InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's Never Too Late ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

I am sorry for taking so log to update. I've been so busy lately. I've also been stumped for a while on all my stories.
 
Disclaimer: I am not the owner of Inuyasha. That is in fact the property of Rumiko Takahashi.
Chapter 20
 
 
Sounds of laughter and excitement could be heard through out the Yoyogi Koen Park. However as I walked through the park, the last thing I wanted to do was laugh. It had been three days since the dinner, the visit from Rin, and the sudden reappearance of Naraku. If that wasn't enough to put me in a cheerful mood, I had just come back from the hospital where Hojou was staying…
 
I'm afraid that things are not looking so well for your companion. It seems that he has suffered a concussion to the head as well as several facial bruises and broken bones. It might take some time to recover.
 
Just looking at him brought about a heavy wave of guilty feelings that I had not been able to push back. Somehow, I've managed to keep a façade of happiness when I'm on campus or out with friends. I just hoped that the doctors turn out to be wrong and Hojou would get better. I knew that when the time of Hojou's full recovery arrived, things would be different between us. I did not forget what he almost did that night in the alley but he still did not deserve to end up the way he did.
 
I was walking out of the park when I noticed a blue limo waiting at the entrance. Of course, I could care less about something like that but, it looked familiar but I couldn't remember when I had seen such a vehicle.
 
Just as I came closer, the door of the limo opened and an old man with an expressionless look on his face stepped out. It didn't take me long to recognize the man that was staring at me with a look of determination.
 
“Grandfather? I spoke with uncertainty which was not surprising. I hadn't seen my maternal grandfather since he dragged me out of the park one day about 16 years from the time.
 
“Kagome…it's been a long time.”
 
We stood there in silence for a couple of moments but I felt like hours were rapidly passing by. He finally motioned me to follow him into the car but I was hesitant at first. I just found it odd that after all these years that his interest in me will suddenly quicken. Despite my doubts that hovered in my mind, I ended going into that limo.
 
The ride was somewhat eerie because no one was saying anything but that was going change real soon.
 
“Kagome dear,” started my grandfather, “how has life been treating you?”
 
Terribly, was what I wanted to answer but I decided against it and gave him a positive answer instead. Somehow I felt that I might regret this whole thing.
 
“Life had been good to me, grandfather,” I promptly replied.
 
“Has it? He answered as he took out a cigar and a lighter.
 
I didn't answer him. I was too busy planning how to open the window for air.
 
“I hear that you got married recently.”
 
“Yes…I did.”
 
“I also hear that he is not exactly what you can identify as a human being.”
 
Oh no, I thought. I should have never gotten into this car.
 
“Well…”
 
“Well? You married a half monstrous creature. What on earth were you parents thinking? Excuse me for saying so Kagome dear, but your parents are quite empty-headed when it comes to matters such as this.”
 
“I serious think,” I said as my temper rose, that you should say things like that in fact-”
 
“The fact is Kagome dear. Your life is ruined because of the thing you have married. Don't come crying to me.” He paused to see the growing anger in my eyes and he just away and scoffed.
 
“That anger…you so much like your mother. Young, foolish and full of love for such disgusting vermin.”
 
“Stop the car,” I said in a firm voice.
 
“Not yet, Kagome dear. Did you ever wonder why I stopped speaking to your mother all those years ago?”
 
“I don't know, grandfather. Maybe because you a rude arrogant man who is so single minded that he hurts those who are supposed to be close to him?
 
“I forbade that woman to marry that father of yours since I was aware of those was working with. She refused and claimed she was in love and that there was nothing I could do. However she was wrong. When she married that heathen, I cut her off from everything including inheritance and ties.”
 
“Well that didn't work and I need to go. It was a pleasure seeing again, Grandfather.”
 
Without another word, he signaled the driver to slow down and stop. The driver ended up stopping in front of a bus stop and I wasted no time stepping out of that limo and walking off. But I ended up stopping to ask my estranged grandfather the one question that had started to irritate me.
 
“Just one question, how did you find out about all this?
 
“I am not inclined to reveal my sources to you at this moment. But the answer to your questions is closer than you think. Goodbye, my foolish granddaughter.”
 
I watched his limo drive off until it was just a blue spot in the distance. What did he mean when he said that the answer is closer than I think? Who could have told him? My mother doesn't even talk to him anymore and he doesn't read social magazines so how…
 
The sound of loud crash brought my thoughts to a sudden halt. The source of the sound turned out to be a metal garbage can that was a few feet away. What took me by surprise was that a little boy in rags crawled out of the fallen can. He was quite a child; huge blue eye tinged with sadness with a big fluffy tail which told me immediately that he was not human. I couldn't help feeling sorry for the little guy and I called out to him.
“Hey, there.”
 
He turned and looked at me suspiciously; he probably wasn't used to people talking to him.
 
“I'm not going to hurt you,” I continued but I didn't get the chance to finish what I had wanted to say. The boy had quickly disappeared from sight.
 
***
“I just don't know why he ran off like that?” that question rested in my mind for a long while. I had taken the bus shortly after the encounter and had walked home the rest of the way. I wished that I had brought that kid here so he can have a decent meal rather than eating people's trash, I thought as I reached for my key.
 
Before I could get the keys out, the door swung open, and my husband appeared with an angry look on his face.
 
“Where the hell have you been? You just leave and don't tell people where the fuck you're going! I've been starving my ass of since you left!” He said this to me while he had a huge drumstick in his hand.”
 
“Inuyasha, I had to think about some things and…I saw this poor little kid who was looking for food-”
 
Like me. Remember?” he said bit irritated.
 
“Anyway,” I continued, ignoring his rudeness, “If you had met him maybe you'll-”
 
I couldn't finish me sentence due to the sudden appearance of a brown fuzzy ball that quickly attacked Inuyasha. The ball turned out to be none other that the little boy from before who was now attacking my husband for the drumstick.
“What the fuck is this?” my husband shouted as the little boy kept clawing him to get to the tasty object in his hand. After some failed attempts, the boy open his mouth wide and bit Inuyasha's hand as hard as he could. The last attempted proved true as Inuyasha cursed loudly and discarded the drumstick to tend to his wound. Happiness lit up the boy's eyes, as he started to feast on his newly acquired meal but it was soon to be short lived.
 
“Why you little piece of shit!” Inuyasha shouted as he targeted the boy eating what belonged to him. The little boy stuck his tongue at him and started to run off, with the drumstick tuck safely in between his teeth.
 
I sighed as the pair ran around the house, knocking down objects as they went. If anyone had happened to walk by at that exact moment, they would have seen quite a show: A supposed grown up hanyou chasing and cursing around the house, a small youkai child with a drumstick. So much for first impressions.
 
 
Well, I decided to bring the Grandfather from chapter three back for the main reason being that he eventually plays a big role in the story. This chapter is also about first impressions. Soon, I will end Kagome's Point of view and either me or Inuyasha will tell the story. In due time, the two of them will meet, since I have already provided a reason for them to. Thank you all for the feedback and for your patience. I'm glad that there are those who like to read this story. Well Happy belated Thanksgiving! I'm all cooked out and the shopping isn't done yet but still…That's enough for now.
 
Later Days!