InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ An Instinct for Conflict ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You guys are so great! I'm glad you liked the last chapter! Thank you all so much for your reviews and support thus far! Now I must warn you all that this story gets a bit dark and evil for a bit, but it'll all be okay! And from now on.... if I don't update. PLEASE! and I'm serious, feel free to harass me! Email me! Get my butt moving! Anyway on to the story!

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.

Chapter 8: An Instinct for Conflict

Kagome groaned quietly, trying to open her eyes. Her whole body felt so heavy, she couldn't move. She barely managed to lift one eyelid to see the blurred image of someone leaning over her. Then the person was gone; soft footsteps crossed the room and a door was slid open.

"She has awoken, my lord." A quiet, submissive tone.

As soon as the woman had finished her sentence, the tremendous weight that had settled on Kagome's chest was lifted; she gasped as oxygen swept back into her lungs. Opening both eyes to the dimly lit room, the first thing she noticed was that it must have been late in the evening. The second thing, the thing she wished she had never noticed, was the short, clipped sound of claws on the wooden floor.

Midori stepped steadily closer, a menacing smile forming on his lips.

"You are finally awake, my dear. How do you feel?"

Kagome managed to ignore her aching muscles and pushed herself to her feet. Summoning her courage she looked him in the face.

"What do you want with me?"

Midori's smile faded slightly.

"Now, now, my prize. That is no way to treat your new master. Besides, you already know that I intend to use your powers to seek out the jewel. But what you do not know is that I find you very beautiful, and that I may put you to... other... uses."

Kagome retreated from his advances until her back hit the wall. Her face flushed angrily as he stopped inches from her, reaching out and bracing one hand against the wall; the other touched her cheek and she jerked back, her head colliding with the wall.

"I'm not you're slave." She spat angrily. A dull ache was left to remind her of her mistake, but it was nothing compared to the burning sensation that was left on her face.

Midori stood back, regarding her with contempt.

"I'll excuse your tone for now. But you had better learn to hold your tongue in the future." His tone was cold and unforgiving now as he backed up, turning to a pair of women crouched in the corner. "Take her to my quarters. I trust you know what to do with her." Then he turned and disappeared out a second door.

Only once the door had closed and they were sure their lord was gone did the two women rise and approach her. Their expressionless eyes never wavered as they roughly took her by the arms and forced her into the hallway.

"Hey!" Kagome cried, irritated. "No need to be so rough!"

No apology was given as they made a sharp turn, continuing past an open door, through which Kagome could see endless well groomed gardens. Turning again, they moved down a dark, cold hallway.

Kagome looked at her escorts: eyes distant, faces stern, grips firm and unrelenting.

"Um... May I ask where you are taking me?"

Not once did either woman look at her, they gazed straight ahead, apparently not intent on answering her.

Kagome was about to ask again when her senses were overwhelmed by a horrible stench. Kagome coughed; her stomach lurched and she could feel the bile rising in her throat. The odor became stronger the farther they traveled down the corridor. Although her eyes were watering badly, through another open door, Kagome saw something that made her stop dead in her tracks. Dozens of young women, some even younger than her, were huddled in groups, barely clothed. Their hair although long, was matted and tangled. Their faces were bruised and swollen. Some were smudged with dirt, and even blood. Their eyes, like those of the women at her sides, were dull and empty. Some weakly rose their heads to stare back at her, making Kagome feel like she was a child, gaping at some horrific zoo exhibit. They were all visibly shaking from the frigid wind that blew in through an open door: probably opened to hopefully rid the room of the smell of human waste and filth.

The two girls at her sides forced her onward.

As Kagome staggered down the hall, she thought, if nothing else, that they appeared to be well fed.

They finally came to a stop outside two large, ornate doors. The girl on her right knocked sharply, and the door was soon opened. Inside the chamber was a luxurious bedroom. Rich cloth of every color adorned the walls, floors, and bed. Paintings and sculptures donned every wall and table. Several servants were on their knees, scrubbing the floor; two more were smoothing the covers on the bed.

"Leave." Barked the woman on her left.

The servants jumped to their feet; gathering buckets and clothes and scurrying out the door. When the room was empty, the girls lead her to the back wall, where one spot was devoid of the colorful finery that filled the rest of the room. They took Kagome by the shoulders now, and forcefully pushed her against the bare wall.

To shocked at first to do anything, she only began to struggle when they had closed the shackles around her wrists. But by then she could not offer much resistance, and they had no trouble restraining her ankles as well. Her arms and legs were sealed into the shackles by some unseen force: as far as she could tell there were no locks on the bands confining her. Her arms were stretched up and away from her shoulders; her legs were braced wide to accommodate the unforgiving iron chains.

"Why are you doing this!?" Kagome demanded, her eyes pleading with her captors.

Finally the two women turned to acknowledge her. They did not speak, but as Kagome met their gaze, she could see only one emotion burning clear in both pairs of dull brown eyes.

Jealousy. Pure and unwavering jealousy.

------------------------------------------

Inuyasha paced back and forth impatiently.

"C'mon! We have to find Kagome now! There's no telling what that bastard will do to her!"

Miroku tapped the end of his rod into the ground absently before replying.

"We are all worried about Kagome, Inuyasha. But before we can do anything we need to formulate a plan of attack."

"Forget your stupid plan!" Inuyasha raged.

"Inuyasha, we know how you fe-"

"Like hell you know how I feel!" Inuyasha shouted. He turned and started running in the direction Midori had gone, calling over his shoulder. "I'm going after Kagome! You'll just have to catch up!" Not waiting for a reply, he jumped into the air. He scoured the forest beneath him, searching urgently for any sign of the missing girl or the demon. On the wind rushing past him, he caught Kagome's scent. He dropped quickly to the ground, pausing to inhale deeply. Her sweet scent filling his lungs was like a wave of relief washing over him. But wait...

"I can smell her?" He questioned aloud. If Midori was simply disappearing she wouldn't have left a scent trail. He turned in the direction where the scent was strongest. Caught on the thorns of a large bush was a shred of deep green cloth. "Kagome's skirt." Clutching the cloth in an angry fist he set off again; his pace faster than before.

`Just hang on Kagome. Please' He begged silently. `I'm on my way.'

----------------------------------------

Kagome shuddered. She was terrified of what might happen to her.

"Inuyasha... where are you?"

Her arms and legs trembled; they burned from the effort of holding her in such an awkward position. Her head bowed low as she fought back the tears that threatened to fall. She would not cry. Not if it meant showing weakness to that bastard. She was not weak. The silence was becoming unbearable. Not even the normal sounds of the night were heard. No movement from the hall. Nothing.

Just when she thought she was going to go insane the door creaked open.

Lifting her head toward the new arrival she felt relieved to have some company. But when she was rewarded with the image of Midori walking towards her, she wished he would just turn around and leave.

No such luck.

Midori stopped before her, reaching out to stroke her cheek.

"Well now, Kagome. How do you like your new accommodations?" His lips curled in an ominous smirk as she tried unsuccessfully to escape his reach. His fingers trailed along her jaw. "Of course you know if you would not behave so badly you would not need to be locked up. If you were a good little girl I could take these nasty shackles off."

Kagome snorted.

"The only thing nasty here is you." She quipped angrily.

Midori laughed out loud, coming closer.

"You certainly have no lack of spirit, my child." He lowered his hand from her face to cup her right breast.

Kagome jerked violently.

"Don't touch me you bastard!" She hissed.

"Come now. You cannot tell me you are not enjoying this." He began to firmly grope at her chest.

Kagome was reeling. Emotions and thoughts were tossed around in her mind. Unable to form coherent thoughts, she did the first thing that came to her.

She spat in his face.

Midori froze, backing away slightly to lift a scaly hand to his face. Wiping away the projectile with his sleeve his eyes bored down upon her. The corner of his mouth quirked in a small smile, but his expression was anything but amused.

Kagome cried out as he slapped her violently across the face; her neck snapping painfully in protest of the sudden movement. She could feel her face already beginning to swell, her cheek stung.

Midori shook out his hand, regarding her with a look of disgust.

"If you want to live long enough for that pitiful friend of yours to attempt a rescue, I suggest you never do that again." He turned sharply, his robes snapping as he marched across the room to a rope. He gave the rope a tug before turning back towards his prey. Abruptly he untied his sash and let his robes drop to the floor, leaving him completely nude. He stepped out of them and kicked them into a corner. As he made his way closer again, his eyes filled with lust.

"I'm going to enjoy punishing you."

Kagome immediately knew what he was intent on, and her blood ran cold. She pulled with renewed energy at her bonds; the iron cuffs tearing into her ankles and wrists. Tears sprang to her eyes.

"Don't come near me!" She shook from fear and sorrow. She was helpless as he was upon her; tearing her shirt from her shoulders.

His lips sought her own but she turned her head away, refusing to let him kiss her. His hands found there way to a convenient tear in her skirt and removed that garment as well, leaving her in only her underwear. He stood back to let his eyes roam her silken skin. Then he let his hands take the paths his eyes had mapped.

The sensation of his cold skin against her own sent her into a fit of harsh sobs. She heard the door open and cracked her uninjured eye open to see a girl being forced through the doorway. The girl collapsed on the floor in a shaking heap, crying hysterically.

Midori turned away from Kagome to approach the small girl; who looked no older than fourteen.

"Wonderful. The entertainment is here."

The girl, hearing her master's voice, scrambled to her feet and straightened her dirty kimono. She stood with her head bowed and managed to mask her tears.

Midori walked closer and cupped the girls cheek, raising her face.

"Ah, Toriko. I am happy to see you again."

The still visibly shaking child forced a small smile and met his gaze.

"I am honored and blessed to be chosen, my lord."

Midori smirked. He had programmed each and every one of his slaves with impeccable manners. His face became soft and sympathetic.

"Yes, my dear. I am very sorry to hear that your son was taken away. But he will be very well taken care of."

Kagome gaped. Son!?

The young child dropped her head to the side, tears welling in her eyes.

"It is a small sacrifice to make, my lord."

Midori reached up to tuck a small strand of hair behind the girls ear.

"Yes. I promise it will not be long tonight. As you can see, I have company waiting." He moved to the side and gestured to Kagome.

The girls gaze flickered over Kagome before returning to her master's face.

"Very good, master. She suits you well."

And with that, Midori dropped his polite facade and threw the girl on the bed. Tearing at her clothing, he climbed over her small body and forced himself upon her.

Kagome shut her eyes tightly; aghast at the horrific scene. But the girls pained cries and the demons satisfied grunts she could not stifle. Tears were falling down her face on behalf of the writhing form beneath the demons hands.

In less than two minutes the room had again become quiet. Only the whimpers of the girl and the panting breath of Midori was heard. As she sensed movement, Kagome opened her eyes.

Midori had drawn a heavy robe around himself and slipped out the door into a garden.

Kagome quickly looked to the young girl.

The child sat up gingerly and gathered her tattered clothing. Pushing herself from the bed she shuddered as her bare feet met the cool wooden floor. She wrapped her arms around herself and limped slowly across the room towards the door.

"Wait!" Kagome called. "Are you alright?"

The girl seemed startled as she turned to look at the girl tied to the wall. She had once been in that position for four days straight. She hesitated a moment before nodding slightly, and continuing out the door.

Kagome was again left in silence. As soon as she was sure no one else would come back into the room, she let her tears fall freely. Sobbing openly her head sagged against her chest. She felt so violated. Her body was weary and sore and bruised. She was shivering from cold. She cried until she was completely empty of feelings. After what must have been hours, the door slid open again, and the dim light of dawn seeped in from behind Midori.

The reptilian man moved slowly towards her and grinned, his fangs glinting.

"You truly are quite beautiful, my prize."

Kagome shook violently. To her that felt like an insult.

Upon reaching her, his hands massaged every inch of her skin. He leaned in close and let his tongue trail down her neck.

Closing her eyes she continued to struggle. She wouldn't give up without a fight.

"He'll kill you." She whispered vehemently.

The demon paused.

"Well then I shall have to enjoy this last opportunity."

She screamed as his claws raked painfully across her back and sides.

"Silence, wench!" He commanded. Lashing out he struck her on the side, then the shoulder. Then he slipped his arms around her waist and pressed her close to him, bending to kiss her collarbone. He heard her tears intensify. "Don't worry, my child. I won't kill you on purpose."

Kagome almost wanted to laugh at that. She could feel his arousal. She fought against her holds as his hands came to rest on her hips. She felt so nauseous. Feeling his fingers hook under the elastic of her underwear, she twisted against him, pleading silently for anything to stop him. Suddenly she felt as if she was falling unconscious. Her world was fading. Her mind was collapsing, trying to guard her against the trauma she was about to experience. Her body sagged as if asleep.

Midori smiled against her neck.

"I'm glad you have finally decided to cooperate." He reached out again to remove the last garments keeping him from claiming her as his own. Suddenly he sensed another presence and stopped, growling and backing away. "Damn." Turning, he walked to the door and paused. "This will only take a minute." He called over his shoulder, disappearing out into the yard.

------------------------------------------

Inuyasha felt his anger rising. Kagome's scent was really strong now. He launched into the air and searched the ground again. In a large clearing a short ways up the mountain, was a large house. Inuyasha could sense Midori somewhere below, but more importantly, he knew Kagome was there as well. He landed gently in the middle of a large flowerbed. Turning his attention to the building, he drew Tetsusaiga.

"Midori! Come out you bastard!"

Cold, sinister laughter was heard as the demon appeared around a corner.

"So, you decided to show up after all. I must say though. Kagome was not nearly as willing as you."

Inuyasha growled, his body shaking with anger. His grip on the hilt of his sword tightened.

"I swear if you did anything to her I'll-"

"You'll what?" Midori interrupted. "We both know how successful your last attempt to kill me was." He smirked seeing his comment hitting its mark. "You know, she's only here because of you. You failed to protect her."

Inuyasha let out a furious shout.

"Shut the hell up! She may be here because of me. But I'll take her back!" He lowered into an offensive stance. "And I'll do it right now."

Midori laughed again, making a beckoning gesture.

"Come at me, half-demon."

Inuyasha charged forward, sword poised, and jumped into the air. He brought the blade straight down, shattering the earth as he drove it into the ground. He pulled the sword over his shoulder and turned toward the mocking laughter.

"Well done, well done." Midori clapped. "To bad you missed." The demon glanced at the spot where the stone pathway had been reduced to rubble. "But I dare say that might have killed me."

Inuyasha let out a loud cry as he rushed him again. He brought the sword in a wide arch in front of him. He wasn't surprised when Midori disappeared. Sensing his energy reappearing behind him, he pivoted on the ball of his foot and continued the motion, surprising Midori enough to force him to dodge rather than teleport. Inuyasha grinned.

"What's wrong? To fast? Maybe I should slow it down a bit." He shouldered his sword with a short laugh.

Midori gave a grunt of annoyance before phasing out again. He materialized right in front of the hanyou, firing a burst of energy that hit the hanyou full in the face.

Inuyasha was sent hurtling back into the forest from such force. Colliding with a tree with a angry shout, he quickly regained his footing and raced back into the clearing. As soon as he emerged Midori was attacking again with incredible speed.

The half demon's frustration was growing the longer he was kept on the defensive. His assailants movements were quick and powerful. Finally, Inuyasha discovered a pattern. Taking advantage of Midori's own momentum, he took the brunt of a weaker attack, firmly grasped the demons fist, twisted, and pitched him over his shoulder.

The demon struck a large stone statue, slumping lifelessly to the ground on impact.

Inuyasha sniffed haughtily as he surveyed the damage. Stepping closer he poked curiously at the seemingly unconscious demon. Sensing no movement, he smirked, placing the tip of his sword at the hollow of Midori's throat.

"Sorry to disappoint you, but even I'm not that stupid."

One snake-like eye opened, the slit of a pupil narrowing even further.

"I must admit, you are not as dumb as you look."

Inuyasha growled, bracing himself to drive the blade into the form on the ground.

"I'll take that as a compliment."

But before he got the chance to move, Midori vanished. The sword was knocked sideways as if pushed, and suddenly there was a tiny droplet of blood on the tip. Inuyasha turned to regard Midori, who was now standing a few yards behind him, a still bleeding cut on his shoulder. Inuyasha smirked. Now he had an idea.

`He couldn't have gotten that if he was simply disappearing.'

Inuyasha shot forward, raising his sword to run it through his opponents midsection. Just as he'd expected, the demon disappeared. But if he concentrated hard enough, he could sense his evil presence moving in a wide circle to stop behind him. Inuyasha froze, listening carefully as Midori crept nearer. Inuyasha tossed his sword from hand to hand before reversing it, pointing it at his own chest.

"What are you doing, half-demon? Are you really prepared to end your life now that you have come this far? I would much rather have the privilege of doing that myself!"

With that the demon charged toward Inuyasha's unguarded back.

One silver ear twitched. The half demon smirked at Midori's cocky attitude. With an enraged cry, he drove the his sword backwards between his arm and side. He grinned in satisfaction feeling the blade meeting resistance that could only be muscle and bone.

"You may be fast, but you can't avoid what you can't see coming."

Midori made a pained grunt, stumbling backwards and pulling himself away from the rapier that impaled him. Placing a hand over the gaping wound in his chest, he growled.

"Bastard. You will pay dearly for that."

Inuyasha grinned, standing up and facing his opponent.

"Let's see it then."

Midori growled and sprinted towards the hanyou; fangs barred. Once again he vanished.

Inuyasha smirked again. Closing his eyes tightly, he clenched his fist. He could hear footsteps. They gave him a wide berth and approached from behind. Inuyasha quickly switched the blades position again, turning to face the demon head on.

"It's over!"

He drove the hilt of his sword into Midori's face. Then, jumping back a few paces, he lifted the sword over his head, watching the struggling form of his enemy.

"You used spells to overwhelm your opponents senses. You weren't fast or powerful. You're nothing but a coward!" He glanced at his hand, blood seeping from deep cuts left behind by his claws.

Midori was appalled.

"You managed to defeat me by focusing all your senses on pain? Incredible. I must admit you were indeed a powerful adversary." He said it in such a way that made Inuyasha think he was going to stand up, but then he doubled over, coughing up blood. The demon wiped his mouth on his sleeve and gave a last, defiant smirk. "Be sure to tell the girl that I enjoyed her very much."

Inuyasha was seething as he gathered his strength for the final blow.

"That's it! I'll make sure there's nothing left of you! Tetsusaiga!"

He hurled the blade at the ground, slicing through the wind-scar and sending a wall of energy to crush his rival. Without so much as a shout, the atmosphere once again became quiet, nothing left to show for their latest encounter but a gaping crater. Inuyasha finally let his muscles relax, dropping forward to lean heavily on his sword, panting.

"Inuyasha!" Miroku burst from the trees, followed closely by Sango and Kirara. "Inuyasha, are you alright? Where is Kagome?"

Inuyasha immediately straightened.

"You two go see if there's anyone else around here who needs help. I'll look for Kagome."

The two humans nodded, setting off in different directions; Sango followed by Kirara`s smaller form. Inuyasha turned and, not waiting to find a door, blew a hole in the nearest wall.

-----------------------------------------------

The shackles were suddenly released; Kagome dropped to he floor, settling weakly on her knees and absently rubbing her sore wrists. Her mind still seemed to be hiding, not realizing that her captor was dead.

"Kagome?"

A familiar voice called out to her, becoming louder as it progressed further down the hall towards the door.

"Kagome? Are you in here?" The door slid open, and in stepped Sango. "Kagome? Kagome!" She stepped towards her friend, but paused, seeing her vacant expression and dull eyes. "Oh no..."

"Sango!"

The girl jumped at the harsh tone of Inuyasha's voice.

"Where is she?" He demanded, grabbing her arm.

Sango pointed to the hunched form of their comrade.

"There's definitely something wrong with her."

Inuyasha's heart dropped to his feet at those words.

"Alright." He said grimly. "Go and help Miroku. He found a whole room full of women and girls. They look like they were used as slaves. They need help."

The demon exterminator nodded silently and ran off, leaving Inuyasha staring at Kagome.

"Kagome?" He stepped cautiously into the room and approached her. "Kagome... It's me, Inuyasha."

The girl didn't move, only held herself tighter.

"Kagome, are you alright?" He reached out, pausing as she began to tremble violently. She looked up at him and he gasped. Her eyes were empty and lifeless, her face was bruised, her right cheek slightly swollen. She didn't appear to recognize him. "Kagome..." He touched her shoulder gently.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" She shrieked. Slapping his hand away.

She scrambled backwards, and only then did Inuyasha realize she was almost completely naked. Her skin was scratched and in some places black and blue, but there was no serious amounts of blood. Inuyasha grasped her shoulders and looked into her tear streaked face.

"Kagome! It's me! Inuyasha! Remember? The stupid jerk?"

Kagome shook herself free and backed into the wall, where she bowed her head, her shoulders wracked with violent sobs.

"Kagome..." Inuyasha murmured. Had he lost her? Had she been so traumatized that she was afraid of him as well? He felt tears spring to his own eyes, not even bothering to try and stop them. Only managing to contain them, he moved closer to her, watching her fall apart with no way for him to reach her. "Kagome..."

She suddenly turned her eyes to his, their life returning as she was greeted with unhindered concern and sorrow. It was Inuyasha. He had saved her again. Her savior...

"Inu..yasha..." her voice was barely audible.

Inuyasha felt his chest ache painfully. It was as if someone had reached inside his chest and was wrenching his heart.

"Kagome..."

Inuyasha dropped to his knees, and she instantly flung herself into his waiting arms. Clutching at his clothes, she bawled into his chest. Inuyasha held her tightly, fighting back his own tears.

"Kagome... I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner."

Kagome shook her head against his shirt, a gesture that said `it's not your fault.' Pulling back to try and cover herself, she found herself quickly cloaked by his thick, red robe. Gazing up at his face, she gave a weak smile.

"It's so good to see you again... You stupid jerk. I was getting worried." She gave a tearful laugh.

Inuyasha was busy tucking his robe tightly around her, but paused to look up, searching her face. He reached out and gently cupped her cheek, his thumb barely caressing the beaten skin of her face. He brushed the tears from her eyes, his fingertips spreading warmth wherever they touched.

"So was I."

Kagome freed her hand from her covers and clasped her hand over his, leaning into the soft, comforting touch.

Inuyasha felt his throat constrict with emotion as he looked upon her. She was so strong. So forgiving. So beautiful.

`Kagome... My Kagome...'

He pulled her roughly back into his embrace for a short while, stroking her hair as she nuzzled her face into the crook of his neck. Feeling her breathing slow, he knew she had fallen asleep. That was fine with him. He gently scooped her up into his arms, cradling her form against him. He enjoyed the feeling of her weight in his arms, where she was safe. Turning to glance once more around the heavily adorned room, he shuddered. Then he stepped out into the hallway, careful not to wake his fragile cargo.

There you go! The stupid lizard man is dead! Sorry about the long wait. I hope you enjoyed all.... 14 pages of this chapter!!! Whoa! Be sure to review! And tune in next time for Chapter 9: Reaching Your Level.... which will probably be disappointingly short compared to this chapter. Well, we'll see!