InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jealousy In The Air ❯ The New Girl ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Jealousy In The Air

Summary: A plain and unpopular girl soon begins to be accepted into the in-crowd. The popular guy she longed to be with finally notices her, but things aren't always the way it seems to be……… Inu/Kag

A/N: Sorry about the mess up. There is no such thing as Veterans Day in Japan……… I guess my mind kinda slipped. OK……… the next thing I'm going to say is IMPORTANT. Well, kinda. Everyone's not going to recognize Kagome because of the glasses and the way she dresses, but they do know that she's been getting skinnier.

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 5: The new girl

It seemed like she had been staring into his eyes for five minutes before she heard him mumble a quick apology. Before she knew it, he was out of her sight.

Kagome sighed. I just blew off a chance to talk to him, she thought. When I have a chance to talk to him, I blow it off by staring at him like an idiot……… but I can't help it. He's so adorable.

~*~*~*~*~

Inu yasha pulled Miroku along with him as he walked down the hall. Just a while ago, he had been talking to Miroku, when all of sudden, a certain girl had walked through the school entrance. He'd never seen her before, which made him stare at her. He usually recognized most of the people at school, whether they were popular or `low-classed.'

Inu yasha had watched every move she made, as she walked gracefully down the hall, as if she owned the world. Miroku suddenly started making kissy noises.

Inu yasha raised his eyebrows. "You are so pathetic. I am NOT falling for her……… but seriously, do you know who she is? I've never seen her before………"

"No clue. She must be new," Miroku said. Then he started off talking about his football career as Inu yasha continued to watch every little move that girl made.

She had walked right pass him when Miroku had become irritated that he shoved Inu yasha so that he'd pay attention. Unfortunately, Inu yasha was caught by surprise, and then smacked right into that `chick'. When she turned around to glare at him, his mind started to wonder. He recognized that face, but he just couldn't place it.

He quickly mumbled, "sorry," then turned to grab Miroku.

"What the hell is your problem?" Inu yasha snapped at Miroku.

Miroku looked as if he had just heard the stupidest question anyone could ever ask. "I was talking to you, you jerk. But all you could do is stare at that cutie." He glanced behind him with a low whistle. "Now, come to think of it, she is hot!"

Inu yasha snickered. "You player."

"I am not. I just said she was good-looking. It's not like I'm going to do anything to her."

"Whatever."

Inu yasha and Miroku walked through their homeroom and took their seats next to each other. Inu yasha glanced back in the room to check what time it was, when something caught his eyes.

The same girl he had bumped into was right there in the back corner of the room, where Kagome usually sat. She was talking to someone he couldn't identify. As the person turned around, he saw that it was Sango.

I'd better ask Sango who that is, Inu yasha thought. Where's Kagome anyway?

Even thought they barely talked to each other anymore, he still worried about her. Now that he thought back to his freshman year, he despised himself for how he had acted towards Kagome. He knew that Kagome must think that he's a hot-tempered, arrogant jerk. Now, he was afraid to face her and afraid to show his true feelings. (It's not like he likes her more than a friend.)

Damn it, he thought. Where is she? Another couple of minutes passed and she still wasn't there. She usually was one of the first people to get to class. Before he could think twice, he leaped out of his chair and fled out the door. That was only the fifth time he skipped a class. Who cares, he thought. Anyways, he forgot to do his homework and math was one of the most boring classes. Some peace and quiet will do him some good before next class.

*~*~*~*~*

A movement near the door caught her eyes. She watched as Inu yasha disappeared out the door and as the teacher appeared a few minutes later. Kagome sighed. Typical. That was just like Inu yasha to skip a class. Her thoughts started to drift off into wonderland as Mrs. Kaede started taking roll.

Kagome sat happily in her chair. She was so happy that she couldn't wipe the big grin off her.

Just a while ago, she'd been talking to Sango about how all her help had changed her so much. Many people didn't recognize her, and the few who did complimented her. Guys all around started talking about `the new babe' in school, but soon found out that it was Kagome Higurashi. Now that she was skinny and pretty, guys started paying a lot more attention towards her. She enjoyed the attention, but she didn't like them for liking her just because of her looks.

Kagome sighed.

*~*~*~Lunch~*~*~*

Sango whipped her head around when she heard someone call out to her in the school cafeteria. It was Inu yasha.

She saw Inu yasha motion her over to where he was sitting. What does he need from me? she thought. She was about to ignore him and just take off to the cheerleader's table when she realized something. Hmm……… maybe I could dig some information out of him about Kagome. She was still really curious about what had happened between the two of them.

Sango willingly dragged herself towards his table. As she got closer, she saw that he looked pissed.

"Hey……… so what's up?" Sango asked, unsure of herself.

"Just answer me. Who was that girl you were talking to in homeroom?"

"Uh……… you don't know?" Sango asked, surprised.

"Do I know? What kind of stupid question is that? If I knew, I wouldn't be asking that, would I?" Inu yasha said impatiently. "Geez, are you going to tell me or………"

"Kagome."

Inu yasha raised his eyebrows. "What about her? I didn't ask you about her."

"Kagome," Sango repeated. "That person I was talking to was Kagome. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have better things to do than talking to you." As she walked away, she thought she heard him mutter angrily about searching for someone all morning. Whatever.

Sango stopped in her track when she heard a big commotion at the entrance to the cafeteria. She glanced that way and saw a bunch of guys crowded there. Gee, she thought, who could it be?

She tried to push her way through and when she finally did, she saw……………… Kagome?

It wasn't until it strike her that Kagome looked so much like Kikyo. Other than the length of their hair, they were almost identical. Of course, their personalities were pretty different. I bet Kikyo's going to be jealous of all the attention Kagome's getting. Sango laughed at that thought. Kikyo never seemed to be jealous of anyone. That was probably because she was supposedly the most popular and pretty girl in the entire school.

She couldn't believe it. The only difference between today's Kagome and last Friday's Kagome were the contacts and the clothing. Before today, she always wore baggy clothes and her thick glasses. It was like Kagome had turned into an instant celebrity.

Sango stared at the girl stuck in the middle of the small crowd. Sango smirked. She looked so helpless there, trying to get through. It wasn't so great being center of attention was it?

By Friday, things were getting out-of-control. Everywhere Sango went, she heard Kagome's name mentioned.

"……… I know, isn't she hot?"

"She used to be this big geek………"

"A BABE! Who knew she was such a cutie behind all that junk?"

Sango sighed and shook her head. People were so dense nowadays. All they cared about were looks. She was glad when she had made it clear to the other guys that she had no interest in any of them, and that if they messed with her, they'd be in for it big time. EVERYONE knew that she was with Miroku. Of course, Miroku didn't mind the attention he got from other girls.

When she saw Kikyo on Wednesday's cheerleading practice, Kikyo looked mad. She had gone through two days of continuous talk about her `twin.' Now, everyone seemed to be comparing them; which one was prettiest, which one had the best body, and which one of them was the one liked by most guys. Kikyo felt humiliated because the one person who used to be the school `pick-on' is now competing with her.

As Sango walked into homeroom, the only class she had Kagome had together, she saw a cluster of students around Kagome's desk again. She felt annoyed. Oh, well, she thought, the crowd's thinning out already. Most people went back to their business and left Kagome alone, but a few were just too impressed with the new her.

One particular guy looked so pathetic, begging Kagome to go out with him.

"Kagome," he said. "Please don't break my heart and go out on a date with me. Let my heart be yours." He looked up at Kagome from his bent position and gave her a puppy-dog face. Kagome looked as if she was about to die from embarrassment.

Just as she opened her mouth to answer, the bell rang. Saved by the bell, Kagome thought, relieved. Their teacher walked in as Kagome gave the boy a shrug in response. Mrs. Kaede tried to quiet everyone down.

As Sango was watched everything, she didn't realize that Miroku had been fooling around. She turned back around to talk to him, when all of a sudden, she realized that there were so many girls around their table. (A/N: they sit next to each other………just case u haven't realized yet.)

Sango narrowed her eyes, as she watched Miroku and the giggly girls perform some kind of drama. They didn't even seem to realize that the bell had rung.

"Oh, Miroku," a girl, Akira, said with a giggle. She stood behind Miroku and slid her arms down, around his waist.

Sango glowered at Miroku right when he turned her way. She tapped her foot, trying to control her anger. Two-timer.

Miroku, slowly reached down and removed the arms holding tightly against his body.

"As if I can't see that," Sango snapped. "But that's besides the point."

Miroku looked hopelessly confused that Sango had to point it out to him. She pointed towards the clock.

Just then, he realized that the class was unusually silent. He looked around the classroom and found every pair of eyes in the room on him and the girls surrounding his desk. He sat in satisfaction. There was nothing unusual. There were just people watching him. All the attention was on him yet again. "You jerk," Sango muttered.

The look of confusion crossed his face again. He saw that everyone seemed to know what was wrong with the whole picture, except for him. "Sit," said a grouchy voice. People surrounded around his desk quickly shuffled away, to their own desks. Ms. Kaede appeared and he soon realized that the bell had rung.

"Akira," she said, turning towards Akira. "Your little performance isn't necessary during this time. And you too, Miroku. If you must know, the bell rang about 10 minutes ago."

"Uh……… YES Ma'am!" Miroku said.

Sango continued to glare at him. Miroku put a `what did I do?' innocent look. "You make me sick," she muttered. Just a while ago, this week, they'd been through this. Now, they were going through it again? Ugh……… I knew this relationship wasn't ever going to work out………

*~*~*~*~*

Miroku put his arm casually around Sango's shoulder as they walked out the school entrance. "I knew I was too good for you to resist." Sango had started to act more normal compared to how she had acted in homeroom.

"Oh, please. It wasn't you, believe me."

"Really……… then what? Do you need something?" Miroku peered at her suspiciously.

"Oh, nothing much, really." Sango fidgeted. It didn't seem right for her to ask about Inu yasha's childhood, but she couldn't help it. "Okay, so you met Inu yasha when you were……….wait. When did you guys meet?"

"In middle school."

"Yeah, yeah. Anyway, since you knew him that long, you should know what, uh, happened between him and Kagome right?"

"So this whole thing is about that?" Miroku questioned.

"Uh……… yeah. What else what it be about?"

Miroku looked at her, with laughter in his eyes. "Nothing, nothing. It's just that I thought you wanted to ask me permission for you to come over and do `something' at my house. That's all."

Sango whacked his across the head. "THIS IS SERIOUS! Now answer me!"

"Okay, okay. Well, yeah, I guess I know what happened." Sango waited and stared at him. "What are you looking at me for? I just answered your question!"

"You know what I meant, so answer properly!"

"Jeez, calm down, would you? Ok, let me think. Well, just so you know, nothing actually happened between them. Inu yasha and Kagome were best friends ever since they were in first grade, and then onto middle school, when I met them. I didn't know Kagome that well because we never had any classes together. I became, well, you could say, a second best friend of Inu yasha. A guy best friend. Then, Kagome grew fatter and fatter everyday and we entered high school. The end." Miroku finished off simply.

"Don't you dare insult Kagome like that! Don't you even have a little sympathy for her? You are so cold-hearted!" Sango snapped. "ALSO, I didn't ask for you little story of your past. I asked for what happened between the two of them; how they became `un-best' friends."

"Oh, oh. That. Well………" he trailed off.

*~*~*~*~*

A/N: I finally update this chapter! Yay!!!!