InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ A Modern Day Out ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Alright! I'm back! Sorry about the wait! thanks for the review! Enjoy!

Chapter 7: A Modern Day Out

It felt like one of those scenes from the old westerns. Two grungy men wielding six shooters face off in some desolate, dusty old street. A quick draw. A showdown at high noon: they stand there, whip out their six shooters and one ends up six feet under. Kagome waited for the infamous tumbleweed to roll across the barren hallway. She almost felt like shooting herself as she thought again about the situation she was about to get herself into.

`The boy's bathroom.' She thought scandalously, glaring at the little man that donned the blue sign on the door. `The boy's bathroom as in girls aren't allowed.' She'd been so close to just making him hold it. But lucky for him it was lunch time, and they were on the opposite end of the school from the cafeteria.

"Kagome..." Inuyasha fidgeted, looking uncomfortable.

The raven haired girl took a deep breath, preparing herself to cross the line.

"Okay. Let's get this over with fast."

She reached out and pushed the door open a couple of inches. Then, leaning in, she listened to make sure no one else was already there. Hearing no one, she quickly walked through the door and into the nearest stall, closing and locking the door behind them.

Once again they found themselves stuck in a very awkward position.

Kagome felt the heat rising in her face.

"Alright. Go ahead."

Inuyasha stared blankly at her.

"Am I supposed to know how to use one of these?" He asked, gesturing to the white porcelain object behind him.

Kagome wanted to cry. Of course he hadn't seen a toilet before!

"Okay. Um... Well... You're going to sit on it, like you would a chair. And then you um... do you're... business. Just uh... make sure you aim with... you know...and then the paper..."

Kagome's face was becoming more red with every word she spoke.

"Alright, alright. I get it." Inuyasha said, deciding to give her a break. He shifted to remove his pants before Kagome gasped.

"Wait! In case anyone comes in, they can't see two pairs of feet." She placed the hand not held by Inuyasha on his head, and carefully edged up and around until she was situated on the back of the toilet. Then she let go of his hand and placed it to in his silver mop. She then closed her eyes, and propped one shoulder to her ear and muffled the other with one hand. "Alright." She could feel Inuyasha fidget around for a few moments.

"Kagome."

"Huh?"

"I... uh... can't get them off."

Kagome, once again, wanted to crawl into a hole and die.

"Oh... Okay... Hold on..."

Refusing to open her eyes, she reached around and patted her way down his body, seeking out the waist of his jeans. Suddenly, Inuyasha grabbed her hand in his and planted it firmly over the zipper.

Kagome thought her head was going to explode from blushing so hard. He certainly was blunt. Working the button loose, she ran the zipper down and quickly withdrew her hand. She felt Inuyasha shift around some more before becoming still. In a moment, she could here his muffled voice.

"Kagome-"

"The handle." She stated simply, not moving an inch.

"Huh?" Inuyasha blinked, gazing around him. He managed to find a lever on one side of the contraption, and pushed it; almost jumping out of his skin when there was a loud rush of water.

Only then did Kagome open her eyes.

"Just one more thing and then we can get out of here."

"Oh, come on! What no-"

The bathroom door opened, and Kagome clapped a hand over Inuyasha's mouth. He growled softly against her hand but she leaned in and whispered for him to keep quiet. She listened tensely as feet shuffled across the tiled floor. There was a rush of water, more shuffling, the door opened again, and it was silent.

`Ewww... He didn't wash his hands...' Kagome thought to herself.

"Okay Inuyasha, let's go, really fast." She jumped down from the toilet and unlatched the door. Dashing to the sink. She put her left hand on his shoulder while turning some knobs with her right.

Water began to spout from what looked like a shiny, silver snake.

"Okay. Put your hands under the water, and then hold them under the soap dispenser."

Inuyasha blinked in confusion, following her directions as best he could.

"The what?"

Kagome sighed.

"The black box thing on the wall."

"Oh."

He did so, and Kagome pushed a button, filling his cupped hands with a small amount of pink, frilly smelling goop.

"Now scrub your hands until their foamy, and then rinse them under the water again." She instructed, in the process of pulling paper out of yet another strange contraption.

After washing and drying his hands, he lifted them to his nose and sniffed, recoiling with a disgusted expression.

"What the hell!? Now I smell like a girl!"

"To bad, Inuyasha. There was no way I was letting you out of this bathroom before you washed your hands." Then she placed his hand on her shoulder, and washed her own hands for good measure. Finishing quickly, she grabbed his wrist and tugged him to the door. Opening it slightly and peering out, she closed it again and turned to Inuyasha. "Quick now. Let's-"

The door suddenly being flung open cut her off. She jumped back against the wall with a start, pulling Inuyasha in front of her as a shield and cowering behind him.

Hojo entered the bathroom humming some strange little tune to himself. He stopped to admire himself in the mirror on his way to the stalls. Seeing Inuyasha's reflection in the mirror seemed to startle him as he jumped and quickly turned around, bracing himself against the counter.

"Oh, man! Hey, Midori! You scared the living daylights out of me!"

Inuyasha blinked. But feeling his side pinched, he flinched.

"Ow! Uh... sorry."

Hojo regained the smile he had been practicing in the mirror and stood up, walking closer.

"So where's Kagome?"

"Uh... outside..." Inuyasha suggested stiffly.

"Really? I didn't see her..." Hojo stopped halfway across the room, pausing to ponder the situation.

Inuyasha heard an almost inaudible voice from behind him.

"Um... girls bathroom." He repeated quickly.

"Oh!" Hojo snapped his fingers. "That must be it! Well, I've got to go! If you know what I mean. Heh heh heh." He turned, walking into a stall, chuckling at his own stupid joke.

Kagome inched to the doorway again, and glancing out into the hall, threw open the door. Dashing outside, she braced herself against the wall, her breathing heavy.

"Well, that was..." Inuyasha began.

"Permanently scarring." Kagome finished, regaining her composure enough to grab his wrist again and gesture down the hall. "Come on, let's get some lunch."

---------------------------------------------------

A couple hours later, they had managed to make it through the rest of Kagome's classes, and reach her house without any more incidents, and without running into her friends.

Kagome practically skipped down the stairs after changing out of her uniform.

"Safe at last!" She exclaimed.

Inuyasha pulled off the baseball cap and tossed it on a nearby table. He reached up, massaging his ears.

"My ears are all sore now." He complained. :"Can I take this stuff off?"

Kagome smiled, getting an idea.

"Not yet, Inuyasha." She picked up the hat and placed it back on his head. "You survived a day of modern school, so I might as well show you a modern day out, as a reward."

Inuyasha regarded her suspiciously.

"And just what is entailed in this `modern day out?'"

"Oh, just some sight seeing, a little walking, some shopping, some fun..."

"I can get all that stuff with that T.V. whatchamacallit thing you showed me, minus the walking." Inuyasha crossed his arms, smirking in triumph.

"Ah yes, you could. But... you can't get good food. And you know what that means." She grinned mischievously.

Inuyasha perked, his ears up and alert.

"Ramen!?" He questioned hopefully.

"Ra~men." Kagome sang. "And it's even better than normal. Not that instant stuff. Homemade from scratch, fresh from the pot. Hot and steaming."

Inuyasha was practically drooling.

"Well let's get a move on!" He eagerly pushed her out the door.

"Okay, okay! Hold on!" She leaned back in the doorway. "Mom! Me and Inuyasha are going out!"

"Alright dear! Be careful! And don't stay out to late!"

Kagome would have replied but Inuyasha was already dragging her down the stairs to the street.

----------------------------------------

"What's so great about a bunch of pink flowers?" Inuyasha complained. "When are we getting some food?"

Kagome rolled her eyes, turning to face him. She tugged playfully on his wrist before turning to gaze at the rows of trees again.

"Come on, Inuyasha! Their Sakura blossoms! Aren't they pretty?"

"I know what they are! What's so special about a bunch of girly flowers?"

"Okay, okay. So there's nothing special about them. I just think they're beautiful."

Kagome turned slightly, a soft breeze ruffling her pale blue skirt, tossing her long, ebony hair lightly about her shoulders.

Blossoms rained down around them both, and Inuyasha found himself reaching out to brush them from her hair, accidentally letting his fingertips linger. Strange feelings welled up inside of him. `Beautiful...' his mind repeated.

"Well... I guess they're not so bad..."

Kagome felt herself blush under his actions. He was looking at her like he had that time he had almost kissed her. She shook herself lightly, brushing off the feeling.

"Okay. I just have one more thing to show you, then we can eat."

----------------------------------------------

Kagome walked briskly through the streets, explaining on the way about the `Ferris Wheel' she was going to show him.

"Oh no!" Kagome exclaimed, seeing the fence around the dark ride. She hurried over to an older man, who was leaning back against the fence reading a newspaper. "Hey, Tsuzuki!"

The old man looked up and smiled when he saw her.

"Well hello, Kagome! What brings you here?"

"I wanted to take my friend on the Ferris Wheel."

The old man scratched his beard idly.

"I'm sorry, Kagome, but it's closed for repair. It should be up in time for the festival though."

"Well, could we just sit in one of the cars for a minute?"

"Well, I suppose..."

"Great! Thanks, Tsuzuki!" Kagome rushed past the barrier and into the nearest car, pulling Inuyasha in after her. She closed the little gate and moved to the opposite side of the car. "Wow! Look at all the people! They look like ants from way up here!" She said, pointing at the ground.

Inuyasha raised an eyebrow at her before leaning over the side to look at the concrete.

"Kagome, those are ants." He stated, watching the little black insects swarm a discarded piece of fruit.

Kagome gave an exasperated groan.

"It's pretend Inuyasha! Come on! It's so pretty from up here! You can see for forever."

Inuyasha gazed around at the small stands and restaurants.

"Right."

"Hey!" Kagome suddenly turned, touching her foot back to his to free her hands and grabbing two metal bars with both. "Now I can do something I've always wanted to!" She leaned out beyond the car. "Yeah!" She began to swing gently back and forth, rocking the car, and abruptly lost her balance; losing her grip and falling forward slightly. "Whoa!"

"Kagome!"

Inuyasha shot forward, grabbing her and pulling her back into the safety of his arms.

Kagome was startled as she found herself tightly pressed against Inuyasha's chest.

"Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha blinked, partially confused himself.

"I uh... didn't want you to fall... all that way..."

Kagome glanced down at the two foot drop, then turned back to Inuyasha with a smile.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you!" She giggled, taking his hand in her own. "C'mon, let's get some dinner."

Inuyasha followed her silently, still in a state of bewilderment with himself.

By the time he awoke from his stupor, they were in front of a small restaurant. Kagome turned to him with a smile.

"This is my favorite restaurant. They've got the best ramen I've ever tasted."

Inuyasha licked his lips.

"Well let's get to it!"

They were greeted at the door by a polite young man. He plucked two menus from a counter and offered to seat them right away. They were led through rows of tables to a fairly secluded booth in the back of the restaurant; the lights were dim, and candles flickered slightly on the walls. They were seated, and then ordered drinks before the waiter scurried off to the kitchen.

Kagome slid her ankle against his so she could release his hand; immediately her own felt chilled. She propped her chin in her hand and smiled, watching Inuyasha stare at the menu with a questioning expression.

"What the hell is all this stuff?" He wondered aloud.

"Don't worry." She said, smiling and taking the menu from him. "You'll get you're ramen."

Inuyasha was about to nod, but at that moment the waiter appeared from around the corner, carrying two glasses on a tray. He placed the drinks in front of them before pulling a pen and a pad of paper from a pocket, and taking down their orders. Two bowls of ramen for Inuyasha and a plate of Tempura for Kagome.

As the man disappeared again, Kagome bent to take a sip from her drink. Sitting back up, she noticed Inuyasha staring questioningly at his straw. She grinned.

"It's a straw. You drink through it. Just suck the soda up into the straw." (I had to ponder for a while on that one. I seriously had to find something better than `just put it in your mouth and suck." If I said that I'd just be asking for trouble.)

"Soda, huh?" Inuyasha mumbled, bending and taking the straw between his lips. Then he violently sucked in. Perhaps a bit to hard. He choked, sputtering as he managed to swallow what was in his mouth. Whatever the hell that stuff was it made his throat burn. He took the napkin that Kagome offered, wiping his mouth and glaring at her. He could see her fruitless attempt to stifle her laughter.

"Gently, Inuyasha." Kagome instructed.

Inuyasha scowled.

"What is this stuff? It tickles my nose." He complained, scrunching up the mentioned body part as he tried again to successfully take a sip of his drink.

Kagome propped her chin in her hand.

"It's carbonated. Lots of little bubbles." Kagome explained, watching him. The candlelight turned his eyes into a molten gold color.

Inuyasha felt her staring at him and looked up; meeting her eyes. For a moment he thought she was just daydreaming, but when he realized she was actually focusing on him, he looked hastily away.

Kagomes good mood deflated slightly, and she sighed.

"You've been doing that an awful lot lately."

Kagome straightened, looking across the table at the half demon.

"What?"

Inuyasha closed his eyes, taking a deep breath; puffing his chest out in the process. Then he exhaled loudly in an exaggerated sigh; his shoulders slumping as he opened his eyes and cocked an eyebrow at her.

Kagome smiled slightly.

"I'm sorry, Inuyasha. I'm just a bit depressed."

"Is it because of me?" Inuyasha asked quietly, an edge of hurt in his voice.

Kagome was startled by the show of insecurity in the normally overconfident hanyou.

"Oh no! Inuyasha! That's not it at all!" Kagome exclaimed, desperate to convince him. Sobering slightly, she lowered her eyes to the table, her fingers beginning to trace a knot in the old wooden tabletop. "I've just been thinking about a lot of things lately. I just tired myself out, I guess."

Inuyashas right hand, of its own accord, reached out and closed over her smaller one. He couldn't stop himself, thought his mind was screaming at him. `Why am I doing this!? Why am I acting so weird!?'

"You know, despite how I might act, you can talk to me."

Kagomes smile widened.

"Thank you, Inuyasha. And I know. I do want to tell you, but I just can't. It's like I don't know how."

Inuyasha suddenly snorted.

"You sure as hell haven't had a problem telling me what you think in the past!"

Kagome made a sound of indignation.

"What do you mean?"

Inuyasha took his hand back, putting his hands on his hips.

"You're such a jerk!" He imitated. "Inuyasha, you're so stupid! I'm going home you jerk!"

"Well what about you!?" Kagome fumed, sitting up and leaning over the table. "You call me ugly! Tell me I smell! You stupid jerk!"

"See!? See!? There you go again!" Inuyasha jabbed an accusing finger at her.

Kagome was at a loss for words. He was right!

"I...! Ah...! I uh... darn you!" Kagome slumped back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest, frowning as Inuyasha smirked at her from across the table.

And although either one of them could have been mad for having insults of the past brought to attention, in moments both of their faces had broken into wide, genuine smiles.

----------------------------------------------

Kagome woke the next morning refreshed and content. She yawned loudly, stretching lazily on her bed. The fingers laced with her own caught her attention and she looked down at Inuyasha.

The silver haired hanyou was asleep against the side of her bed. His head was craned backwards, resting back on her mattress.

Kagome smiled. Leaning over him, she reached out with her free hand and brushed her fingers through the silver fringe that veiled his face. A tendril of her own hair escaped her braid and fell to tickle his nose.

Inuyashas nose twitched. Then he sniffed. Then he was thrown forward in a tremendous sneeze.

`What a wake up call.' Kagome thought, tucking the troublesome strand back behind her ear. `Hope he didn't get whiplash.'

"Damn." Inuyasha mumbled, rubbing his nose on his sleeve.

"Good morning."

Inuyasha glanced back at her.

"Oh. G'morning."

"Ready to get back to the feudal era?" She questioned.

Inuyasha perked up at the thought of going home.

Soon enough they were jumping back down the well. Not with as much difficulty as before, they climbed from the well back in the feudal era. As if they were waiting to greet them, they found Shippou, Sango, Miroku, Kirara, and Kaede sitting beside the well.

"Wow, guys." Kagome started, catching the little kitsune in a one armed hug as he flung himself at her. "You weren't waiting for us were you?"

Kaede stood up slowly and moved toward them.

"Aye." She spoke, a foreboding tone to her voice. "Midori returned while ye were away. He was searching for Kagome. When he could not find her, he left, saying he would be back again. But I fear he has not truly left. I can still sense his evil presence."

Inuyasha growled.

"That bastard." He cracked his knuckles. "I'll just have to kick his ass all over again!"

Kagome, although greatly concerned, took a moment to sigh.

`He's back to his old self.'

"What happened to the beads?" Kaede questioned, looking curiously at the two that had once been linked.

Inuyasha then turned his wrath on her.

"That reminds me!" He shouted. "You better un-stick us right now! If Midori is back than I have to kill the bastard! And I can't do it with Kagome still attached!"

Kagome nodded in agreement.

"He's right, Kaede. Would you please release us?"

Kaede looked disheartened, but nodded slightly.

"Aye." She relented; mumbling the counter-spell under her breath. "There."

Inuyasha tugged his wrist free.

"Yes!" He flexed his fingers. Then, turning to the retreating form of Kaede, stomped after her. "Hey! Old hag! Now that I'm free I'd like to have a word with you and you're damn theories! Hey!? Do you hear m-"

A terrified shriek cut him off.

"No." He muttered, his heart pounding as he whirled to face Kagome.

Midori had his arms wrapped firmly around Kagome's waist. He turned her and pressed two fingers to her forehead, causing her to cry out before collapsing against him.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha yelled, moving toward them.

Midori quickly took her hand in his, her body slumping back in his hold. He leaned in, his eyes roaming her face.

"No!" Inuyasha shouted, running desperately toward the demon.

The reptilian man leaned down, but he could not move fast enough to claim Kagomes lips before Inuyasha would be upon them. Heaving her lifeless form over his shoulder, he turned and grinned at Inuyasha.

"She is mine."

And he was gone.

Inuyasha froze, looking frantically around for any sign of Kagome. There was no telling what he'd do to her. He had to find her... He couldn't lose her...

"No! KAGOME!"

Wow! I think that was the longest chapter so far! I hope you liked it! Review! And the next chapter will be up soon!