InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha A Feudal Fairytale: Bound By A Promise ❯ The Demon Wind Vs. The Holy Flame ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: The Demon Wind Vs. The Holy Flame

The Inuyasha-gumi kept traveling and continued their pursuit of the evil hanyou that was Naraku (A/N: Sorry, I HATE him!!!!!! *gets throttled for interrupting the story so early by Shihaisha*). Inuyasha suddenly froze up, his ears and nose twitching as a sudden gust of wind brought the distinguishing scent of the Wind Sorceress. A low deadly growl escaped from his throat, the past two days had not been good and now, it seemed to have taken a turn for the worst. Kagome stopped, looking immediately at her hanyou companion; over the past 2 years she had grown sensitive to his moods and emotions, not to mention his body language.

"Inuyasha, what is it you're sensing?"

Inuyasha was often surprised as of late about Kagome, she had become increasingly identical to something psychic, and she was now able to sense things about him, sometimes before he even realized it.

"Yeah, somethin's up alright. The stink of that bitch Kagura is in the air. She's goin for the kill somewhere; her damned youki is reading pissed as anything." The inu youkai scowled darkly.

Kagome's blue-grey eyes narrowed and darkened as she brushed a lock of raven hair from her eyes. She shouldered her backpack (A/N: How much does that damn thing weigh?!?!?!?!?!?!) and climbed on to her bike, stopping when she noticed the odd look on his face.

"What's wrong?"

Inuyasha scowled to himself and looked away, feeling his face begin to heat up a little.

`Dammit, Miroku said if I started dropping subtle hints then she'd return them back. Why the hell isn't it working?!'

Miroku felt himself smile, a matching one came across Sango's face as well, and the two of them exchanged a glance and wink. Both of them plus Shippou had been working very hard on getting the two of them together. So far, Inuyasha's intensions had been clumsy but, well meant. Subtle things like waiting an extra hour for Kagome to return from her time instead of rushing head long after her, carrying her backpack and even complimenting her on how much she had improved on her aim. The young man only shook his head and sighed.

"Inuyasha, you and Kagome-sama go from the right while Sango, Kirara and Shippou and I go around from the left, that way Kagura will be surrounded, mostly."

Kagome looked startled before nodding her agreement; she did however wonder what Miroku had planned.

`Knowing him, it's nothing that equals decent behavior for poor Sango-chan. Oh well; at least I know that I can rely on Inuyasha not to grope me.'

The party separated into different paths, knowing a brutal life or death battle was about to commence. Inuyasha finally convinced the miko woman to leave behind that annoying metal wreck and to rely on him for transportation. He held on to her legs tightly as he flew through the trees.

"You shoulda listened to me sooner Kagome, I'm much faster than that stupid contraption of yours!"

Kagome rolled her eyes and moved a little closer to shield herself from the wind, a small smile on her face before she sensed someone they had met before and well, she could tell this wasn't going to be a joyful reunion.

`Oh yeah, really joyful, if you count Inuyasha swinging the Tetsusaiga at the people on his "To Kill" list. But, in Sesshoumaru's case, it's the "I'm going to almostkill you and gloat about my oncoming victory while you use Toukijin to slit my throat before kicking it." Oh well, at least Konaosu-san will be there, that should give me enough time to figure out something.'

Inuyasha scowled and began to run faster, his face breaking from the bitter expression and into a cocky smirk Kagome knew all too well.

"Well, well, well, look's like I'm lucky today. That bitch Kagura gets to die right after I kill that smug bastard Sesshoumaru and that cheeky bitch Konaosu. After this, Naraku's history and the Shikon is mine."

Kagome reached up and gently tugged on his ear, her expression turning worried and distracted as she tried to redirect his attention to the matter at hand.

"Inuyasha, for one, Kagura is the one we get first; she's the one who can destroy your Kaze no Kizu."

`Besides, taking on Konaosu-san AND Sesshoumaru? We allremember how well that last fight went.'

The hanyou boy wasn't really listening because of a very distracting woman on his back, well so what? He was a guy and Kagome was a very attractive woman…. Not that he'd tell her that to her face.

"Alright alright, we'll destroy Kagura and then kill the other two. Jeez, quit worrin so damn much Kagome."

He nearly started to laugh after she shot back an equally defensive comment.

"I'll quit worrying when you quit making me worry."

"Feh."

"Whatever"

**************************************************

Perched high in the trees, the ebony haired wind sorceress watched the scene below, her ruby eyes narrowed as she held her fan to her chest.

`How dull, Naraku wanted me to spy on a hanyou woman and a ningen girl. Though, why Sesshoumaru would allow a hanyou near his ward is curious enough.'

A look of disgust came over her face as a sudden thought came into her mind.

`This had better not be another `Kikyou' situation or I'll kill him myself. The world is bad enough with that undead woman roaming out there. Besides, she may be prettier than the miko but, she lacks what I myself have.'

Narrowing her flame colored eyes Kagura aimed at the woman's head before spying the monk with the cursed hand also spying below. Disgust filled her face as she watched the young man spy on the hanyou woman.

`If it's female and looks half decent, that lecherous monk will go after it. Ugh, no wonder his family is cursed for life, such behavior is only biding it's time for trouble to come calling. Now, Inuyasha and the wench are coming, I think I shall, drop in on them and make them my puppets.'

*****************************************

Miroku had separated from Sango and the other two by mistake but, it wasn't turning out too badly. He had stumbled upon the Lady Konaosu bathing and had hidden so she wouldn't be disturbed. He did not look at the child, for that would place him at Naraku's level.

(A/N: It's time for another round of,DIS THAT BASTARD!! *Shihaisha grabs that long hair and starts dragging Yoake away.* Wait till the end of the chapter!! *Yoake is shown being dragged away kicking and screaming* But I wanna do it now before that evil muther--- *Yoake is once again knocked out* Watch it.)

`Surely the great Buddha himself has smiled on me today. Such a lovely sight…… Probably a good thing I'm alone, I don't think Sango would find this amusing.'

******************************************

Rin was overjoyed; finally she had someone to play with at bath time. That baka Jaken was always mean to her and Sesshoumaru-sama never took a bath, well, not that she'd seen him anyway. She splashed happily in the water as Konaosu took her time undressing and folding her clothes and armor, laying Seishi Hino within easy reach before sliding into the heated water with a sigh. The little girl suddenly noticed a darker raised line on Konaosu's left side and splashed over and looked solemnly at it.

"Nao-kaa-san? Rin wants to know why you have a line. Will you tell Rin or, is Rin going to be a pest by asking?"

"Rin-chan you are never a pest." Konaosu smiled down at her before continuing.

"The line is nothing, just an old wound."

Rin's eyes widened to saucers as she nodded, her face taking on the adorable stubbornness of a small child.

"Nao-kaa-san is hurt???!!! Rin knows how to make it better."

The little girl turned towards the way they had come and yelled in an alarmed voice.

"SESSHOUMARU-SAMA!!! NAO-KAA-SAN'S HURT!! IT LOOKS VERY BAD TO RIN!!! COME AND HEAL IT ONEGAI SESSHOUMARU-SAMA!!!"

Rin turned and smiled cheerfully to Konaosu.

"There, now Sesshoumaru-sama will come and make it feel all better. Sesshoumaru-sama can heal anything."

Konaosu resisted the urge to cover her face. `So much for my bath…'

"You think very highly of Sesshoumaru-sama, don't you Rin-chan?"

The little girl nodded emphatically.

"Rin-chan you should clothe yourself before our great lord arrives."

Rin looked at her strangely before shaking her head.

"Sesshoumaru-sama has seen Rin in the bath before. Why is Nao-kaa-san so shy?"

Before the woman could answer, Rin had jumped into a rather deep part of the hot springs near a clump of bushes and emerged.

(A/N: This just freaking screams disaster huh people?)

The little girl seemed to stare at something for a long while before quietly returning to Konaosu's side, tugging gently on the older girl's long raven hair.

"Nao-kaa-san, psst, that bush right there has an eyeball." Rin whispered.

Konaosu raised a questioning eyebrow before glancing towards the bush.

"Rin-chan, there is no eyeball in that bush."

The young child's face turned into an insistent pout as she pointed at another bush.

"Is so, see? There it is again. Sesshoumaru-sama doesn't have blue eyes."

(A/N: Like he'd be peeking through a bush anyways.)

Konaosu's eyes narrowed as she caught sight of what Rin meant. An all too familiar scent drifted on the breeze.

`I do believe that I have made some small miscalculations when it comes to certain new acquaintances of mine.'

"Don't worry about the bush Rin-chan; I'll take care of it."

Rin looked over at Konaosu with a sweet innocent look as she smiled again.

"Rin wasn't worried; Rin just thought Nao-kaa-san should know about it."

The little girl laughed and splashed around some more, getting Konaosu wet as well.

"Sesshoumaru-sama has told Rin many times that if Rin sees or feels anything bad, then Rin is to tell either Jaken-sama or Sesshoumaru-sama. But, now that Nao-kaa-san is here, Rin can tell her too. Now everything will be OK again and Rin won't be lonesome no more."

Konaosu smiled and kept her attention focused on Rin, all the while slowly moving backwards towards the bank of the spring. By the time Rin had finished her little speech, Konaosu had come within reach of her blade.

"I do believe that I would be lonesome if it were not for you Rin-chan."

Konaosu rested a hand on the bank.

Rin splashed back over and came up behind the Suzaku hanyou woman, her tiny arms wrapped around as much of Konaosu's waist as she could reach.

"Rin is very glad that Nao-kaa-san is here. Rin has wanted an okaa-san for a very long time now, and Rin is very happy that Nao-kaa-san isn't lonely anymore. If Nao-kaa-san does get lonely, she will come to Rin right?"

Her big brown eyes looked up at Konaosu, shining with adoration and the seriousness of her question.

"Always, now Rin-chan hold still."

"Why?"

Konaosu grabbed the hilt of the Seishi Hino, drawing it from its sheath in a blink of an eye, and hurtled it directly into the middle of the bush.

"That's why... Seishi Hino!"

Rin blinked and heard the sound of a man's yell of surprise and pain before she turned her head to one side and nodded wisely.

"Ooh, that's why."

***********************************************************

Miroku had been watching with happiness at the sight and had been given quite a fright when a sword pierced through the brush he was in and caught the back of his robes, pinning him to the tree behind him. Before he could breathe a sigh of relief, the sword suddenly erupted into flames, singeing his shoulder and the collar of his robes.

"WHOA! I SURRENDER PEACEFULLY, PLEASE CALL BACK YOUR BLADE!"

To Konaosu's misfortune, the underbrush cracked underneath the foot of someone approaching, the all too familiar scent of the taiyoukai reached Konaosu's nose.

"Dammit."

Rin looked happy at the arrival of her Sesshoumaru-sama and scampered in the waist high water towards him.

"Sesshoumaru-sama! Rin called you because Nao-kaa-san's hurt!! Oh, and Rin found an eyeball in a bush and it was attached to this person, does Sesshoumaru-sama know him?"

Sesshoumaru glanced once over at the unfortunately placed monk and narrowed his eyes slightly.

"You are from that foolish hanyou's party are you not. What brings you to these lands?"

Miroku cast a helpless look, one that had actually gotten him out of trouble multiple times, in the direction of the hanyou woman in the water. He was smart and didn't look at her in the water, as much as he was tempted.

"Inuyasha and the others are a little ways behind me; we met with an unfortunate accident and were separated. I believe I accidentally found myself stumbling into the bathing grounds of these two ladies. If you could remove the sword from the tree, I will leave you to your own devices."

Sesshoumaru didn't look like he was buying it, the first part, about the monk separating from the group was truth but the rest, well, the monk did fabricate a lie very well, better than most ningen and youkai. Still, his lies were traceable through his scent.

"………"

Konaosu had slipped out of the picture to grab her under kimono and was in the process of securing it closed when Rin's voice piped up.

"Nao-kaa-san, Sesshoumaru-sama has to check your cut! You have to treat it before it goes bad!"

Sesshoumaru turned, somehow, the effortless move pissed off Konaosu, maybe it was because he made the turn look so graceful, or, it could be because he was now staring at her in her under clothing.

(A/N: Take your pick, either or would piss me off…. *Yoake grins* Well….. *gets thwacked by Shihaisha* Shi: Stick to the story, not your thoughts Yoake. Yoake: Alright, Alright, Sheesh.. *goes off to nurse her head* Yoake: Itai…..)

Konaosu tried to mask her exasperated expression but was not totally successful. She let out a slow breath.

"In a moment Rin-chan, it is not that urgent, and I need to retrieve my blade."

Konaosu finished her sentence with an icy look aimed in Miroku's direction.

Miroku gave his best winning smile to the young woman, he had a feeling that trying his trademark line would not in fact, be a wise idea, this time.

"Ah, as soon as I am….released, perhaps I can inform you as to why Inuyasha and the rest of our group are here."

Sesshoumaru nodded once, but only in the slightest way. A sideways glance at Konaosu was about to prove very interesting for the monk.

"I assume this is the only time you have thrown away your blade. Let it be the last. Remove the blade from the tree and let the monk say his peace."

Konaosu's eyes narrowed and she felt her temper flare, the flames of her blade mirroring her emotions.

"Thank you for your permission, milord."

Miroku's face quickly turned from calm to alarmed in a heartbeat's time, his skin was beginning to blister from the heat and he'd rather not explain to the others how he got them.

"Ah, before this conversation continues, will someone please remove this blade?? It is a little uncomfortable."

Sesshoumaru's eyes were barely glowing in amusement.

"Konaosu, remove the blade before you kill him. I would rather not have to explain why one of my foolish half brother's followers had passed on."

`Not that the monk did not have it coming. The fool, if ningens learned to mask their scents like youkai are able to, he would have gotten away with it.'

For some reason, the thought of the monk being able to do such a thing was unnerving.

Rin could sense the tension rising between the three adults and frowned.

"Rin wants Nao-kaa-san to be healed!!!!"

(A/N: Apparently, like all little kids, Rin does not like to be ignored. Shihaisha: And you would know that well Yoake?" *Yoake glares in anger* Yoake: Ha ha Shi, Ha freakin ha. Back to the story.)

Konaosu looked down at the impatient worried little girl, and sighed. She sat on the edge of the bank and beckoned to Rin.

"If it is so important to you Rin-chan, I will make it better now."

Rin blinked and looked up at her, big brown eyes worried.

"You don't need Sesshoumaru-sama? But, how is Nao-kaa-san going to heal without Sesshoumaru-sama's help?"

Konaosu smiled down at Rin.

"Not for this Rin-chan. I do not need to pester the taiyoukai for a minor wound, such as this."

Konaosu extended her hand, a purplish glow emanating from it.

"And as for how, this is how." Konaosu held her hand before Rin.

The little girl and the two men weren't the only ones interested in the hanyou woman's ability to heal herself. Kagura watched closely from her perch in the tree above the group. Her ruby eyes narrowed slightly as she raised her fan to her mouth, ready to snap the seal over it just in case.

`So, the hanyou is about to reveal some of her abilities. Finally, an event of interest that proves useful, not entertaining.'

Rin looked at the glow in Konaosu's hand before looking up at the older woman, thoroughly puzzled.

"Sesshoumaru-sama does that too, only it's green and well, Rin doesn't think it heals. Jaken-sama says that that's why Sesshoumaru-sama has no enemies."

The taiyoukai raised a slight eyebrow.

`That is not all he told her by the sound of her tone. Perhaps the next stone should be thrown with a little more force to get the message across.' Or, he could allow Konaosu to handle it, either one would prove amusing.

Miroku cleared his throat, not wanting to intrude on such a tender moment but really having no choice in the matter.

"Konaosu-sama, I truly mean no harm. Please, remove your blade, my shoulder is feeling a little warm."

Konaosu shifted her gaze from Rin's face to Miroku. Her expression changing from fondness to something a kin to vengeance.

"I think that you are well situated for the moment. I will call my flames back, but if you touch my blade you will learn the real meaning of fury."

`I should leave you as you are, then perhaps you would not so eagerly lose yourself where you have not been invited!'

Miroku thought for a moment and before he decided to be silent, parted with the wisdom that he and the rest of his team had.

"The reason for our party to be in these lands, is because Inuyasha caught Kagura's scent."

Sesshoumaru, who had been about to leave the area to check on the camp, stopped and turned back, his eyes narrowed.

Konaosu shifted an intense stare from the monk to Sesshoumaru. `Kagura…who is this Kagura?' There was some sort of history here that she knew nothing about. The urgency that was displayed by the monk, and even somewhat by Sesshoumaru, put her on edge.

"Naraku's spawn is nearby, Konaosu, finish dressing and retrieve your blade."

Sesshoumaru's order snapped Konaosu out of her reverie. She inclined her head in acquiescence. `Naraku…that name seems familiar…'

His eyes searched the canopy above them, spotting the woman just as he caught her scent.

"Kagura, you have heard most, if not all of the conversation. Show yourself."

Sesshoumaru removed a second blade, one that held a violent aura within the blade and held it to his side. The threat was subtle but effective as the wind user landed in front of the small group.

"As you command."

Konaosu grabbed Rin and leapt across the spring, landing in front of Miroku as Kagura landed on the ground. She freed her blade from the tree and held it at her side, her eyes narrowed and held no warmth. `So this is Kagura…'

Kagura noticed the woman, still clad in the white under kimono, and smirked to herself. Dislike because she had been ordered to watch this woman had been immediate but now, it only served to grow in intensity. A superior smile came over Kagura's face.

"So you are the hanyou slave, how fitting for one that serves like a dog under the control of mere ningen."

"And whose a dog Kagura?! Last I heard, you're still Naraku's bitch."

`And just when I thought things could not get any worse…they do. Someone needs to teach that damn pup to mind his own business!'

Inuyasha came bursting from the brush, Tetsusaiga drawn and ready as Kagome and Sango followed on Kirara. Sesshoumaru did not look pleased that his half brother was there, then again, the agitation of the past events was beginning to catch up with him.

"Inuyasha, have you just now discovered Kagura's scent? You will never defeat Naraku with such pathetic senses."

"Fuck off Sesshoumaru! No one asked you!"

Kagome shook her head, Sango patting the girl on the back.

"I knew something like this would happen…..not once can they stop chewing at each other…not once."

Konaosu looked over at Kagome from across the spring and smiled.

"You must remember that they are brothers, Kagome-san."

In unison the brothers both had the exact same response.

"I'm nothing like that bastard!"

"I, Sesshoumaru am nothing like that half breed bastard."

Konaosu's smile grew.

"My point is proven, though I do believe that my taiyoukai has a good deal more sense."

Konaosu shot a cold glare towards Kagura. `Slave…she will eat her own words…'

Kagura's own eyes narrowed as she held her fan to her chest, spreading the weapon out. `How dare she! That hanyou wench shall die by my hands.'

(A/N: Shi: I feel that I must warn you of an impending cat fight!! If you feel that this is too much for you, then I would suggest that you not read any further. Yoake: Hmm, a little bit of instantaneous rivalry, though I don't think Konaosu realizes what she's doing. Oh well, makes for some hella good entertainment! Shi: On with the story…)

"So, slave onna, care to try the very wind? I promise you a lethal fight."

Inuyasha stopped what almost had been a blood bath between brothers in order to shout a comment to Kagura.

"Your battle's with me Kagura! Not that wimpy bitch over there."

Kagome didn't need to see Konaosu's face in order to tell what the woman was probably thinking, `This one is for you Konaosu-san.'

"Inuyasha……."

The sweetly said name from Kagome's mouth froze the cocky hanyou in his tracks, his head whipping over to see the smile on Kagome's face, `Shit! She only smiles like that when she's about to..'

"Don't you…"

"Osuwari!"

:THUD!:

Sesshoumaru had to admit to himself, that was pretty amusing.

Konaosu watched as Inuyasha collected himself from the crater beneath him.

The sat hanyou was pissed.

"DAMMIT KAGOME! QUIT SAYING THE FUCKING WORD!"

"Inuyasha…"

Her sweet tone resulted in a sharp glance from the afore mentioned hanyou. Not to mention curious looks from the rest of the onlookers.

"Now, now, if you retain the use of your brain and behave yourself like the good pup I know you are, I promise that I will let you play with the left over scraps."

Miroku could not help the wide grin that spread over his face, it was nice, seeing his overly confident friend put into his place.

"I find that quite a generous offer Inuyasha, perhaps you should take her up on it."

Inuyasha was now officially livid, his eyes burned amber fire and death at two people.

"Miroku, I swear to you god, I'll fuckin kill your ass when this is over. As for you."

A very "polite" heated glare was sent Konaosu's way.

"I don't fuckin trust your promises or whatever shit you said. You'll probably go and run away from the battle when the sun comes up."

Rin tugged on Konaosu's hair again, asking for her attention.

"Nao-kaa-san? Rin wants to know what a bastard is. What is that?"

Kagura raised an eyebrow.

"Even I do not teach the little ones such things."

Konaosu ignored Kagura's comment and knelt down beside Rin, still keeping her attention focused on those gathered.

"Rin-chan, do you see that mangy white haired pup over there?"

Konaosu pointed to Inuyasha.

Rin looked confused and pointed at Inuyasha, mimicking Konaosu.

"That's not a bastard, that's Inuyasha, that's what Kagome-onee-san said."

Another glare was sent Kagome's way as the miko girl covered her eyes.

`I'm going home after this.'

"Rin-chan, that's not a nice word to say, especially for a little girl. It really means someone who was abandoned by their father."

Inuyasha scowled.

"Yeah, like that suzaku wench."

Konaosu kept the smile on her face not allowing her demeanor to change in the slightest. It was hard to control the whirl of emotions that that comment had raised. Konaosu could feel the gazes of all who were gathered leveled in her direction, especially Kagura's. `I will not make the mistake of revealing myself to this wench!' Konaosu stared straight at Inuyasha, and sighed.

"I'm afraid that there won't be any treats for you. I guess the spoils will just have to go to your brother."

Kagura glared icily at Konaosu, a matching look came from Inuyasha.

"You shall lose this battle and become the newest to dance under my control."

Rin let out a little squeal as Miroku wrapped the violet sash part of his robe around the little girl.

"What are you doing? That tickles Rin!"

Miroku smiled at the little girl, this child was much easier to handle than some others he had run into.

"Well, you must keep yourself clothed at night. Otherwise you'll get sick Rin."

Rin looked over at Konaosu and frowned to herself, hugging Konaosu's leg.

"Nao-kaa-san? You're going to win right? The scary wind lady isn't going to take Rin's okaa-san right?"

(A/N: OK, OK, OK, everyone, get it outta your system.. 1..2..3… AWWWWW!! OK, now back to the story.)

Inuyasha's yell made even Kagome's ears ring.

"HER WHAT?!"

Miroku was surprised as well.

"I must have missed something."

Sango and Kagome were speechless with shock, as was Shippou.

Sesshoumaru felt the beginnings of what would more than likely turn out to be a serious migraine coming. Kagura looked absolutely livid at the term Rin used.

"Do you mean to tell me that the great taiyoukai, has taken a hanyou for a mate?!"

Konaosu eyes narrowed. `I do believe that I cannot allow this wind youkai the privilege of insulting milord.'

"What the great taiyoukai does is none of your concern."

Konaosu looked down at Rin.

"Do not worry Rin-chan, I will not leave you, and I will not lose, I promise."

"That is what you think! FUUJIN NO MAI!" (Dance of the Wind Blades)

The elemental blades sped forth from Kagura's fan heading straight for Konaosu and Rin.

Before the blades could even get to a dangerously close range, a blast of brilliant blue light dissolved the blades and left a slight crevice in the ground. Sesshoumaru stood, Toukijin in hand.

"Kagura, do not resort to using Naraku's own trickery in order to start a battle. Konaosu, don your armor and accept your challenge."

The next comment was for her ears only.

"After the battle, you and this Sesshoumaru are due for a talk."

Konaosu inclined her head before walking around the spring to the other side. Her eyes had darkened a shade in color as she donned her haori, hakama, and armor. She pulled up all of her hair and tied it in a bun before turning and beckoning Rin.

"Rin-chan."

The little half kimono half long haori Miroku had made was sliding down the little girl's shoulders.

"Hai, Nao-kaa-san?"

A barely visible twitch was evident in Kagura's eye.

"Come here onegai."

Rin scampered quickly past Kagura, the memory of her last encounter in her mind as she reached Konaosu and looked up at her with big brown eyes.

"Hai?"

Konaosu kneeled down holding a silver sickle shaped talon with a dark crimson stone in the center of the talon. The talon was suspended on the braided gold and crimson tail feathers of a suzaku. Miroku's eyes widened considerably.

"If I am not mistaken, that is a chino tama inside of that talon. Whoever created that sacred jewel certainly enforces their protection over them."

"Rin-chan, I wish for you to wear this as I battle."

Rin looked concerned as she let Konaosu put it around her neck, the necklace was heavy for the little girl but, she bore it well.

"Why is Nao-kaa-san giving Rin this? Nao-kaa-san is coming back right??"

Kagura's eye twitched at each "Nao-kaa-san". `If I hear those words again, the child will die as well.'

"Do not fret, I gave you my promise and a suzaku does not break a promise! I need you to wear this while I fight, it is a great honor in my clan, and there is no one else who is worthy to carry it for me. Besides, I must make this a fair fight. Now go to Sesshoumaru-sama, Rin-chan."

The soothing talk did not much to relieve the anxiety the little girl felt but, Rin obeyed, plodding over to Sesshoumaru before stopping and running back to throw her arms around Konaosu's legs.

"Nao-kaa-san has to come back. Rin needs her okaa-san. Don't let the scary wind lady hurt you!"

The little girl hugged her fiercely once more and ran to Sesshoumaru's side, where she peeked out from behind his legs.

"Rin believes in her okaa-san!"

(A/N: And the award for the cutest little girl is… *opens envelope* RIN! Shi: Well that's obvious. Yoake: Well… nah! *sticks tongue out* *Shi grabs Yoake's tongue* Shi: Back to the story! Yoake: OWA!! LE O A EE! (Translations: OW! Leggo of me!) )

Sesshoumaru watched as the hanyou woman began to walk towards her opponent, his voice was low enough so that only those with youkai blood could hear, that included Kagura.

"Be on your guard, Naraku's messengers tend to fight like bandits, taking the easiest and often dirtiest way out of a situation. Do not fail."

The next comment was for Konaosu's ears only.

"Prove to this Sesshoumaru you are indeed unlike that dimwitted fool."

"Again, I am overwhelmed by your concern milord, you need not worry though this will be over soon enough."

Konaosu smirked as she added another comment for her taiyoukai's ears.

"I will prove myself unlike your brother if you do the same."

She turned to Kagura.

"Are you ready? This is the only time for you to change your mind."

Kagura opened her fan with a loud snap, her eyes were narrowed, more was at stake than merely her information gathering.

"I believe you stole the words from my own mouth. I have killed lesser full blooded youkai than yourself, you shall prove to be no different."

Konaosu's eyes took on a deadly tinge.

"That may be but, I do not believe that any of the youkai you refer to were a suzaku. Even a half blooded one is too much for you to handle."

Konaosu's eyes changed as the words left her lips, and the others were privy to a sight not commonly seen. Within her eyes, the flames that burned inside a suzaku youkai's soul were visible. The blade at her side glowed scarlet before erupting into the long flame covered blade that was called Seishi Hino.

Kagura's own eyes glowed from the hidden challenge that was strung between the two of them.

"Then let us see who's power is greater, your holy flame or my demonic wind."

Inuyasha, whose mind was very much like a child's, was not happy at being ignored and left out of the fight.

"Dammit wen-."

Sesshoumaru carefully but not so nicely, jabbed the tip of Toukijin into Inuyasha's back.

"Leave the women to their battles. Now, let us see if you are worthy of Tetsusaiga."

As far as distractions went, that was a pretty damn good one for Inuyasha. Kagome watched as Inuyasha immediately swung at his brother.

"Well, at least he's fighting, that way he can't complain."

Sango looked over at her, an eyebrow raised.

"And you're serious about that Kagome-chan? This is Sesshoumaru we're talking about."

Kagome sighed.

"That's true…I guess we lose either way."

Their attention returned back to the battle concerning Konaosu and Kagura.

Kagura held her fan out to the right, gathering her wind magic into her fan as she locked her gaze with Konaosu's, this time, the hanyou would die. With her dead, there would be no crimp in her plans to kill Naraku with Sesshoumaru as a main tool.

"Kakoshinasai* hanyou! FUUJIN NO MAI!" (Dance of the Wind Blades)

Konaosu's eyes narrowed. `This again, very well…' Konaosu darted forward.

"EIEN HI NO KEN HANASU!!!" (Eternal Flame of the Sword Separate)

Konaosu threw the second blade directly at Kagura, darting back as it flew from her hands. Konaosu watched the wind blades grow closer. She knew that she could dodge some but not all.

Kagura gave a short laugh as she easily dodged the flaming blade that threatened to impale her to the trees behind her. As retaliation, she sent another volley of wind at her foe.

"FUUJIN NO MAI! (Dance of the Wind Blades)

"Did you think you could impale me? Inuyasha has more finesse than you, at least that fool didn't throw away his blade."

(A/N: Oooo, Sesshy told her not to do that again, ooo she's in trouble!!! Shi: *slaps Yoake in the head and drags her off* Quit it, we're in the middle of a fight here.)

Konaosu smiled.

"SEISHI HINO!" (Flame of Life and Death)

A line of fire burst from the blade in Konaosu's hands shooting through the wind witch's own attack. Kagura was struck by the fire as Konaosu was assaulted by the remains of the wind blades. The angry flames from Konaosu's attack raced up from under Kagura's right breast and ended just before the wind sorceress' cheek. The flames instantly cauterized the wound but still, a painful gash that ran deep.

`She will payfor that!'

Konaosu bit her tongue as three of Kagura's wind blades hit their mark. She retained a slash across her left cheek, and the right side of her throat, causing blood to spill down her fair skin. The most painful by far was the blade that had lodged itself into her left lower thigh. `It is time for you to pay!' She immediately rebounded towards Kagura, ignoring the pain in her leg.

"SUZAKU NO MEGUMI!" (Phoenix's Blessing)

Kagura braced herself for the oncoming flame attack and sent forth more of her wind blades, `After this, I will have her head!'

"FUUJIN NO MAI!" (Dance of the Wind Blades)

The fight was merely a warm up on Sesshoumaru's part, if you could even call it such, so the pesky hanyou brat had picked up a new trick or two, nothing that would tip the scales in his favor. Inuyasha was still no match for him. Sesshoumaru had just delivered a particularly painful blow to Inuyasha's stomach when the scent of Konaosu's blood reached his nose.

`So that battle has grown in intensity while my own does nothing. Perhaps this Sesshoumaru should have taken care of Kagura. Though Kagura herself is placing a struggle as well.'

"Take that ya bastard!"

Once again it seemed he would have to teach the brat a lesson, the hanyou gloated about breaking his armor when he was being hit repeatedly in the stomach and chest.

`This whelp is developing an annoying habit.'

"You have succeeded once again in breaking my armor, I commend your skills, you have, after all, done the same thing battle after battle."

Inuyasha growled angrily at his half brother and lunged after him but, seeing the oncoming wave of flames dodged, and performed an admirable roll out of the flame's path. Sesshoumaru also dodged the wall of flame that shot for him, his eyes narrowed.

`If I was not certain she was attacking Kagura, I would assume she did that on purpose.'

Inuyasha, however, did not take it so quietly. He yelled and pointed the Tetsusaiga towards Konaosu's battle.

"HEY WENCH! KEEP YOUR ATTACKS IN YOUR BATTLE! AH SCREW IT, I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO FUCKING DESTROY HER!"

Konaosu glanced sharply behind her, still keeping Kagura in her sights. Her breath coming a little more labored than before.

"Be silent, this does not concern you, pup."

Inuyasha did not take that lightly.

"Who you callin a pup bitch?! I'm older than you!"

"In age only. Now keep yourself out of the concerns of others. If I needed your help, which wouldn't be likely, I would ask for it."

Inuyasha scowled angrily at the woman.

"Baka onna! You're too damn stubborn to know when you need help! I'd have already sent Kagura home with her tail between her legs!"

Kagura had a comment about that one.

"Not without the help of your dear miko."

Kagome rolled her eyes.

`That's right, drag me into it.'

"Only because Inuyasha would have no other way to fight you."

"What the hell does THAT mean Kagome?!"

Kagura smirked.

"She calls you weak."

Kagome glared at Kagura and really wished she could fire an arrow at her but, she was really tired at the moment, and she didn't wish to interfere in Konaosu's battle.

"No, I meant to say that he needs my help only because you cheat."

"I do no such thing."

Inuyasha raised the Tetsusaiga, aiming it at Kagura and preparing to unleash his Kaze no Kizu (Wound of the Wind) at the sorceress. He charged forward towards Kagura.

"You won't escape this time bitch!"

"KAZE NO KIZU!" (Wound of the Wind)

"FUUJIN NO MAI!" (Dance of the Wind Blades)

Kagome sat up a little on Kirara's back, worry immediately filled her face as the wind blades cancelled out Inuyasha's attack.

"INUYASHA!"

The blades cut into Inuyasha's attack and tore it to literal shreds of power that flew harmlessly by the wind user. However, the hanyou brat was relentless in his attack and continued charging towards Kagura. Konaosu was done with such foolishness.

"ENOUGH!! EIEN HI NO KEN HANASU! SEISHI HINO!" (Eternal Flame of the Sword Separate! Flame of Life and Death!)

Konaosu flung her two blades, one to each side and caused a circle of fire to erupt around Kagura and herself.

"That will put an end to your interference, pup!"

Inuyasha had almost made what might have been his death comment before Sesshoumaru hit the idiot in the back with the flat of his blade.

"Do not turn your back on your opponent, Inuyasha."

"You're gonna fuckin die for that one!"

Kagura smirked at Konaosu, her fan opening to gather even more power.

"Your death is at hand, hanyou. Throwing away both of your blades was an error on your part. Before you only held a taste of what I could do, now, face the full extent of my power!"

"RYUUJIN NO MAI!!!" (Dance of the Dragon Cyclones)

Konaosu closed her eyes ignoring Kagura a moment. She had a plan but whether it would work was another matter. She thought back to her training so long ago, doubt creeping through her mind. `No, I cannot fail, I must succeed. I promised Rin.' She opened her eyes and spread her hands before her.

"You have forgotten the first rule of engagement, never underestimate your opponent. You would be a great disappointment to Lord Sesshoumaru."

"TAMASHIINO HI NO TE!" (Soul's Inferno)

A fire erupted from inside the suzaku woman causing the fires surrounding them to flare to new heights. The flames turned into a large fiery phoenix that swooped down on to Kagura, flaming talons and beak outstretched and reaching for the wind sorceress. Along the flight of the phoenix, the wind based attack was absorbed by the flames and fueled its power. The phoenix attacked Kagura head on, encasing the sorceress in a massive torrent of flame. While Kagura attempted to fend off the flames as best she was able to, the circle of fire began to rise, soon it would enclose Konaosu and Kagura in a dome of pure fire.

"Who is the fool now?"

Konaosu moved her outstretched arms towards her two blades calling the fire inward.

Kagura gasped, the pain was almost as bad as Naraku's own tortures, she noticed the hole above her growing smaller due to the rising flames. `So the bitch seeks to trap me in her own element does she? I do not think so!' She removed one of the feathers that had not been charred by the flames and threw it below her, the giant feather carrying her above the flames. Looking down on her now sworn enemy, Kagura glared at her furiously.

"Listen well hanyou, this is not over yet."

With those last words, the wind sorceress fled the scene. Flying back to report to Naraku.

`It's not over by far. Naraku will either use her or destroy her, so long as the wench dies, it does not matter to me how. We'll meet again suzaku, you can count on it!'

Konaosu watched as the wind sorceress fled, her vision growing cloudy, she had released too much of her soul's flame. `Just a little longer…' But the wind witch escaped her trap. Konaosu dropped her arms as Kagura retreated farther into the sky. The flames swooped downward loosing there momentum and absorbing back into Konaosu with enough force to bring her to her knees.

Kagome watched the flames rise and swore she had seen something attack Kagura but, she wasn't fully sure. Sliding off Kirara's back, Kagome raced over towards Konaosu, Rin had the exact same thought as well and ran as fast as her little legs could carry her.

"Konaosu-san!"

"Nao-kaa-san!!"

Kagome reached the suzaku hanyou first and knelt beside her, she had grabbed her first aid kit and a pen light. She shone the tiny light into the young woman's eyes, from what she had seen, that might have taken a mental toll on her.

"Konaosu-san, I need you to follow the light with your eyes, try not to move your head. I'm um…checking to see if you have a concussion."

Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru weren't really visible in the darkness but, the occasional flash of a weapon or energy attack illuminated where they were. Inuyasha was the one who had heard Kagome's question.

"Like you'd be able to tell anyways…DAMMIT SESSHOUMARU!"

A soft thud echoed softly in the area, Kagome winced, `That had to hurt.'

Konaosu gently raised her hand averting Kagome's light away from her eyes.

"I am fine, I look worse than I am."

Inwardly Konaosu knew that she had extended herself beyond her limits, but nothing that Kagome had would alleviate that, only rest. She turned her head in the direction of the two brothers.

"I have upheld my part, but I see that you have made no improvement. Are you finished with your pointless battle?"

Her voice came out more drained than she would have liked.

Inuyasha's reply was lost in the sudden crack of a near by tree falling. Kagome stood up and sighed, it was really late, according to the watch she had on, it was almost midnight and she was exhausted. And an exhausted Kagome meant some serious pain if a certain hanyou didn't get his act together.

"Inuyasha, I know you and Sesshoumaru would just love to kill each other off right now but, it's going to have to wait. Konaosu-san is wounded from her battle and needs rest, not the sound of the two of you scrapping."

No answer came, only the sound of what could have been a curse directed at either Kagome or Sesshoumaru. Kagome's eye twitched.

"Boys, I tell you what…good for nothing…"

She took a deep breath and raised her voice so that Inuyasha couldn't mistake not hearing her.

"Inuyasha…."

While she waited a few moments for his reply, she began to look over the sluggishly bleeding wounds Konaosu had on her.

"I'm afraid this might sting a little, lucky for you none of these require stitches."

Kagome rummaged around in her first aid and came out with a bottle of something and a large roll of bandages. She smiled at Konaosu gently.

"I hope you react better than Inuyasha did when I used this on him."

Konaosu glanced warily at the girl. `I think it is time for my taiyoukai to finish whether he likes it or not.'

"Just a moment Kagome-chan."

Konaosu stood shakily despite the outcries from Rin and Kagome and slowly trudged over to her blade. She picked up the blade, it responded to her touch, and flared up, flames licking it's length. Konaosu used her youkai sight to pinpoint the wayward brothers. Despite her exhaustion a smirk lit her face as she threw her blade directly in between the two. A wall of flames erupted obediently.

Of course Inuyasha's yell was predictable. Kagome mouthed the words as they were yelled.

"WHAT THE HELL?!"

Sesshoumaru sent a glare over in Konaosu's direction.

"I, Sesshoumaru am aware your fight is over. You will be patient. Have Inuyasha's wench tend to your wounds while I finish this."

"LIKE HELL YOU'LL FINISH IT!"

Sango and Shippou had relaxed against Kirara's laying body and were sleeping peacefully. Well, Sango was at least, until a certain houshi found her sleeping.

Miroku smiled as he watched Sango sleep, `She has not had many restful nights. Hm? My hand…' As expected, his hand reached out and gently massaged a place where he really shouldn't have even gone.

:WHAP:

Rin watched wide eyed as Kagome winced and looked back towards where the giant cat was now looking.

"What was that?"

Kagome sighed and shook her head.

"Miroku getting what karma gives him….poor Sango-chan."

Konaosu shook her head before returning her attention back to her taiyoukai.

"Forgive me, milord, but I felt it necessary to return the favor Inuyasha had given me earlier. I will leave you now to continue this futile and pointless battle."

Konaosu turned back to Kagome and Rin.

"Let us move away from this foolishness."

Kagome nodded in agreement before sighing and picking up her first aid supplies. After Konaosu led them to a quieter area, Kagome assisted the girl in laying back down.

"This will sting, I'm sorry but, I think you'll handle it better than Inuyasha ever did."

Sesshoumaru had no time for this foolishness from either of the hanyou. The lesser of the two evils would be to beat the hell out of his brother and allow his brother's wench to treat Konaosu. And no, he had not missed the woman's comments either. He silently wished that whatever the wench was giving to Konaosu would hurt more than she said it would, just as a little harmless amusement in his case.

"Your wench's healing skills are painful I hear."

Inuyasha scowled and hit Sesshoumaru's armor once again.

"She ain't a wench! She's my Tama detector."

Kagome had her own comments, muttered under her breath of course.

"Tama detector am I? I'll show you detector after I you-know-what you into the ground. I'll be a body detector after that."

The young woman shook her head and smiled again.

"Well, the leg wound looks the deepest so, I'll start there…do you want something to hold on to?"

(A/N: THAT'S NOT comforting)

Konaosu smiled slightly. She was sure that whatever was about to befall her would indeed be painful, but she had suffered tremendous pain before. She absently touched the side that held her never healing mark. This could not be worse than that.

"Just continue your healing."

Rin watched Kagome take out a square piece of cloth and douse it thoroughly with something that smelled really weird.

"What's that stuff? Rin thinks it smells weird."

Kagome smiled sympathetically at Konaosu, she treated her own wounds with this and it was the best way to divert infection.

"It's a special herb blend that drives away the evil spirits from the wounds so they don't go bad and make you sick."

"Oh."

Kagome took a deep breath and set the soaked rag on the open gash on Konaosu's leg and held it there, knowing that she'd probably be flung off.

The two brothers stopped when a bitter scent reached their noses. Inuyasha's ears flattened against his skull as a shudder went through his body. Sesshoumaru frowned, that wasn't poisonous right?

"Hanyou, what is that scent?"

"Some crap Kagome brought from home, it stings like hell but drives away infection. I dunno if its worth it though. Even you'd yell if she poured that shit on you."

"…….it is painful when applied then?"

"Sungenmutsuku*"

"Interesting."

Konaosu inhaled a sharp breath and clenched her hands. `A new herbal blend…hmph…' Konaosu felt her eyes water and a few tears escaped. `It is not worse but it is pretty close! Perhaps I should ask Kagome-chan if I can borrow this "blend"…'

Sungenmutsuku: "You have nooooooooo idea"

Kakoshinasai: "Prepare Yourself"

Well, that's our chapter. ENJOY!