InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Close Quarters ❯ Keep Your Friends Close ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, there's no excuse for my being this late, so I'm not even going to bother. To all my reviewers, you guys are the best! I can't thank you guys enough for all the support and comments, and for being so patient. This is the last chapter, and I hope those of you who are still here enjoy it! It's dedicated to those of you who took the time and consideration to chastise my lazy butt! Thanks again!

(And to Black Rose Lady: You know, I've always wondered about that... because I myself horse back ride and I had heard that somewhere before. Now I know! And I changed it! Thanks!)

Chapter 12: Keep Your Friends Close

Inuyasha was roused from his sleep a little before dawn, finding himself in a mass of tangled arms and legs. Carefully peeling one arm from around Kagome, he lazily shifted onto his side, pulling her closer.

Kagome stirred slightly beside him, eyelashes fluttering slightly before she settled again. She inhaled deeply and sighed, smiling contentedly in her sleep.

Inuyasha smiled as he watched her. `She's really adorable when she sleeps.' His smile eased into a smirk. Since when had he been using words like adorable? And when had Kagome started affecting him in such a way? He frowned slightly, propping his chin in his hand. When had he gone from generally ill in spirit to all warm and cuddly? `I never figured one girl could screw so much with my mind.` But what was most confusing was the fact that even though this strange evolution had seemed to tackle him from behind, he didn't mind. If it would make Kagome happy, it was fine by him. And there was no doubt that he would be more than happy to oblige. He smiled again, reaching out and tracing a finger down the girls neck.

Kagome shifted slightly, whimpering.

Inuyasha grinned, likening his touch to that of a feather, and teasing the apparently ticklish area beneath her ear.

Kagome shivered visibly, curling in on herself. When the incessant touch continued, she shrugged at her neck. As that had no effect, she swatted gently, her brow knitted into a scowl.

Inuyasha chuckled, not stopping his torture.

Giving an exasperated noise, Kagome draped an arm across her face. Her eyes slowly opened, blinking sleepily beneath her wrist. Upon seeing the half-demon peering down at her, she groaned loudly and rolled over, hiding her face against the bed sheets.

Inuyasha arched an eyebrow at her. "Kagome..." A muffled `uhn?' was his only reply. Inuyasha reached over and poked her in the back. "What's the matter? You tired?"

A slow, weak nod.

"I guess I wore you out last night, huh?" He grinned wolfishly. (no pun intended)

She turned her head just enough to frown at him, and he could tell she was blushing. Then with a sigh, she shifted onto her side, her back facing him.

Inuyasha curbed his laughter, and began lazily drawing circles on her back; enjoying the shiver she gave when his fingers ghosted down the back of her neck. "You know you have to go to school, right?"

Kagome let out another groan, sounding wounded. "I'm too tired."

"You can't miss school, Kagome." Inuyasha stated, knowing full well that he would love nothing more than to keep her here all to himself. But, he also knew just how important school was to Kagome. Well, usually, anyway. "Although I suppose you could stay here. I know plenty of ways we could... entertain... ourselves." He smirked, letting his fingers trail across the delicate arch of her spine.

Kagome stiffened for a moment before pulling the sheets tighter around herself. "I think I'll go to school after all."

"Are you sure?" Inuyasha had to fight to keep from chuckling. It was funny how uncomfortable he could still make her even after what had happened. "I'm so disappointed."

Kagome surprised him by rolling over to face him and hiding against his chest. "Stop it."

"What's the matter?" Inuyasha joked, letting his hand run through her hair.

Kagome pressed herself closer. "You're embarrassing me."

Inuyasha laughed. "Why the hell should you be embarrassed?" He reached down and tipped her face to his, kissing her softly. He figured he might as well get the mushy stuff out of his system. "It's just me."

Kagome smiled slightly, nodding. "This is just all so new." She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her hair and leaned back on her elbow.

"Well, don't get used to it. I'm warning you right now that this... softer... side of me is not going to making appearances all that often." He raised an eyebrow at her when she giggled. "What's so funny?"

She grinned. "It's just that I'm almost happy you won't be all... huggy... for lack of a better word. It would be somewhat awkward, don`t you think?" She laughed harder. "And even then, I don't think the rest of the group could handle it." She calmed herself slightly. "Could you imagine their faces?" Wiping a few tears from the corner of her eyes, she smiled softly. "Besides, you're different. You've got you're own special ways of being affectionate."

Inuyasha looked at her with a curious expression, as if this was news to him. "I do? Like what?"

Kagome paused, thinking. "Well... the way you worry about me, and act all protective. You act as if it just comes naturally. And the way you look at me when you think I can't see you. And then there`s they way you look at me when you want me to see you. You know, with that cute half-frown on your face, with your one eyebrow quirked up? You look angry, but you`re really being affectionate."

The half-demon smirked. "Am I?"

Kagome smiled confidently. "Yup. You can't fool me anymore."

Inuyasha leaned his chin on his hand and studied her, seeming fascinated. "What else?"

Kagome blushed under the sudden intensity of his gaze. She shrugged. "I don't know, it's just... you."

"Well, now that that's clear," He leaned forward and pressed his forehead to hers, "I have no problem being me, so long as you stay you."

Kagome's smile reached her eyes this time. "Don't worry."

Inuyasha closed his eyes as he smiled in return. He let his hand move from her face to her side; tracing the invisible contour of her ribcage, his fingers catching the sheets and dragging them in tow.

Kagome's cheeks flared again as her body tensed. Eyes wide with indignation, she began to shake as Inuyasha's questing hand exposed a growing span of her body. "Inuyasha! What do you think you-" Her protests were silenced as his palm came to rest on the mark he had given her.

Inuyasha's fingers played gently across the curve of her hip, massaging away the dull ache that still throbbed from the broken skin. His eyes gazed intently at the flaw, absorbed in it. The only visible fault on her body he himself had willingly inflicted. Seeming to shake himself back to the present, he lifted his hand to cradle her chin again. "Alright, maybe one more tender moment." And with that he captured her mouth, nursing a deep kiss from her lips.

Kagome's surprised cry was swallowed as their lips fit. She wound her arms around his neck, every sense acute as she was lost in the familiar shape and taste of his kiss. How he had such a warm and comforting flavor, and how his upper lip was firm against hers, while the lower one would yield to the slightest touch of her own. She could feel his strength even is his lips. She committed everything to memory, feeling rushed to memorize the lilting impression as he pulled back.

Inuyasha smirked at her serene expression, sitting up. "Now get the hell out of my bed!"

---------------------------------------

Kagome sighed in relief as she finished dressing. There was nothing like a shower and a fresh set of clothes to make you feel renewed. Tossing her hair back over her shoulder she quickly moved through the silence of her house, catching a bag from her bedside table. It was early enough that even her mother hadn't risen from bed yet.

Inuyasha glanced idly up at her as she entered the living room. He sat slumped on the couch, clicking rapidly through the channels while gazing at the TV. with an uninterested expression. "What's that?" He asked, eyes focused back on the screen.

Kagome grinned playfully. "This is what I wouldn't show you the other day!" She brandished a small plastic bag, shaking it teasingly.

He sat up, leaning forward and supporting his elbow on his knees. "Oh, really?" He tossed the remote onto the coffee table and directed his attention to her. "Are you ready to show me now?"

She nodded, smiling even wider. "Yup! But you've got to wait in here while I put it on!" And with that she scooted back out the doorway, giggling to herself.

The half-demon paused to dwell on her last sentence. Put it on? His mind was bombarded by images of slinky, not-so-innocent articles of clothing. The onslaught of imperfect thoughts was probably comparable to what filled Miroku's brain on a daily basis. He snickered to himself.

"Okay! Close your eyes!" Kagome spoke from around the corner.

Inuyasha obeyed the gentle command easily, letting his eyes fall shut while his ears picked up every little sound she made as she came to stand beside him. She was even more consumed by her laughter now.

"Alright, you can look now!"

He slowly opened his eyes, blinking quickly before looking up at her. At first glance it appeared nothing about her had changed. His eyes widened slightly, but he didn't know what to say. She had arranged her hair to hide her ears, and a pair of black, furry ones now sat atop her head. He blinked again, quirking an eyebrow at her.

She shrieked with laughter at his expression, reaching up to tug on her fake ears. "So what do you think? Now I look like a half demon too!" She grinned happily.

Inuyasha stared. It wasn't a bad look for her. He snorted. Then he let out a short chuckle. Then he choked as he strained to contain his amusement. And then he was laughing; collapsed backwards on the couch, holding his sides with tears stinging his eyes, it wasn't just a laugh, it was an all out guffaw.

Kagome seated herself beside him, watching his reaction curiously. She hadn't thought it was that funny.

The hanyou coughed, gasping for air as he straightened, sobering slightly. He grinned at her expression as he reached over to give the dog-ears an experimental poke. "You know, Kagome," He ran his fingers through her hair before carefully tucking it behind her natural ear. "As... interesting... as you look with ears like mine," He paused, running one finger around the shell of her ear. "I like the ones you were born with better." That said, he quickly leaned forward and pinched her earlobe between his teeth, teasing a surprised gasp from Kagome.

Kagome was startled to say the least, and a little embarrassed. She could only hope he hadn't seen her shiver as he pulled away with that smug look on his face. She stood up, crossing her arms. "Well, anyway, I'm going to school." She walked into the hallway, smoothing the skirt of her school uniform. "You'll just have to wait here for me." As an afterthought, she ducked back in the doorway. "Behave yourself."

Inuyasha rolled his eyes, nodding just to acknowledge her. "Right, right." He waved her off.

Kagome smiled. "Okay, see you later."

Inuyasha leaned back into the couch, plucking the remote from the table when he heard the front door close. Clicking the TV. back on, he raised an eyebrow at some guy preaching about how to `get the body you've always wanted' with some painful looking contraption he called a `Bowflex.' The half-demon groaned, covering his eyes with his free hand. He was bored already.

---------------------------------------

Kagome sighed yet again, almost entertained as her breath stirred the papers on her desk. She was sprawled across her seat, her head propped on her arms, which she had folded in front of her. It almost appeared she was avoiding the teachers gaze, a behavior that entirely conflicted with her normal self. It was beginning to earn her strange looks from her classmates. Drumming her fingers on the desktop she glanced for what must have been the fifth time at the clock. "Five more minute." She groaned. She just wasn't into school today. But she supposed she could survive a little more of her professor droning on about some war.

When the final bell rang, Kagome was out the door and down the hall before most of her peers were even out of their seats. She didn't even bother to stop for her books, because she wasn't expecting to be here tomorrow. She smiled at the sense of freedom that hit her as she hurried for the front doors. She was just about to take a deep breath of clean air, fresh and clear compared to the stuffy classroom, when what she saw outside stopped her short.

There stood Inuyasha, loafing under a tree, playing absently with the prayer beads around his neck. He looked up when he heard the door open and grinned as Kagome jogged towards him. When they met, he felt a strange feeling surge through and overwhelm him. His body somehow overrode his brain. and he picked Kagome up, swinging around until they were both laughing.

Kagome sighed as he steadied her on her own two feet again. Looking up at him, she brushed her hair out of her face and smiled. "I thought we were past all the mushy stuff?"

He shrugged, not moving his arms from around her waist. "Give it `til the end of the day." His grin widened.

Kagome's fingers played around his chest as she blushed slightly. "Good," she replied, looking him squarely in the eyes, "Then you won't mind if I do this." As soon as the words left her mouth, she seized his beads in both hands. With a quick yank, she pulled him closer, and pressed her lips firmly to his.

Inuyasha tensed, gasping. If it weren't for her death-grip on the band around his neck, he would have pulled back in surprise. But all he could do was stand there, frozen in shock, as Kagome kissed him until she they were both out of breath. It was only when she pulled back that he could manage to stammer a `What the hell was that?'

Kagome shrugged, smiling innocently up at him. "I don't really know myself, actually."

The hanyou blinked in a baffled fashion. "Alright then." Then he scooped her up in his arms, cradling her against his chest as he took off for the well.

Kagome laughed openly as she clung to him, holding him tightly around the shoulders. "You know, we really can't make a habit out of this." She felt a pleasant rush as they left the ground, Inuyasha leaping into the air as they crossed the city. "But, for today, I suppose it's alright."

---------------------------------------

Back at the school, Kagome's friends were only now regaining their composure. They had been approaching from the school when they had been paralyzed with shock at the forceful embrace they had witnessed.

The first one to get her jaw off the floor turned to her two companions. "What was that?"

"Who was that?"

"It sure as heck wasn't Kagome!"

"She would never betray Hojo like that!"

"How could she?"

"And she didn't even tell us!"

"I know!"

"How could she betray us like that?"

The two girls who had been fretting turned to the third, much more silent girl. "Well?"

Their friend smirked, crossing her arms over her chest. She nodded at them once. "I knew that wasn't her cousin."

---------------------------------------

The rest of the group, back in the feudal era, were only now beginning to realize that they hadn't seen there companions in a long while.

"I wonder where Kagome and Inuyasha went off to," Sango wondered aloud. She placed Kirara in her lap, stroking her faithful pet.

Miroku leaned heavily on his staff, looking bored as he sighed loudly. "It's much too quiet around here without them." He moved to sit next to the demon exterminator. "Although, now that Kaede has taken Shippou to gather herbs, we can finally have some... alone time." He leaned closer to her and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Sango glared at him from the corner of her eye, inching away from him. "Stay away from me, you lecherous monk. I won't be swayed by your charms like all those other women."

Miroku straightened, a grin spreading across his face. "So you think I'm charming?" He put on his best attempt at a debonair smile.

The young woman rolled her eyes, deciding not to justify that with a response. She set her attention back to Kirara, who was nosing her hand for more affection. She could hear Miroku behind her, fiddling with something. It made her uneasy. She could never tell what was going on in his head.

"Sango..."

The change in tone of Miroku's voice forced her to turn around, just as he reached around her, enveloping her in a hug. He took her hands in his and held them firmly, linking their fingers together. Sango gasped. "M-Miroku!" She felt him press his cheek into her hair, sighing contentedly.

The monk held her tight. Over the course of their embrace of about, oh... he estimated about two minutes, he felt her slowly relax into his arms. Finally, he gave her right hand one last squeeze, and pulled away. "There, that should do it!" He smiled victoriously.

Sango gave him a strange look. "What... should do it..." She wasn't sure she really wanted to know.

Miroku's smile grew into a smirk as he raised his hand and waved it at her.

Sango's eyes widened as she stared. When Miroku had lifted his hand, hers had moved as well. She gave her hand a firm tug, but it remained where it was, linked tightly to Miroku's. She whimpered. "What have you done?" Taking a closer look, she noted that their hands seemed fused by some strange substance. She grimaced. "Disgusting! What is that stuff?"

Miroku turned her hand over and examined his handiwork. "Kagome called it `Superglue.' Some type of adhesive from her era." He rippled his fingers, the only part of his hand not stuck to Sango's. He'd layered the glue on his palm, and it seemed to have set well during his little diversion.

"Well, whatever it is, it better come off!" Sango fumed, pulling on Miroku's wrist.

"Kagome said that this stuff permanently bonds surfaces together. Including skin. That was one of the warnings; not to stick yourself to something."

She gawked at him in disbelief. Was he serious? "And so you decide to stick us together..."

Miroku nodded casually. "Yup, it worked for Inuyasha and Kagome, didn't it?" He leaned down, his face right beside hers, smirking.

Sango began to tremble. She couldn't be stuck to this pervert for the rest of her life! She just couldn't! How would she live? There had to be a way to reverse it! There just had to be!

Miroku lifted his free hand to her face, running a finger down her cheek. "Better get used to it, Sango. These two surfaces are bound forever." He reached around her violently shaking form and clasped her close to his body.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

That's it! The end! Yay! Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for all your support and encouragement! If you liked this story, you should keep an eye out for my future Inuyasha stories. I'm planning a SangoxMiroku and a SessxRin. See you around!