InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ Isolation Kills ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm back! Thank you to Ayame_wolfdemon, my one and only reviewer! You rock! The rest of this story is gonna be dedicated to you! And as for the rest of you... I know you're out there! The stats say people are reading! If you like this story in the least, show your support people! Alright, on to the next chapter...

Chapter 4: Isolation Kills

If Inuyasha was startled, he did not show it. Letting out a snarl, he took a swing with his sword. But in that moment, Midori was standing a ways in front of him.

The lizard demon laughed at the hanyou's surprised expression.

"What's wrong? Am I to fast for you?" And he was gone again.

Inuyasha growled in frustration as he scanned the area for any sign of the demon.

"Where are you? You bastard! Stop running away!"

"A typical response." Midori laughed.

Before Inuyasha could do anything but gasp, the demon braced one foot against the half-demons back and gave him a surprisingly strong shove; tossing both Inuyasha and Kagome to the ground a few yards away.

Inuyasha groaned as he sat up, but was more concerned about the motionless girl beside him.

"Kagome!" He leaned over her, cradling her face with one hand to gently tip it towards himself; eyes frantically searching for any sign of injury. "Kagome, are you alright?"

One hand came up to cover his own as her eyes flickered open.

"I... I'm okay."

Relief flooded over him. He reached out and eased them both back onto their feet, keeping a hand on her shoulder until she was steady. Stooping to pick up his blade, which had been lost in the last attack, he turned to face Midori again.

"You bastard. You're gonna pay for that."

The full demon made a beckoning motion with his hands.

"We shall see."

In an instant the only thing Kagome could feel was a painful yank on the beads, followed by a sense of weightlessness. She could hear Inuyasha grunt in pain as he wrapped his arms firmly around her. Then the sickening jolt as the half-demons back connected with the ground. Kagome cried out un anguish as they came to a stop. Inuyasha had taken the force of the blow with her extra weight on his chest.

"Inuyasha! Are you alright? Say something!" She edge off of his body and slowly sat him up.

He cracked one eye open to look her over again.

"I'm fine. I'm just lucky I didn't break any ribs."

Kagome heaved an enormous sigh of relief.

"Oh thank good- HEY!!! What's that supposed to mean!?" Having forgotten all concern for Inuyasha's condition. She moved as far away as the necklace would allow and shook a fist at him. "You know you're really asking for it!"

Inuyasha said nothing, but his lips curled in the smallest of smiles and his eyes shone with laughter, making her anger fade quickly into a exasperated smile. Getting to his feet with the help of Kagome, they advanced on the quietly chuckling reptile.

"That is quite touching. But I have yet to see any sort of retaliation on your part." He crossed his scaly arms over his chest. "I am still waiting."

While the demon was preoccupied with bashing Inuyasha's already bruised dignity, Sango silently began to creep towards Midori. Raising her boomerang, she sent it flying at his unguarded back. The weapon struck him square between the shoulders, sending him to his knees with an angry grunt.

With an enraged growl, he stood and turned to face his attacker; his expression a mixture of pain and pure hatred. He picked the offending object up from the ground and hurled it backwards over his shoulder into the trees.

Sango, now unarmed, looked on with an unfazed air as Midori disappeared again. He emerged a few yards from the woman, still standing proud and determined as he paused.

Midori made a face as if her were smelling something he didn't like.

"What is that?" He sniffed. "You must be a demon exterminator. You reek of the blood of demons. You retch. It appears as if I shall not only be dispensing of an insect, but avenging my brethren as well." He moved forward in a way that showed he was even more angry than he had been. "Die you scum!"

"No!"

Miroku shoved Sango out of the way just as Midori reached them, grasping him firmly around the neck. The monk choked and gasped, clawing at the spiny fingers that denied him air.

The demon let out a snake-like hiss as he realized the person dangling from his grip was not the young woman, but a heavily robed young man.

"So, you want in on the fun? Well fine!" He sent Miroku crashing into a nearby tree and watched with satisfaction as the monk slumped unconscious to the ground. The demon exterminator screamed and ran to aid her fallen comrade. He then turned and began to stalk towards his initial prey. "I want that girl!"

Inuyasha tucked Kagome close behind him. Drawing his sword again, he tensed as the demon faded out again. He felt Kagome press closer to him in alarm.

In another unbelievably fast motion, they were both against the ground again.

Midori grinned maliciously as he pressed his foot harder into Inuyasha's throat, causing the half-demon to choke; sinking his claws into his ankle as he tried to free himself.

"Inuyasha!" Kagome shrieked. She flung herself at Midori`s leg, trying in vain to lift him off the hanyou. "Let him go! It's me you want! Leave him alone! Please!"

Midori ignored her pleas, but reached down, grabbing her by the arms and pulling her up.

"I'll be taking my prize no- what is this?" He set her down again and lifted the beads with two fingers. He examined the strange beads closely, noting that they bound the nuisance to the girl. "No matter. I'll just remove them." He leaned down further and took a span of the beads in two fists, and began to pull them apart. However, in a second, he was engulfed in what looked like purple flames. He reeled backwards and shouted in pain and anger. "Damn it!"

Kagome immediately sat Inuyasha up, patting his back in an attempt to coax the oxygen back into his lungs.

Inuyasha coughed and gasped, but looked no worse for wear as he quickly jumped to his feet.

"You bastard." He hissed through clenched teeth, his free hand rubbing his sore throat. He shrugged off the hands on his shoulder and glared back at Kagome. "I'm fine." Inuyasha only registered a flicker in Midori's stance, but couldn't figure out what had happened. Suddenly pain surged from his chest. He cried out and fell to his knees, doubling over; an almost hysterical Kagome hovering over him. "Damn it." The stupid lizard had attacked him in the blink of a god damned eye! He placed a hand on his chest. Getting up into an unsteady standing position, he growled, and then flung the same hand towards his enemy. "Blades of Blood!!!"

Midori roared as he was hit head on with the force of the attack. The red blades of the attack carved across his chest and arms, leaving gaping wounds behind. Gathering what was left of his strength, he staggered forward, fazed out, and reappeared at Inuyasha's side.

"Enough!" He roared again. He seized Inuyasha by the neck and disappeared again taking Inuyasha and Kagome with him; reappearing on the edge of the cliff. He held Inuyasha out over the abyss, causing Kagome to shriek, teetering dangerously on the ridge. "What say you now, you worthless half demon?"

Inuyasha choked as the grip tightened painfully, but managed a small smirk.

"You drop me... and your `prize' is done for."

Midori's sneer faded. Realizing his predicament, he decided that he needed to retreat temporarily.

"Right you are. I have no other option. But rest assured, I will be back." He lowered Inuyasha slightly. "But until then, I will leave you this to keep you occupied." Then he was gone.

Immediately Kagome cried out as she was flattened to the ground; an unbearable pain around her neck.

Inuyasha hung suspended by nothing but the beads caught around the front of his neck.

"Inu...yasha..." Kagome gasped. "I... can't... breath..." Her throat was pressed flat against the edge of the cliff, cutting off her airway. She tried desperately to lift herself, but she couldn't move with the weight around her neck.

Inuyasha suddenly realized their situation. Kagome was being suffocated, and there was no way to get them up. Sango was trying to help a still dazed Miroku, Shippou was to small, and Kaede was to old. But wait...

"Kaede!" Inuyasha called. "Kaede, I need you to free us! For Kagome's sake!" He could hear the older woman quickly approach. Being desperate, he even said a word he hadn't spoken for as long as he could remember.

"Please."

"No!" Kagome forced out. "It's to... far. We don't... know if you... can survive..." She gave a strained whimper. "No... Inuyasha..."

"But you remember how I was fine after I fell off the last cliff." He explained quickly.

"But this... cliff is deeper... We can't even... see... the bottom..."

"We have to do this Kagome. There's no way I'm going to let you get hurt."

Kagome kept silent, knowing he was right. She shut her eyes tightly, tears falling silently down her cheeks.

"Do it Kaede." Inuyasha called.

Kaede quickly uttered the counter spell to the one that made the beads unbreakable.

Inuyasha twisted on his end of the beads.

Golden eyes met green.

"It's alright."

The band snapped.

And Inuyasha plummeted into the darkness of the gorge.

Kagome hands shot out to snatch the last of the beads, and she felt her chest swell with emotion.

"INUYASHA!!!"

...

...

...

Her cry echoed hauntingly off the walls of the rift... but no reply was heard.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Was that to evil? I hope that makes sure you ALL come back for more. You guys better review! Or you'll never find out what happens! Am I truly evil enough kill off Inuyasha? Hmmm... maybe I am if I don't get reviews! Alrighty then, tune in next time for chapter 5! `Never Knew the Worth'