InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Remember You Forever ❯ To Be With You ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: ::singing M2M songs:: I own nothing! Not even the songs I'm singing!

Author's Note: Hiya, guys! How are y'all today?

One or two things- the song in this chapter is sung by Matchbox 20. It's called Unwell. I'm sure you've all heard it before, so no biggie, right? ^_~

Also, since school is starting soon- and I'm in the middle of three new fics- this story will probably be the one to get updated the least. Okay? ^_^;;; Gomen ne, but I think most of you have read it before anyway, so. . .


Yeah. ^_^;

XD Enjoy this chapter!

~*~

~Chapter Three: To Be With You~

~Inu-Yasha's PoV~

I walk into Kagome's room the next afternoon to find her seated at the window seat, cuddled into the corner, and looking at the ceiling as if deep in thought.

*All day staring at the ceiling


Making friends with shadows on my wall*

She gives a start and glances down, however, when I close the door. Perhaps it's because I slam it, or maybe she had noticed me earlier but didn't expect the rudeness. I don't particularly care.

"Hello," she smiles at me, cocking her head to the side as she ushers me closer with a hand. "Who are you?"

"My name is Inu-Yasha," I tell her in monotone. "I'm going to be your personal slav-" I cut myself off as Sango passes by outside and shoots me a glare. Dammit. Doesn't she know how to joke?! "I'm going to be your personal helper for. . . the rest of your time at this place," I sigh. "All right?"

She tilts her head in the other direction. "Really? I'm going to have a helper?"

"Yes," I reply coolly, sitting down on her bed and crossing my arms and legs. "Is there a problem?" Kagome thinks about it for a minute, delicately chewing the tip of her thumbnail.

"I don't need a helper," she then announces calmly, removing her gaze from me and placing it on the window. "But thanks anyway."

I shoot a wide-eyed glare at her back before subconsciously clenching a fist. What the hell is she talking about?! Doesn't she realize what's happening to her, the stupid girl?! "Of course you need a helper!" I growl.

"No I don't," she replies softly, not intimidated in the slightest. She places a calm hand on the window- her pale skin glowing in the autumn sunlight. "But. . . I need a friend. Will you be my friend?"

I'm taken aback as she turns to face me again. Her eyes are determined. . . yet kind. "Please?"

I gape at her for a moment, never having met anyone who just straight out asked to be my friend. Hell, the only friend I have is Miroku. Still. . .

I shoot her a hard look. I don't really want to be her friend, but I'm going to be here anyway. . . And I have to be her helper.

Why not? Maybe we could be friends with benefits. . . heh heh, she IS pretty cute. . . `Course, then Sango would yell at me for taking advantage of her. . . And I don't want to be like Miroku. Oh, whatever.

"Sure," I grumble, looking away as her face bursts into a large smile.

"Thanks," Kagome beams, looking thrilled beyond reason.

*

We spend the rest of the day together, basically just looking around the room, as if hoping something to do or say will suddenly appear out of thin air. Then I lead her to dinner, bring her back, and she tells me to leave so she can get ready for bed.

"Going to sleep already?" I ask as she allows me back in her room.

"Sure," she shrugs. "It's late, and I'm tired."

"It's only 10."

She shrugs again and climbs into bed, smoothing the quilt over her legs and puffing the pillows before flopping back upon them unceremoniously. I just watch her, leaning casually against the doorframe and craving a cigarette. Hurry up and sleep so I can leave, Kagome. . . I smirk mentally, using my Jedai voice. And, as if she's heard, she instantly replies:

"Good night, Inu-Yasha." Yawning sleepily, she turns out her lights. "I'll remember you forever. . ."

I'll remember you for. . . ?

I suddenly don't want that smoke as much. Sighing, I don't reply as she drifts off to sleep.


*All night hearing voices telling me


That I should get some sleep


Because tomorrow might be good for something


Hold on


Feeling like I'm headed for a breakdown


And I don't know why*

*

As I walk into Kagome's bedroom the next afternoon, she's on that window seat again. I'm beginning to think she just sits there all day and every day. How dull. She turns around as she hears me enter.

"Hi," she grins, cheerful as ever. "Are you new here?"

"Yeah," I sigh, a bit irritated. "I'm new." And I explain it all again.

*But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell


I know right now you can't tell


But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see


A different side of me*

I'm smarter today. I brought a deck of playing cards. (After all, who wants to bask in stony silence with some chick you barely know for two days in a row?!) And so Kagome and I sit on opposite sides of her table playing Gin, the only game she remembers how to play. And does she remember how to play or what. . .


"Gin," the girl states calmly, showing me her hand and raking in the paper pieces we're using as chips.

"Damn it!" I cry, throwing my cards on the table in frustration. "That's the 12th God damn hand you've won in a row!"

Kagome smirks. "And out of only 12 games, too. . ."

"You must be cheating," I snarl, snatching her cards and shuffling them back into the deck with a furry.

"How can I when YOUR dealing?" she points out, placing her paper pieces into neat little piles.

I growl again and begin to deal out the cards as she smiles at me.

"I can't remember when I've had more fun, Inu-Yasha."

I'm not surprised by that.

"I'm glad you're here."

I make no reply as I pick up my cards.

"I like to be with you."

She picks up her cards as she continues to speak. "I hope I remember this day forever."

". . . Why don't you try writing it down in a diary?" I suggest calmly, trying not to shed light on her memory problem as I pick up a card and discard one from my hand. Curses. . . not the one I need.

She considers this, and then sighs. "I'd forget to write in it," she replies simply, taking a card off the top of the deck and throwing down one of hers. "And. . ." Kagome bites her lip gently. "Suddenly. . . I can't. . . read very well. . ."


I say nothing to this as I glance down at my cards.

"Simple stuff I can still read, cards and numbers and the like- but. . . for some reason. . .I just. . . just. . ." She gives a sad little giggle before whispering, "I love books. . ."


*I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired


I know right now you don't care


But soon enough you're gonna think of me


And how I used to be...me*

I glance up at her from over my cards. She looks so sad. . . I can't stand to see women sad, curse it all. I sigh and lean back on my chair.

She looks up at me in curiosity.

"I'll read to you, if you want," I mumble.

"Really?" she gasps. "Would you do that for me?"

"Yeah. . ." Better than her beating the tar out of me in Gin every day. . .

"Thanks, Inu-Yasha," she beams.

I smirk back. "But only if you win this hand."

"All right," she grins sweetly, slapping down her cards. "Gin!"

"DAMN IT!"

*

"What book do you want me to bring tomorrow?" I ask that night as Kagome crawls into her bed.

"Um. . . Bring something by Nicholas Sparks," the girl commands, cuddling into her mattress as she smoothes her quilt and puffs her pillows.

I wrinkle my nose. "Hell no! All he writes are romance novels!"

"You promised," she glares, crossing her arms stubbornly over her chest.

"You won't remember that tomorrow," I mutter under my breath as I turn towards the exit.

"What was that?!" she asks, her brow furrowed in suspicion as her eyes follow me to the doorframe.

"Nothin'," I reply smoothly, glancing at her from over my shoulder. "Fine. Nicholas Sparks it is."

"Good," Kagome grins. "I'll look forward to it." Leaning back into her pillows, she continues to smile at me, staring through half-lidded eyes. "`Night, Inu-Yasha," she then says softly as she turns out the lights. "I'll remember you forever. . ."

I sigh quietly to myself as I turn around and leave, heading towards the nearest open library as I light a cigarette. I pause for a moment as I do, watching the gray smoke float up to the frozen black sky, cursing my luck. It HAD to be a corny romance. . . ? FINE. I'll get her a corny romance, dammit!

. . . Even if she won't remember, I'm not one to break made promises.

*

When I step into Kagome's bedroom the next afternoon, I instantly freeze. What the- - - ?! Then I quickly glance around the room- though I know that's stupid. She's quite obviously not here. . . !

Dropping the book I had brought with me- the book that had caused me endless abuse for having to carry around school all day- I whirled around to call Sango-

When something out the window catches my eye. Racing over, I look hurriedly around for the flash of ebony I saw down near the street.

There.

Next to the tree-lined freeway to the hospital, Kagome is toddling beside the road- playing tight rope walk on the curb as she admires the trees and cars speed past her.

"Damn it, Kagome!" I yell, bolting out of her room and to the elevators as fast as I can. Punching the down button twenty times consecutively, I eventually give up and find a emergency staircase off to the side- taking the old cement steps two at a time.

`What the hell is she doing?!' I think furiously as I rush past the woman at the front desk and out the door. `She could get lost! She could get run over! And why in hell didn't the woman at registration stop her?!'

Probably because she doesn't seem like she'd be one of the patients. . .

I continue to run- trying to make it to the curb before my charge does something stupid. It looks like I better get there soon, then- - -

"It's so beautiful out, today," Kagome muses out loud as she looks at the trees. She's about to cross the street, oblivious to the speeding vehicles.

Shit!

*I'm talking to myself in public


Dodging glances on the train*

"KAGOME!" I bellow as I reach her, grabbing her hand and yanking her back onto the safety of the sidewalk, just as a car runs over the stop she had been in. However, I accidentally pulled her too hard. She topples into me- - -

"Woah- - -!"

And sends us both to the ground, her body on top of mine. We gaze into each other's eyes a moment, and I feel my cheeks heat up as I push her hurriedly off of me.

"Feh! What the hell were you doing?!" I snarl, forgetting for a moment that she doesn't remember me.

"I was just taking a walk! Gods- you're a real cheerful one aren't you?!" she glares, a frown on her lips and a blush on her face. She crawls to her knees, nonetheless, and begins jabbing me painfully in the chest with a finger. "Just who do you think you are?!"

With these words, my anger is consumed by my frustration and disappointment.

Wait. . .

Disappointment?!

Why the hell am I disappointed that she doesn't know who I am?!

"Well?!" she barks, making me jump slightly.

"I'm Inu-Yasha. I'm your new helper at the clinic," I sigh, getting tired of repeating this stupid speech every day. She frowns at me a little longer, and then sighs.

"I guess I should have told someone I was leaving, anyway. . ." she mutters, crossing her arms over her chest as she flops beside me on the manicured lawn. "It's just they never let me out. . . And Fall is one of my favorite season, after Spring. . ."

"I know," I mutter absentmindedly as I get to my feet and then help her to hers.

She blinks at me, arching an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"How about we take a walk?" I suggest quickly, changing the subject.

Her look of confusion ebbs away to a happy smile. "I'd like that."

And I find that I like it when she smiles.

*

I lead Kagome back from our walk, grinning slightly as the elevator door opens on our floor and as she chatters about anything and everything. But then she notices something: "God, it's late!" She gasps in surprise as she looks at her watch and then out the dark window. "Time flies when you're having fun, I gue-"

But she is interrupted as Miroku flies past, fleeing from Sango with a large, perverted grin on his face. The nurse comes bolting after him a half of a second later, a blush on her cheeks and her eyes livid.

"COME BACK HERE, YOU LECH!" Sango screams, not noticing Kagome and myself.

Kag and I stare after them silently for a moment.

"Well. . . that was interesting," I comment as we leave the elevator.

"Shouldn't we help him?" the girl asks, sounding slightly worried as I help her to her room.

"Nah. He'll live."

Kagome looked doubtful, but nods as we enter her bedroom.

"Turn around as I get dressed, please," she commands as usual- though she doesn't remember ever doing it before. I do so and pick up the book I had dropped on the ground a few hours earlier.

"Wanna be read to?" I ask as she gets into bed, performing her usual smoothing and puffing routine.

The girl's eyes light up. "Really? How'd you know that I can't-?" she cuts herself off with a shake of her head, appearing embarrassed. "Uh- Never mind." She remains silent for a moment, and then grins. "So- What did you bring?"

I hold up the book and smile softly as she squeals in delight.

"`A Walk to Remember'?! That's my all time favorite!" she cries happily, clapping her hands. "How did you know my favorite author?"

"Someone told me," I shrug, opening the book to the prologue and sitting on her desk seat, leaning comfortably back as I prop my feet on the edge of her bed.

"Really?" she muses. "I don't remember telling anyone about my favorite books. . . who told you?"

I grace her with a mysterious smirk. "Someone special."

*

After reading the prologue and the first three chapters, my throat is sore and Kagome is just about asleep. I decide to make it a night.

"Thanks for reading to me, Inu-Yasha," she murmurs tiredly as she turns off her lights. "Good night. I'll remember you forever."

I wince as she says these words, feeling my heart clench. God damn it, I wish she'd stop saying that! Holding back a frustrated sigh, I leave the room, fuming silently at Kagome's continually broken promise to remember me.

As I head towards the elevators, Sango stops me in front of the bathrooms. Oh, great. Just who I wanted to see.

"So how's the job going?" she asks happily, in an oddly good mood as she jots a few notes down on her clipboard. Quite frankly, it looks like Miroku's phone number. I don't say anything. "Isn't Kagome the greatest?"

"Whatever," I grunt, crossing my arms and trying to push away. The nurse stops me again.

"You know," Sango continues, ignoring my mood, "She was really lonely. Her mom and brother never came to visit her, something about taking care of their shrine. Now they suddenly keep trying to get her back, but we aren't allowing it because of her condition. Haven't talked to them for a while, but still. And her grandpa insists she's possessed by some demon, so we're not allowed to let him in here- though he too has tried to kidnap her once or twice."

"Whatever."

She suddenly frowns, planting her hands on her hips. "What do you mean, `whatever'?!"

"I mean `whatever'!" I bellow back, almost tearing the book in my hands apart. "What do you want me to say?! Say that her family is insane and deserves to be in here just as much as she does?! Say that she's an annoying bitch that enjoys stepping out in front of cars, breaking promises, and can't read?! I'm only hanging out with her because I have to, Sango! Get that through your head!"


Her eyes widen and then narrow to slits, leaning away from me as I take a step foreword.

"Well. Now that you're done, I think TWO of us here are ready for bed," she hisses softly, her eyes flicking to something over my shoulder.

"What the hell do you mean, TWO-?!" I begin, but fall instantly silent as I turn around to see Kagome, standing stock still in the middle of the hall. She looks pathetic- her hair slightly mussed thanks to her pillow, her too-big nightgown hanging off her shoulder; her jaw dropped in shock as a pearl of moisture trickles down her cheek.

*And I know, I know they've all been talking about me


I can hear them whisper


And it makes me think there must be something wrong with me*

"Ka-Kagome. . ." I choke out, the color draining from my cheeks. "I- I thought you were asleep- - I- - "

"Well," the girl spits out, her tear-filled eyes narrowing to slits. "I wasn't." With that, she spins around and races away, sobbing into her hands.

"Kagome!" I cry again, about to run after her until Sango grabs the back of my jacket.

"She won't be able to find her way back to her room!" I argue, trying to pull away from the nurse. She just glares at me.

"You've done enough harm for one night," she snarls, yanking me back a few paces. "Go home. I'll take care of Kagome." With that, she pushes past me, briskly walking after her patient as I stand, horror struck, in the hall.

And for the first time. . .

I'm glad Kagome won't remember me in the morning.

It'll give me a second chance.

*

I walk into Kagome's room the next afternoon, feeling more timid then I have ever felt. Hell- have I ever felt timid period? I don't think so. . . Oh, who cares?!

"K-Kagome?" I whisper tentatively, causing the girl on the window seat to look over in surprise.

"Hm? Oh! I'm sorry, deep in thought. . ." she grins sheepishly, before spinning to face me. "Hiya! Are you knew here?"


*Out of all the hours thinking


Somehow I've lost my mind

But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell


I know right now you can't tell


But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see


A different side of me


I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired


I know right now you don't care


But soon enough you're gonna think of me


And how I used to be*

"Kagome. . ." I press on, ignoring the girl's confused look, "I'm really, really, really sorry about yesterday. I guess I. . . I was just scared that I might actually like to be with you. To hang out with you. . . To be your friend. And because of that, I got frustrated about. . . well, anyway- I didn't mean a word of what I said in the halls. . . I hope you can forgive me. . ."

She quirks an eyebrow, cocking her head in bewilderment. "Um. .. I'm sorry, am I supposed to know you?"

. . .

I sigh softly and just shake my head, a small smile forming on my face. "Never mind. My name is Inu-Yasha, I'm new here. Would you like to read "A Walk to Remember" with me?"

"Really?" The girl beams at me and hops over to her bed, sitting down and motioning for me to join her. "I'd like that very much, Inu-Yasha. You seem nice."

I sit beside her, leaning with her against the pillows and open the book to the prologue. "Shall I start from the very beginning?"

"If you would," Kagome chirps, snuggling into my side. "This is my favorite story, did you know that?"

I just smile again and wrap an arm around her. "It's one of mine, too. . ."

*

We spend the rest of the day just reading, my voice the only sound in the silence. No are questions asked, no answers are given. It's. . . nice.

By nightfall, though my voice is just about gone, I have finished the book.

"Wow. . . you read the whole thing!" Kagome beams brightly as I close the volume. "Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me, Inu-Yasha."

"Mmm," I nod tiredly, my arm still around her shoulders. It's a bit odd, though, that she never asked me to remove it. . . Maybe, somewhere deep inside her heart, she does still remember who I am. . . ?

. . .Okay, now I just sound stupid.

"Well, if you could please leave for a moment, I've got to get changed for bed," the girl says briskly, though her eyes are dancing playfully as she tweaks my nose. I sit up and cast her an odd glance.

"Don't you want to eat dinner?"

She blinks once. "Dinner. . .? . . . Oh! Oh, no, thank you. I'm not hungry tonight," she grins after thinking a moment.

"Oh. . . okay." I shoot her an anxious look as I leave the room, leaning my back against the door as she gets dressed. Had she briefly forgotten what dinner was? How much memory does she have now?

. . .

I'm worried about her.

"You can come in now!" she calls cheerfully, her voice slightly muffled through the closed wooden barrier. I do so without a word.

"You okay?" she asks me in concern, tilting her head curiously. "You look a little green. . . ?"

". . . I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

She gives me a dry look, knowing perfectly well that I'm lying through my teeth, but presses the subject no further. Cuddling into her bed and turning out the lights, she is silent for a moment. I stand there and watch her, waiting for my usual good night before I leave. But instead. . .

"Inu-Yasha?" Kag asks quietly after a few moments, her eyes boring a whole through the ceiling as she lies on her back.

I grunt in response, my throat still sore.

"When will Spring come?" she whispers, sounding a bit sad as she pulls her blanket to her chin.

". . . Why?"

"Answer me first," the girl commands softly.

"Well, it's the end of fall now. After winter it'll come," I shrug in the dark.

"Will that be soon?"

"A few months."

"Oh. . ."

"Now, why?"

Kagome's silent for a moment, as if she's trying to decide what to say. ". . . I just like Spring," she finally announces, rolling over to face me. "What do you like, Inu-Yasha?"

I say nothing as our eyes lock.

She smiles sleepily all the same, her bright azure orbs half lidded as she yawns. "Well, then- good night, Inu-Yasha. I'll remember you forever."

With that, her breathing lengthens and slows, announcing to the world that she is now asleep.

I watch her from where I stand for a moment, before silently padding over to her bed. Kneeling in front of her sleeping face, I gently brush a strand of her hair away from her closed eyes.

"I like. . . to be with you, Kagome," I whisper softly to her sleeping form. "To be with you. . ."

*

Over the next few nights, I find myself always staying a half-hour late, just so I can watch Kagome sleep. Even if Miroku leaves without me. Even if her room gets cold. Even if I crave my smokes- I stay. She looks so peaceful, so calm, so beautiful. . .

But one night, just before I leave, she begins to toss and turn, moaning and crying.

"No. . ." she whispers hoarsely, her eyes squeezed shut as she yells at some unknown force. "Don't. . . don't take me! I don't know who you are! Leave me alone!"


*I've been talking in my sleep


Pretty soon they'll come to get me

Yeah, they're taking me away*

I trot quickly over to her bed and kneel down next to her; about to shake her into conciseness when her next words freeze me in my place.

"Stop! Leave me alone! Help me, Inu-Yasha!" she sobs, struggling against the sheets. "Help me, Inu-Yasha. . ."


*But I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell


I know right now you can't tell


But stay awhile and maybe then you'll see


A different side of me


I'm not crazy, I'm just a little impaired


I know right now you don't care


But soon enough you're gonna think of me


And how I used to be


Yeah, how I used to be*

She. . .

Remembers me?

Even after thirty minutes of slumber? But the first time I met her- - - !

"Kagome," I whisper into her ear, shaking her gently. "Kagome, wake up! You're having a bad dream. Wake- - -"

With a gasp she snaps straight up in her bed, tears pouring down her face. Turning mechanically to face me, she suddenly throws her arms around my neck and sobs into my shoulder.

I stiffen slightly in shock.

"I don't want to go with them. . ." she chokes through her horror. "The people who come and try to take me `home'. . . I want to stay here. . . I want to stay with you, Inu-Yasha. . ."

"It was just a dream," I soothe as calmly as I can, feeling rather awkward with her arms around me. I tentatively run my hand through her hair and wrap my own arms around her small frame. "It'll be okay."

"Will it. . . ?" she snivles pathetically, burying her face in my neck.

I smile slightly, gently tightening my embrace- as if to protect her. "Yes. I promise."

She can feel her smile her usual, but watery, smile against my skin before calming a bit. "Thank you. . ." she whispers, her sobs reducing to hiccups as she slowly falls back into slumber. "I'll. . . remember you forever. . ."

Noticing that she has fallen asleep on my shoulder, I can't help but blush light pink as she cuddles for warmth. Gently laying her back down on the bed, I tuck the slumbering girl into her covers.

"I'll always be here for you, Kagome. I won't let them take you," I tell her softly, gingerly touching her cheek.


*How I used to be


Well, I'm just a little unwell


How I used to be*

*

The next afternoon is much like any other. She doesn't remember.

*How I used to be*

"My name is Inu-Yasha," I proclaim, beginning my usual speech. "I'm new here, and I'm going to be your helper." She beams at me from her window seat, crispy red leaves blowing past outside the glass.

"Nice to meet you, Inu-Yasha. I hope we enjoy our time together," Kagome jokes, patting the cushion beside her.

"Don't worry," I smirk back, taking the indicated place next to her on the seat. "I'll make sure it's hell."

The girl laughs. "I like spending time with you already."


*I'm just a little unwell*

"And I like to be with you, too."

~*~

There we go! A loooooong chapter. @_@

Oh, and about Inu and Kag's current relationship-

I know at least SOME people are gonna think I'm rushing it, but here is my defense: though this is all one chapter, it took place over many days- about two weeks! That's plenty of time for Inu to realize he likes Kagome- heck, we all knew Inu liked Kag in the magna before Yura of the Hair was even defeated! ^_~

So please don't tell me I rushed the romance, because I'm rather proud with how drawn out I've made it.

Please R&R!

Ja ne! ^_^

PS. Please, no dissing `A Walk to Remember'. That happens to be one of MY favorite books too. (The book is WAY better then the movie, by the way.)