InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter III
 
Kagome awoke to a bitter cold wind blowing against her face, slowly her eyes fluttered open, everything was burly at first Kagome couldn't remember what happened but with her vision her memory slowly returned, tears filled Kagome's eyes,
 
“Mother how could you?” she asked silently to herself, with her vision returned Kagome looked around her village, everything was deathly quite, the homes were dark with no signs of life anywhere, her mind was still foggy from the Midnight Rose she had been tricked into eating, by the one person who was suppose to love her unconditionally, the one she could trust without worry. The feeling slowly returned to her limbs she looked up curious why her wrists hurt, to her surprise they were shackled together with the chain between them hooked on the top of the large wooden pole securely holding Kagome captive, she smiled slyly.
 
“They think this can hold me.” Thought Kagome arrogantly, she tried to transform into a cat but a sudden surge of pain in her chest forced her stop, Kagome blinked confused, she gazed over to a small window next to her, threw its reflection, her eyes went wide with horror in the direct centre on the opening of her Ao-Dai was a tattoo of a dragon in chains over top was a symbol representing a person. Kagome knew what this tattoo was, it was the Mark of Sealing from her people, when an Oracle used her powers for evil that causes death; the Mark of Sealing is tattooed along her chest preventing her from using her power. But the Mark of Sealing tattooed on her was different from the others she's seen, on everyone she's seen the ankles were chained on the Dragon, on hers' the neck was chained, Kagome tried tirelessly to change shape to no avail she still remained hopelessly bound to the pole. She looked up into the full moon almost pleading with it to free her, but that was impossible it was the moon, she closed her eyes as hot streams of tears trickling down her cheeks, Kagome could sense an evil presence approaching her, she hung her head low squeezing her eyes shut hoping that this nightmare, was just that a nightmare and she would wake up in her room with her mother making breakfast. Her heart skipped as she heard the footsteps of the evil presence approach her, a cold leather glove lifted her chin.
 
“I never imagined the Shape-Shifter would be so beautiful.” Kagome opened her eyes, to the deep handsome voice; the face that greeted her was not the one she imagined, Kagome imagined a fat, greasy, bolding man, but the man before her was quite handsome, a man in his late twenties, with long midnight hair kept in a ponytail at the base of his head, with liquid blue eyes. He wore a black leather tunic with dark brown leather pants and tall black boots, with a black katana sheathed on his back.
 
“I have searched all over Mika for you Shape-shifter, my lovely Kagome.” Kagome gasped, he knew her name but that wasn't possible the world believed the Oracles were extinct, “It was quite heartening when I saw the crimson sky, I heard the Oracles were extinct but with the burning sky they must be alive somewhere, so I left Mika to gain an army and power. I was finely ready twenty-three years later so I came back looking for you. But I was rather disappointed at the defenses here my campaign only lasted a year and now with you in my possession my conquering of Mika is complete.” There was no mistaking who this man was; he was Kane the man Lady Kendra warned her about.
 
“The People of Mika won't stand for this, they will fight you.” Exclaimed Kagome with a passion that burned like fire, but the passion wasn't the believing in the people around her, but in herself, she needed to believe that people would fight him to keep her hope alive.
 
“That's what I'm counting on,” Kagome gasped at Kane's statement, and the cold bloodthirsty tone of his voice,
 
“That's where you come in, every time some silly resistance movement comes along you will tell me their movements so I can crush them.”
 
“And what if I refuse,” Kane looked at Kagome with an evil glint in his, without hesitation he grabbed her throat with his single hands squeezing it lightly,
 
“I can be a very merciful man Kagome, and my fury is merciless, you will do as I tell you or you'll suffer the consequences. You belong to me now, never forget that.” Kane released Kagome's throat the cold air never felt so wonderful filling her depraved lungs.
 
“The place is empty sir, everyone gone.” Said a Drakmen saluting Kane, Kane smiled a cold and heartless smile,
 
“Its seems they've offered Kagome here as a gift, hoping for me to not pursue them, no matter, let them go, they are of no importance I got what I came for. Get her down, put her in the cart.” Ordered Kane, two of the Drakmen unhooked Kagome's chain, the Drakmen were as horrid looking as there name made them sound, human like creatures, with large ugly yellow slit eyes, a pointed nose, and razor sharp teeth, their bodies were covered in small green scales with tiny claws for finger nails, one of the disgusting Drakmen used his lizard tongue to lick Kagome's cheek as he threw her into the covered caged wagon. Kagome lay in complete darkness the wagon smelled of human decay and urine, Kagome felt her way to the edge of the wagon looking for any sign of fresh air, though what she found was barely existent but it was still refreshing from the revolting smell of the wagon. Possibly exhaustion over her encounter with Kane or the shock of learning her people gave her as a gift to a madman so they could escape from his attack, Kagome slowly fell into a nightmarish slumber.
 
The next thing Kagome knew she was being yanked from the wagon, the outside was dark the moonless night made the glimmering stars shine even brighter. Kagome looked with amazement and wonder at the castle, the massive stonewalls seemed to stretch to the stars, and large torches were bolted to the walls giving light. Many of the shops were burnt to the ground; the large wall surround the castle was cracked and crumbling in some parts, the bodies of dead soldiers were being collected and feasted upon by the Drakmen and dragons. Most of stone castle was scorched with massive black burns marks and some parts still burning; Kagome could sense the overwhelming fear and pain of the lost souls who died there. She noticed small stones fall from the tower she stood in front of, reluctantly Kagome looked up and a massive blood red dragon sitting upon the tower looking down at her, it was as frightening as people clamed them to be, piercing green eyes looked right threw Kagome it smiled, flashing its sharp teeth, the Dragon was smaller then the other dragons around the castle, its bulky body was slimmer then the other fatter dragons, its legs were longer and slimmer with four inch talents on its claws, its head was lender like a snake with two long white horns growing out the back of its head; snorting a blast of hot fowl smelling air, panicking Kagome tried to pull away from the Drakmen but they held her fast, their claw like hands digging into her skin. The Dragon lifting its head up into the air opening its massive scaly wings it roared, followed by every other dragon near by, signaling their victory. With a swift pull the two Drakmen guards pulled Kagome into the tower under the sharp watchful eyes of the dragon.
 
The guards pulled their unwilling prisoner up the spiral staircase; they threw Kagome to the floor of a small circular room, she tried to pick herself up only to by scent back down by the powerful slap of Kane's hand, he walked over to were Kagome lay yanking her up by her hair, holding her head just beneath his shoulder. Kagome looked up at him, her eyes glistening with tears as she looked into Kane's cold dead eyes, Kagome swallowed hard when Kane smiled a sinister smile with a wicked glint in his eyes, he threw the petrified Kagome to the floor with a simple gustier of his head the Drakmen left snickering. Kagome looked up at Kane standing over her; Kagome looked at him with pure fear in her in her eyes. Kane reached down to her and by the mercy of God, Kagome blacked out, and the next thing she could remember was Kane leaving the room with the heavy clank of the metal lock the sealed her captivity.
 
Kagome crawled to small dark corner next to her dresser Kagome held her knees, the room was simple a small bed, dresser with a wash table made up most of the décor of the small room, there was a small bookshelf with a small collection of books, and the only window was a barred window, with dark green stained glass between the bars with tiny holes for air. And it was in the corner that Kagome spent most of her early days in this prison, she altered her dress to close the gap that revealed the Mark of Sealing; Kagome couldn't see the outside the only way she could tell whither it was day or night was the light that shone threw the window.
 
Two Days Later:
 
Kagome hadn't moved from her safe corner, and Kane didn't call upon her, in truth Kagome didn't know what to do, with the mark of sealing on her she couldn't fight him, she would often fantasize of changing into bull and plowing past the door and escaping, but that would never happened not as long as Kane was near by. Kagome looked up half hopeful half petrified as the heavy lock that caged her here was unlocked, but her hopes were destroyed as Kane showed his disgusting face carrying a tray of food, Kagome watched him with careful eyes as he set the tray down before her.
 
“You must be hungry, you haven't had any food for three days if you don't eat soon you'll die, and I can't have my new seer dying on me.” Kane voice and manner was so kind, completely different when they met the last time, but Kagome was not going to be fooled by the kindness act.
 
“Kagome listen to me, I told you I can be very kind or very ruthless, but as long as you do as you're told you'll never witness or experience my cruelty again.” Kane knelt in front of Kagome to close for her comfort, she narrowed her eyes at him, and suddenly Kane grabbed Kagome's throat and pined and her hands to the wall,
 
“This is my world Kagome, I control everything here, and whither you live or die, when or if you'll eat. I don't want our relationship to be difficult Kagome; as long as you give me information on the rebels we'll have no problems.” Kane released Kagome, wheezing Kagome moved away from Kane, he stood up placing his fingertips on the cool window.
 
“I know you'll make the right choice.” Said Kane, tears escaped Kagome's eyes as Kane left her alone once again; she knew she was in no position to fight Kane.
 
`Thanks Lady Kendra, for all you've done for me.' Thought Kagome bitterly; Kagome sat on the floor stone floor, leaning her back against the cold wall of her prison, she looked up to at high pointed ceiling, she imagined twinkling stars above her. The walls that imprisoned her melted away she stood in an open field of grass, a warm breeze blowing around her, each star twinkled as if trying to talk with her, telling her to keep her hope alive, that everything will work out someday.
 
“InuYasha,” Kagome whispered, she closed her eyes and let her mind drift. Kagome drifted out of her body and threw the ceiling, she felt herself drift threw the air; the night air was damp on her skin. Kagome opened her eyes when she felt ground beneath her feet, her eyes fluttered open, Kagome stood in a field of wild flowers the sun shining brightly above her, in the distance a large willow tree grew, and it must have been hundreds of years old. A small stream flowed around the large tree, it had cut away the ground beneath the tree exposing the large roots; with the roots so exposed the tree should have died long ago from the elements or over watering but the tree grew large and strong refusing to give into the relentless stream.
 
“This stream is like Kane and myself, I am strong but I'm constantly bombarded by Kane, trying too force me to break and accept the role he as planed for me. But I have to be like this tree and refuse to give in stand strong and relentless.” Kagome raised a fisted hand and looked up at the tree; determination burning in her eyes.
 
“I will not let my hope die.” Kagome sensed another person arrive in the field, slowly she turned around and behind her stood InuYasha, he was much older, tall, with long silver hair past his waist, two small dog ears on his head, the same golden eyes just as Kagome remembered; he wore the red kimono she made for him when they were kids. Kagome smiled her eyes welled with tears of joy slowly she walked over to him, she stood in front of him, he was taller then her, InuYasha tilted his head to the side.
 
“Kagome,” he whispered, Kagome smiled, the tears she tried to hold back feel freely, and Kagome opened her arms and hugged InuYasha who stood in utter shock, snapping himself out of shock InuYasha rapped his arms around Kagome and buried his face into her hair, inhaling the sweet scent of lavender and pine. Pine the scent of the Forbidden Forest where he and Kagome first met as children, a scent that held so many hopes and dreams of two young children, trapped in a world that shunned them. Kagome pulled out of InuYasha embraces and looked deep into his eyes.
 
“I know this is just a dream, or a vision, but are you alright?” Kagome asked, InuYasha eyes flashed with painful memories of his life under his master Lord Akira, but as InuYasha looked into Kagome loving brown eyes he knew she didn't need to know about that, he smiled.
 
“Yes, Kagome I am alright all thanks to you.” Kagome smiled with relief; suddenly Kagome could feel a pull in her chest, the pull from her body calling her back, she looked at InuYasha sadly.
 
“I have to go now,” slowly Kagome rose into the air her hands slipped on InuYasha's sleeves holding onto InuYasha's arms as she was pulled away, InuYasha grabbed into her hand as it past threw his, he held onto it with all his might, not wanting to let her go and lose her again. But the pull from her body was stronger her hand began to slip threw InuYasha's grasp.
 
“Don't go.” He pleaded, Kagome couldn't stay she would die if she was away from her body for too long, Kagome smiled at him.
 
“I'll find you again InuYasha, I promise.” Kagome cried as she was pulled threw the sky and back to her body.
 
Kagome awoke with a sudden jolt; a single tear trickled down her cheek, but it wasn't a tear of sorrow, it was a tear of joy, Kagome closed her eyes and smiled.
 
“I will be like the willow, my hope won't die.” Whispered Kagome
 
Three Years Later:
 
Kagome made her choice though she couldn't tell if it was the right one, it was the only one she could make; she helped Kane defeat the resistance and with her help the resistance was all but destroyed, every battle or sabotage they planed Kagome warned Kane before hand, any spy she exposed. For the most part Kane kept his word; Kagome never experienced his cruelty unless he didn't like her prediction. Kane had taken everything from her, her freedom, her home, and her family. He was the only human contact she had for three years thinking it would crush the hope she refused to relinquish. Kagome was completely dependant on him for everything; Kane would never allow anyone but himself in her prison and kept the only key to it around his neck on a silver chain constantly tormenting her, with the key to her freedom within reach and she couldn't do anything about it.
 
But what Kane didn't realize is that even with Kagome's body chained her spirit soared. Kane assumed he cut off all human contact from Kagome, and in a way he did no fiscal human set foot near her. But Kagome let her mind drift to the field with a proud willow tree giving her the strength to hold out hope, and with InuYasha always waiting to meet her, it was probably the only thing that kept Kagome from falling into a pit of despair.
 
*~~~*
 
Kane kept two dozen human slaves in his castle to serve him; he would never allow demon slaves in the castle, their heightened sense of smell would pick up Kagome scent, and he couldn't risk that, he even allowed some human in his guard, though they were mainly for the grunt work, making the people pay their taxes, ensuring order in his towns and camps. Kane had made quite a profit from the enslavement of Mika; Kane had set up trading agreements with other countries looking to buy and sell slaves, in three short years half of the once peaceful people of Mika were sold and shipped away to surrounding countries.
 
The Spirit Elves was the only race to escape Kane's grasp, because they held the keys to his slave trading business, it was their Mark of Subjugation that kept the demons oppressed, many of the elves were filled with greed and left their ancestral duty to watch over the Spirit Forest and ventured out from the forest looking to cash in on the slave boom. But there was still a sliver of hope for Mika, one human man; Caleb, he refused to let his desire for freedom be destroyed no matter how many of his plains were foiled and his men killed, it only fuelled his cause more, Caleb was determined to see his people free again. His determination gave the suppressed people of Mika hope that Kane would be defeated. Kagome admired Caleb, her mind's image of him was tall handsome rugged man, with long red hair, fiery like his crave for freedom, with eyes the colour of the sky, and muscles the size of tree trunks, his skin would be beautifully tanned from long days in the sun watching hide outs, planning attacks and long pain staking journeys to learn Kane's weakness so he may untimely bring him down.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome leaned against the windowsill, it was raining outside she could hear the raindrops fall in her window, she leaned against the windowsill whenever it rained in hopes of a stray drop falling threw one of the tiny air holes and falling on her pale skin, she looked like a ghost, she could probably pass herself off as dead if she tried, which she tried once already, though Kane figured out her little plain, buy stabbing her hand with a small knife causing her to cry out in pain.
 
“I was so concerned with freeing InuYasha, I honed my powers, trained with a bow daily, but here I am a slave to a monster, I've been devoured by the very some monster I wanted to free InuYasha from.” Said Kagome to no one; sometimes she'll say meaningless thoughts just to break the enveloping silence.
 
“I wonder what season it is. Spring maybe, it's been raining a lot oh the flowers must be beautiful right now. They are probably just starting to bloom it must be so beautiful.” Kagome sighed deeply daydreaming about the outside, until an odd vision crept into her minds eye.
 
Kagome stood in a large room, a throne room a gold thrown encrusted with precious gems, lined with velvet cushions, and the thrown room walls were adorned with animal pelts, and the severed heads of the poor animal, this was a place of death, to the back of the room behind the thrown, hidden a dark corner was a simple wooden door. Kagome's mind was pulled threw the door, down barely lit circler stares, pulled threw yet another door at the bottom.
 
Kagome found herself in a dark damp place, reeking of human decay and urine just like the wagon that brought her here so long ago; with her limited vision Kagome could make out a dark alley way between cells built into the walls, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light, Kagome realized what was in the cells, people, bruised, beaten, and bleeding people, she stepped back horrified overwhelmed by the crushing emotions felt by the poor souls imprisoned here. Suddenly she heard a bloody scream coming from behind a door at the end of the alleyway, the desire to save the person behind the door dominated Kagome's fear of what she would find, she ran down the hall and threw the door, to enter a dark room, the floor was stained with blood, a young man hung suspended in the air by his shackled hands hanging over a pool of his own blood, his dirty blonde hair was spattered with blood, he was surrounded by several devises of torture covered in wet and dried blood, a Drakmen emerged from the shadows and took the man down under the watchful eye of Kane, who stood his body half hidden by shadow, he smiled triumphantly at the barely conscious boy.
 
“Ah, it's always a good day when it's started with a bloody scream,” Kane smiled, “And to ensure a good it's always best to torture a prisoner before breakfast. But though it doesn't solve my problem of how to make sure Kagome doesn't figure out I'm not in the castle when I leave to oversee the success of a new trade agreement with the west.” Kagome gasped; suddenly she was pulled back out the dungeon up the stares and back into her body.
 
“Kane is leaving!” exclaimed Kagome, shot up out of bed, a sudden burst of happiness exploded inside Kagome she could hold it in anymore, she screamed, but her happiness was cut short was Kane burst threw the door his eyes burning with anger.
 
End Chapter
 
So did Kane figure out Kagome had a vision of him leaving? How will she come out of this one read my next Chapter to find out? Don't forget to review.