InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ I Remember ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quote I may use.
 
CHAPTER TWENTY: I REMEMBER
 
Sesshomaru walked slowly through the forest back to where he'd left Jaken. He found the green imp resting against a tree; snoring.
“Jaken”
Jaken jumped so suddenly he lost his balance and fell over. “M-m-my lord! You have returned!”
Sesshomaru walked past and headed towards his castle. Jaken grabbed his staff and scurried after him
“Milord! What happened to the girl? Did you find her?”
Sesshomaru glanced down at the imp briefly before continuing on, “Yes. She is with her family now.”
Jaken huffed to keep up; his short legs having to take two steps to equal one of Sesshomaru's. “If you don't mind my asking my lord; why did you take that girl in?”
Sesshomaru didn't answer.
“This is the second human you have saved.” Jaken continued, “And yet you profess to hate all humans. First it was the young child you brought back from the dead, and now this girl, who you returned to her family.”
Sesshomaru stopped suddenly, causing Jaken to walk into him.
Jumping back Jaken trembled, “Forgive me my lord. I should not ask such foolish questions. What you do is none-”
“One”
Jaken blinked, “What?”
Sesshomaru started walking again, “I have only saved one human Jaken. One girl.”
Jaken's jaw dropped to the ground, “SHE WAS THE CHILD?!”
 
 
InuYasha dropped to one knee; breathing heavily.
Raidon was dead.
Kagome ran up to InuYasha and threw her arms around him, “Are you alright?” she whispered.
InuYasha nodded slowly. He hadn't felt that much power in years, and it was a little over-whelming.
Miroku and Sango rushed over, “What was that?!” Sango exclaimed while Miroku grabbed InuYasha's dog ears and pulled.
“OW!” InuYasha snarled and took a swipe at the monk.
“Yep. They're real.”
Kagome and Sango started laughing while InuYasha jumped to his feet growling and chased Miroku across the field.
“Stupid monk! Get back here!”
 
Rin just watched stared shock.
InuYasha wasn't human. He just destroyed a demon with some kind of energy force from a rusty sword that transformed.
Her shock quickly turned into anger.
InuYasha wasn't human.
They were still lying to her.
Pressing her lips into a thin line she grabbed her backpack and walked off.
 
Shippo looked over and saw Rin slipping away. Frowning, he followed her, with out saying a word to the others.
Once they were deep in the forest he called out to her.
She whipped around, “Oh. Shippo you startled me.” Her eyes narrowed, “I'm not going back.”
Shippo held up his hands in surrender, “I'm not asking you to. I just wanted to talk to you.”
Rin relaxed, “Oh okay.”
She walked over to a nearby log and sat down, “What's up?”
Shippo sat next to her, “Why'd you leave?”
“I…I was angry.”
“Why?”
“You saw my dad…or rather InuYasha. Everything I've ever know if falling apart right in front of me. And I don't know how to stop it. All I wanted was to find out who I was and where I really came from. Now I find out the man I thought was my father isn't even human and is brothers with the guy that's always in my dreams.”
Shippo frowned, “You dream about Sesshomaru?”
“You know him?”
“Everyone knows of him. He's the Lord of the Western Lands.”
Rin rolled her eyes, “Don't remind me. I've heard that title enough times to last me a life time.”
Shippo chuckled then he tense. Sniffing the air he frowned again.
“What's wrong?”
“Somebody's coming this way.”
 
Sesshomaru stopped and looked down at Jaken. The poor imp had been muttering to himself for the past while. He was still stuck on the fact the older girl was the same child that traveled with them years before.
Sesshomaru rolled his eyes, “Jaken!”
Jaken snapped to attention and looked up, “Yes Milord?”
“Return to the castle.”
“But Milord! What are-”
Sesshomaru glare cut him off, “Yes my Lord. Your humble servant will always do as you ask.”
Sesshomaru turned and retraced his steps back. Back to the edge of the forest. Back to Rin.
 
That's Sesshomaru's scent. Why is he back here?” Shippo's lips curled.
“Shippo? What's wrong? Who's coming?”
“Come on Rin. We need to go”
Rin stood, “No. Tell me who's coming.”
“Still demanding as always.”
Rin spun around, “Sesshomaru!”
She glared, “Why are you here?”
Sesshomaru looked at her coldly, “I didn't think I could trust the monk to take you back. I was right.”
“You can't make me go back!”
“I can. And I will.”
Rin marched up to him and slapped him full force on the face.
“That's for being such a jerk before!” she yelled.
Shippo fell off the log.
“Rin” he muttered, “That's not such a good idea.”
Sesshomaru grabbed Rin's wrist in his hand, “You don't learn do you?”
“Let her go Sesshomaru!”
Kagome, InuYasha, Sango and Miroku appeared behind Rin; weapons drawn.
Sesshomaru scoffed, “You think you can…” he stopped and smirked, “Well, well, well brother. Back to your half-breed self again?”
InuYasha snarled, his fangs showing, “Let her go. We're taking her back.”
“You were supposed to do that last night!” Sesshomaru said with a glare at Miroku.
“Well, we're doing it right now. Give her to us.”
Rin had enough.
“OH CUT IT OUT ALREADY!!!!!”
Everyone blinked and looked at her.
“I am a person, not an object. And I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions!”
She glared up at Sesshomaru, “Let me go.”
“No.”
“Why not?!”
“You'll try to run.”
“Let her go Dog Lord.”
Everyone turned to see a woman step out of the trees. Dressed in a white cloaked she pulled the hood off to show she was actually a young girl. She had long, white hair, icy blue eyes and a gentle face.
“You do not have time to be fighting.”
“Who are you?!” InuYasha barked.
“She's a Whisperer” Shippo said quietly while making a small bow to her.
“A Whisperer?” Kagome said, “I've never heard of them before. What are they?”
“My name is Adena. I am neither demon nor human. The young fox demon is correct. I am a Whisperer. We travel throughout life, helping those who need it and help defend against great evils.”
“They're indictable” Shippo added, “That's why not even Sesshomaru knew she was here. They have endless knowledge and are often hunted by demons and humans.”
“Why are you here?” Sesshomaru snapped letting go of Rin's arm and she stepped away.
“Time is running out.”
She turned to Rin, held her hand out flat and blew into it.
“It is time to remember.”
Rin suddenly felt dizzy and put a hand to her head.
“What'd you do to her?!” Miroku yelled as Sango and Kagome rushed to her side.
Adena smiled, “Exactly what she wanted me to do.”
“Wha…” Rin dropped to her knees, her sight blurry.
He lay along and leaning against a tree.
Rin quietly approached him and he greeted her with a snarl.
Later she returned with food and he toldher no.
But he made her smile.
“Please…” Rin whispered.
The wolves…they were chasing her through the wood and she was frightened.
She had to find him; he'd protect her.
Rin cried out in pain.
“What's happening to her?” Kagome yelled at Adena.
“She remembers.” Adena answered quietly.
She died. Then the man's face was there.He brought her back. He took care of her. Protected her.
Rin's breath became ragged.
Rinwas running through the forestagain,running from somethingmore terrifying then the wolves.
She fell.
Just before she closed her eyes Sesshomaru appeared and held her close.
Kagome touched Rin's shoulder, her eyes full of concern, “Rin? Are you alright?”
Rin looked blankly at her mother then slowly got to her feet. She walked over to Sesshomaru and stood in front of the tall demon.
Looking up at him, her dark eyes full of tears, “I remember now” she whispered.
Kagome held her breath. “Please no.”
“I remember…” Rin threw her arms around Sesshomaru “My Lord!”
Kagome glared at Adena, “What the hell did you do?!”
“I helped her with what she had forgotten. Things she wanted to remember. Things she needed to remember.”
Sesshomaru's eyes widened slightly and he looked down at Rin.
“Rin, look at me.”
Rin stepped back, “Yes my lord?” she whispered.
“What do you remember?”
“I…. I remember everything.”
Her eyes filled with tears, “Why'd you send me away?”
Adena placed a hand on Rin's shoulder, “I'm sorry Rin, but there is no time for this now. You must leave this forest.”
She turned to InuYasha, “Go back to your camp, but do not travel through the well.”
“Why not?”
“Because if you leave, your world will no longer exist.”
 
An hour later everyone, including Sesshomaru, followed Aden as she led them away from the forest and towards the mountain.
“Where are we going? InuYasha asked for the millionth time.
To which Adena always answered, “You'll see.”
InuYasha glared back at his brother, “And why the hell are you following us?”
Sesshomaru merely raised an eyebrow but did not answer.
In truth he wished he wasn't following them. He didn't like the idea of being in his brother's presence anymore then InuYasha did, but he wanted to make sure Rin got out of the Feudal Era.
When Rin had been a child she did as Sesshomaru asked without hesitation. If he had told her to go through the well she might have cried some, or even argued. But in the end she would have done as he said. Now as an older child, she was struggling with what she knew and what she remembered. And he wasn't sure she'd still follow his every word. The Whisperer's words troubled him as well. No matter where Rin went she would be in danger. He needed to eliminate the threat before letting her go.
And being in her presence gave him a strange feeling. One he at first found unsettling, but now…he welcomed it.
Rin walked closely to Sesshomaru and as far away from the other humans as she could. She was indeed struggling with all her newfound memories and that Kagome could've kept such a big secret from her. Shippo was the only one who dared to walk beside her.
As they walked Kagome kept her eyes on Rin but didn't try to approach her. Sango laid a hand on her friend shoulder and smile.
Leaning over she whispered, “I sure wish we had Kirara with us right now. My feet are aching!”
Kagome laughed softly and nodded.
When they left the Modern Era, Sango had decided to leave Kirara behind. She never thought they'd be gone this long and she was missing her good friend.
 
Miroku walked next to InuYasha who was deep in thought.
“Trying to figure out how you changed?” Miroku asked.
InuYasha nodded, “I just can't understand it. The Shikon Jewel was what changed me before, how could my sword change me back?”
“Are they connected in anyway?”
“Not that I know-ow!”
InuYasha slapped his cheek and pulled his hand away.
A flat Myoga shouted “MASTER INUYASHA! YOU'VE RETURNED!”
InuYasha scowled and flicked the flea off his hand, “Why aren't you dead yet?”
Myoga hopped onto Miroku's shoulder, “Master I'm hurt you would say such a thing.”
InuYasha just grunted and looked down at his sword, “Hey, you know more about this sword then anyone else. Can you tell me why it's changed me back into a hanyou?”
“The sword changed you?”
“Yeah. I was fighting an Ox demon named Raidon. I was getting angry and suddenly I changed and the Tetsusaiga transformed and I killed him.”
“Could it be because you were protecting Rin and Kagome?” Miroku mused.
Myoga nodded, “Very good Miroku. It was InuYasha's desire to protect Kagome when he first got the sword that made it transform, so it must have been that same desire to protect Kagome that made InuYasha transform so he could use the sword.”
Miroku blinked, “You mean like mind-over-matter?”
“Precisely!”
Kagome and Sango were now listening.
Kagome frowned, “Can that kind of thing really apply to something like this?”
Myoga looked offended, “Of course it can. What other explanation is there?”
InuYasha looked up from examining his claws, “That just means he doesn't really know. Anybody's guess is as good as his.”
“Master!” Myoga cried, feeling betrayed. “You know I would never intentionally mislead you!”
“Intentionally mislead no. But give us just a hunch to save your own ass and reputation, hell yes!”
“Actually he's not far from the truth InuYasha.”
Adena had stopped and was looking back at them.
“Transforming the Tetsusaiga is mind-over-matter. It's the want to protect that transform the sword. That's why it changes when InuYasha is protecting someone. When he wished to become human, he lost that power. But the desire was still there. Therefore when his desire to protect Kagome and Rin became greater then his wish to be human; the wish was reversed.”
InuYasha scratched his head trying to absorb all she had said while the others nodded their heads in understanding.
 
The group finally stopped at a cave and Adena informed them that'd be where they were going to sleep.
“Are you going to tell us what the hell is going on?” InuYasha demanded.
“Yes”
InuYasha blinked in surprise, “You are?” he repeated dumbly.
Kagome rolled her eyes and pulled him down to sit next to her. She knew he was a smart guy, but he could be a real idiot when he chose to be.
“There is a demon that is seeking the power of the Shikon Jewel.”
“What else is new” InuYasha muttered and Kagome jabbed him in the ribs.
“Ow”
Adena smiled and continued, “This demon is different. He's was once a Whisperer.”
“But I thought Whisperer's were only woman.” Shippo said.
“That's true. No one has ever heard of a male Whisperer.”
“Then how the hell do you get little Whisperers?!”
Kagome grabbed one of InuYasha's ears and pulled hard, “Shut up!”
“OW!”
“When a Whisperer becomes a certain age she become with child. It is how it's always been.”
Miroku looked bummed, “That's gotten stink. No s-”
“Don't you dare say it!” Sango snapped.
“Why don't you all shut up and let the Whisperer finish her tale” Sesshomaru growled looking very annoyed.
Rin lay at his side, already asleep.
Adena nodded her thanks to Sesshomaru and continued her story, “10 years ago when a Whisperer, Talo, became with child one of our elders told her to destroy the child; it would only bring pain and misery upon all it met. Talo refused. When the child was born we were surprised to see it was a boy. Talo named him Jyrana. Again the elder, Kora, told Talo to destroy to the child. But she wouldn't. He grew up and we taught him the ways of being a Whisperer. We grow in mouths the way you would grow in years. By the time he was 2, or 24 in human time, he had renounced the Whisperer ways and was seeking out a way to destroy us.”
“I thought Whisperers were un-killable and Immortal” Shippo finally spoke up.
“There is only one thing in the three worlds that could kill or even harm us.”
“The Shikon Jewel” Kagome whispered.
Adena nodded, “Yes. That's why Jyrana is searching for the jewel.”
“So why can't we just go back through the well and take the jewel with us?” Miroku asked.
“Because Jyrana is hell bent on destroying all human life. He was the cause of the Dark Cloud that made you all leave 8 years ago. And the case humans live in fear now.”
Kagome and Sango gasped, “That was him?” Sango whispered.
“Yes. He steal's human's life force, and uses it to build up his own strength.”
Miroku frowned, “Wait. I thought you said Jyrana was a demon.”
“I did.”
“But you said Whisperer weren't demons.”
“We're not.”
Miroku fell over.
“When Jyrana started using his power to harm and destroy, he “fell” from being a Whisperer and became a demon.”
“So…Whisperers are like angels?”
Adena smiled, “You could call us that.”
Kagome yawned and stretched and Adena nodded to Rin, “She was the smart one. You all need you sleep.”
She held up her hands before anyone could protest, “If you have more questions, I'll answer them in the morning.”
InuYasha grumbled but shut up when Kagome poked him and glared.
Sango and Miroku took a far corner and Shippo lay near the back wall. Kagome took another corner and looked up at InuYasha. He held up a finger and walked over to his brother who sat at the entrance with Rin sound asleep at his side. InuYasha sat across from Sesshomaru and looked at Rin.
“That's that most peaceful I've seen her look in a long time” he said quietly.
Sesshomaru glance down but said nothing.
“Why are you with us?”
“Why did you let her come InuYasha?”
InuYasha blinked, “What?”
“Why didn't you destroy the well on your side? You left way back for her! Why?”
“I didn't know she could get through!” InuYasha snapped.
“I didn't know the jewel would work with her. Kagome and I have only been the ones that can move through freely. How was I supposed to know she could get here?”
He glared, “What was she doing with you anyways? I thought you didn't want her to remember.”
“She was in danger.”
InuYasha's face softened slightly, “I'm kind of glad she came through” he admitted.
Sesshomaru turned and looked at him, “Why?”
“She was going nuts. Seeing strange things and hearing things. She thought she was crazy.”
InuYasha's eyes turned serious, “She dreamt about you every night.”
“She did?”
“Yes. And Kagome and I had to tell her it was just a dream. That you weren't real. We crushed that little girl's heart when we told her you weren't coming back for her.”
“And you felt bad?”
“Yes”
“You are weak InuYasha. No wonder you left this world. You would not have survived in these times now.”
“I did it to protect my family.”
“You human family” Sesshomaru stressed.
“When it comes to humans, I of course, bare no such weakness.”
InuYasha scoffed and pointed to a sleeping Rin, “Oh yeah? What about her?” Sesshomaru turned his cold eyes towards the young woman, “I sent her with you 8 years ago, did I not InuYasha? She holds nothing over me!”
“My ass!” InuYasha snarled.
Kagome lifted her head and leveled InuYasha with an icy glace that could've frozen the sea. He sheepishly smiled an apology and then turned back to his brother.
“Means nothing? Then why else are you wasting you time with us, following her around? It's to protect her!”
He jabbed a finger in Sesshomaru's face who growled slightly.
“That girl is the most important thing in your life!”
InuYasha stood, “Just don't get too attached to her again.” he said coldly.
“When we go home; we're taking her with us.”
Sesshomaru glared, “I will not stop you.”
InuYasha walked over Kagome and settled down with her and Sesshomaru turned to watch the stars in the sky.
 
Sesshomaru waited a few hours till he everyone was asleep before looking down at Rin again. She was still sleeping, but her body shivered in the night.
Looking around again to make sure no one was awake; Sesshomaru laid down and gently pulled her closer to his body. A small smile briefly touched his lips then he laid his head down and closed his eyes.
And the only one who witnessed this just smiled then closed her icy blue eyes.
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!!