InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Remember You Forever ❯ Crime and Punishment ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: A new story, a new disclaimer, a new way to tell the world that I don't own Inu-Yasha.

Author's Note: (Hiya guys! The original author's note was pretty important, so I think I'll keep it the same this chapter. ^_^)

Now, I've got a few things to say before we kick this off.

One, I'd like to thank my friend Emmy-chan for helping me with a few ideas for this fic, and helping me sort everything out. Arigotu! ^_~

Two, this is going to be relatively short- around ten (long) chapters, all right? I'll try to make it longer, I'm just sayin', at the moment. . .

Three, this is going to be a romance/drama. This means there WILL be drama, and I would really appreciate if I don't get killed/flamed for it. Besides, everyone knows me, and knows that there will be LOTS of fluff too, so things will balance each other out, okay? Okay.

Four, I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AGAINST THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED. They're brilliant, sweet, caring people! I'm just trying to keep Inu-Yasha in character in this story. All right?

And finally, I'm gonna try something new- this fic is going to be done in people's PoV. All right?

Okay! I think that's it! Thanks to everyone who has come to read this fic, especially those who have read my other fics! I really appreciate the way you continue to read my stories! Arigotu!

Here we go!

~*~

~Chapter One: Crime and Punishment~

~Inu-Yasha's PoV~

I stifle a yawn as I prop my feet up on the edge of the principal's desk. Hedmistress Kaede shoots me a deadly glare as I do so, but I don't pay her any attention. So what? I'm already in trouble.

Big whoop.

"Hedmistress Kaede," my friend- and `partner in crime'- Miroku says smoothly, "we really didn't mean to cause any trouble. It was only a SMALL explosion after all. And all those spray paint cans you found in our lockers- I swear, I never knew they were there! We must have been set up! Right, Inu-Yasha?"

He turns his purple-hued irises towards me and graces me a stare that clearly says: `back me up here, you idiot!'

An idiot, am I. . . ? Glancing blankly from my friend to Kaede, I flick a lock of my long charcoal hair over my shoulder. "What?"

Ha, that showed him. Who's the idiot now?!

Miroku gives me an exasperated look before turning nervously back to our headmistress. Huh. Still me, evidently. "Er- that means he agrees. You know Inu-Yasha. A little weird in the head!" He emits a nervous laugh and raps on my forehead with a fist as I growl softly. "Just a big puppy dog, though, inside. . ."

Kaede makes no move during Miroku's entire speech and cracks not one smile. She just sits there at her desk- ignoring my boot-covered feet- and glares at us from over her steepled fingers.

Finally, she speaks, acting as if she is the voice of God or something.

"I have done my very best with you two," she begins calmly, gazing coolly at us each in turn, "You both have tested the limits of my patience. I have tried to be fair; I have tried to be understanding. But you have both just CROSSED THE LINE."

Miroku jumps slightly at the sudden raising of her voice, but I don't even wince. Instead I keep total eye contact with the old woman and stand my ground.

Or continue sitting in my chair.

Whatever.

"What were you DOING, playing with the chemicals labeled as toxic and dangerous without the teacher in the room?!" she screams, suddenly leaping to her feet and pounding the tabletop with a fist. "Of all the STUPID things you've done- The brawls, the language- defacing public property- - -You've never done anything that endangered so many lives! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!"

Miroku opens his mouth to answer, but I interrupt. "We were thinking about how we could use those chemicals to create and plant small explosives outside the school grounds, in hopes of blowing up a pedestrian," I drawl, ignoring the icy glare my friend is giving me. "Oh, and the spray paint was for the bathrooms."

"Once again," Miroku adds weakly, running a hand over his face as he limply slides down his seat. "It wasn't a BIG explosion. . ."

Kaede sucks in her cheeks- her face paling. And when she finally speaks again, her voice is low and trembles slightly.

"This. . .this is the last straw. Inu-Yasha, Miroku, unless you'd like to find yourselves in Juvenile Hall, I'd SHAPE UP. And you better believe that you are going to be SERIOUSLY punished for this!"

Miroku shifts uncomfortably as I stifle another yawn. I wonder if anyone around here has a cigarette I could bum. . . ?

"You will both volunteer your afternoons, weekends, and holidays working at Goshinbuko Clinic, the hospital for the challenged down the street," Kaede explains, her cool stature returning as she straightens her dress suit lapel and eases herself once more into her armchair.

This catches my attention like nothing else so far has.

"WHAT?!" I cry, jumping to my feet so quickly that my seat is almost knocked to the ground. "Give ALL our free time to some handicapped morons?!"

"UNLESS YOU'D PREFER TO JUVENILE HALL?!" she threatens loudly, glaring at me from over the rim of her glasses. "I shall be contacting your parents to inform them of the situation either way, Inu-Yasha!"

I snarl to myself as I stiffly flop down again. "I'll do it," I growl under my breath.

Miroku nods silently, avoiding the headmistress's eyes. "Me too."

"Good," she sniffs, picking up a pen. "Now, to your classes, and report to the hospital directly after school. I know a student who works there and she will inform me if you arrive or not. And believe me," she adds in poisoned afterthought, "show up or you'll wish you had."

With a final glare she shoos us away, into the empty linoleum hallway, slamming the door behind us.

And as that door slams, Miroku rounds on me.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" he hisses as we make out way down the long, freakishly white halls. "We didn't want to kill a pedestrian, you liar- we just wanted to cause a little ruckus in the cafeteria today! You knew that! "

"It's the same difference," I mutter, still ticked off about the whole punishment thing. "Hey- you got a cigarette?"

"I quit two years ago, you know that."

"Dammit."

*

Later that afternoon, after the hellhole known as High School ended for the day, Miroku and I made our way silently towards the retard hospital- his nose in some manga and a smoke finally between my fingers.

"This is so damn stupid," I complain, watching a few red fall leaves float past us on the breeze. It's a great day- the sky is blue and the air is crisp. On our left, multi-colored trees line the path, rustling in the wind; and to the right, cars zoom past us on the road.

"You're telling me?" my friend responds dully, turning the page of his graphic novel. Leaning foreword a bit, I catch the title as I flick some ashes into the grass. "Make-Out Paradise". Figures. "This and the five slaps I received during school has made this a pretty sucky day."

I arch an eyebrow as we near the large, cream-colored cement, 4-story building. "Only five?"

"I was slightly depressed today, and my heart just wasn't in my groping," he sighs dramatically, snapping the book shut and cramming it into his shoulder bag. "Oh well. Perhaps a lovely little nurse will walk by at the clinic and cure me of my heartache. . ."

"One, the only thing a nurse would cure *you* of is the bruises you get from those girls at school. Secondly, this is a hospital for the `challenged' AKA the insane- not the injured. Though now that I think of it, you *are* insane. . ."

Miroku sighs again, this time more deeply as he stuffs his hands in his pockets- ignoring my insult- and begins to walk up the small flight of stairs to the entrance of the clinic. "Killjoy."

"Whatever," I snort as I take a drag from my cigarette, pulling the heavy glass door open with a roll of my eyes.

With that, we stroll towards the front desk the same way one would stroll towards the gallows.

The clinic is a `cheerful' place, to say the very, very, very least. It was so white it almost hurts your eyes- while putting the school hallways to shame; and everything is made of shiny aluminum. Empty plastic chairs line the far wall, where teeny tiny windows let in teeny tiny bits of autumn sunshine. Over to the far left, opposite of the large metal reference desk, is an elevator and one leafy green fern. Fake, of course.

The lady at the reference desk glances up as we approach, tapping a few papers into a neat pile. "Oh, you must be the two boys Headmistress Kaede sent to help for the rest of the year."

"Yes," we reply in dull monotone.

"Hmm. . ." she murmurs thoughtfully as she pulls out a drawer in the metal cabinet and begins rifles through a few file folders. "Well, we could use two helpers on the mentally challenged level. . . Floor two. Talk to Sango- she's the only nurse up there."

Nodding without really thinking about it, we trudge to the elevator and enter, pressing the button to take us to the second floor without a thought.

"Well," I state dryly as the elevator dings and opens at our destination, "let the fun begin."

That said, Miroku and I step out into the hall of the mentally challenged floor and glance around. Not very unique- It looks more or less like every other hospital I've seen (which, considering all the fights I've been in, IS saying something). But at least it is slightly brighter then the first floor- more greenery to decorate the long, pale halls which are adorned with identical wooden doors.

"Kinda like ER," Miroku comments cheerfully as we begin to wander around, looking for this Sango girl.

"Except there's no blood, no screaming, and no action," I reply flatly, blowing out a puff of smoke with a sulk as we walk.

My friend sighs. "You could be a little more cheerful. . ."

"Why are YOU so cheerful?!" I cry, sounding appalled. "What reason could you possibly have to be happy right now?!"

"Well, there's a reason," he smirks, pointing towards a girl a little ways off who has just emerged from one of the patients room with a tiny grin. She is dressed in a candy stripper's outfit, but wears a nurse's cap. She seems to be the only sort of authority on this quiet floor.

"Hello," she waves cheerfully as she notices our presence, sounding a bit surprised. Walking up and stopping a few feet ahead of us, she smiles. "How can I help you?"

"I seem to be suffering from a broken heart," Miroku replies mournfully, taking the girl's hand and kneeling in front of her before I can say anything. "Can you cure me, sweet heavenly nurse?"

She blinks blankly down at him, confusion sketched all over her face until I notice my friend's hand moving.

For a moment I think all hell broke loose.

"YOU PERVERT!" the girl screams, instinctively kicking Miroku half way down the hall as she retracts her hand, horrified. For a nurse, she had some damn good moves.

Watching with amusement as she re-bands her lengthy chestnut hair, I do a small double take as she fixes her chocolate glare upon me. "And what do YOU want?!"

Oh, yeah. Clearing my throat and removing my smoke with two fingers, I explain: "Hi. We were sent up here by the old woman downstairs to help you. We'll be here for the rest of the school year. Are you Sango?"

"The one and only!" she smiles, cheering up on the spot as she shakes my empty hand. "I really need some helpers! It's so nice of you to volunteer!"

"We didn't," I reply shortly, ripping my limb away in mild disgust. "It's a punishment."

Sango's face darkens a little. "Huh? I don't unders- - - Wait. . .I recognize you! You're that bastard Inu-Yasha!"

"The one and only," I drone mockingly with a smirk, placing my cigarette back between my lips.

She instantly takes a step back, seemingly oblivious to my growing pride at being recognized. "You and that Miroku creep that I just beat the shit out of- you two are the ones that blew up the chemistry lab!"

"It was only a SMALL explosion!" Miroku insists, crawling over again and slowly regaining his breath.

"You go to our school?" I frown, quirking an eyebrow. Never seen her before. . .

"Yeah. This is just a job I have in the afternoons, over holidays, and. . .well, any time I'm not in school." I guess this was the bitch Kaede was talking about, then. . .

She fixes us with a wary gaze. "Well, let me show you around." She begins to turn on her heel, as if to walk off, and then stops- whirling back around and sticking her hand out.

". . . What?" I question, staring dully at the expectant palm before my face.

"The smoke. Out with it," she demands with a fiery stare. "And no more while you're in here."

"But- - -!" I begin to protest, but she only narrows her eyes- unspoken warnings glittering inside them. "Fine. . ." I snarl grudgingly, spitting the thing into her hand. "Choke on it."

"Screw you," she huffs under her breath, tossing it into the nearest garbage can as we all begin to stalk off.

"Screw me, too?" Miroku asks hopefully, sidling up behind her.


"SHUT UP."

He does.

*

We were given the extensive and complete tour of the mentally challenged ward. It included a showing of the small cafeteria, the TV room, the play room, Sango's office, and the small classroom for the student level patients. But I noticed there was one crucial thing missing in the classroom- a teacher.

"Who teaches the patients?" I inquire as we exit the room, looking around for another adult. Still none to be found.

"I do," she replies calmly, as if it was nothing.

So Sango's the nurse and the teacher.

And, I soon learn, the cook, janitor, and guidance councilor.

I can't help but be impressed- even if I am still ticked at her.

She smiles at my hidden astonishment. "When they built an extension on this floor, they had to get rid of just about everyone. . . So, I do it all."

"How the hell do you do all that and still find time for homework, friends- breathing?!" I ask in disbelief.

She lets out a small laugh. "The teachers at school are pretty lenient about my homework since they know what I'm doing. They even let me leave at noon so I can come and make lunch for the patients. And all my friends live here!" she beams, waving her hand around at the doors lining the halls. "They're all really very nice."

"They're mental," I shrug, blindly jabbing a tender nerve with a pitchfork.

"No they're not! They just need a little extra help and attention!" Sango snarls, giving me the evil eye. She is very good at that. . .

"Don't mind Inu-Yasha and his crude thoughts, my dear," Miroku soothes, patting the nurses- well. . .

"STOP IT!" the girl screams, knocking him out once again.

I sigh in exasperation as Sango rounds on me.

"All right. Get an apron from my office. Then I'd like you to go around to each of the room as collect the trash," the nurse commands, handing me a large, plastic bag from her apron pocket.

"Yes, master," I grumble quietly as I turn away.

"What was that?!"

"I said `yes'! God!"

With that, I storm off to Sango's office and grab the last apron- which, just my luck, is pink.

"Wonderful," I growl under my breath, heading towards the first god-forsaken door. "Just wonderful."

*

By the time I reach the last room, I'm tired, smelly, and irritated.

Not a good combo.

Pushing open the door, I walk into a now familiarly designed room- all the rooms look the same, after all. Vanilla walls, tan carpets, a window with a window seat, quilt covered bed, wastebasket, and plastic fern in the corner. Then there are the random things that the patients tend to add to their rooms- desks and bedside tables, clocks and posters- all of which, I notice, this patient has chosen to throw in.

It's not bad for a hospital room, but still pretty boring.

As I enter the room, its inhabitant turns to look at me from her spot on the window seat, fluttering her glossy lashes in surprise.

`Oh great,' I think dryly as she does so. `Here we go again.' Another clingy, weird, whacked-out imbecile, ready pester me with incoherent questions until I have to all but tie them to their God damn bed to make them shut up. `Just get it over with now, Lord!'

But- to my shock- when she speaks to me, she doesn't gurgle or mutter or stare with a spaced out gaze.

She just- speaks.


Normally.

"Wow. Pink it totally your color," she giggles lightly, smoothing out her green skirt and snuggling into her matching sweater as she leans against the window; arms crossed over her torso.

Though surprised by her normal-ness, I just grumble a response.

"Oh, and perky to boot!" she smiles in a teasing fashion. "My kind of man."

"Will you shut up?" I bark, doubled over like the hunchback as I stretch for her garbage- which, I might add, has been conveniently stashed behind a hard-to-reach-under table. "This has not been my day."

"My heart bleeds for you," the girl smirks wryly, swinging her slipper-covered feet nonchalantly. "So who are you, anyway? I haven't seen you around."

"Of course you haven't, I'm new here. But unfortunately, you'll be seeing me often- at least until the end of the year," I grunt, dumping the contents of her wastebasket into my full garbage bag.

"Well, then, will you tell me your name?" she asks politely, getting off the window seat and walking a little closer as she cocks her head.

"Inu-Yasha," I snap, glancing at her from the corner of my eye.

. . .

She's actually quite pretty. Not at all like those other patients, who look just as retarded as they act. With long locks of wavy ebony hair that tumble to her mid back, bright azure eyes and full, soft pink lips, even I have to admit she's cute.

"Well, my name's Kagome," she grins, holding out her hand.

"Nice," I retort tartly, bluntly ignoring her extended limb and instead returning her trash can to its previous position.

"You're polite. Anyone ever tell you that?" she comments dryly, raising an eyebrow as she lowers her hand.

"Yeah. And they usually end it with `Look! A flying pig!'" I respond, straightening up and grabbing the garbage bag.

She simply laughs at my sarcasm and says rather shyly, "Well, I'm glad you'll be around, Inu-Yasha. It'll be nice to have someone to talk to."

At this I grace her with a nonplussed expression. "Why don't you act like all the other patients here?"

Kagome shrugs. "Dunno," she chirps, stifling a yawn. "Anyway, I'm kinda sleepy. I'll talk to you later?"

"Maybe," I mutter as she climbs into bed, tugging the blankets to her chin as she watches me with half-lidded eyes. `Not.'

"Goodbye, Inu-Yasha," she murmurs as I leave. "I'll remember you forever."

I'll remember you. . . forever. . . ?

This strikes me as an odd thing to say to someone, and so I turn to ask her about it-

But she's already asleep.

Shrugging it off, I shoulder the bag of trash and make my way to dump it.

*

"Done," I tell Sango in monotone as I approach her in the halls, my arms crossed.

"Would you like a smiley face sticker?" she drawls dryly as she jots something down on her clipboard, not once looking up.

"No, I was just informing you," I defend lightly, waving my hands as I silently grind my molars together. I don't know HOW I'm going to stand working with her. . .

"Mhm. . ." she mutters to herself as she begins to stroll down the hall, deep in thought.

I notice she's heading towards Kagome's room.

Kagome. . .

That girl really is weird. . .

Why the heck is she at a mental hospital when she's normal?

"Hey, Sango?" I call before I can stop myself, catching up with the nurse within seconds. "You know Kagome?"

"Kagome Higurashi? Yeah, duh. She's a patient here, isn't she?" She rolls her eyes and plants a fist on her hip, looking a bit impatient.

"Yeah well, why the hell is she here?" I ask, getting right to the point. "She's as normal- as sane- as you or I."

Sango says nothing for a moment- only gives a start and drops her hand- - -and then-

"Come with me."

Quirking an eyebrow I do as she commands, walking with her into Kagome's room.

*

Kagome's still asleep, peacefully sprawled on her mattress as her silky midnight locks pool up underneath her head. She looks very comfortable, but the nurse ignores this fact- instantly concentrating her energy on trying to wake her. "Kagome," Sango whispers softly into the girl's ear, shaking her gently. "It's time to get up."

"Nnn. . ." the girl groans, rolling over before opening her bleary eyes. She then blinks once or twice, working the sleep from them as she sits up, stretches, and shares with Sango and I a pleasant smile.

"Hello! And who are you?" she beams happily.

. . . Huh?

I stare blankly from Kagome to Sango as the ebony hared girl cocks her head, innocently curious.

"Kagome? Don't you remember me?" I ask slowly, disbelief evident in my voice.

She gives me a confused, slightly sad look. "No, I'm sorry. . . Should I?"

The hell- - - ? "But- I just talked to you just a little while ago!" What the heck is going on?!

"Did you? I don't remember that. . ." Kagome bites her lip, scrunching up her brow as she looks towards Sango. "Excuse me, miss, I don't mean to be rude but- do you happen to know when dinner is?"

"It'll be in a little while, Kagome," Sango smiles gently.

"Thanks! I really- - - wait. How do you two know my name?" the teen questions, slowly getting to her feet with a bewildered expression. "Have I met you before?"

I stare numbly at the girl, unsure of what to say or how to act.

"Maybe," Sango shrugs in a calm, relaxed fashion- as if this is an every day occurrence. "Small world, you know? Anyway, why don't you watch the autumn leaves till then? They're quite pretty today. I'll get you for supper."

"Okay!" Kagome bubbles with a beam. "I love the autumn, but spring's better. I adore flowers. Hope spring comes soon. . ."

"It will in time," the nurse coos gently. "I'll talk to you later, all right, Kagome?"

"Sure," the girl grins back as the brown haired teen grabs my arm. "I'll look forward to it."

"I'll explain outside," Sango whispers hurriedly before tugging me to the door. I'm still gaping like a fish.

"Good bye," Kagome calls over her shoulder as we leave the room. "I'll remember you forever."

I can only mouth wordlessly as I am dragged into the hall, struck by the irony of the blue-eyed girl's words.

~*~

There ya go! Chapter one!

Now, as I said before:

I HAVE ABSOLUTLY NOTHING AGAINST THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED, OR HANDICAPPED OF ANY SORT. They are all wonderful, kind, intelligent people- I'm just trying to keep Inu-Yasha in character! Okay?

I hope everyone enjoyed! (Remembering to write in present tense is hard! ^_^;;; I hope this chapter was good. . .)

Anyway, this'll be updated soon, I hope- still have to re-read edit/change/blah blah blah the next few chappies, but it'll be done soon, I'm sure. ^_^

Please R&R!

Ja ne!