InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of my Heart ❯ Betrothed ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The characters of Inuyasha, Kagome, Naraku, Kaede and Seeshomaru are borrowed from Inuyasha, A Feudal Fairy Tale, by the incomparable Rumiko Takahashi.
Summary: Kagome inherits the Shikon Jewel, but circumstances lead her mother to offer Kagome's hand in marriage to the highest bidder. The Lord of the West, a powerful demon, seeks her hand for his eldest son, Sesshomaru. Naraku, a powerful and wealthy prince, seeks her hand for himself. But when Lady Higurashi accepts Sesshomaru for Kagome, trouble ensues, and Kagome finds herself facing the prospect of an alternate suitor: Inuyasha.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Chapter 1: Betrothed
Kagome knew when her grandmother died, because the crescent shaped birthmark on her stomach began to burn and she was suddenly aware of the Shikon Jewel resting in its padded case in her grandmother's room. The Shikon Jewel was her inheritance because of her birthmark. Only the daughters of her family born with the red, crescent shaped birthmark on their stomachs had the gift to awaken the Jewel's power. Her grandmother had been the last, and now it was Kagome's turn. Kagome wished it weren't so, or that her mother had been born with the mark, but that was not the case. Kagome was the only daughter of the family who possessed the birthmark when her grandmother died, so the Shikon Jewel became hers.
At her grandmother's funeral, Kagome held the Jewel in its case, feeling the deep throb of its power. Her grandmother had never used the Jewel's power. All while Kagome was growing up, her grandmother had repeatedly told her that the Jewel was dangerous and it was better to let its power slumber. Holding it, Kagome was certain her grandmother had been right.
After the funeral, Kagome took the Shikon Jewel back to her own room and put it on the little pedestal in the corner where she had once kept a vase of fresh flowers.
“Well, this is a great responsibility, Kagome.” Her mother stood in the doorway of Kagome's room with her arms crossed.
“Yes, I know,” Kagome replied quietly. She knelt down carefully and smoothed her kimono over her folded knees. “I hope I can do as well as Grandmother.”
“Perhaps.” Lady Higurashi came into the room and knelt facing Kagome. “We are an important family because of the Shikon Jewel, Kagome. Many noble families have come to us for advice because they believed the sacred Jewel gave your grandmother the power to know the future.”
Kagome blinked in surprise. “But she never used its power.”
“I know that, but your grandmother was a very wise woman and her advice was always sound. No one knew that she was speaking from her own knowledge and experience. Now that you are Mistress of the Shikon Jewel, people will come to you for the same advice. Are you prepared to utilize the Jewel to provide the answers they seek?”
Kagome paled. “Grandmother said I must never awaken the Jewel's power!”
Lady Higurashi nodded. “So I thought you would say. We cannot allow anyone to learn that your grandmother was not using the Jewel. We would lose our influence and place in society.” Lady Higurashi smoothed her already pristine kimono. “I have given this matter much thought since your grandmother's passing, and I have decided that the safest thing for our family is for you to marry and take the Jewel to another family. It will cost us some influence, but less I think than if your grandmother's secret were discovered. Plus, I can ask a very hefty price for you, enough to position us very comfortably in society for years to come. Who is to say the Shikon Jewel will not come back to us through a child of your brother Souta?” She smiled at Kagome. “I think this will be the best for everyone in the long run.”
Kagome stared at her mother. Did she really mean to marry Kagome off? How could she even consider it? Kagome struggled for something to say, but no words came to her. She was just too shocked. Her mother leaned forward and patted her hand.
“I know this is a shock to you, my dear,” Lady Higurashi said, “but I know that once you have had time to think about it, you'll realize that this is what is best for the family.” Lady Higurashi rose. “I will have letters sent to all the finest families in the next few days to see what sort of offers they will make. Don't be troubled, Kagome. I will only consider men of the very highest quality.”
Kagome just stared as her mother left. Married? But I am only sixteen! Kagome thought. I am too young! Aren't I?
Letters were sent two days later to eleven families. Within three months, replies were received from all of them. Five declined outright, while four others made offers that Lady Higurashi deemed insulting. The remaining two she considered with great seriousness. One was from a wealthy prince named Naraku, who owned a fine castle and many serfs far to the south.
The other was from a family that sent a shiver of fear down Kagome's spine.
The Lord of the West was a demon of great power. In his letter, he expressed the desire to wed Kagome to his eldest son, Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru was a demon, like his father. He was reputed to be incredibly handsome, but cold as the winter snow.
“Mother,” Kagome said tremulously, “did you not say you would consider only the finest gentlemen?”
“I did,” Lady Higurashi replied.
“But Lord Sesshomaru is a demon! Should not my future husband at least be human?”
“It is not strictly required,” Lady Higurashi said, with slight impatience in her tone. “The Lord of the West himself took a human woman as his last wife. I believe they bore a child together.”
Kagome could not suppress a shudder.
“In any case,” Lady Higurashi continued, “what the Demon Lord offers for you is too good to pass by. Not only gold, but land.” Her mother smoothed out a map on the floor in front of her and pointed. “See this here? All this land from the edge of this forest to the river will become ours when you are wed to the Lord's son, including the serfs which toil upon it.” She smiled with satisfaction. “This much land will give us great wealth and influence. Prince Naraku offers more gold, but the land will serve us better in the long run.” She folded the map and tucked it inside her kimono. “I shall write to the Demon Lord at once and tell him we accept.”
Kagome bowed her head in silence. There was nothing she could say.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
The betrothal banquet Lady Higurashi planned was incredibly lavish. Although they were far less wealthy than the groom-to-be's family, she did not want it to look that way. So she decorated the banquet hall with the finest teak furniture and silk hangings. Woven rugs covered the floor and goose-down cushions softened every seat. The very finest delicacies were to be served on the most expensive bone china.
Kagome herself was adorned in several lengths of intricately embroidered yellow silk, her hair woven with ribbons and strings of pearls. She would wear a bone white lace veil over her head when she was first presented to her future husband.
As she waited behind a screen outside the banquet hall, Kagome listened with trepidation as her mother extolled her virtues to the Lord of the West. It was all true, of course, but Kagome felt strange hearing herself described as a virtuous maiden, skilled in embroidery and the lyre, as if these features summed up all she was.
The Demon Lord of the West was handsome, but far less fear-inspiring than Kagome would have expected. She had the feeling that she would like him, were they meeting under other circumstances. Except for his pointed ears and clawed hands, he didn't even look like a demon.
She was not sure what she felt about Lord Sesshomaru. He was even more handsome than she had expected, but his eyes were cold.
There were a dozen or so people among the family and retainers who had accompanied the Lord of the West. Lady Higurashi seated them according to rank at the long, low banquet table, facing the screen where Kagome waited. When everyone was settled comfortably, Lady Higurashi gestured to Kagome.
Nervously, Kagome covered her face with her veil and slid back the screen. She bowed low to the floor, with her hands in front of her.
“Come forward, child,” the Demon Lord said. His voice was deep and resonant.
Kagome rose and walked forward to the near side of the table. She knelt down and bowed again.
“What a lovely creature,” the Demon Lord said. “Don't you think so, Sesshomaru?”
“I suppose she is attractive, for a human,” Sesshomaru replied with faint disinterest.
Kagome straightened up. Without a word, she proceeded to pour the tea and offer it to her future husband. He accepted it silently, but instead of sipping the tea, he set the cup down.
“Father, I would prefer not to do this.”
Lady Higurashi's surprised gasp sounding like a hiss.
“We already discussed this, Sesshomaru,” the Demon Lord replied sharply.
“But my feelings are unchanged. I have no desire to wed a human.”
He spoke of feelings, but in that moment, Kagome would have sworn that he had none. His face did not change expression at all. He did not look unhappy or angry or even bored. He was simply not interested. Kagome felt heat rising in her cheeks and knew a blush was creeping across her face. But at the same time, she felt a tremendous relief. Sesshomaru did not want to marry her!
“Honored Lord,” Lady Higurashi exclaimed, “what is the meaning of this?!”
The Demon Lord turned to her and bowed his head slightly. “If you will forgive me, my lady, I need to have a moment alone with my son.” He rose gracefully. Sesshomaru stood also. The two of them retreated to the far side of the room and spoke quietly. It was impossible to judge from their expressions the nature of their conversation. At length, the Lord of the West returned.
“Lady Higurashi, I owe you an apology. I had believed my previous arguments had persuaded my son of the value of this match, but I was mistaken.”
Lady Higurashi sat back on her heels, anger and dismay plain on her face. “Do you mean to withdraw your offer, Honored Lord?”
“No, Lady, I do not. I have another son, whom I believe will not defy me in such a dishonorable way. I do not mean to change the terms of our agreement in any way, except to offer my younger son in the place of my elder. Is this acceptable?”
Lady Higurashi bowed her head. “Yes, Honored Lord, that is acceptable,” she said with a relieved tone.
Kagome looked from one to the other in dismay. For a brief moment, she had thought herself free, but it was not to be. She knew almost nothing about the Demon Lord's younger son, except that his mother had been a human woman. She was glad she had the veil covering her face, so no one could see the tears in her eyes.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Inuyasha was surprised when the betrothal party returned from the Higurashi residence after only three days. It meant they could not have stayed for more than a day, once travel time was included. He had elected to remain behind this time, since it was only a betrothal. He figured that his own presence was not necessary until the wedding itself. But such a short trip implied that something had gone wrong, and he found himself wondering if he should have gone along after all. When his father sent for him the morning after their return, Inuyasha hurried to his father's chamber without delay.
Inuyasha loved his father dearly, and above everything, he craved his father's approval and respect. Although his father never said or did anything to imply he loved Inuyasha any less than his full-demon son, Sesshomaru, Inuyasha always felt faintly inadequate because of his human blood. Sesshomaru's cold and sophisticated beauty always seemed to be something above and beyond Inuyasha's volatile temperament.
Upon entering his father's room, Inuyasha found his father standing in front of the open window, his hands clasped behind his back.
“You wished to speak to me, Father?”
“Yes, Inuyasha.” He turned around and smiled. “I suppose you have guessed that all did not go as planned at the betrothal.”
“It seems like you returned too quickly.”
His father nodded. “Sesshomaru declined the match.”
“What?!”
“It seems his disinterest in marriage outweighs my intentions, in his opinion.”
“But how can you let him just… just… say no?!” Inuyasha exclaimed. He was dumbfounded. Defying his father was such a foreign idea to him, he had trouble understanding it.
“Your brother and I frequently do not see eye to eye on matters, but until now, he has always acceded to my will. This time, however, he has chosen to make his own decision. It is unfortunate, but I have decided not to argue the point. But that is why I wanted to speak to you. I have decided that you should take his place.”
“T-take his place?” Inuyasha was confused. “What do you mean?”
“I have decided to uphold my agreement with Lady Higurashi, with the one modification being to substitute you for Sesshomaru. You will marry Kagome Higurashi.”
Inuyasha just stared.
His father smiled slightly. “I had intended this lesson for your brother, but in some ways, I think you will benefit more. I realize this comes as something of a shock, but I believe one day you will thank me for it.”
Inuyasha stared in complete silence for the space of a dozen heartbeats before he realized his mouth was hanging open.
“Married?!” he rasped out finally. He's kidding, right?
“Kagome is a fine young woman,” his father said calmly. “She is well brought up and will be a good wife. Plus, she is now Mistress of the Shikon Jewel, an extremely powerful artifact. I have reasons at this time for wishing to control the Jewel's destiny, which means controlling Kagome.”
Inuyasha felt like the victim of a cruel practical joke. As a child, he had always tagged along after Sesshomaru, eager to win his brother's affection. Only recently had he come to realize that Sesshomaru was probably incapable of feeling affection. And now his brother's cold and unfeeling nature had set Inuyasha's destiny for him.
He swallowed his shock and growing anger with an effort, and bowed low to his father. “I am honored by your trust in me, Father.”
“Thank you, Inuyasha. We will return to the Higurashi residence in ten days for the wedding. Lady Higurashi went to great expense for the betrothal banquet and I did not want to put her though the additional expense and embarrassment of hosting another one. You will meet Kagome the day before the wedding.”
“Yes, Father.” Inuyasha spoke without looking up. So, he would get to meet his future wife the day before she became his wife. He straightened up slowly to find that his father had turned back to the window. Inuyasha wondered what lesson his fathered intended for him to learn from this marriage. It was difficult to imagine what could possibly be learned from being forced to marry a stranger. Inuyasha had never expected to marry at all. Half-demons found little acceptance among humans or demons. He did not want to think about what a human woman would likely think of him. Without another word, he left his father's room.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
The Demon Lord of the West returned with his younger son, Inuyasha, and a host of family and retainers, the day before the wedding was to take place. Although the Demon Lord had insisted that it was unnecessary to host another betrothal banquet, Lady Higurashi felt that propriety still called for some kind of formal meeting of the betrothed couple. So she arranged a pre-wedding banquet that was almost as elaborate as the betrothal banquet had been.
“The expense doesn't matter,” she told Kagome privately. “The price we are receiving for you makes it but a drop in the river.”
Kagome only nodded in response. She did not talk much at all lately, because it seemed whenever she did, she found tears in her eyes. All the familiar patterns of her life would disappear and she would become part of another family, subject to the will of a man she had never met.
Her mother decided that, even though she had already been seen in it, Kagome should wear the same kimono she wore for the betrothal.
“It might seem like bad luck,” Lady Higurashi said, “but yellow suits you. And perhaps it was good luck that led to this change in groom.”
Kagome doubted that, but as usual, she said nothing.
When the wedding party arrived, Lady Higurashi had Kagome wait in her room. She would be presented to Inuyasha at the beginning of the banquet that evening.
“You will have the whole evening to get acquainted,” her mother told her. “And afterward, you and I will discuss your new duties and what will be expected of you as a wife.”
That was the first time it occurred to Kagome that she would be expected to share Inuyasha's bed.
Kagome could not look up when her mother finally led her into the banquet hall that evening. She could tell the room was full of people, even though they hushed when she entered. Her veil hid the look of panic that she knew was on her face as she walked half the length of the room to the center of the banquet table. Because she wasn't looking, her mother had to stop her when they had gone far enough. Kagome turned, sank to her knees and bowed with her hands folded in front of her waist.
“Lord Inuyasha,” Lady Higurashi said, “I present my daughter, Kagome.”
Kagome straightened up and saw Inuyasha for the first time. She could see at once the resemblance between him and his father. He was quite handsome, with thick silver hair that hung past his waist. For some reason, the triangular silver ears with light pink interiors that stood up from his mane of hair accentuated his attractiveness, rather than making him appear odd.
Without speaking, Kagome poured the tea and offered him the cup. He accepted it carefully, so his claws would not scratch her as he took the delicate cup, and lifted it to his lips. He sipped once and handed the cup back. Kagome took the cup and, holding the veil away from her face, took a sip. She set the cup down and her mother lifted the veil off her head completely, revealing her face to Inuyasha. She saw his eyes widen slightly as he regarded her, but he gave no other sign of his reaction.
It was hard to eat, but Kagome made sure she sampled everything she offered to Inuyasha. He accepted whatever she offered without comment. In fact, neither of them spoke that entire evening. So much for becoming acquainted, Kagome thought.
Kagome's day started early the morning of the wedding. She was bathed and her hair washed in warm water scented with rose petals and jasmine. Her hair was combed smooth and woven into elaborate waves that were cleverly fixed in place with jeweled combs such that, when the time came, her hair would come down easily just by removing the combs. Then she was wrapped slowly and carefully in layer upon layer of heavy silk richly embroidered in patterns promoting fertility and good fortune. This was followed by prayers, alone and with her family, before the wedding ceremony itself began.
Kagome had rehearsed the ceremony enough times that she could go through the motions without thinking about them, which was just as well. As she made her vows of obedience and faithfulness, she could almost feel them winding around her like the lengths of her wedding kimono, binding her to Inuyasha.
The wedding was attended by more people than Kagome had ever seen in her life. In fact, it seemed like more people than she thought could exist in the world. The wedding banquet was interminable, because all of those people had to bless the happy couple with a personal greeting.
But eventually, it was time for the newlyweds to leave the banquet and Kagome's heart began to race. Her mother had spent three full days preparing the bridal chamber for their wedding night. Silk hangings adorned the walls and ceilings, giving the room a soft, romantic look. Tall vases stood in each corner, with long sprays of brightly colored flowers filling the room with a sweet scent. A wide mat lay near the far wall, with a quilted silk coverlet folded neatly at the foot and silk covered bolsters resting at the head.
Inuyasha led the way as they entered the bridal chamber. “We may as well get this over with,” he said flatly.
He untied the sash of his robe and dropped it on the floor. As he took off his ceremonial embroidered silk wedding kimono, he turned to look at Kagome.
“I hope someone told you what to expect tonight,” he said.
Kagome flushed and nodded. “M-my mother told me,” she answered in a small voice.
“Good,” he replied. “I don't want to have to teach you everything.” He dropped his kimono on the floor and started to remove his shirt. “I can send for a maid to help you undress, if you want.”
Kagome's blush deepened. Her mother had been very stern on this point. “I would like you to help me,” she said, “if you don't mind.”
Inuyasha shrugged. “All right.” He dropped his shirt as he approached her. His torso and arms were beautifully muscular. His smooth, taut skin accentuated his movements as he walked around behind her and began to undo her obi.
As the obi came loose, Kagome caught it and pulled it forward. She folded it neatly before setting it on the floor. Inuyasha walked toward the mat, undoing the sash to his trousers. Kagome quickly turned around, too embarrassed to watch him undress completely. She removed all the layers of her embroidered wedding kimono, folding and stacking it neatly. Then she pulled the combs out of her hair, letting the dark waves spill down around her shoulders. Only then did she turn around, wearing only her shift, a sleeveless silk under-dress that hung just to the middle of her thighs.
Inuyasha was lying on his back on the mat with his arms crossed behind his head and his ankles crossed. The coverlet was draped casually across his midsection.
Kagome knelt at the edge of the mat and bowed. “Inuyasha,” she said, “I will do my best to be a good wife to you and I will try hard to please you as we become better acquainted.”
Inuyasha rolled onto his side and propped his head up on one hand. “I want you to understand something, Kagome,” he said. “I never wanted to be married. I won't mistreat you, but I don't want to spend any more time with you than I have to. Is that acquainted enough for you?”
Kagome closed her eyes and nodded slowly. “Yes, my husband,” she whispered. Then she drew her shift off over her head and slipped under the coverlet beside him.