InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incubus Ambition ❯ Crash Course Pt 2 ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Copyright belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takashi. As goes for this entire Fanfic story.
KAGOME AWOKE LATER THAT NIGHT TO TWO male voices speaking to one another behind the vertical folded curtain to the right of her bed. The veil of sleep and drugs kept her from assessing the situation. She closed her eyes again and rolled over to try to fall back to sleep. The men's conversation continued and Kagome hardly cared to listen, but she really did not have much of a choice.
“Why are you here with this girl?” asked one of the male voices.
“I told you already, she got into a car wreck and I accompanied her here to the hospital,” replied the other voice in irritation. Kagome could tell that he was hiding something, but she was not the only one because the other voice snorted in response.
“No, I'm sick of hearing one lie after another. Do you take me for a fool, Inuyasha?”
Kagome's eyes opened in fright at the mention of this strange name. Accompanying her to the hospital, that was Alex. Who were in her hospital room?
“Do you think I was born yesterday? I'm decades older than you are, don't play games with me,” his voice became almost sinister, he was threatening the other and Kagome couldn't comprehend why there was so much fuss over this situation. The man continued in a lower voice and Kagome had to strain her ears to hear what was said next. “Are you following through with Father's orders?”
The room became silent for a few seconds, but those few seconds seemed like a few lifetimes to Kagome, she was perplexed with this conversation and dying to hear the other's answer. “Father sent me to accompany you to this realm and you have to report to me.” Finally the second male responded very reluctantly.
“I thought this girl was Kagura, because the Griffith family was so interested in her. I thought they were trying to beat the Abalon family to her execution,” he sighed. “So I have been following this girl. But only because Kagura has the ability to conceal her power and to change her identity.”
“Have you discovered anything?” The other man, the eldest, asked in anticipation.
“I found out last night that she is in fact not Kagura,” he answered.
“Then why, may I ask are you still with this girl if she is in fact not Kagura?” the other asked irritably.
“It is complicated,” Inuyasha began, “there was a mix up, Kagura found out about our presence. So she made her presence known to me last night and this girl happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time making it impossible for me to take action.”
“You should have followed through with your mission and killed the girl in the process,” said the other voice coldly. “How did this girl get involved with your proceedings last night?”
“No,” Inuyasha said. “Father picked me for this mission because I can restrain myself from taking multiple lives.” Silence followed, he must have struck a nerve because the other stayed silent.. “And to answer your second question: I was following Kagura. The crash happened near us, we were only about ten miles away and she went straight for it. That's why this girl is in the hospital. Kagura threw the car down the hill for a fast get away and left me to clean up the mess.”
“Then, my dear little brother, what do you expect to do now?”
“I don't know exactly. Kagura is the reason for the multiple deaths that have occurred through the passing of our time here. She's getting sloppy, or either that she wants to get captured.” Inuyasha paused, “I'm almost positive that she is going to come after the girl because I stopped her first attack on her. That is why I'm here tonight. I must keep tabs on her whereabouts.”
“The first attack? You still have not told me everything.” The older brother said in irritation.
“There was an alleyway . I think Kagura was targeting this human but I stopped her before any damage could be inflicted.” Inuyasha said reluctantly as the older moved to leave.
“If you do not follow through with Father's orders, then I certainly will. This situation with Kagura would have been taken care of by now if it was me and I can promise you that I will kill anyone who comes in my way, including you.”
There was nothing more said after these harsh words. Kagome strained to hear if they had left. When she was sure that they had exited the room she sat up in her hospital bed and looked around her pitch-black room. Questions came to her mind like the sound of popcorn in a microwave. Everything that she heard was so intriguing, she wanted to know more and her mind would not stop working over time, and she couldn't expect to go to sleep after the conversation that she just over heard.
Kagome was able to leave the hospital two days later only because there were a few complications. Kagome found out that if a person gets any kind of head injury it is handled with supreme care. Some tests had to be run to see if she was for sure okay after she complained about some head discomfort and then passed out. Some tests would take a few days to give ready results.
Kagome's doctor let her get back to her life if she made sure to come back if she experienced anything out of the ordinary. Her mother drove her home and Kagome was bed ridden all day that Tuesday. Her mother insisted on her staying home longer but Kagome would not consider it. She had already missed three days of school and it wasn't just that her school work was piling up; she needed to get Alex alone. There was something over her head occurring and she was determined to find out what it was. Kagome had not seen Alex since the hospital that previous weekend. He did not come in to visit her again after the night of the accident. Kagome was yearning for some answers. The extremely weird conversation between this Inuyasha and his older brother didn't make any sense.
Is Alex in a gang and Inuyasha is his coda name…pimp name or something? They were talking about some Kagura person and their father's orders in my hospital room. Was Alex an assassin? And then Chris has his own role in this play. The new information had her mind buzzing.
As soon as Kagome and Yuri entered school Wednesday morning they were bombarded by their group of friends and their questions. People whose names escaped Kagome walked up to her and talked to her about the accident saying they were worried about her. To be honest she was flattered but at the same time, she wondered if these people have anything better to do than worry about someone they hardly know.
She entered her first period class with one person in mind, and that one person was sitting in his assigned seat ready for the lesson to start. Alex looked up at Kagome and locked eyes with her. He then looked away from her and out the window. Kagome took a deep breath and held her books tight to her chest. She then broke away from Yuri to walk over to the handsome boy.
“Hey Alex,” she started nervously, “thank-you for everything you did for me at the car wreck and then staying with me in the hospital to make sure I was okay,” she said not meeting his eyes.
“It wasn't a problem, I'm just glad that I drove by your accident so I could get an ambulance called right away,” he smiled up at her and then turned into his desk, signaling the conversation to an end. Kagome looked at his brush off in suspicion, it was a three sixty compared to the night in the hospital. At the hospital he sat for six hours by her bedside even though she was okay. His attitude angered her.
Kagome leaned down to him with a smile. “Alex you are so weird, the least you can do is give me an explanation.” He looked at her suspiciously but didn't answer. “You know what I'm talking about.” She smiled smugly, “Inuyasha.” She said and a flash of horror stuck his face but immediately dissolved back into his cool temper cover up. “I know you have been following me around, I want an explanation,” she said sternly and then stood up straight.
Alex glared at her. “I guess it's a date then. I'll get a hold of you,” he said without any hint of enthusiasm. Kagome huffed before turning away from him.
Yuri was trying to eavesdrop like usual and turned to Kagome as she walked back. “That was so weird, why did he act so formal with you, he stayed at the hospital with you all night for god's sake!” Yuri tried to whisper but with no success.
Kagome smiled, “formal? No way—he asked me on a date.” Kagome cringed away from Yuri as thoughts came to her mind about Alex. Did he really only help me because he thought he had to, and he would have done it for anyone else? Even sit at their bed side for six hours? she shook her head and took out her English book and turned to page 162 as her teacher instructed on the board. It doesn't matter, I'm going to figure out exactly what is going on, Kagome thought spitefully. All through class Yuri babbled on and on to Kagome about Alex. Kagome sighed when she noticed how much more Yuri was excited than she was about this so called `date'.
At lunch all of Kagome's friends watched her as if expecting her to do a trick. She sighed irritably; Yuri obviously had nothing better to gossip about that morning. Hojou was obviously hurt about her supposed date with Alex and a few of the girls were sitting by him for mental support.
Kagome didn't touch her food and she was surprised that her friends didn't bother her with questions. Yuri must have told them it was a secret and to not bring it up in front of her. She expected this would happen but she didn't really care about the gossip. Alex held the most part of her thoughts and being sick of her friends she ended up walking out of the cafeteria early. Before she knew it a firm hand squeezed her shoulder making her stop and turn around. She was annoyed to see Chris looking down at her guiltily instead of Alex coming to explain himself.
“Kagome I really wasn't trying to scare you or anything last week. I hope that I wasn't the one to cause you to pass out.”
Kagome looked up at the handsome boy in confusion and it took her a minute to figure out what he was talking about. Finally things clicked in her mind and then she laughed at him. “Chris, no don't be sorry, I don't know why I was being so ridiculous,” she laid her hand on his shoulder, “please, forgive me.” She smiled up at him and he grinned back.
“Okay, you're forgiven,” he said and then Kagome laughed at him. They continued walking together. “Where are we going anyway?” Chris asked as he scratched the back of his neck.
“I don't know where I'm going. Where are you going?” she asked knowing that he was just following her lead. The bell rang and Chris did his stupid grin again.
“Well I'm going to study-hall.”
“Well I'll follow your lead,” she said dramatically.
Kagome was surprised to see that Alex didn't cringe and stare threateningly toward Chris when they walked from study hall to her locker today. He just went on with his usual daily agenda, acting as if Kagome and he didn't know each other. This hurt her feelings and she didn't understand what caused him to give her the cold shoulder. The glare he gave her this morning seemed to be always at the back of her mind.
That fateful date Alex and she had arranged never happened. Kagome caught herself always looking for Alex when she was outside of school. But other than this everyone continued on with their normal lives. Chris was still the same old Chris and after a week or so Kagome began to get over her budding feelings and curiosity for Alex. She shrugged off all of her nagging questions and soon It became normal to not have him a part of her thoughts. Chris still walked her to and from class and Kagome got used to ignoring Ayame's cold stares.
One day Chris was absent from school and Kagome took longer getting to lunch than everyone else. On her way to the cafeteria, she saw the gorgeous red head leaned up against the hallway wall. Kagome stopped, not knowing whether or not she should walk another way. This seemed like a pretty absurd idea. Why should she walk the whole way around the school just to avoid some red head that wasn't very fond of her for some stupid reason? With that, Kagome continued walking down the hallway and tried to pretend that this red headed goddess wasn't even there in the first place. When Kagome walked past, she let out the breath that she had been holding in relief. She was happy that the girl didn't say or do anything like she had suspected.
She spoke too soon. “Hey you, girl,” said the girl and Kagome slowed down, cursing herself for not taking the other route to get to the cafeteria. She didn't answer at first.
“Are you deaf, girl?” Ayame asked rudely. Kagome was startled to find the red head standing right in front of her when she finally stopped and turned around.
“How did you—“ Kagome began to ask but the goddess of a girl interrupted.
“What do you think you are doing? You should know better than that to hang around the bunch of us. Since you haven't gotten the hint I'll tell you now, stay away from Chris,” Ayame threatened, her eyes pierced Kagome like a knife and she shrunk away from the cold stare.
“I- I don't know what you are talking about,” Kagome fumbled over her words in response and looked away from the red head. “Chris and I are nothing more than friends, I swear.”
“Don't act foolish with me girl, stay away from Chris, he's mine,” she spat at Kagome and added on, “Inuyasha knew better and got out before he was in too deep.” Kagome's eyes widened at Alex's code name, it was the first time she heard it in over a week. “I don't know what you are, or what you are up to,” she said and then paused and put a polished hand on Kagome's shoulder. She pushed her arm forward lightly and Kagome fell backwards and hit the floor with a hard thump. She looked up at the red headed girl in fright. “Just know that I'm watching you, every minute of the day, and if you slip up once,” she paused, which made a surprisingly dramatic effect, and repeated, “just once,” Ayame locked her cold eyes with Kagome's, “I will make sure that that day is your last.”
Kagome was shocked and didn't know what to say to this hostile girl. Ayame ended the conversation before Kagome could even form a word in response by flicking her hair and walking gracefully past Kagome as she sat on the floor dumbfounded.
Kagome did not want to get up and go to school the next day, her scolding by Ayame left her mind scrambled, to put it dramatically. She didn't know whether or not she should confess this meeting with Chris or not, and the things Ayame said to her made absolutely no sense. It made her think back to the hospital room when Alex and that mysterious man were talking about her. All she wanted were answers. All she knew was that she was not getting them and it frustrated her.
The bunch of us, Kagome thought about the hidden meaning Ayame had intended by referring to the group in such a way. They must all be in this gang. But how is Ayame so strong? It had to of been the clarification that Kagome wanted, that in fact Ayame, Chris, Hermes, Matthew, Alex and his two companions were nothing like she and her own friends and that they must be involved with some type of illegal business. What else could it be?
“Hey Kagome!” said a girl, she was short with long light brown hair.
“Hi Emily, what's up?” Kagome answered. She had just gotten into the school and felt blessed for not having to deal with any more girl drama since she came back.
“Not much, I was wondering what you were doing tonight? Since it's the weekend I thought that I would invite the gang to my house,” Emily said with a smile. Kagome really didn't feel like being social but she couldn't run from her friends forever and Emily's smile tugged her closer and closer to jumping on the hay wagon. After a few seconds of thought Kagome finally nodded and returned the smile.
“Sure, count me in!”
“Okay sweet!” chirped Emily and she began to walk away. “Oh, and everyone is coming around eight, okay?” she said over her shoulder and then ran off to a group of kids gathered together by a bench in the hallway. Though Kagome doesn't know now, going to this party will be life changing.
Feel free to review. I love to know what my readers think!