InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ Hot to Trot on the Foxes Trail ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Hot-to-Trot on the Foxes Trail

Kagome gasped as Inuyasha leaned closer still. His damp silver hair slipped past his shoulders to form a veil around her flushed face.

"Kagome..."

Startled as all heck, Kagome's jaw dropped when she heard her own name in his deep, gruff voice. His gilded eyes studied her face intently, barely inches from her own. And when he spoke, the words brushed her lips.

Hearing the bushes around them rustle, Inuyasha was shaken from his daze. He blinked rapidly in confusion.

"Ka...gome?" He sat up slightly, unconsciously putting an arm around her shoulder to guide her up as well.

Curling into and awkward ball, she buried her face in her raised knees; her emerald eyes peering nervously back at him. Her cheeks flushed and she edged in the other direction, trying to turn around.

Frowning, Inuyasha grasped her shoulder again, stopping her.

"What's wrong?" His eyes trailed from her watery green eyes down to her bare shoulders, falling past the ends of her sodden ebony hair, to her...

"Gah!!!" He released her shoulder and clapped one hand over his eyes. "Uh... sorry."

"Umm... yeah. So... what are we going to do?" Kagome gazed nervously around.

"I have no-"

"Oh ho ho! What have we here?" Miroku, who had miraculously escaped the clutches of Sango, loomed over one of the bushes to their left. "My my my... Inuyasha! You're a naughty-"

"Back off!" Inuyasha abruptly threw his arms around Kagome and pulled her behind him. Feeling an irrepressible urge to protect, he rose to his feet, keeping one arm firmly wrapped around the middle of Kagome's back. With the other, he pointed threateningly at the monk. "You just keep your hands, eyes, and your thoughts to yourself! Take one step closer and I'll kick your ass!" Leaving a dumbstruck Miroku staring blankly at them, they began to make their way back to their clothes. "Hey, Sango!"

Appearing from behind a tree, the boomerang-toting young woman jabbed a finger at the still stunned Miroku.

"Ah ha!!! There you are! Don't move you pervert! YOU'RE MINE!"

Miroku let out a terrified shriek as she raised her weapon. He turned and made a beeline for the nearest clump of trees.

"Kirara!" Sango called, still pointing at the fleeing monk.

The larger form of the little fox-like creature came bounding out of a bush, pouncing angrily on the young man as he scrambled to change directions, which only served in sending him to the ground that much faster.

The last thing the half-naked pair heard was the anguished cry of Miroku as Kirara, following her masters' orders, sat on him, silencing any further protest.

---------------------------------------------------

After finding their clothes, Sango and Kaede left with Kirara to attempt another search for Shippou. Inuyasha sat wrapped in a blanket by the fire while his clothes dried. Kagome sat close behind him, draping a towel over his head and scrubbing his hair dry.

"You know Kagome; my hair will dry just fine on its own." Every other word he said was louder than the last as Kagome stroked his hair. When the towel wasn't removed, he sighed, giving up. It wasn't that bad anyway.

Kagome kept drying with an oblivious smile on her face. First she had woken up in Inuyasha's arms, and then she had seen his flawless body, even had a fun time in the hot springs! AND she managed to keep her dignity! It was only around noon and her day was already great!

"Just consider this a thank you for saving me."

"I didn't..." Inuyasha sighed, he hadn't really saved her. "Whatever."

Kagome continued to massage his scalp in small circles, paying special attention to his ears, which he particularly enjoyed.

Inuyasha found himself leaning into her hands as she touched his ears. Her movements were making him very comfortable, and very sleepy. He sighed, looking around through half-lidded eyes at the monk across from him. Jealousy was written plainly across his features as he nursed his wounds from the earlier beating.

`Lucky dog.' He mouthed irritably.

Inuyasha smirked, causing Miroku's frown to deepen.

`You know it.' He mouthed back.

Just as Inuyasha was about to make another comment Sango burst out of the underbrush.

"We... found... something." She panted heavily from her run.

"What is it, Sango?" Kagome dropped the towel on the ground, standing up with Inuyasha to gather his clothes. On the way, Kagome grabbed her bow and arrows, and Inuyasha picked up his sword.

"Kaede found some or Shippou's warning signs." She straightened, motioning with her hand, "C'mon; I'll show you."

Inuyasha and Kagome soon discovered that being stuck so close together posed problems when one tries to walk quickly. They couldn't walk side beside because the beads wouldn't accommodate the space needed. They couldn't walk one by one, because they were so close that the person in back would be walking up the back of the leaders legs. Finally Inuyasha decided that he would walk right behind her shoulder, their legs wouldn't get tangled, and there was room enough for that. But that position caused another problem. His hand just happened to hang right by her backside. If he accidentally brushed her there, she might pass it off as him trying to pull a `Miroku' on her, and use it as an excuse to S-I-T him. Unfortunately, Inuyasha saw only one solution to this problem. (At least for this story there is only one suitable way to go).

Kagome was startled as she felt a pressure around her lower back and a weight on her hip. Looking down, she was shocked to find an arm wrapped firmly around her. Turning her questioning gaze to the owner of said arm, she found Inuyasha looking tensely in the other direction, the faint hints of a blush tinting his cheeks. Kagome allowed herself a gentle smile. Her day just kept getting better!

When they reached Kaede and Kirara, they discovered that there was indeed a trail of little red and white spotted mushrooms.

"That's funny, these weren't here a second ago." Sango spoke, noting that there were more than before. "Maybe they really only... turn on... for Kagome."

"That's not the only thing that turns on for Kagome." Miroku spoke quietly, looking pointedly at Inuyasha, who let out a warning growl, silence the monk.

"Yeah, yeah. Great, great. Let's go."

-------------------------------------------------------

The group immediately set out to follow them, hoping to find their missing member. Everyone climbed atop Kirara, and they set off after the trail of fungi.

After about five minutes, they reached a large cliff. The sheer drop seemed endless as they peered over the edge. Frighteningly enough, that was where the signals stopped.

Kagome peered cautiously over the ridge.

"You don't think..." Worry was clear in her voice.

"I sure hope not." Sango was equally concerned.

"That would be most unfortunate." Kaede echoed.

Their two companions remained silent, but it was obvious that they were worried as well. At least, as worried as the one who chased him off in the first place, and a girl-crazed-pervert of a monk could be.

"Looking for this?"

A raspy, cold voice sounded from behind them, followed by a squeal of annoyance.

Turning around, they were met with the image of a strange person. What they guessed was a `he', looked like a cross between a ghost and lizard. With scaly skin, long, clawed hands, and an effervescent vapor that stirred around him, making it look like he levitated off the ground. He wore strange, billowing blue robes over his green skin. From one hand, dangling by the tail, was Shippou, struggling madly against his captor. As soon as the little fox laid eyes on Kagome, he doubled his efforts, letting out cries of frustration when his attempts were fruitless.

"Kagome!" The kitsune cried helplessly.

"Who the hell are you?" Inuyasha demanded fiercely, brandishing Tetsusaiga.

Eyeing the half-demon as if he was an insect, but ignoring the question, he addressed the whole group.

"Where is this...Kagome?" The creature questioned again. His yellow eyes scanned their small gathering, fixing on the girl behind the silver-haired guy with the sword. "Ah, there is my prize. The girl who can sense the shards of the Shikon no Tama."

"Is that what this was?" Shouted Miroku. "You took a hostage in hopes of baiting Kagome?"

Inuyasha snorted.

"To bad you picked such a sorry excuse for a hostage."

The blue-robed man released Shippou, who landed on his head and as soon as he recovered, ran frantically in Kagome's waiting arms.

"But it worked, did it not?"

Kagome set Shippou on the ground before stepping around Inuyasha.

"Don't count you're chickens before their hatched, buddy!" She yelled, drawing her bow.

The enemy blinked.

"Chickens? I have no chickens..."

Kagome let the bow drop.

"I guess that phrase wasn't as popular in feudal Japan." She thought dismally.

"What are these chickens you speak of? What meaning have they?" The lizard man was as confused as Inuyasha was getting annoyed.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes.

"It means to bad for you, because you can't have her!" His sword transformed to its more powerful form. "Now, I'll ask you again. Who the hell are you?"

With a slow, gallant bow, the snake-like man smiled, baring fangs much longer than those of Inuyasha.

"I am Midori. And I suggest you remember the name. That is, if you ever want a chance of seeing your female again."

Nobody even blinked, but in an instant, he was face to face with the angry hanyou. The creature now known as Midori smirked.

"Because I intend to make her mine."