InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Spy With My Little Eye ❯ And this is when everything changed ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FTAM: Hey again!
Here's the next chapter…
 
 
 
 
 
 
***************************************************************** *******
 
Kagome couldn't figure out what to do. She looked around her.
 
The corridor was deserted and at both sides of her there were only two shops. One was a beauty salon shop and another was a jungle looking shop selling camping gear inside.
 
She thought for a moment then smiled. She knew exactly what to do.
 
***************************************************************** *******
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome picked up the purse. It was a blue velvet cloth tied up neatly with a piece of elastic rope. She weighed it in her hand. It was rather heavy for large sums of cash and felt like a huge rock was actually inside it.
 
“Give it to me!”
 
Kagome jumped as she heard the rasped voice.
 
“Give it to me or I'll kill your friend here!” The man snarled as he pushed the knife deeper into Sango's neck so near that any slight movements would mean Sango getting sliced straight away.
 
Kagome forced herself to calm down. With trembling fingers she pry open the bag and was surprised to find a jewel falling out instead of the large sums of cash. She quickly caught it before it hit the floor and placed it gently down knowing that it was out of the man's reach.
 
The man started to look annoyed: “I said give it to me! Not open up the bag! Now put the jewel back into the bag and give it to me!”
 
Kagome looked at him then turned away and walked to the camping gear shop.
The man yelped in rage and covering Sango's mouth, made a little cut at Sango's throat.
Kagome turned when she heard Sango's muffled screams through the man's hand.
 
`I have to do this. I have to.' Kagome reassured herself as she took another step back.
 
“Hey girl! Don't you value your friend's life at all?” the man asked irritated.
 
“Well, how do I know you won't kill me too so I'm just grabbing…” Kagome leaned to the shop and broke a tree branch from the shop.
She then faced Sango and the man and walk back stick in hand.
 
The man snorted looking at the stick: “Whatever! Just hand the jewel to me now!”
 
Kagome bend down to fetch the jewel and wrapped the cloth over her arm so he couldn't see her bending the stick slightly without snapping it and she tied the elastic rope to the edges securely.
 
She looked at it satisfied. It looked more like a bow now. Sure it's just a stick and an elastic rope but she crossed her fingers and hoped it will work.
 
“Hurry up! I don't have all day!” the man snapped struggling to hold on to Sango who tried to break free.
 
Kagome spat out her chewing gum and placed it on top of her baton. She then placed the jewel on top of it.
 
The man was getting very annoyed. Here he is trying to get away with the precious jewel when these girls interfered and now that he has one captured; the other is taking such a long time to give the jewel to him. This girl he's holding wasn't very easy to keep hold either. He knew he couldn't last long.
 
He couldn't stand it any longer. He was going to grab the jewel and run.
He turned back to face her.
 
The velvet cloth had dropped to the floor and she was standing with something in her hand.
 
“Hey isn't that the jewel…”
 
“Yes, it is.” Kagome replied and drew her `arrow' back and fired.
 
The jewel hit the man on the head and the fast impact of the heavy jewel collided against his head and he fell.
 
Sango quickly leaped out of his grasp and punched him hard knocking him unconscious.
 
Kagome stared: “Sango that was some punch!”
 
“The jewel helped knocked him first, quick help me tie him up while he's unconscious.”
 
Kagome went over to Sango and was surprised to see a piece of rope coming out from Sango's backpack. Sango tied the man's arms and legs securely before whipping out her cellphone to place a call.
 
“Kagome if you would wait for me at the fountain for a moment. I'll meet you there. We have some things that we need to discuss.” Sango told her seriously.
 
Kagome left Sango and the unconscious man alone.
She walked to the fountain which was located in the middle of the mall.
She sat down and dipped a finger in the water swirling it deep in thought.
`It's like…like this has happened many times and isn't a surprise for Sango since it's not her first time. She handle it well…except the part where she was caught.'
 
“Kagome!”
 
Kagome turned around to see Sango looking at her chewing her lip nervously.
 
“Sango are you alright? Is it because of that cut?” Kagome examined her neck and saw a nasty little red gash.
 
“Sango!” she exclaimed. “You're bleeding!”
 
Sango shook her head. “Never mind. Come on. I need to bring you somewhere.”
 
Kagome watched her walk off before following her.
`What could be so important?' she wondered.
 
She followed Sango out the mall and into a long black limo. She looked at it curiously first before entering.
 
“Sango? What's going on?”
 
“You'll see later.” She took a can of coke from the mini fridge.
“You want a drink?” she offered.
 
Kagome shook her head. She tried to look out to see where she was going but the windows were black and she couldn't see anything. She felt trapped from the outside world without a clue of where she was going.
 
“It's alright. We'll be there soon. There's nothing to be worried about.” Sango studied her friend's face carefully.
 
“I'm not scared! I'm…just… what happened to the guy?” Kagome asked changing the subject.
 
“He's been dealt with already.”
 
“Oh. What about the jewel?”
 
“After everything is sorted, I'll tell you what happened. Let me just tell you this. That was all planned, the woman screaming and the man running away with the jewel.”
 
“Oh.”
 
Kagome could not think of anything to say so she just sunk into the seats and dozed off.
 
 
 
 
 
<**><**><**><**><**>
 
 
 
 
 
“Kagome. Wake up. Kagome. ” A soft voice spoke while shaking her.
 
“Mmm…” Kagome stirred. She blinked her eyes and sat up straight realizing that she had just dozed off.
 
“Kagome. Come on. Let's go.” Sango got out of the car and waited for her.
 
Kagome climbed out carefully and looked out. There were cars everywhere. You name them they've got them.
 
“Is this your garage?” Kagome widened her eyes when she saw many expensive brands.
 
“No” Sango laughed. “But I wouldn't mind owning a few of these cars here.”
 
“No kidding…” Kagome breathed in amazement to see all the cars.
 
“These are only the good cars that are on the market. Wait till you see the rest.” Sango smiled and walked out the door, turning back only to make sure that Kagome was following.
 
Kagome was surprised to see all the corridors, right, left, in this door and out the other. Eventually they reached a different area. It was a big room with some plump sofas at the sides for people to sit in. A big desk was at end of the room in the centre and a receptionist was there busy shuffling through papers.
 
“Excuse me…” Sango approached her.
 
“Aaah…Sango. How are you? She will see you shortly.” She said forcing out a smile.
 
Sango nodded her thanks and sat down on one of the sofas, picking up a magazine from a nearby table to read.
 
Kagome looked at the receptionist. She had her hair in a ponytail but a few wisps of hair were escaping and came down her face which she wiped away while busily typing on the computer. She stopped to give Kagome a brief glance and a thin smile.
 
“I see you're new. We'll we do need some new recruits so I'm glad. My name is Kanna and if you need anything don't hesitate to come and ask me. Now if you'll excuse me I have some work that I need to attend to.”
 
Kagome turned to sit next to Sango, her mind reeling.
`She didn't seem to be glad to see me at all and when she welcomed me, she sounded like she memorized the lines.'
`Recruits? What is going on?'
 
Before she knew it, Kanna was standing right in front of them.
“She can see you know.” She walked off briskly to return to her desk.
 
Sango put her magazine down and stood up.
 
Kagome gulped and walked into the room after Sango. It was a different place now. There were carpets on the floor and a fireplace at the side full of black soot and ash.
Behind a mahogany desk, a woman was sitting and two chairs were placed in front.
 
Kagome sat down and glanced at the woman.
She was very stylish. Her black hair was neatly up in a bun and long silver dangly earrings hanged from her ears. She had an upper cut collar dress with a deep turquoise and silver colour.
 
The woman looked up and smiled. Not a fake smile but a real one so the corners of her mouth lift up but her eyes looked tired and worn.
 
“Hello, you must be Kagome.” She introduced herself. “My name is Kagura and it's nice to meet you.”
 
“It's nice to meet you too.”
 
“I'm sure you're wondering what you are doing here. Don't worry I will explain everything but first I need you to sit a test.”
 
Kagura pressed the speaker button on her phone. “Kanna? Yes. We're ready. The test can start now.”
 
“Test? What test? Why do I have to sit a test?” Kagome was worried. She had enough problems with tests at school and she just went through a difficult algebra test today.
 
Kagura smiled mischievously: “Oh let me assure you that this test is like no other. Sango you can bring her there. Good luck Kagome.”
 
Kagome was still in shock as she followed Sango. `Oh gosh, hope I don't fail. Hope I don't fail. Hope I don't fail. Hope I…'
 
They stopped at a big black door and Sango turned around. “I need to leave you here.”
 
Sango gave her a hug. “You'd be fine. Just relax and think carefully. Never give up and you'll be surprised at how far you can go.” She advised and waved before she walked off.
 
Kagome stared at the door. It was so big…should she enter? What would be behind those doors?
 
Taking a deep breath, she walked in.
 
 
 
 
 
<**><**><**><**><**><**>
 
 
 
 
 
Sango paced around in Kagura's room.
 
“What if she gets injured? Oh no, I wish I could be there!”
 
“But you can't” Kagura interjected. “You know the procedures; she has to do it alone without a close friend to help her.”
 
“Yes, I know but…”
 
“She wouldn't be severely injured anyhow. We are monitoring her by camera. If anything happens, we can just pull her out quickly. It's about to start. Why don't we go to the monitor room now?” Kagura stood up to leave.
 
Sango nodded worriedly: “Well, oh right. I'm just overreacting.”
 
Kagura patted her head: “It's normal for best friends to worry. Come on. I have a good feeling that she should be fine.” She walked off eager to watch it.
 
“Ok and Kagura how many times have I told you not to pat me on my head. I'm 15 not 5!” Sango yelled at Kagura's back.
 
“Kagura? Are you even listening to me? Kagura!” Sango sighed as she ran to catch up with her boss.
 
 
 
 
 
 
<**><**><**><**><**>
 
 
 
 
“When will it start?” A man in his late thirties growled.
 
“Very soon sir, umm…I'll leave you to it.” His assistant terrified bowed and left.
 
“Hmm…” he swiveled his chair to his private monitor camera which his assistant had fixed into his office. He was interested to see how this girl would do in her test.
He smirked to think that the girl didn't know that she was being watched through monitors nor did she realize that she was sitting a test to get into a spy agency. The very best too and no one has been recruited for the past two years so he was surprised that they have found someone and placed them in the test so quickly.
 
He opened his folder to read her profile.
“Kagome Higurashi…huh?”
He turned to his monitor camera.
“Well, this will be interesting…”
 
 
 
 
 
<**><**><**><**><**>
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome walked in. It was pitched dark and she couldn't see a thing.
 
“Hello?” she cried out and her voice echoed and bounced off the walls.
 
Suddenly, the room was full of her voices yelling `hello, hello, hello, hello…'
 
Kagome covered her ears in fright: `Wow now I know how having lots of fans feels like…'
 
She walked further on. She could see light ahead of hear. She squint her eyes and walked until she reached a big vast room. There was a big swimming pool ahead of her with a few obstacles on it.
 
“What should I do? Where should I go?” Kagome asked to no one in particular.
She sat down and sighed. She had no idea where to start this so called `test'.
She looked down sadly thinking that she must have failed as she didn't know what to do until she saw something.
She rubbed her eyes.
`No, I'm not dreaming. There are words here. I wonder what it is.”
 
Kagome stood up and read it aloud.
 
“Welcome to your first task. You will need to pass through all the obstacles and reached the other end in 3 minutes. There are three obstacles to pass. Your first clue is given here but the rest you will have to find and retrieve.
The first clue. Start at the diving board. Your time starts once you dive off that board.”
 
Kagome climbed up the diving board and looked down. She was never afraid of heights and she did learn how to swim before so she wouldn't drown.
She sucked in her breath and dived.
 
Splash!
 
Kagome broke out to surface. She knew she only had three minutes which meant a minute for each obstacle.
 
`Where's the next clue.' She looked around but couldn't see anything. Then it suddenly occurred to her. She dived under and looked. `Yes! I was right. It was underneath me just like the first clue.'
`Let's see. Ring the church bell to find your last clue.'
 
Kagome looked around. The pool was mainly empty except for a few balls and items in the water.
`Wait there's an obstacle there with a rope dangling at the end! That must be it!'
 
She quickly swam to it and got up. She's done these types of obstacles many times before with Souta. They would try and race each other to the finish line without falling in.
 
Kagome ran balancing herself so she would not fall into the water as if she did the only way up was at the beginning and that would waste time. She climbed over and crawled under all the objects in her way until she got to the rope.
The rope was dangling less than a metre away from her.
 
`What if I miss? Oh no!'
 
Kagome eyed the rope warily. She was never good at long jump. She could never jump very far. The clock was ticking away.
 
She gathered herself together and jumped.
 
She panicked when she found herself too short to reach the rope. She stretched her arms but soon found that she was not able to reach it.
 
`No. I can't lose at just the first task! What would Sango say?'
Kagome thought back to what her best friend said: “You'd be fine.” Sango had told her.
 
`Yes!' Kagome became determined. `I will get this rope!'
She swung her legs upwards and grabbed the rope before she fell into the water.
 
The rope pulled a bell hanging upwards.
 
Ding! Ding!
 
`Yes!' Kagome thought happily receiving the note that fell when the rope was pulled.
 
“Swim to the red door and go to the next level.” She read.
 
She looked for the red door. It was at the far end of the pool and after seeing the clock she realizes she only had 30 seconds. She had spent too much time deciding whether to jump off that rope!
 
She dashed in the pool and swam as hard as she could.
`I can make it! I can make it!'
 
Kagome reached out and her hand hit something cold and hard.
 
Beep!
 
She gasped breaking the surface of the water. She made it! Just in time too!
 
Panting heavily, Kagome got up and walked to the red door.
 
The sign above had `removed your shoes' on so Kagome obeyed.
 
Soon she found herself in a bare room with wooden floors.
 
She gasped when she saw a familiar figure walk in.
 
“You!”
 
“Yes, me!”
 
 
 
 
 
 
FTAM: So how was that? Okay the proper plot is going to take a while before it starts, sorry… but hey! How do you guys find it so far? Remember to review!!!