InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ Room to Breathe ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yay! Thanks for the reviews! I hope you enjoy the next chapter! And I apologize for my grammar, Amelia Silver, I'm not that great at stuff like that. But thanks for pointing it out! I'll be more careful in the future and now, on with the story!

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha

Ch 6: Room to Breath

Inuyasha was awake well before dawn. Glancing down at their still slumbering comrades, he shifted Kagome gently in his arms. Turning his eyes to her peaceful expression, he raised a hand to stifle a yawn. The sun was just beginning to tint the sky pink. He reached out, combing his fingers through her soft hair. He blinked.

`What did I just do?'

Kagome sighed, squirming slightly. Her eyes fluttered open, immediately widening as she realized she was at least three stories up in a tree. Before she could shriek, Inuyasha's low voice interrupted her.

"You're awake." He stated, removing his arms from around her waist. "Good."

"Um... Uh-huh." The memories of last night came flooding back, causing her to blush.

Inuyasha moved behind her. He grasped her sides and stood them up slowly. Then he wrapped one arm around her again, and jumped off of the branch. They dropped quickly, landing silently on the ground next to Kagome's belongings.

Kneeling, Kagome began to shuffle through her bag, accidentally knocking a textbook to the ground. Textbook. School.

`School!'

"Oh no! I was supposed to go back to school today!" Kagome glanced up at Inuyasha, who was doubled over; the beads taut around his neck. "But that's obviously not going to happen." She sighed, shoving various objects back into her sack. "But I suppose we could use some more supplies. You'll just have to come to my time." She smiled up at Inuyasha, who squatted down next to her.

"Only if you bring back extra ramen."

Kagome sighed.

"Fine. We'll get you more ramen while we're there."

Tucking more books into the pockets, Kagome turned to Inuyasha, who was watching something off in the other direction.

"Hey, Inuyasha can you hand me that-"

Inuyasha and Kagome froze, gently locked at the lips as they stared, shocked, into each others eyes. (You knew it was gonna happen! You KNEW it!) Inuyasha had forgotten about their close proximity as he'd turned around. Both blushed as bright as tomatoes, but neither one could pull back, still shocked. Kagome could feel her heart racing, and she felt light headed. Inuyasha felt a strange surge of an emotion he couldn't describe; it threatened to overwhelm him. Finally, Inuyasha was forced to pull back for lack of breath. Both panting they stared at each other.

Kagome gulped. Moving back, she averted her eyes, and gestured to a towel that was lying on the ground behind Inuyasha.

"That towel." She finished quietly.

Inuyasha turned numbly, grabbing the cause of their incident and shoving it at her. He opened his mouth to speak, but his voice failed him. Clearing his throat, he tried again.

"Um... yeah... here."

"Thanks." Kagome quickly finished packing, stood up and threw her bag over her shoulder.

After scrawling a short note for the others, Kagome climbed on Inuyasha's back, and in an awkward silence they set off for the well. All the way plagued by thoughts of their accidental kiss.

------------------------------------------

Fifteen minutes later, Inuyasha and Kagome were struggling to heave their stuck selves and the heavy bag out of the well. Managing to finally drag themselves out, they were greeted by Souta, who was watching curiously from the doorway. His eyes lit up as he saw Inuyasha, and he came scrambling down the stairs to see his hero.

"Inuyasha! Wow! What are you doing here? You don't normally come home with Kagome, so what are you doing here? Are you visiting? Did you bring you're sword? Did you bring it? Huh? Did you? Did you fight any cool demons while you were away? Did you? Tell me!"

Inuyasha, seeing the young boy take a deep breath to begin another barrage of questions, drew himself up to his full height; smirking as Souta was sent into a state of shocked, and silent, awe.

Kagome rolled her eyes at their behavior.

"Souta, we're just here for some supplies. If you want to hang around than do it quietly."

Souta pouted, eyeing his sister.

"I don't have to do what you tell me to. Right Inuyasha? You don't mind if... Hey, what's that?" Souta leaned closer, staring with wide eyes at the strand of beads around both of their necks. "Are you two stuck or somethin'?"

Kagome stomped past her little brother, dragging Inuyasha along with her as she climbed the stairs.

"Go away Souta! We're busy!"

Needless to say, Souta did not `go away.' But rather followed at a safe distance until they were faced with Kagome's grandfather. Before he even opened his mouth, Kagome knew what he was going to ask, so she quickly retold the story of how they ended up bound together.

The elderly man stood quietly scratching his beard. He circled them, scrutinizing the beads. He picked them up and took a long, hard look at them, still pulling absently at his beard with one hand. Then he turned to his granddaughter.

"You know, Kagome. I'm sure I know an incantation or two that could get rid of these for you." He looked expectantly from Kagome to Inuyasha, who looked quite uncomfortable.

Kagome, however, looked absolutely horrified.

"Oh gee, thanks grandpa! But we're okay, really! We're just gonna go and get some things and then go back down the well. Okay? Bye!" Then she grabbed Inuyasha by the wrist and dashed off towards the house, leaving her grandfather behind.

"What was that all about?" Inuyasha asked, once they had reached the house and slowed down again.

"The last time Buyo was acting strangely, Grandpa thought he was possessed. That poor cat had seals stuck all over him for a week until we found out he just had worms. Trust me, we don't want Grandpa's help." Kagome stopped outside the door that led to the kitchen, sliding it open, they saw her mother standing at the sink. Kagome smiled and dropped her bag on the table. "Hi mom! I'm back. We need to get some supplies."

"We?" The woman turned, spying Inuyasha. "Oh! Inuyasha! What a pleasant surprise. It's so nice to see you. What brings you here?" She smiled as she approached. Seeing the necklace, she opened her mouth to speak; a questioning expression on her face.

And so Kagome again launched into the story of how they ended up stuck together.

"-and Inuyasha fell of a cliff but he's okay as you can see so we came back to our time and here we are!" Kagome took a deep breath before smiling at her mother.

"Uh-huh..." Kagome's mother had an expression that seemed to say that she really hadn't understood most of what her daughter had been saying, but she smiled anyway. "Well I'm glad you're alright Inuyasha. But I can take care of that necklace for you in a snap!" She turned, opened a drawer, and pulled out a pair of scissors.

Images of Midori engulfed in the violet flames immediately filled Kagome's and Inuyasha's minds.

Mrs. Higurashi's hand closed around the beads as she caught the band between the two blades.

"Wait!" Inuyasha cried.

"No mom! Don't!" Kagome exclaimed.

Both winced visibly as a quick `snip' was heard. The beads around their neck fell easily away as the older woman backed off. Kagome's mother smiled and dropped the beads on the table next to Kagome's bag.

Kagome and Inuyasha looked down at themselves. The first to lose their expression of confusion and shock was Kagome, who smiled widely.

"Hey! We're not stuck anymore! Alright!" She flung her arms in the air in triumph, only to find her wrist stuck to Inuyasha's. Kagome blinked, pulling insistently on Inuyasha's arm. Their eyes met before they began to both pull harder. But to no avail. They were still stuck.

Inuyasha growled in frustration.

"What the hell? The beads must wear off when we cross time! But the spell doesn't! Damn it!" He grabbed Kagome's elbow for more leverage, and gave a harsh yank. His wrist came free, but they were now connected by Kagome's elbow and his hand.

"Now what are you going to do, Kagome? You've got that really important test today in school. You can't go stuck together like that can you?" Her mother wondered aloud.

"Ah! The test! I can't miss it! If I miss this test I'll be held back a year! What am I going to do?" She thought hard for a solution as Inuyasha fought to get them unstuck. Finally coming to a conclusion, she grabbed his hand in hers. "Inuyasha! You're going to have to come to school with me. I'll get changed and there's a small department store around the corner from the school! We'll get you some knew clothes on the way! C'mon!" Kagome dragged him up the stairs to her bedroom.

Inuyasha frowned.

"Hey! What's wrong with my clothes?"

---------------------------------------------------------

Twenty minutes later they were tearing down the sidewalk towards the department store.

"Almost there! It`s right down here... Oh no!" Kagome came to a screeching halt a few yards from the doorway.

"Hey! What's the big idea?" Inuyasha grouched, regaining his balance after the abrupt stop.

"It's my friends! They can't see us like this! They can't see you like that! Quick!" She grabbed his arm and flung them against the wall behind a large bush. Pressing herself flat against Inuyasha she shushed him as the three girls neared their hiding spot.

"Hey! Did you guys see that new movie? The one with that cop and that strange alien?"

"Oh yeah! That was soooo cool!"

"And the actor is soooo hot! I could just die!"

"Yeah! If I had a boyfriend like that..."

Inuyasha watched over Kagome's head as three girls, all in matching uniforms, disappeared down the street; their voices fading.

"Their gone, Kagome." He spoke up when she didn't move.

"I know. But..." Her voice was muffled by his chest. "I'm stuck!"

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at her. Stepping forward, he found that they were indeed fused at the front. He reached out and grabbed her hand, releasing the girl, who backed away quickly, her face flushed.

"Thanks! Okay, let's hurry. I can't be late!" She again dragged him by the arm up the remaining feet to the store.

Inuyasha jumped as the doors opened by themselves with a quiet hiss.

"Damn! The doors are possessed?" He exclaimed, reaching for his sword, which wasn't there. "Hey!"

Kagome grabbed his hand and forced him through the doorway.

"They're not possessed, Inuyasha! They're automatic! And Tetsusaiga is back at home. Remember?" She turned with a smile plastered across her face as a store attendant approached them.

"Good morning! Can I help you find anything?"

Kagome pulled Inuyasha in front of her.

"He needs some new clothes. A pair of jeans, a tee-shirt, some socks and a pair of sneakers should be fine. But I'm not sure what size he is."

The young woman nodded, trying to pretend she didn't find his strange robes, bare feet, and ears the least bit weird.

"Alright. No problem. We'll just get him measured quickly. And then we can find him some clothes."

Kagome nodded. They followed the woman as she walked into a back room, where two other women sat waiting. They immediately jumped to their feet at the sight of Inuyasha, grabbing various measuring tapes and grinning ear to ear as they approached.

"What clothes! Don't worry dear! We'll have you fixed up in a jiffy!"

Inuyasha was then attacked. They swarmed all over him. They wrapped strange ropes around his chest and his waist and various other places. He looked ready to belt one woman as she measured his inseam. But then as quickly as they had come, they retreated again.

The woman from before appeared again.

"Alright. Why don't you two head out to the changing rooms while I find some clothes. Jeans right? And what color shirt did you want?"

Kagome eyed his robes.

"Red will be fine." Red was definitely his color.

Five minutes later, Inuyasha had shed his old robes, and was clad in a pair of jeans, a red shirt, and a pair of new shoes.

Inuyasha glared at himself. He plucked at the shirt, which was a bit more snug than he would have liked. Why the hell did he have to wear these clothes?

"Why are their two of me?" He asked, turning, but not taking his eyes off his clone.

Kagome sighed, folding his old clothes and putting them into a bag the clerk had given them.

"There aren't two of you. It's a mirror. Now c'mon, we've only got fifteen minutes until class starts."

They stopped at the cash register on their way out. Kagome sighed as she dealt out the majority of her remaining allowance.

The clerk smiled as she watched the girl pluck a baseball hat off a nearby rack, and pull it down over her friends head; tucking the ears underneath. Much to the annoyance of her silver haired companion.

`Why doesn't he just take the ears off?' She thought.

------------------------------------------------------

They rushed through the crowded hallways of Kagome's high school, earning strange glances as Inuyasha was tugged by the hand through the doorway of a classroom.

Kagome froze three steps into the room, feeling the eyes of her fellow classmates on them. She smiled sheepishly and began to make her way back towards her seat.

"Miss Higurashi..."

Kagome jumped, turning guiltily around to face her teacher.

"Miss Higurashi, I have no problem with you having a guest in my class. Even if it is during a test. But you know it's against school policy to wear hats in school. He'll have to take it off."

Kagome quickly stepped up to her teacher, standing on tiptoes to whisper something in his ear.

The man nodded, listened, and then nodded again. Then his expression became shocked, then slightly embarrassed. Then he nodded again. He made a shooing motion with his hand.

"I'll allow it."

"Thank you, sir." Kagome bowed slightly, before leading Inuyasha to two empty desks in the back of the class.

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow, wondering what the heck she could have told him to make his face turn so red.

Kagome instructed Inuyasha to si- take a seat, and then sat down herself; their hands stretching across the aisle. "Now, I need you to behave Inuyasha. No noise. What-so-ever. Okay?"

Inuyasha fidgeted in discomfort but nodded. Looking around the room, he saw the girls from earlier staring directly at him. Their eyes almost as wide as dinner plates.

Kagome sensed his discomfort, and seeing the girls unblinking stares, slowly inched her foot across the narrow aisle until their ankles met. Then she let go of his hand, directing her attention back at the front of the room as the teacher began to hand out the tests.

As the room became silent, Inuyasha sat as still as a rock. Only his eyes shifted to gaze around at the other students; their heads bent low over their desks. Quickly becoming bored, Inuyasha propped his chin in his hand, leaning on the desk. Looking over at Kagome, he couldn't help but remember how soft her lips had felt. How good it had felt. The feelings it had awakened. Lost in his thoughts, he barely registered the rest of the class getting up to leave.

Kagome tugged at his arm to gain his attention. Then, grabbing his hand, she walked around their desk, dragging him to the door.

"Hurry!"

They scooted out the door just as her friends started to call out for her to wait. But by the time they reached the door, Kagome and Inuyasha had disappeared down the hall again.

---------------------------------------------

Kagome sighed as they stopped a ways down the corridor; still gripping Inuyasha's hand tightly in her own.

"Phew! That was close! One crisis averted. I got my test done and the rest of the day should be a breeze!"

"Hey! Kagome!"

Kagome gasped.

"Oh no!"

Inuyasha watched as she turned to face the boy who was jogging up to her.

"Hey Kagome! Nice to see you again! Are you feeling better? I hope those kidney transplants went okay." He gave her a huge smile.

Kagome blanched.

`Kidney transplants!? What was grandpa thinking!?'

"Um.. yeah! I'm great! All better!" She laughed quietly.

The boy now known as Hojo caught a glimpse of their linked hands.

"Hey, Kagome, who's this?" He gestured to Inuyasha.

"Oh! This is, umm... my... cousin! My cousin... Midori!" She grinned, tightening her grip on Inuyasha's hand as she sensed his anger.

Hojo blinked, his face blank. But then he smiled again, oblivious.

"Oh! Okay! Nice to meet you, Midori. Well anyway, Kagome, I was wondering if you'd like to see a movie with me tonight. Say around seven?"

Kagome blushed.

Inuyasha suppressed the urge to tear this guys face off. He knew what was going on here. Managing for once to control his anger, he stepped forward.

"Sorry, buddy. But Kagome already promised to take me to the mall tonight. Maybe some other time."

Kagome blinked. Was he jealous? Why did he seem so angry?

Hojo's constant smile never wavered.

"Oh, okay. Maybe later. See you later Kagome. It was nice meeting you Midori." And he walked off down the hall.

Kagome blinked, watching as Inuyasha glared at Hojo's retreating back. Then she smiled. He'd been protecting her from Hojo like he had protected her from Koga. She squeezed his hand slightly, earning herself an odd glance from Inuyasha.

"C'mon Inuyasha, it's time for our next class." She moved to walk down the hall again, but he wouldn't budge. "C'mon Inuyasha, what's wrong?"

Inuyasha looked uncomfortable.

"Well, I didn't want to mention this earlier, but I uh... have to go to the bathroom..."

Whoa! That one was ten pages! That was kind of a strange chapter though... Oh well! The next one will be a bit shorter. Keep reading and reviewing! You guys are great!