InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter IV ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter IV
 
 
Kane backed Kagome into a wall; Kagome had never been more terrified in her entire life, the evil resonating off of Kane was smothering. Kane struck Kagome sending her to the ground out of the corner of her eye Kagome noticed Kane take out the sheath of his sword and started to repeatedly beat her with it; Kagome lay limply on her side once Kane was done with; her back, legs, and arms burned, using his sheath to turn Kagome on her back, Kane stood over her like a giant he held this tip of his sheath to her throat, Kagome stared up at him partly afraid he'll kill her, partly wanting him too so she can be rid of this nightmare.
 
“Even after all this time, you're still defying me. I can't have my slave rebelling all the time, its bad for business, if you start defying me then everyone will.” Said Kane as he strolled around Kagome's room acting so pompous, Kagome strained to get up.
 
“And who knows I'm here.” Spat Kagome, Kane stopped and struck Kagome's back with his sheath, she expected he would do that, anyone who dared remark against Kane, making him look inferior would surely feel his anger.
 
“You know better then to question me Kagome.” Said Kane in a happy joyful tone, she discovered first hand what demeaning Kane would bring, but she didn't care, this was first taste of any kind of freedom Kagome had enjoyed in she didn't know how long.
 
“And sense you want to be so disobedient, your rebellious nature can feed you for the next three days.” Kane turned his back to Kagome but stopped half way and with a single swift movement Kane hit Kagome over the head with his sheath he left her limp unconscious body lay on the cold floor, the smirked to himself now he didn't have to worry Kagome would suspect never he was gone everything was perfectly falling into place.
 
*~~~*
 
Kagome woke several hours later, her head splitting she lay on the floor waiting for the nauseating dizzy feeling to pass; slowly she made her way to her feet, she held her stinging forehead, the dizziness pasted replaced with confusion.
 
“How long have I been out?” Kagome asked herself, she looked over at the window, and the darkening glass told her it was dusk, Kagome smile
 
`Kane has to be gone now, I can finely escape. He is so predictable he didn't even realize I knew he was leaving.' Kagome was nearly bursting with joy, she positioned herself far enough from the door and changed into a large black Ram, Kagome charged at the door, ramming it with her large horns, she bounced back from the door leaving a large dent in it,
 
`One more hit will do it.' She thought, with her second charge Kagome broke threw the door, large splinters of the oak door scattered down the spiral staircase, she wasted no time in charging down the staircase but the door at the bottom was much thinker and larger then her door, there was now way a ram could knock down that door.
 
`Kane is very arrogant; he'd never expect I would ever brake out.' Thought Kagome as she changed back into a human, she slowly walked up too the door, she swallowed her fear, taking hold of the butterflies fluttering in her stomach, slowly she pushed, expecting the door would be locked or a army of guards was waiting out front. But to her surprise the door slowly creaked open. The courtyard out front was empty, small buildings adored the yard, they were worn down, built with Birch Tree, a cheep source of wood that often needed repairs tattered rag curtains hung in little tiny windows. Near the palace was a larger more extravagant building built from chestnut wood, a mush more expensive but needing fewer repairs, Kagome could see the fire from the windows, casting dark shadows over the courtyard, the light from evening sun was hidden by dark clouds making it the perfect time for Kagome to escape.
 
“That must be the guards building.” Said Kagome silently, Kagome gasped as she seen the open gate only a few yards away, she knew she had to move quickly someone had surely heard her braking down the door. Kagome moved over to the gate as quietly as her excitement would let her, the Guard house at the front gate was unguarded and left empty, along with large pouch of, gold, silver, and bronze coins, a small fortune, Kane's guards were getting lax, probably because there were no rebels to appose them as long as Kagome was trapped in that tower. Kagome smiled as she picked up the pouch and stuffed it into her pocket, with out her, Kane's campaign against the rebels will be a fair fight. Kagome looked back at the castle, the security was so lax Kagome was surprised the rebels never just walked in one night and sacked the place; Lord knows it could be done.
 
Kagome changed to a large black horse and ran from the castle as fast as her legs could carry her. Kagome didn't know where she was going nor did she care, all she cared about was the warm wind against her face, her main blew helplessly in the wind. Kagome completely forgot she was escaping Kane's castle and soon his army would be out to find her, she just ran as the day turned into night and the full moon rose into the cloudy sky. Kagome was pulled out of her blissful experience by raindrops hitting her face, she stopped turning back into a human, she gazed up into the black clouds as the rain increased, Kagome stood under a large tree watching the rain fall, until she fell asleep.
 
Kagome woke up the next morning by the suns rays falling on her face, she stood up dusting off her dress, mystified at the amazing beauty of the area Kagome found herself wondering threw the forest until she found her way to a small pond, her curiosity getting the better of her, she leaned over the ponds edge, staring in amazement at her reflection, Kagome lost her young woman beauty and grew into a very beautiful woman, her once shoulder length hair, had now grown past her waist, before she was captured Kagome was still a young woman with her young woman's charm but now she has blossomed into a beautiful flower, though her once tan skin had become like porcine, pale and with out impurities. Kagome pulled her long hair over her shoulder and started to braid it, humming a tune from her people, her mother would always sing that tune when ever she braided Kagome's hair or her own, once finished Kagome realized even though her people betrayed her she was still apart of them, even if they didn't realize it.
 
“I wonder how long it will take before Kane realizes I'm gone?” Kagome wondered aloud
 
`As long as I am alive he will hunt me,' she thought grimly, pushing the daunting thought to the back of her mind deciding to worry about that later. Kagome found her way to a nearly overgrown path, thick tree branches cast parted shadows on the path, with few rays of light cutting threw Kagome held out her hand, feeling their warmth, stepping into the beam of light she held out both of her hands and closed her eyes remembering how wonderful this feeling that she took for granted. Snapping herself out of her dream world Kagome pushed on, she walked all day never stopping, she knew she wouldn't feel right till she was far from Kane's castle, it wasn't till dusk that Kagome made it out of the forest, she found herself on a hilltop, she could see Kane's fortress in the distance with the setting sun as a backdrop the castle almost looked welcoming, peaceful even.
 
`Surprising what impression a peaceful sunset can cause.' Turning to leave Kagome viewed the darkening sky worrisome,
 
`It's getting late, and I'm hungry I need to find a place to stay.' Kagome thought to herself, pulling out her newly acquired pouch bag of coins. Not far from the forest was a small village, fifty homes at most, but on the far edge of the village sitting on a large plantation was a mansion, the large brick home was lavishly kept up with exotic planets, fires burned in every room, it was magnificent compared to the small log cabin homes that were mostly dark, and decaying, the inn of course was properly kept up, the two story inn was made from log with a brick chimney.
 
“Whoever the Lord of the town is its obvious he's not concerned with the well being of his subjects.” Whispered Kagome to herself, she walked into the inn, the bar was filled with drunken men, the fowl stench of freshly brewed ale hung in the think muggy air, Kagome walked up to the short, balding, dirty man at the front desk.
 
“I need a room please.” She told him,
 
“Ah, very good my lady it's not safe for a lovely young woman like yourself to be traveling this late, and on your own no matter, there be rebels about.” The twig of a man's forced concern turned Kagome's stomach, she merely smiled and paid him, and requested some food brought to her room; he smiled a rotten disgusting smile as he took Kagome's money and led her too her room.
 
“Your supper we arrive shortly, my lady.” Replying with a quite thank you, Kagome walked in and shut the door giving in to the compulsion to quiver when she was near the inn keeper. The room was small with a single bed and wash table and a small candle for light, the room was quiet and worm; being close to the kitchen the heat from the cooking fire heated her room, with a swift flick of a match Kagome lit the candle, the small light cast giant shadows on the halls. A large spider spun his web in a dark corner of the room, despite how much Kagome disliked the room it still had one good aspect, Kagome cold see the stars, they were hidden by the storm clouds the night before, a knock on the door nearly made Kagome jump out of her skin, a young slave girl stood on the other side carry her supper, she was a small petite young woman, her hair was matted and dirty, she wore a dirty tan dress with a grease stained apron, Kagome thanked her and took her food, though she could sense she was more then just a servant here. Kagome sighed deeply for the poor girl, but there nothing she could do, after all she was in hiding if she started saving people with her gifts it would bring too much attention on her.
 
Kagome ate the greasy food; it was a bird, chicken maybe, with lumpy cold potato and stale bread, not the best, but Kagome was use to food like this, she's been forced to eat it sense her imprisonment with Kane, the bed was hard and lumpy, but regardless of how lumpy the bed or disgusting the food, it was the best night Kagome had enjoyed in a very long time, this was a night she was free, and she slept sound knowing that thought in her mind.
 
*~~~~*
 
Kagome woke the next morning to birds chirping out side her window; she looked out the window her eyes glittering with amazement and joy. She walked out of her room with a bright smile, but that smile quickly faded when she saw that disgusting Inn keeper, walking to the servant who brought Kagome her food the night before. The Servant girl hugged herself and looked to the floor as the Inn Keeper smiled and caressed her cheek, Kagome could sense the shame mixed with disgust that span around her delicate soul.
 
`I can't let this go on.' Thought Kagome, as the Servant girl tried to pull away but she was corner against the wall. Kagome pushed her eyebrows together and glared at the Inn Keeper.
 
“Leave her alone.” Said Kagome, the Inn keeper turned his attentions away from the girl, he placed his hand on his hips and twisted a grin at Kagome, the look of his teeth nearly made Kagome shiver with disgust.
 
“And what you going to do about it?” he asked as he strolled up to Kagome, his chin held high, Kagome could sense his arrogance. He held up his dirty ruff hand to caress Kagome. But she slapped it away before it got near her skin, the Inn keepers face twisted with anger; he would be shown up by a useless woman.
 
“You little wench; this will teach you some manners.” The Inn Keeper raised his hand to slap Kagome, her minds eye flashed back to Kane and Kagome helpless to stop him. Kagome's mouth twisted into a scowl and she punched him in the nose. The Inn Keeper howled in pain and staggered back holding his bloody nose; Kagome forced the surge of power and changed into a skunk; the Inn Keeper fell to the ground trying to back away terrified but Kagome backed him far enough away turned around and sprayed him it with a large blast of stink. Kagome changed back and stood over him as he gasped for fresh air.
 
“I think you should leave town, and give your Inn to this woman here. If you don't I'll be back only much larger.” The Inn Keeper looked deep into Kagome's eyes glittering with danger and hunger for him to call her bluff. The Skinny Inn Keeper scrambled to his feet and ran down the stares call behind him.
 
“The Inn is yours Tessa.” Kagome smiled, Tessa stood in utter shock, and Kagome turned to say something but the look of fear in Tessa's eyes stopped her. She turned and left the Inn, Kagome didn't regret what she did, and that creepy Inn Keeper deserved what he got.
 
“Miss.” Kagome turned the Servant girl Tessa was chasing after.
 
“I wanted to thank you for what you did. And to tell you, you're welcome to stay here anytime you like.” Kagome smiled, Tessa gave Kagome back the money she paid for the room and the food she ate. Kagome left the inn, the fowl sense she got from it before was already gone, it left with that dreadful keeper, and explored the village, she loved this village and everything about it, its people, its market everything that is until Kagome came across leaflet nailed to a shop wall.
 
“Slaves for Sale,
Pure breeds,
Half-breeds sell cheep,
Inquire at the home of Lord Akria.”
Was written in big bold letters, it didn't take a scholar to figure out where Lord Akria house was, whatever pleasure Kagome felt from this town was lost completely. She hastily left the town after buying some supplies in the market, though unfortunately the only road out of town had to pass right buy the Lord Akria house, even being near it made her skin crawl and stomach turn, she was completely satisfied leaving the village behind her and never looking back, which it what she was intending to do until something in the distance caught her eye, she could see a figure with long silver hair, warring the pants of a red kimono, Kagome stopped in her tracks nearly dropping her bag.
 
“InuYasha,” she breathed, she shook her head it couldn't be InuYasha, she had to be mistaken, InuYasha was a half demon so even though its been several years sense she last saw him, he would still be a child, but the strange figure wouldn't leave her thoughts, her gut told her to go up there and see if it was InuYasha or not, she knew it would bother her the rest of her life if she didn't. And so reluctantly Kagome walked up the path leading into the court yard of the large house, as she passed the fields she watched several demon slaves tending to them, working very hard, cutting the grain in the field, but if that grain was for the villagers, the village wouldn't be in state of decay it was. The house its self was pure brick, lavish gardens surrounded the front with a large garden to the side, to the right tucked away in the back Kagome seen a large barn.
 
A tall man approached Kagome, she remembered him as the one who struck her when she was a child trying to save InuYasha. His black hair had spits of gray, Kagome wanted to hit him for attacking her from the side like a coward,.
 
“My name is Hiroshi, Can I help you young Lady?” he asked, he revolted Kagome, but that Kagome kept to herself.
 
“I seen a demon from the road, he had silver hair and wares a red kimono, who is he?” Kagome asked posing as a buyer, the best way to get information about a demon slave was to pose as a buyer; her father taught her that.
 
“Yes, that one,” he answered, the disgust thick in his voice,
 
“That dog is a half breed, his mother was a human, her dog slave raped her apparently, and he's well trained, excellent combat skills, he's submissive, though he can have a disobedient tongue on him but his Mark of Subjugation takes care of that or a swift beating and good lashing takes care of it too. I'll be willing to sell him to you for, 50 gold.” The man smiled like a snake, Kagome wanted to wipe that smirk of his face, and drive is face deep into some mud.
 
“A demon like that, I'll give you 25 silver for him nothing more, seeing he needs training.” the man sighed but agreed, Kagome couldn't believe what she was doing, not only did she buy a slave something she promised herself would never do, on the thought it might me InuYasha, the servant lead Kagome to the barn. Kagome could sense someone was in pain, letting her instincts lead her behind the barn, the sight she beheld horrified and disgusted Kagome.
 
It was InuYasha, Kagome was certain of it; he was strung between two logs wedged into the ground, the red top of his kimono removed leaving the vulnerable undershirt, the ropes were tied so tightly they cut into InuYasha's skin demon or not, InuYasha's ear twitched when the whip hit the dirt ground, he braced himself for what he knew was enviably coming next. But no amount of preparation could prepare him; InuYasha held in his screams as the whip stung into his back, it was repeated over and over, InuYasha couldn't hold in his screams any longer. Kagome stood petrified by what she saw, unable to move out of fear. InuYasha's knees tried to buckle under the pain but the poles held him up. InuYasha yelped after every thrash the slave overseer didn't stop until InuYasha's back was covered in blood and lashes, left with only his shreds of a shirt.
 
“What has he done to deserve that?” demanded Kagome; the overseer was a small man wearing a dark blue tunic with black pants and a think dark brown belt.
 
“A long time ago this demon escaped, and hid in the Dark Forest next to the black mountains, the master tracked him there and proceeded to capture him, but this demon is a wild one, can't seem to learn his place as the dog he is, he scared the masters' face with his claws.” Kagome eyes went wide with horror; she was the one that scared that man's face and InuYasha was paying the price for her actions.
 
“Cut him down now!” Kagome demanded it took every ounce of her being not change into a large grizzly bear and tare this master, the servant, and the enforcer to bits; she kept running a single phrase threw her mind.
 
`If you change, Kane will know you've escaped sooner then he should.'
 
“You will treat and dress his wounds, as well as giving him a large meal before I leave, otherwise no deal.” Kagome glared at the servant he gulped and nodded agreeing, not wanting to anger her more. With a swift jester of his hand, two nearby slaves cut InuYasha down and helped his limp body into the barn.
 
“As you wish madam, if you'll be so kind to draw your crest, we can have our Spirit Elves change his Mark of Subjugation to show you as his new master.” Kagome took the paintbrush and paper from Hiroshi; her skin crawled when he touched her. Kagome drew her family crest a large tree with a horse rearing up on front of the tree; Kagome hoped everyone still believed Oracles to be extinct, but she didn't know if that was proven false the day her people betrayed her.
 
“Excellent, now if you'll follow me inside, we'll just finalize everything.” Kagome was lead into a large office threw a door, a large oak desk sat in front of a large wall bookshelf, filled with books of the history of Mika, starting of the slave trade, the servant sat in a large chair behind the desk, he pulled out several papers from the desk drawers', and started filling them out as Kagome sat in a one of the large comfortable black chairs across from the servant.
 
“Your name Miss?”
 
“I'm sorry?” Kagome asked,
 
“Your name so I can list who the slave belongs to on the paperwork.” Answered Hiroshi,
 
“Ah, yes of course; my name is Kagome, Kagome Higurashi.” She answered; Hiroshi smiled as he filled in the rest of the paperwork, Kagome could sense Hiroshi was glad to be rid of InuYasha, that was probably why he was so easy to persuade to sell InuYasha for a much cheaper price, but half breeds rarely went for anything over 50 silver pieces, and only if the demon was extremely handsome or powerful.
 
“Congratulations Miss Higurashi, on purchasing your new slave. I'm sure he'll serve you in whatever plains you have for him.” Kagome looked up at him, raising an eyebrow, she wasn't sure what he meant by that last part, but regardless of his intentions Kagome was only interested in helping InuYasha.
 
“Come, your slave will be waiting for you out front.” Hiroshi led Kagome back out the side door and around the house,
 
`Why is Hiroshi so determined to make sure I don't see the inside?' wondered Kagome, InuYasha was waiting for her out front, his eyes were cast down, hidden by the shadows of his bangs. Kagome recognized the kimono he was wearing, it was the one she gave him when they were children, one of abilities of the cloth of the fire rat was it grew as the owner grew, so even if he got the cloth as a child it would have grown with him into adulthood.
 
“Lets go InuYasha,” said Kagome, turning to leave she wanted to get as far as possible from this retched place as possible. No one had figured out that no one had told her InuYasha's name, and Kagome didn't care if she baffled the people here; the faster she left here the happier she was. InuYasha followed three steps behind Kagome as slave close as a slave was suppose to be, paying rigorous attention he didn't accidentally close the gap, most owners would have immediately punished InuYasha for that oversight. Kagome wanted to come clean with InuYasha and apologize for buying him, letting him suffer for her actions, Kagome stopped and turned to look at InuYasha, she could sense his fear clamp at his heart. Kagome opened her mouth to speak but the words were lost to her.
 
“InuYasha…”
 
End Chapter;
Well what do you all think? I was really trying not to be too depressing like in my last chapters; I hope I pulled it off. Don't forget to review