InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jealousy In The Air ❯ The Popular Crowd ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Jealousy In The Air

Summary: A plain and unpopular girl soon begins to be accepted into the in-crowd. The popular guy she longed to be with finally notices her, but things aren't always the way it seems to be……… Inu/Kag

A/N: Sorry for making u ppl think that Inu yasha and Kagome's past is a big deal………. because let me tell u, it's not. It's just one of those popularity thing, u kno? Well, hope u enjoy this chapter! There's lots of new characters, though. It may be kinda confusing.

*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 6: The Popular Crowd

Sango continued to walk alongside of Miroku. She stopped and turned to him, when he didn't answer. "Well?"

Miroku stopped shortly after she did. "Uh……… actually, I don't really know," he said with a shrug.

"WHAT?" Sango exclaimed.

"What. It's not like I know everything that goes on in Inu yasha's life. Anyway, it's probably just one of those popularity things. You know how people can't resist being popular, hanging out with the cool people, like me," Miroku said casually.

Sango rolled her eyes and sighed. "Is that all?"

"Yeah, I guess. Well, if you want the details, you should probably be talking to Inu yasha or Kagome about it instead of me." Miroku stared at her, "Why'd you ask me anyway?"

Sango looked at him like she was looking at an innocent 5 year-old child. "Are you that clueless?"

"Well, I'm being honest if that's what you meant. I don't know why."

"Never mind."

*~*~*~*~*

Kagome fidgeted with the phone cord as she listened to Sango chatter on the phone. It was 1:00 in the afternoon on Saturday.

"-so do you want to?" Sango asked.

"Sure!" Kagome said excitedly. It has been a while since Kagome went to the movies with some friends. Now, she was going with one of the most popular girl at school. "So is it just going to be us or are there other people going?"

Sango laughed. "No, silly! There's going to be A LOT more of us coming along. There are my two best friends, Meia and Kamira. Don't worry, I'll introduce you to them. Then, there's Rika, Mizuki, and Ami. There's also Miroku's friends; Kouga, Inu yasha, Tatsuya, and Hojo."

Kagome's forehead wrinkled as she tried to remember everyone's names and recall how they looked like. She recognized most of the girls from the cheerleading squad, but she didn't know any of the guys she mentioned except for Inu yasha and Miroku. I wonder what'll happen when we see each other, Kagome thought. She shook her head and tried to get Inu yasha out of her mind.

"Um……… ok."

"You'll get all the names down before you know it," Sango said, as if reading her mind. "Sorry this was kind of a last-minute thing."

"It's okay," Kagome replied. "You know I have nothing better to do. Thanks for inviting me!"

"No problem! Anyway, meet us at the theater at 3:30 today in the afternoon. It means there's only about two and a half hour until then. Then, after the movie, we'll go get something to eat……… Oh yeah! If it's okay with your parents, we're going to go to Kikyo's house afterwards. She's throwing a party tonight and she invited us to go."

"I'm sure it's all right if I go, but I'm not so sure I want to………" Kagome could almost see the puzzled expression on Sango's face.

"It's not that I don't want to, it's you know, Kikyo," Kagome tried explaining.

"Oh! Yeah……… Well, of course, you don't have to go, but I'm sure it's going to be fun anyway. If you change your mind, you can always still come," Sango suggested.

"Okay, thanks!" Kagome agreed.

"Sure." There was a little pause, then Sango said, "I have to go, Kagome. My mom needs the phone. I'll see you at 3:30, okay?"

"Yeah, bye!" Kagome hung up after she heard Sango hang up.

Kagome unzipped her backpack that she had left on the ground next to her desk and took out her binder. "Yippee, homework time," she muttered sarcastically.

Several minutes later, she heard someone pass by her door. "Mom?"

Her mom appeared at the doorway. "Yes?"

"Uh, I just want to let you know that I'm going to be going to the movies later with my friend."

"Okay. I'm really glad that you're making new friends very soon, especially on the last year of your high school, but will you please ask me sooner next time? You never know what I might have planned."

Kagome raised her eyebrows. "It's not like we ever go anywhere during the weekends."

"Yes, yes, but you never know," her mom insisted.

"Okay, whatever."

"And," Kagome said, "it might last until after our usual dinnertime. We're also going to get something to eat afterwards."

"Just call me if there are going to be any delays," her mom said as she walked away.

*~*~*~*~*

"Kagome! Over here," Sango called out. Kagome tucked her hair behind her ears and glanced over to the front of the theater. She had finally chosen to wear a small pink T-shirt with white crisp shorts after half an hour of deciding. She wanted to look good. She was nervous about meeting all of Sango's friends, especially Inu yasha.

Kagome walked over to where Sango was. She was surrounded by a couple of her friends and a few guys. There were quite a few people. Oh, great, Kagome thought. The good thing was that they were all busy talking to one another, that they didn't really notice her. "Uh……… hi," she greeted Sango. A couple of Sango's friends stood closely behind her.

"Hey!" Sango said, giving her a big smile. "Glad you could make it! Um, so we're still waiting for a couple of other people to arrive. Anyway, this is Meia and Kamira."

"Hi." Kagome recognized them from the day she had bumped into Sango and from the cheerleading squad. Meia had wavy brown hair, while Kamira had really long, raven-black hair, the same color as Kagome's.

Meia greeted her back and Kamira smiled.

"What movie are we watching again?" Kagome asked.

"Uh, it's the scary movie one. I think it was called The Ring or something like that. I heard it was pretty good. So, are you still not going to Kikyo's party?" Sango asked.

"Yes," Kagome said instantly. Anything that had to do with Kikyo was none of her business. "Anyway, I don't think I'd really be welcomed there," she muttered to herself.

"Huh?"

"Oh! Nothing."

"So, why aren't you going, Kagome?" Meia asked.

Kagome, startled by her question, racked her brain for something to say. She didn't want to say anything bad about Kikyo, just in case they were friends with her.

Before she could say anything, Sango broke in. "Don't worry, Kagome, none of us here likes Kikyo." She turned to her two best friends and explained. "You know, some of those problems that most people have with Kikyo. Picked on before."

Meia nodded. "Yeah, she's an a$shole."

Kamira laughed. "You know, you should still go. You can still have some fun, even if Kikyo's there. Most likely, you won't even see her. She has this really huge mansion and she usually invites the whole school there. It's going to be fun!"

Kagome still looked hesitant. "Kamira can `protect' you," Meia said with a giggle. "Her fighting skills."

"YEAH!" Kamira agreed.

"Anyway, if Kikyo bothers you, there's always us," Sango said. "You can stay with us the whole time."

"Uh, thanks, guys, but I'll think about it." Kagome said.

"Okay, your choice," Meia said with a friendly smile. Then, together with Kamira, they walked off to greet another girl who just arrived. Now, they were waiting for a guy named Tatsuya to arrive.

Kagome appreciated what Meia and Kamira were doing and felt especially happy that she was starting to make new friends. They both turned out to be just like Sango. Most of the people Sango hung out with were just like her, so she didn't think she'd have a problem with getting along with these people. But then, Kikyo's crew was going to be at the party. That would be a completely different story.

When Kagome turned around to study the rest of the people, her eyes instantly fell onto Inu yasha. He was talking to Miroku and another girl. The girl stared intently at Inu yasha, whether he was talking or not. She'd giggle at everything he said and playfully punch him in the shoulder. She was flirting with him.

"Don't worry, he's still all yours," Sango said, making Kagome jump. She'd forgotten that she was still there.

Kagome licked her lips nervously. "Uh………"

"Rika's always like that. She flirts with every good looking guy around," Sango said. "She's already with Kouga. You know how they are. Even thought they're together, they flirt with other people." She patted Kagome's shoulder and teased, "It's okay to like him."

"Um……… ok. Is this how you find out who everyone likes? Sneaking up on them?"

Sango widened her eyes and said dramatically. "I'm insulted! How could you think I'd do something like that?"

Kagome rolled her eyes. "Really………"

"Yes, really………………… Hey, Tatsuya!" A tall, descent-looking guy was seen from a distance.

"Hey, isn't he on the basketball team?" Kagome asked Sango, recognizing him.

Sango turned to her direction and nodded. "He's always the last one to arrive. He has this problem with being late."

"I heard that," Tatsuya said coming up behind her and hitting her on the head lightly with his fist. He glanced at Kagome and asked, "You're Kagome, aren't you? Sango told us that you'd be joining us today. Nice to meet you!"

"You too," Kagome said, smiling. They talked for a few minutes and got to know each other better. After a while, Kagome asked, "Shouldn't we be going now? When does the movie start?"

Sango glanced at her watch. "There's still lots of time……… 15 minutes. We always like getting here earlier. Let's go in now and get some junk food to eat during the movie."

"Sure."

After a while, all twelve of them entered the theater door; Kagome, Sango, Kamira, Meia, Ami, Rika, Mizuki, Miroku, Inu yasha, Kouga, Hojo, and Tatsuya.

"Actually, let's go get good seats first," Sango suggested. "And if any of you want food, you can get it later on." Everyone agreed.

Kagome tagged along behind everyone else. She watched as couples formed, so that they'd sit next to each other; Tatsuya and Mizuki, Kouga and Rika, Sango and Miroku.

Sango paused before she walked off with Miroku. "You don't mind, do you?"

Kagome forced herself to smile. "No. It's okay."

There were still many empty seats that had pretty good views. They found some together right in the middle of the theater, except it was separated into two rows. They decided to sit six one row and six the other. The three couples grabbed the front seats, as the others took the ones behind. (Kagome, Kamira, Meia, Ami, Inu yasha, and Hojo are the ones left.)

Kagome followed the group as Kamira and Meia led the way to the other row. The order that they sat ended up being Kamira, Meia, Kagome, Hojo, Inu yasha, then Ami. Kagome had been really close to be sitting next to Inu yasha, but then Hojo had suddenly appeared out of nowhere and squeezed in between them.

Oh, well, Kagome thought. It would have been really awkward around him anyway.

During the movie, Kagome tried to keep her eyes opened. She wanted to watch all the scenes, but it crept her out as well. At certain times, she accidentally grabbed at her right side, where Hojo was sitting. It was one of the things she always did when she got scared. When she realized what she was doing, she blushed and quickly let go.

The good thing was that Hojo didn't seem to mind. He was comfortable with it. Maybe a little too comfortable. (A/N: I'm not saying he's a pervert or w/e ur thinking pplz……… He's supposed to like Kagome, you know?)

*~*~*~*~*

"So, what did you think of the movie?" Sango asked Kagome as they shuffled into Jamba Juice. (A/N: I know, I know, there's no such thing as Jamba Juice there, but oh well……… actually, I don't know if they have it or not. -_- Anyway………) Tatsuya, Mizuki, Meia, and Kamira had decided to go get some pizza, while Sango, Kagome, Ami, Rika, Kouga, Miroku, Inu yasha, and Hojo went to Jamba Juice. They would all meet up later on at Kikyo's party.

Kagome thought. "Well, I guess it was okay. The plot was okay, though I thought The Sixth Sense was better."

"You didn't mention how scary you thought it was yet," Hojo said with a laugh.

Kagome blushed slightly. "Oh, yeah, sorry for grabbing you……… Anyway, we have to go put some tables together," she said, changing the subject. She took a peek at Inu yasha. She was glad that he came along, but he was acting really quiet.

After they added a couple of chairs, Kagome and Sango volunteered to get the drinks. "Okay, so it's three orders of Peach Pleasure, two Strawberry Tsunami, one Kiwi Berry Burner, one Aloha Pineapple, and one Strawberry Wild?" Kagome asked making sure.

When Kagome walked back to the table where all their other friends were seated, she instantly saw that there were two empty seats left; one next to Inu yasha and one next to Miroku.

Sango seemed to realize that at the same time because she stared at Kagome for a while, to see which seat she was going to choose. When Sango realized that Kagome was going to back out and sit in the chair next to Miroku, she quickly dashed up and set the drinks in her hands down in front of her.

She sat down and glanced up at Kagome. Kagome narrowed her eyes at her, bent down so that only Sango could hear her, and whispered fiercely, "What are you doing?"

Sango looked up sweetly at her and said, "Nothing, I just wanted to sit next to my boyfriend, you know? Second of all, you wouldn't want him groping you would you?" She then looked away triumphantly and passed out all the smoothies. At the same time, Miroku was talking crap about how she couldn't resist him as usual.

"You did that on purpose," Kagome said in a low voice and then sat down, obediently.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Inu yasha stare at them and then look away quickly.

"So," Sango said brightly. "NOW have you decided if you're going to go to Kikyo's party?"

"No, just stop asking me that question, I think you already asked me that 3 times," Kagome answered stubbornly, like she had all other times.

"Whatever……………… Inu yasha!" Sango said, getting his attention.

"What are you doing?!" Kagome whispered to her.

Sango just smiled……………… an evil smile. "You know Kagome, don't you? Help me convince Kagome to go to Kikyo's party." Inu yasha stared at her, but Sango just kept on going. "Tell her that the party won't be any fun if she doesn't go. I can't convince her to go, so you try convincing her."

Kagome's eyes widened in disbelief.

*~*~*~*~*

A/N: Done, done, done!!!! Yay! I kinda skipped out on the introductions, but it's really boring you know? Oh yea… I forgot to say that the rest of this story is up at Fanfiction.net just search under the pen name S2animeluverS2