InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incubus Ambition ❯ Fainting Spells Pt 2 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“What do you think you're doing?” Kagome asked in disbelief. He snapped out of his expression turning to her with a smug look on his face, and any anger that she had built up to spit at him completely stuck in her throat and she gulped it down.
“What?” he asked as if snapping out of a daze. Alex looked back over at her table in ease. Hojou was none too happy about the show and Alex did his little smirk, but then his face hardened and Kagome turned slightly to see what was causing his sudden change in expression. When she did, she found the reason why, Chris had seated himself and his group of friends closer to her table today and she could not help but smile. Alex saw this and shot her a worried glance, and Kagome frowned in response.
“Why are you looking at me like that?”
“What is your connection with that student?” He asked all formal like and Kagome balked not exactly knowing how to answer his question.
“Um, that's Chris Griffith. I guess you can call us friends. Don't you already know that though?” she asked, shocked that he even asked her the connection she had with him like he doesn't even know Chris, “you guys like hate each other right?” He looked down at her in surprise.
“Why do you ask that?” he asked.
“You guys stare at one another like you want to rip each other's throats out,” Kagome said in disbelief.
“Yes,” Alex agreed and then looked away, “I have to go.” Alex then just walked away to his table that contained the boy that looked very much like him and the girl that looked very much like Kagome—the only problem is that the mystery woman was the better twin. Kagome shrugged off Alex's awkward run away. She knew he was only faking his interest in her, and it made her angry. He didn't know her name! She started to walk over to her table empty handed.
“Kagome!” Chris yelled and waved once she walked past his table. She turned and beamed at him, thankful that his mood was not affected by Alex.
“Hey Chris,” she said approaching an empty chair that sat beside him. She grabbed the back of it and slightly leaned against it. She scoped out the others that sat with him at his table and shied away from their glances, “um, new table I see?” she somewhat questioned to break the awkwardness.
“Yea, someone stole our usual one,” he hesitated and then blinked in realization, “sit down Kagome, sit down!” he spurted and then brought a hand over to pull the empty chair out from under the table that she had stood herself behind. She backed away and then glanced around at the other two around the table before sitting down.
Her friends had taken notice of her actions and tried to watch inconspicuously. It was not working. Chris did not seem to notice, he just kept smiling expectantly at her. Another watcher caught her eye. Alex.
She felt awkward when Chris tried to introduce her to the people that slumped back in the chairs around the table. The boy's name that sat to Chris's right was Hermes, he had a hard face; he was muscular like Chris but somewhat more built, his shoulders were wide and his neck was thick, he looked more like a bodyguard than anything. Across the table from Chris sat another male, Matthew; he was slim and his face looked enlightened and smart, he stared at her with interest, but at the same time he was cautious when they were introduced. His dark hair hung down mid-neck in loose curls, his thick eye browns came together questioning Kagome. She almost felt like he was asking her what her motives were by sitting at their table and talking to Chris. She had to stop herself from answering. He stared at her in irritation, his cool blue eyes pierced her, they were like ice and she glanced away towards Chris with a shiver.
Kagome thought that that was it when it came to the people that sat around his table, but then Chris cleared his throat and stared past her. She turned around and locked eyes with the fierce young redheaded female. There was a rumble in Chris's chest.
“This is Ayame,” he nodded, narrowing his eyes at her threateningly.
She did not seem to get the hint and kept her eyes locked with Kagome's, the cool green pools slowly advocated her, and Kagome started to feel as if her world was coming together in a swirl of colors. Matthew reacted quickly by grabbing Ayame's upper arm in a firm grasp. He yanked her so hard that she almost fell off her seat. The connection was broken and Kagome returned quickly back to earth. She turned towards Chris, looking at him in confusion. She didn't understand what just happened, inwardly freaking out, and a bit embarrassed with the icy connection she had just experienced with the redhead and then hallucinating, or whatever she did.
The bell offered an escape and she rapidly collected herself and jogged out of the cafeteria trying to blend into the crowd. When she glanced back at the table Matthew was angrily saying something to Chris, Hermes's hard stare was directed towards Ayame but all she returned was a smirk. Kagome turned back around when a rush of teenagers blocked her view. She felt short of breath and claustrophobic and she quickly broke away into the women's bathroom to douse her face with cold water.
When she stepped out into the hallway littered with teens she turned to walk towards her next classroom keeping her eyes to herself. Ayame, the girl had something against her, she just knew it, and she's never spoken to her before but still she's more afraid then ever of that time coming.
“Kagome,” said a gruff voice from behind her. She sped up her pace and tried to act as if no one was calling her name. She didn't really feel like talking to Chris at the moment. Then, a strong hand wrapped itself around her wrist begging her to stop and listen. She spun around abruptly, knowing who to expect. Her head felt heavy all of a sudden and the world did not want to stop spinning when she did.
“Chris, I have to get to class—,” she said before trying to pull away.
“Please, don't go yet,” he said with a pleading voice that really broke her heart.
“No, Chris, leave me alone,” she tried to pull her arm away again and began to feel a little bit frightened, but she had no idea why. Chris was harmless, but Ayame's stare earlier left her uneasy and sick to her stomach. She knew that the deadly glare received from the redhead was somehow linked to him, like a warning, or not even that—a threat, giving Kagome a sure hint to keep her distance, or else there will be severe consequences.
Chris slowly loosened his grip on her, and that was her cue to run away, but suddenly there was a loud crash. In an instant Alex appeared, pinning Chris flat against the lockers. His forearm strained against Chris's neck as he tried to push free. Kagome gasped and threw herself at Alex trying to pull his arm aside with no success. She looked back and forth between the two, yelling at them to stop fighting. She froze when she caught sight of Chris's eyes. His pupils looked as if they were melting into his irises and his irises were growing, the color was taking up the white in his eyes. His teeth seemed much pointier than usual and she blinked thinking that she was imagining things.
All this commotion called too much attention to itself. Before she knew it Kagome's small body was forced into the two handsome men by all the other rioting student bodies, which were either encouraging the fight or trying to break it up. Students had crowded so much around them that the circle was slowly closing in around the three and making a personal death trap for Kagome. She started to become claustrophobic again, or so she thought, and her breath began to catch in her throat. She found that she could not swallow the air bubbles forming in her throat and she choked. Her eyes bulged in surprise when she once again was pushed into the two teenage boys.
Alex paused from restraining Chris and glanced down at her with a deathly, chilling stare. His irises were outlined in red, and really big, the white in his eyes was almost completely gone.
Kagome could feel herself slipping away, and the new paranoia of these two men was too much for her to handle. She tried to breathe again, but couldn't. It was easier to just let the black completely absorb her vision. She closed her eyes seeing no use in keeping them open and fell limply to the ground as the commotion continued to grow around her.
THE THICK FOG THAT HAD PLACED ITSELF OVER Kagome's thoughts and functions slowly started to fade. Four voices began to bubble up around her, as if someone was slowly turning the FM-AM knob on a radio. Each voice formed a figure in the back of her mind.
Her head bobbed once, and she discovered that a pair of sturdy arms carried her.
“This young lady fainted with all the hysterics in the hallway about two minutes ago,” said a voice of authority from, what seemed to be, behind her and her carrier.
“Oh my, what happened to cause the brawl?” asked a sympathetic, womanly voice, it was low and cracked with age. A dry, cold hand laid itself onto Kagome's forehead seeming to check for a fever.
“These two young men,” started the adult authority-like voice, “were unnecessarily showing off in the hallway.”
A low calm voice mumbled something almost incoherent near her. “If I may ask why you were attacking the girl in the first place— “
“Don't you dare try to pin this ordeal on me!” cut in an angry voice. “Of all the people to scold me about touching a woman, how dare you say such a thing?”
“Yes please bring up old feuds when your facts are not straight.” the male voice spat the words as if they tasted like dirt in his mouth. “Ayame does not pertain to this particular subject whatsoever.”
Kagome heard a low growl, a sound that a vicious dog would make. She did not feel comfortable, she felt like the growl was somewhat for her sake, that the two would not be fighting if she would have just stopped and listened to what Chris had to say instead of being so stubborn.
“Come, come now and lye her down on this bed here,” the old woman said interrupting their little feud.
Kagome's eyes fluttered open and she tensed when she saw two golden pools staring down at her. His eyes were back to normal. Did she just imagine it?
“She's awake now.” Alex said without turning away from her, a hand then forced his face out of the way.
“May, how are ya' feeling?” Chris asked insistently, he glared at Alex as if he was the reason it took her so long to come to. “You collapsed in the middle of the crowd back there,” Chris informed before going out of Kagome's sight. She looked over surprised and saw the principal holding the back of Chris's shirt in a firm fist.
“You, Alex,” said the principal, “come with me,” he ordered in a commanding voice. He had a tan shirt on and a striped green tie, his facial expression and voice reminded her of a policeman. From the sound of it, Chris and Alex were going to get the whip for starting a fight in the hallway. Chris was grinning now, completely unabashed by this situation and he slipped away from the principal's grasp with ease. He smiled at Kagome, who was lying on the small blue-green bed. He seemed to be rather amused by the commanding figure, as if it were all just a joke.
“Hope you are feeling better the next time I see you,” Chris said and then turned around and followed the principal out of the Nurse's office. Alex followed not far behind. He stopped at the door and glanced listlessly back at her and then continued walking.
Kagome just rolled her eyes. His blonde hair covered his eyes just a bit, his arms were crossed as if all this was a waste of time. She felt weak from fainting so suddenly, it had never happened to her before. Chris and Alex's animalistic behavior flipped a switch in her mind and she couldn't handle the odd things that it triggered to happen in her body. She was going as far as to link her sickness to the destructive duo.
When Alex's eyes changed and Chris made that noise . . . Kagome brought her hand to her head. When they began to fight it was as if it frightened the very life out of her. She didn't understand; she had seen men fight before, it was a normal coming and going, but she's never fainted because of it.



Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha. Copyright belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takashi