InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ Get a Good Grip ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, well, I don't have much to say other than you guys are great! I can't emphasize that enough! So just enjoy the next chapter! No lemon yet though, I believe it's going in the next chapter.

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. *sigh*

Onward to the story!

Chapter 10: Get a Good Grip

Kagome drummed her fingers on the cool surface of her desk. Her chin propped in one hand, she sighed again. She just couldn't concentrate. She hated leaving Inuyasha without saying good-bye, but he'd been so tired last night, she hadn't wanted to wake him. She was lucky she'd remembered that stupid test at all. She sighed again. But that kiss...

"Miss Higurashi..."

He was so gentle...

"Miss Higurashi..."

What had all that been about?

"Miss Higurashi!"

Kagome jumped, jerking upright in her seat.

The teacher frowned at her from his desk in the front of the room. He tapped the end of his pencil against the desktop in an irritated fashion.

"Miss Higurashi, I am well aware that all of those cat scans took a lot out of you. But, could you at least act like you're trying to pay attention?"

Kagome blushed furiously, but nodded sheepishly.

"Yes sir."

"Very good. Now, where was I? Ah yes, the theory of Godzilla's existence has been severely debated..."

Kagome forced herself to keep upright, but her attention was already slipping. She shifted on the hard chair. Hard... not soft. Soft like Inuyasha's lips...

`Gah! What's with me?'

She clapped her hands over her quickly reddening face. It was all his fault! Lowering her hands, she decided that what was going on outside might help her get her mind off Inuyasha. Gazing discreetly out of the corner of her eye through the window, she took in the activity, or rather lack thereof.

`Let's see... tree, tree, bush, flowers... Are those daffodils? Hmm... More trees, another bush, more flowers, Inuyasha, trees... wait a second... Inuyasha!?'

Kagome stood abruptly, her chair scraping loudly against the linoleum.

"Miss Higurashi!" The teacher fumed.

"I'm sorry sir! But it's..." She gestured wildly out the window. "Its my cousin! There must be something wrong! May I please...?"

The middle-aged man massaged his forehead, muttering something about `being to old for this,' and then waved his hand dismissively.

"Fine, fine. You're excused."

Kagome bowed slightly.

"Thank you, sir."

Amidst the curious murmurs of her classmates, she darted from the room. Completely forgetting her books, she tore down the hallway, skidding around a corner, nearly colliding with a janitor, who was startled by her sudden appearance, but warned her not to run in the halls before she disappeared down another corridor. She scrambled down the stairs, nearly losing her footing halfway, and hit the landing at a run. Finally reaching the exit, she slid to stop, leaning against the doorframe to catch her breath and make sure she wasn't seeing things.

Inuyasha stood in the shade of a tall tree. The light breeze played through his hair, casting it about his shoulders. She noticed he still wore his clothes from the feudal era. He turned, noticing her in the doorway, unmistakable golden eyes seeking out her own.

Oh yeah. It was him all right.

Kagome summoned up all her courage and began to walk towards him. He turned towards her as she neared. Stopping several feet from him, she tilted her head to the side with a questioning expression.

"Umm... Inuyasha? What are you doing here?"

Inuyasha `huffed,' crossing his arms. His eyebrow twitched in annoyance. He came all the way here because he was worried and that's how she treats him? Well I never... Inuyasha took a deep, calming breath, able to keep his anger down to a manageable level before speaking. He let his arms fall back to his sides.

"I was kind of worried. You left without saying anything, and you don't normally do that unless something's really wrong."

Kagome nodded, but her expression was expectant as if she was looking for more.

"I'm sorry, I had a test that I forgot about. You were so tired last night I didn't want to wake you."

Inuyasha nodded, looking at the ground; rubbing the back of his neck. He felt embarrassed as he looked back at her face. Damn, that expectant expression was still there. He sighed.

"And uh... well I... That is... About that kiss...Um, that stuff you gave me made me all funny, and I couldn't really... you know... tell what I was..."

Kagome carefully studied the cracked concrete beneath her shoes. She scuffed her foot against a loose chunk of mortar.

"It's alright... really, Inuyasha." She was content to leave it at that, but suddenly, she felt daring, and another thought popped into her head, as if an author in her mind had added another line to her script (hehehe). She boldly met his gaze. "Besides, I actually... kind of enjoyed it." She took a hesitant step forward.

Inuyasha blinked.

`Did she just say what I think she just said!?'

"You...you did!?"

He took a step towards her.

Kagome nodded, smiling slightly. Another step...

"Yeah, I did."

Inuyasha swallowed, taking another step. She was close. Close enough to...

"Really..."

Another step.

"Uh-huh."

"Well... in that case..."

Inuyasha leaned down toward her, and she stood up taller to receive him.

"KAGOME!"

They jumped apart; Inuyasha retreating into the shadows, Kagome turning to face whoever had called her.

Her friends were hanging headfirst out of a third story window.

"Kagome!"

"What are you doing down there?"

"Who's that you're with?"

"You dummy! That's her cousin! Remember?"

"Oh yeah! Hojo told us about him!"

"What's his name again?"

"Umm... I think it started with an `M'."

"Oh yeah! Midori!"

"Yeah that's it!"

"So he's her cousin?"

"He doesn't look like her cousin..."

"Is he really your cousin, Kagome?"

"How come you've never told us about him?"

"Hey! Look at his head!"

"Whoa! He's got ears!"

"Of course he's got ears you dummy!"

"No! Dog ears!"

"What? Whoa!"

"He really does have dog ears!"

"And his clothes!"

"What is he wearing?"

"Funny lookin' robes!"

"Do you think it's a costume?"

"It must be a costume."

"Maybe he's from the festival committee or something."

"Yeah, they've got all sorts of people running around in costumes."

"Well, he is kind of cute..."

"Cute? Are you kidding? He is hot!"

"Hot with a capital `H'!"

"Those eyes! Wow!"

"And that unusual hair! So cool!"

"I wish he was my boyfriend..."

The girls shared a collective sigh, off in their own dream worlds, until they realized that their newest fantasy was leaving with Kagome.

"Hey! Wait!"

"Kagome!"

"Where are you going?"

"KAGOME!"

-----------------------------------------------

The pair walked down the street toward the town. They had to kill time before going back home. Her mother would kill her if she knew that she was skipping out on what little school she was home for. They were headed to the park.

Kagome sighed, her friends could be so... nosy... sometimes.

"Sorry about that, Inuyasha. My friends... There a little... I don't know."

Inuyasha shrugged.

"It's alright."

Silence fell upon them again as they stopped at a corner to cross the street. They stood waiting for the light to change, both fidgeting uncomfortably.

Inuyasha searched for something to break the awkward peace, finding his salvation in a brightly colored sign. He leaned closer to it, squinting as he tried to figure out what it advertised.

"What's this?"

Kagome turned, examining the poster before an idea wormed its way into her mind. She smiled, clasping her hands together in excitement.

"It's an advertisement for the festival! There's a fireworks display tonight! Why don't you hang around and come with me?"

Inuyasha blinked.

"Do I have a choice?"

Kagome just grinned, grabbing his hand and dragging him down another sidewalk.

----------------------------------------------------

Just as it was beginning to get dark, Kagome, Inuyasha, Souta and Kagome's mother had assembled at the front door.

"But Kagome! I want to go see the fireworks too!"

"No, Souta! You can't come! It's just me and Inuyasha!"

"But sis-"

"No!"

"But Ka-"

Souta was cut off as his mother leaned down to whisper something in his ear. A look of understanding crossed his youthful features and he grinned.

"Oh!" He looked up at his mother and nodded knowingly. Then he turned and waved at the other two. "Never mind! Have fun!" Turning, he walked into the living room, laughing to himself.

Kagome's mother tried to stifle a giggle behind her hand. She followed her son into the other room.

"Have fun you two! And don't stay out to late."

"Um... yeah."

Kagome glared suspiciously at her mothers back. She didn't like the way they were acting. Then she turned, the excited smile back on her face.

"Oh well! Let's go!"

She took the confused Inuyasha by the wrist and dragged him out the door.

"First stop: The Ferris wheel!"

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Hi Tsuzuki!"

The older man turned and smiled, waving at the pair from his post outside the entrance gate.

"Well hello, Kagome!" He chuckled as the duo halted beside him. "I'm glad you stopped by! As you can see, the Wheel's up and running! Workin' better than ever I'd say!" He opened the gate for the couple as people began to pile up behind them in line.

Kagome smiled in return, nodding.

"It's looking great, Tsuzuki!"

The older man nodded back, eyeing Inuyasha's ears for a moment before responding.

"And I see you brought you're friend back as well! Nice to see you again, son. That's quite a fancy costume you've got there. Very nice."

Inuyasha nodded slightly, looking down at his clothes.

"Uh... thanks."

Tsuzuki waved them off as he turned to the next group of people.

"Enjoy the ride!"

Kagome called back over her shoulder.

"Thanks again, Tsuzuki! And don't forget to stop it at the top!"

They climbed the stairs to the boarding platform. Two young men steadied the car as they climbed inside. Kagome sat down quickly on the bench, tugging Inuyasha down next to her. She was so happy she was shaking.

"Isn't it great, Inuyasha?" She gushed, clutching at his arm.

Inuyasha seemed to be catching whatever disease the girl had, because he gave a small smile before nodding.

"It is."

Kagome gave a little squeal of delight as the car began to move.

Inuyasha's stomach felt funny at first. But as he looked over the side, watching the people on the ground grow smaller and smaller, he realized that it was no different from jumping into the air. Except for the fact they were going in circles, he noted as they completed their first cycle.

Kagome had placed her head on his shoulder, and was gazing dreamily into the stars. As they reached the top a second time, the car stopped, swaying slightly. She stood up and walked to the side of the cage. She looked up at the sky, feeling more content then she had ever felt before.

The lights of the Ferris wheel suddenly began to flicker, before going out altogether.

Kagome, startled, looked down to see Tsuzuki standing at the control panel.

`What does he think he's-'

Her breath caught as Inuyasha was suddenly behind her; so close that his shoulder was pressed against her back. His breath was warm against her cheek; his arms moved around her to grasp the rail.

"It's really nice up here, Kagome." His voice was soft and he placed one of his hands on her shoulder.

Kagome placed one hand over his and looked back into the heavens.

"It really is."

They sat in silence for about a minute more until the lights slowly came on again. The ride jerked back into motion and Inuyasha had to catch them both from falling over sideways.

As they reached the bottom, Kagome took his hand in hers and led him away from the Ferris wheel through the fair grounds. As they walked, she pointed out various games and activities. They stopped to try throwing balls at a stack of milk bottles. Inuyasha's aim had been terrible, but Kagome had knocked them over on the first try, earning her a small stuffed cat, which she presented to Inuyasha with a smile. Next, they decided to try their luck at darts. Inuyasha didn't feel at all comfortable watching Kagome clutch a handful of sharp, pointy objects. That game didn't go so well, and they moved on, coming upon a game that was just perfect for Inuyasha. It was a machine that had a big round pad that you had to punch. The harder you punched, the higher your score, and the bigger your prize.

Inuyasha approached the machine... just... well... oozing confidence. The young men around him jeered at his lean frame, and his funny clothes. Up until that point he'd been able to ignore them. But when some started to surround Kagome, flexing their muscles and flaunting their other `manly' qualities, he began to lose his temper. He growled, rolling up his right sleeve. He braced himself, regarding the target as Midori's face, and let loose. His fist forced the target back into the machine itself, tearing clear through the protective casing.

Inuyasha had never heard such complete silence before.

A short, plump man in a suit scrambled up to the pair, and as he began to bawl over the sorry state of his equipment, told them to take a prize and get out.

Inuyasha turned and walked over to put a possessive arm around Kagome. A death-glare sent the remaining muscle heads scattering. Plucking a giant plush dog off of a shelf, he glanced down at the cat tucked safely in his elbow. He placed the dog that had ears disturbingly similar to his own, in Kagome's arms. With a squeal and something that could only be described as a `glomp,' Inuyasha deduced that she did indeed like it.

Bearing their new treasures, and ice cream at Kagome's suggestion, the proceeded to the meadow where the fireworks display was going to take place. They found a good seat on the crest of a hill and settled down.

Kagome set her new dog in her lap, stroking the soft white fur on its ears absently as she finished her ice cream.

Inuyasha, having downed his ice cream, watched her play with the sad imitation. His own ears twitched in jealousy.

`My ears are much softer.'

Inuyasha shook his head.

`I'm envious of a stuffed animal.'

Interrupting his train of thought, a loud explosion ripped through the air. He jumped to his feet, ready to defend himself, but was calmed as Kagome clutched his pant leg.

"Inuyasha! It's just the fireworks!" She gestured to the sky, where green embers were slowly fading as they rained down.

Inuyasha dropped down beside her again, mumbling something under his breath before turning his attention to the sky.

Kagome leaned on Inuyasha's shoulder as colors erupted in the air. Kagome loved the lights, and how the sound would resonate in her chest. No words were needed as they watched the show progress through the different displays.

As the show wore on, Inuyasha realized that this was the first real peace that they had ever had. He began to think of everything he and the girl beside him had been through. As images of the past flashed in his mind, he looked down at the girl beside him; emotion welling up inside of him. He finally felt that he had to tell her. To confess his true feelings. To make up for all the abuse he had caused.

"Kagome?"

"Mhmm?"

"Well, lately I've been confused, about... well... you and I. I know I normally act like a jerk, and like I don't really care. But... that's not true at all. I care more than you'll ever know. I can't deny it anymore... Kagome... I-"

He turned to gaze into her eyes as he pored his heart out to her, only to find her fast asleep. He sighed. So much for that. He lifted her form into his arms, careful not to wake her, and began the short journey to her home.

Touching down on the roof, he carefully carried her through her window and laid her down on her bed. Gently pulling the covers around Kagome, he paused to brush a hand through her ebony hair. Taking one last look, he jumped back out the window, careful to pull the curtains open so he could watch over her from his post on a nearby tree branch. Settling down amongst the branches, he sighed.

"I'll tell her tomorrow."

There you go! Chapter 10! First of all, I had to put the Godzilla in there cause I thought it was funny. I don't watch Godzilla. So don't be offended if you like it. Sorry! And the stuffed cat and dog? Got them from the episode where Shippou draws that cartoon. I thought that was too cute! Poor Inuyasha, so close, so close... And guess what? Lemon next chapter! Oh yeah! I hope it'll come out okay! Wish me luck! And don't forget to R&R! Tune in next time for Chapter 11: Beautiful Because You Love Me...