InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ It's Never Too Late ❯ Chapter 19: Dinner with Some Surprises ( Chapter 20 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hello it's me again with a new chapter. Sorry for the long update. Deadlines for papers have hurt me a great deal.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha.
 
Chapter 19: Dinner with Some Surprises
 
 
Three weeks later, the phone rang early in the morning, causing me to wake up. Groggily, I went to answer the phone only to find out that the person on the other line was my mother in law.
 
“Good Morning, Kagome. Did I call you at a bad time?”
 
She must have heard my yawn. I quickly told her no.
 
“Good. Well I know this is a little last minute but we will be coming over for diner tonight.
 
“Oh…What?”
 
“Your family will be coming too.”
 
“What?”
 
“Well I'm glad that you're taking this sudden news well. We'll be at the house at 7:30 prompt. Have a good day, dear.”
 
She shortly dropped the phone but I was still standing there staring at the receiver with disbelief.
 
When I came to myself, I quickly rushed to find Inuyasha. He was still sleeping but we were in a middle of an emergency/ I knocked on the yelled for him to get up but he didn't respond. I had a feeling that he heard me but he was just trying to ignore me. Well, I thought, I'll show him.
 
I went to a nearby closet and pulled out two items. My grandfather had given me them to me before I left as a wedding present. It was for driving out evil spirits, or so he said. I prepared myself before walking back to Inuyasha's room. I opened the door and…
 
Bam!
 
The sound of the old gong caused him to jump out of bed instantly. He was wide awake then. He glared at me as he rubbed his poor ears.
 
“Inuyasha, get up. This is important. I'm sorry that I hurt your ears but this is important. Our parents are coming over…tonight!
 
That got his attention because he started to mutter some curses under his breath. I didn't stay to listen; I had a lot of work to do.
 
After some last minute preparations, we were finally ready for our parents' visit. I remember being relieved when our cook arrived that day. She was able to prepare the food that we needed for the dinner. Well, our parents finally arrived at the place. Inuyasha was not pleased to see his brother show up. As for his brother, he just ignored Inuyasha as if he wasn't even there. Soon, we were all gather around at the table, eating and talking random things. However, I was about to get another shock from my parents that night but I don't think I was so surprised when I heard it.
 
“Inuyasha, Kagome,” my father-in-law began, “we congratulate you on your first month and 2 weeks of marriage.”
 
I forced a smile on my face and looked around the table and noticed the suspicious looks Inuyasha was giving his father.
 
“Before we celebrate this joyous occasion, I need to make this announcement. Just recently, Higurashi and I came across some new information that was important for you two to hear since the news is mostly for you.”
 
He paused to glare at Inuyasha who was paying little attention to what was being said.
 
“As it turns out, “he continued, “there were other parts of the will that our subordinates were not able to find.”
 
This is bad, I thought to myself as my father-in-law cleared his throat and glared at his sons. He shouldn't have worried about Inuyasha though. He was all ears.
 
He took out a sheet of paper from the table and proceeded to read its contents.
 
“I read. After the said couple has performed the marital rites, there shall be two instances that shall come to pass: One year after the marriage date, the wedded must conceive or give birth to a living, legitimate offspring or they shall forever be cut off.”
 
I slid in my seat in shame. Why was my life being dictated from a voice in the grave? I wanted to go back in time and strangle my great- grandfather for writing this. I took a peek at the man who was my husband. I couldn't see his face since his bang formed a small shield over his eyes. I already knew that he was boiling inside and that he would be ready to lash out at anytime. And he did.
 
“What the fuck is all this shit? I married that bitch but that wasn't enough for the dead bastard? There's no way in hell I'm touching this woman!”
 
“What do you mean by that? How can you say that and still get mad when other people touch and”
 
“So he really did it, he said angrily as he kicked his chair aside, “I aint doing this so screw all of you. I'm outta here.”
 
He didn't get far before Sesshoumaru blocked his way out. He tried to punch his brother in the jaw but Sesshoumaru easily caught his arm in one hand and gave a big blow in the gut with the other. “Learn your place, you pathetic fool,” he said before letting his brother fall to the floor in pain. Then he left without another word and everyone else soon followed.
 
After they left, I went to get the first aid kit and looked for Inuyasha. I found him lying on the couch in the living room with an unreadable expression on his face. He didn't move an inch when I knelt down beside him with the kit in my hands. As I carefully lift the shirt I noticed that it was damaged but I also saw that Inuyasha's wound was serious. I waited no time taking care of the wound and surprisingly Inuyasha remained silent and stared at me during the whole ordeal. I had no idea what was going through his mind but I wished I did.
 
I was just about to put the kit away when I heard the doorbell ring. I wasted no time to answer it only to find Rin standing at the door. She looked so sad and weary that I offered her to come inside. She refused and insisted on staying outside.
 
“It's okay, Rin. The Yamotos and my parents have left. It's no big deal.”
She looked at me blankly for at bit before shaking her head.
 
“I can't stay for too long, Kagome. I have something I need to do.”
 
“Oh, I see.”
 
“Anyway, that's not why I'm here. I have something to tell you.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“It's Hojou.”
 
I felt something ominous in the air.
 
“Is he…alright?”
 
“You need to see him Kagome. Someone found him lying unconscious in an alley. He's in a coma right now. The doctors think he has a small chance of survival because of his injuries. He might not make it.”
 
Might not make it? I was speechless. One of my worst fears of that night was coming true at that very moment. I looked around, just trying to figure out what to do. Then I saw something that made me gasp. Rin looked at me with concern and asked me what was wrong. I couldn't answer her so she quietly told me good night and left. It took me a couple of minutes to get inside the house.
 
Inuyasha was standing behind me when I came inside. He must have heard everything but I wasn't going to tell him anything at that moment. I walked past him and went up the stairs to the bathroom. Once I entered, I took off my clothes and turned on the shower.
 
No matter how hard I scrubbed, I could not erase the memories of that night nor could I erase the new memory that was newly forming in my mind. The memory of Naraku's eyes staring back at me sadistically across the street.
 
 
That's it for now. I don't know if I did a good job on this chapter but I tried. I'll edit it in the future. I seem to be having a lot of stalking in this story and for some reason I like it. Sesshoumaru is mad. You'll find out why in a few chapters. I let Hojou live for reasons known only to myself. Naraku does play a key role in this story and he is such a great antagonist. At least I think so. Thanks for all of your patience and of course thank you for reading and responding.
 
 
Later Days!