it was the flu, and would be gone soon. God, she was gonna beat the shit out of him. Just to see how much he could take before she really got mad.

And that little shit Shippo. He must be a real sadist under that warm fluffy exterior. He had not said a word to Kagome, but everyone else in the precinct knew. There were at least 3 betting pools that he knew about. One for the day she found out she was pregnant. One for the baby's birthday. One for the baby's sex. No pool was needed for his death day; everyone assumed it would be the day Kagome got the good news. Besides, no one would let him bet anyway. They just kept buying him drinks at Badgers and congratulating him on his impending fatherhood. And then they'd throw in some lame ass remark about how they'd be glad to tell the kid about what a great guy he'd been. Or just a lot of snickering. He'd stopped going to Badgers.

Kagome was such a witch at work it was a miracle no one had smacked her. But they were all in on the big secret, so they just smiled and calmly inquired after her health, treating her like the precious little mother-to-be she didn't know she was yet. There would be no place in the universe that would hold his pitiful pelt when the day of reckoning came. Maybe he should tell her himself? Nope. He wasn't that brave.

If I solve the murder for her, maybe she'll let me live. If I solve if for her and give her the credit maybe she'll let me have visiting privileges. Right now he couldn't think of any reasonable scenario which led to that sweet happy-ever-after he'd been envisioning the last time he'd held her in his embrace. He'd hardly seen her since then. She was completely consumed with the investigation. She seldom took his calls and never called him back. She would look up if he came to see her, and then wave him away with promises of private dinners after the case was solved. It was beginning to look like he'd be toast before then.

Enough! I've got to put it out of my mind and work on this case. I know I'm missing something and it's something important. I'm going back to square one. He went back to the house and got on line. Sango would help him. She'd hate him later but she'd help him now.

"Yo, how 'bout if I buy you and Krista a drink after work?"

"You're still alive? I heard a rumor you were dead. What's up?"

"You're kidding right? Just busting my head on this case."

"Right. Krista and I will meet you - want us to come to Badgers?"

Sure, and I'll have a root canal on my fangs while I'm at it.

"Too noisy. How about Selene's? Just around the block from you."

"What's it worth to you?"

"I've got the B-ball tickets you wanted - good enough?"

"See ya at 5:30 bub. Are they good tickets?"

"You'll be able to count Jack Nicholson's nose hairs."

"My life-long dream come true. Later."

At least Sango didn't know yet. He went over his file for the 400th time and found nothing new. It was time to go meet Sango, so he went out to get the Jag.

He was gonna be late. There on his doorstep was her very own true love, Miroku. He had his staff with him. This was not an encouraging sign.

"May I have a word, Inu Yasha?"

"This couldn't possibly wait until later, could it? Like my next lifetime?"

"That might not be very long, ne?"

"Come in, Miroku. Can you give me last rites while you're here? I doubt they will find enough of me for an actual burial."

"Care for a suggestion, Yash?"

"I'm up for anything short of strychnine. I figure she deserves the chance to do me herself."

"Tell her. Now. Before she finds out from anyone else. It's only a matter of time before someone slips and tells her. It'll be bad, but not as bad as if she hears it from someone else. Think about how she's going to feel, Yash. Everyone knowing but her. Spare her the embarrassment of hearing it from someone else. She loves you, Yash. Don't you want her to forgive you … eventually?"

"You think she loves me? I really don't know…she's never actually admitted it."

"Think about it. Did she ever sleep with anyone else? She has things she wants to do in her life, and she's not sure she can do them with you in the picture. But you're the only serious relationship she's ever had. Don't you think that's by choice?"

"Who told you? Does Sango know?"

"Shippo. And no. But I'll tell her tonight when I see her. Unlike some dog demons, I don't keep important information from the woman I love."

"Thanks, gotta run. I'll think about what you said. Later."

He drove to meet Sango and Krista like the proverbial bat out of hell. He couldn't believe Miroku had suggested he tell her. Was it possible that guy was serious? He'd think about it after he met the girls for a drink. They were waiting, and none too patiently.

"Sorry ladies, you know how traffic can be. Hope you haven't been waiting long?"

"After a day like today we needed a drink, otherwise we would have split 20 minutes ago, you jerk. So what's your problem? But get us another drink before you get too comfy."

"From your lips to my ears, babe. Back in a flash."

Sango and Krista were both pretty mellow after another drink. The company had hired a consultant to review the claims process and that meant lots of ass kissing on their part. They weren't paying the consultant the big bucks to go back and tell them everything was just peachy. Heads were gonna roll. Inu Yasha thought that maybe he could be a consultant when this was over. That was a job he could do without the use of his limbs. Or mind, either.

"I'm stumped about the Naguashi murder. So are the police. I'm trying to go back over everything one more time; just to be sure I haven't missed anything important. That's where you come in, Krista. Could you please tell me about the Naguashi policy one more time? In excruciating detail, please. I'm all ears."

Sango giggled at this. He knew she was imagining his ears twitching under his hat. One more drink and she might not hate him. Who was he kidding? She'd hold him down by those ears so Kagome could kick him. But Krista was telling her lovely tale of sexual expectation denied.

"So, I gave him the insurance application to sign, got his signature, and left. Then I went back to the office and read the riot act to that asshole agent, my former boss. You know, the crook that assured the clueless son that the insurance was on dear old dad, not him. Idiot son didn't know you don't take a blood test and give us a specimen unless we're gonna insure you."

"And where was this lunch with Daddy dearest?"

"Alfredo's, just about a half a mile from here. You know it?"

"Yeah, Sango and I have been there for business dinners. And where is this bad ass agent's office?"

"Here." And she pointed back towards the office where she and Sango worked. "He's a big shot. The company gives him office space. That's how come the son could do his physical stuff the same time he signed. And that's how I knew about my new job with Sango. I spent more time searching their job post boards for a new position than I did answering the jerk's phone."

"But wasn't he a big shot agent? Busy with lots of clients?"

"A legend in his own mind, Yash. I only saw a few clients during the three months I worked for him."

"How about mail? Lots of applications? Client contact. What?"

"Lots of birthday cards. Most to Asian immigrants, of course. A few apps. I asked him once why there weren't more. He told me he turned most of them in himself, since it was just a couple of floors up."

"Why immigrants? What was this guys name?"

"Most of his client base was focused on immigrants, mostly Asian. A lot of Vietnamese, I think. And his name was Onigumo."

"Krista, you're a life saver! Can you get a copy of Onigumo's client list? With policy numbers, if possible?"

"No problem, I've got a copy on a disk at my desk. Always have the goods on any sleezebag, I say."

"Sango - whatever you do, don't hate me tomorrow. I can solve this thing if you'll help me. Pull up all of Onigumo's policies for the last year. Also pull up all of the policies issued by underwriting with his agent number posted. Go at it from both systems. If you can't compare the two files electronically, you and Krista do it manually - and don't look at me like that. Then compare it with Krista's disk. I think you'll be surprised at the results. Make hard copies of everything, and bring all copies of them to my office. Give me a call, outside of the building, and I'll meet you there.

"Don't let Onigumo know what you are working on, and don't let any of the underwriters or financial folks know what you're doing, either. In fact, don't let anyone know what you are working on. It could be dangerous for you if anyone else knows. That's why it has to be you and Krista or a program you write to do the comparison. In fact, don't take any chances, get the printouts and do the comparisons in my office. I think I know what the results will be, but we need the proof and as soon as they know we are looking, that proof will disappear. Get a list of all the underwriters with their codes so we can tell whom he's working with. And double check for involvement from the finance department. Say it's a job for the consultant and keep it a total secret. We have to do it tomorrow.

"So don't hate me tomorrow. After tomorrow you can hate me for all eternity. Here are the tickets, and here's money for the check, don't drive, you've both had too much to drink. Gotta run! Miroku's right, I've gotta tell Kagome. Later, Sango. And thanks."

He ran out of the bar and decided it would be quicker to walk to the precinct than to try to drive the Jag at this time of day. Miroku was right. She might get over it if she heard it from him. If she didn't, he might never see her again. Or his child.

Shippo had been waiting for exactly the right day for this suggestion. It couldn't be too soon, but he couldn't wait forever. The anticipation was killing him. He'd tried to postpone it a little more by telling Miroku. But there was only so much vicarious pleasure one fox demon could take. Then he just had to have the real deal. And he had to be certain he was there to see it all. Inu Yasha was right; he was actually feeling sorry for him. He wouldn't wish Kagome's hatred on anyone, especially not her chosen mate. But Inu Yasha had brought this on himself by not letting Kagome make that choice. Shippo felt sorry for him, but not sorry enough to delay the inevitable.

Kagome was going over the porno reports one more time. Shippo knew the contents by heart. He had written the report and he had visited each and every porno magazine and video joint in LA. Then he had talked to every last one of the seedy operators and tracked down every porn shoot he could find. And he really believed he had found each and every one. And that was a whole lot of porn for one little naive fox demon. He was beginning to wonder if he was scared for life. He would certainly never look at women the same way. Or men either, for that matter.

He remembered his embarrassment when he had to ask Kagome if he needed to track down all of the demon porn shoots, too. He hadn't even known there were demon porn pix and flix until he started down this long lonely crooked road of porn. She took one look at his forlorn face and told him, "No. Not necessary, Shippo. Just the human ones for this case. But save your notes. You never know what will find it's way to your desk in homicide."

She had stopped short in her tracks this afternoon. It was almost four o'clock and she had just about finished re-reading the report. She exhaled deeply and put her head down on her desk. Then she just kind of sighed and closed her eyes for a few minutes.

"You know, Kagome, it's probably just the flu, but it's been quite a few days now, why don't you give your doctor a call? Maybe they can give you something to make you feel better." He said this while wearing his most innocent slight smile. He should know. He'd practiced it at least a million times in front of the mirror during the last two weeks.

"Maybe I will, Shippo. I just don't feel any better and this case is driving me crazy." She was bagged: hook, line and sinker. Bring on the popcorn.

She called her doctor's office and they insisted she come by to see the doctor, just to be sure, before they would prescribe anything. Fortunately, they had a cancellation and she could get in right away. She grabbed her purse and told Shippo she'd probably be back by 7, allowing time for traffic, stopping at the pharmacy, etc.

"I'm taking my cell, so you can call if there's an emergency. Otherwise, take care of everything, will you? I'm beat."

"No problem, Kagome. Happy to help." And as she got on the elevator, he couldn't help adding. "B'Bye, Inu Yasha. Don't forget to write."

Inu Yasha got to the precinct at about 6:45. He felt sure Kagome would still be there. He knew if he had just figured out a piece of this puzzle, she probably didn't know yet. He walked up the four flights of steps. He just didn't want to see any of those smug assholes she worked with on the elevator. He had to keep his concentration, not to mention his nerve.

He was going to tell her. He would take her out of here and tell her in private if he could convince her to go. If not, he'd tell her right here in front of God, Shippo and everyone. He knew it was better than the alternative.

She wasn't in her office. But nearly everyone else was still there. Not totally unexpected for a group deep into a homicide, but a little too convenient. No one had gone home early? No one had to feed the cat, pick up the kids? No leads to check? No question, there was something amiss in this precinct. A few of the guys had said hello when he came in, but no one had made any smart remarks, or even really smirked at him. They seemed genuinely surprised to see him. It wasn't that they made him feel unwelcome, exactly. But there was so much tension in the air he couldn't help but feel it, even in his own agitated state. Maybe he was projecting his own anxiety onto them? Could that be it? He couldn't remember ever being this nervous.

Shippo told him to go ahead and wait; he was expecting Kagome back shortly. Now Shippo looked as smug as could be. He was just waiting for the big day. And it couldn't come soon enough to suit him. Patience, little fox demon, all in good time.

Inu Yasha waited in Kagome's office. He looked out her window. He read everything on top of her desk. (He was still a private dick after all.) He compared everything he knew about the case with her files. They had both covered most of the same ground. He already knew that from Shippo. Where was she? The waiting was wearing down his nerve.

He stood up and walked around her desk. He sat in the 'guest' chair and watched for the elevator doors to open.

And then they did.