InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Remember You Forever ❯ Forgotten Memories ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu-Yasha. That lucky privilege goes to the gifted and talented Rimiko Takahashi.

Author's Note: Hiya! Here I am, back with the second corrected/edited/revised chapter! One or two repeated questions that I'll answer from the first time I posted this:

One- One of my brothers is educationally/emotionally challenged, so no- I SWEAR I have absolutely NOTHING against those with mental problems. Once again, I was just trying to put Inu-chan in character.

Two- I was inspired for this idea by the green house and elephants of the Chicago Zoo. More recently a movie called '50 First Dates' has come out, so I'm sure many of you believe I got this idea from that- let me tell you in a very emphatic way- NO. This story was originally FINISHED, like, 9 months before I even saw TRAILERS for that movie. I was really mad when I saw those trailers, by the way- and I have firmly sworn never to watch that movie in my life. (Not like I'm missing anything, I've heard. My friends all told me it sucks.)

Three- Uhh. . . Actually, I think that's it! ^_~ Please enjoy!


~*~

~Chapter Two: Forgotten Memories~

~Sango's PoV~

I silently drag a stunned Inu-Yasha out of Kagome's room and down the hall towards my office, ignoring him as he mouths wordlessly. He seems utterly horrified; eyes as big as dinner plates. Though I guess I don't really blame him for reacting like this- Kagome's probably really is so. . . so. . .

I sigh as I shut the door to my office behind us, ignoring Miroku as he runs by, one of the patients in toe- trying to put a bow around his small pony tail.

Turning to Inu-Yasha, I gesture to a metal chair and step behind my small metal desk. Metal, metal, and more metal, I know- One of these days I'm going to add a personal touch to this room, but that's not the matter at hand at the moment.

Inu-Yasha, still a bit shaky and oddly quiet, sits down and stares blankly at me.

A moment of silence passes. Then-

"What the hell is wrong with her?" the boy asks slowly, hands clenched on the arm wrests as his lavender eyes pierce my brown ones. "I swear- I talked to her just a little whi-"

"I'm sure you did," I assure in a strangely gentle tone. "I talk to her every day, and you saw the way she `recognized' me."

"So then, what's with her?" Inu-Yasha presses; voice growing louder and louder as he crosses his arms and gives me a rude glare- waiting impatiently for my reply. I blow out my cheeks in response and sit myself, still keeping eye contact with the boy. He arches an eyebrow as I do so, expecting a bit more of an answer.

"Kagome's a fairly new patient. Around a month ago, on her fifteenth birthday, she was playing in her family's well house with her brother and her cat. She lived in a shrine," I embellish when given a blank stare from Inu-Yasha. "Anyway, while they were goofing around, her brother began to torment her with a bug he had found- a centipede, I think it was. Well, she's got a fear of bugs and began to back away. He teased, she continued to step back, until she tripped and fell head first into the dry well in the well house."

Inu-Yasha continued to watch me, expressionless. "So what's that got to do with anything?"

I give him a withering look before continuing. "The fall knocked something loose in her head. Her memory's permanently damaged. Currently, she can still remember most things about her life and herself- her name, favorite things, education- but every time she falls asleep things seem to disintegrate. So far it's mostly just the people around her she can't remember, but eventually she'll forget everything- how to walk, talk, eat, drink. . . and then she'll die."

A long silence follows my little speech. I can't help but think that, if this was a movie, dramatic music would most definitely be playing in the background. I wish life were like a movie, sometimes. . .

"Then why," Inu-Yasha begins slowly, processing all of this, "isn't she in a REAL hospital instead of this nut house?!"

"Because there's nothing they can do for her!" I snap, annoyed at his attitude towards things he doesn't understand. "The doctors insisted that since it was a problem in her head, it would be listed as a mental deficiency and they sent her here!"

"How fast is her memory disappearing?" he inquires a moment later, his voice and glare cool as he crosses one leg over his knee cap, jiggling his foot to some unheard beat.

"Like I said: It seems as if a little chunk of it goes away ever time she falls asleep- but eventually it will just. . . just go up in smoke," I reply wearily, leaning back in my chair and raking a troubled hand through my hair. I can't stand even thinking about it. . . Kagome is my best friend in this place- she really listens. She really cares. Cares about all my problems at school and at home. . . and Kohaku. . .

And she's dying.

No matter how I try and sugar coat the facts- she's just plain dying.

Inu-Yasha seems deep in thought himself, his brow furrowed and his eyes slightly glazed. It almost looks like he cares about her fate. . .

The thought touches me and humors me all at once.

Touches me because it would be so sweet- Humors me because it's so unlikely. But these musings cause an idea strikes me that I cannot ignore.

"All right, Inu-Yasha," I say calmly, smiling- almost smirking- at him. "Since you care so much about Kagome, I have a new job for you for the rest of the year."

He snaps his head up to look at me, an argument on his lips-

I cut him off.

"Instead of being the garbage boy, you will be Kagome's helper. You will spend all your time with her, keeping her company. Maybe you can jog her memory and cure her."

"What?!" he barks, shaking a fist at me. "I don't want to spend all my time with that b-!"

"Would you prefer to get more aquatinted with the garbage, then?"

He sucks in his cheeks and shuts up.

"Right," I smile perkily as I stand. "You'll start your new job tomorrow- I'll just assign Miroku to the garbage."

"What the hell *is* Miroku doing, anyway?" Inu-Yasha complains darkly as we exit my office.

"Playing with the children," I smile evilly as Miroku bolts past again, still fleeing from the ribbon.

*

Later that night, I'm leading Kagome back from the cafeteria while Miroku and Inu-Yasha clean up dinner. It's nice to get away from the dumb and dumber for a bit. . . It would be better, though, if the conversation wasn't ON dumb and dumber.

"Those boys were nice," Kagome comments cheerfully, smiling at me as I lead her to her room. "Especially that one with the long black hair- the one that was in my room earlier?"

"How can you think he's nice?!" I can't help but scoff. "He called you wench, spilt your food, and swore every other sentence! He's a trouble maker and will most likely end up in jail."

"But he was trying tonight," Kagome replied softly. "He was just frustrated. Besides, `wench' is better then some of the other pet names he has for the patients!"

I chuckle as she laughs, sweet smile on her face. And then another thought strikes me.

Maybe. . .

Even if Inu-Yasha can't save Kagome-

Kagome can save Inu-Yasha.

*

"Where'd you go?" Inu-Yasha snarls as I return to the messy kitchen, where the two boys are currently trying to turn on the sink. I don't think I've ever seen a pair of idiots quite so stupid in my life.

"I had to bring Kagome back to her room," I explain, showing them how to turn the nozzle. (Wow, isn't science amazing?) "Not exactly familiar with washing dishes, are we?"

"Nope," Miroku replies happily as he reaches for the kitchen sprayer and promptly drenches himself with it. (God, please take me now!)

"Why'd you have to bring her back to her room?" Inu-Yasha growls as he drops the soap for the umpteenth time. "Can't the wench find it herself? And- fuck! How're you supposed to clean with this piece of shit if you can't even keep a steady grip on it?!"

I shoot him a withering look (something I seem to be doing a lot, lately), before snatching the bar away and introducing him to liquid soap.

Moron.

"She forgets," I then retort simply, grabbing a tray and beginning to scrub it after flicking on the radio.

*Well I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell

I know right now you can't tell

But stay a while and maybe then you'll see-

A different side of me*

I can't help but cast a sideways glance at Inu-Yasha as the music plays- watching for his reaction. Will he even have one. . . ?

Yes. . . Though I can tell that he's trying to hide it, a look in his eye tells me he's listening- And thinking of `someone'.

*I'm not crazy I'm just a little impaired

I know, right now you don't care

But soon enough you're gonna think of me

And how I used to be*

I smile to myself as I glance away from the lavender eyed teen, somehow just knowing that, in her room, Kagome is listening as well-

And thinking of `someone' too.

~*~

Yes, if anyone hadn't caught that yet, Inu-Yasha is gonna be in human form this fic. I'll miss his kawaii ears and silver hair and amber eyes, but I'm trying a lot of new things in this fic, and this is one of them.

Hope you enjoyed! ^_^

Please R&R!

Ja ne!