InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jewel of my Heart ❯ Newlyweds ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Newlyweds
Early the next morning, Kagome departed with Inuyasha and his family for her new home. She rode in a covered wagon with the other female members of the family. Important male family members rode in a separate wagon, while the retainers walked.
Inuyasha also walked. He trotted along beside the wagons in his bare feet. In fact, now that Kagome thought about it, Inuyasha had been barefoot this whole time. But she couldn't see him now, because the sides of the wagon had been rolled down to keep out the dust. Of course, this made the air inside the wagon rather close. Kagome would have preferred the fresh air, despite the dust, and she found herself wishing she dared ask if she might walk beside her husband.
But she didn't ask, because she suspected such a request would be met with disapproval. The occupants inside the wagon were divided into two very distinct groups. All of the older, married women sat close to the front of the wagon, talking serenely amongst themselves and occasionally casting superior glances at Kagome.. The young maidens sat near the back, whispering to each other and staring curiously at Kagome. Kagome sat in the middle, not part of either group, with the Shikon Jewel resting in her lap. Its case felt heavy, as if it somehow disapproved of this change of residence. Kagome stifled a sigh.
One of the maidens moved next to Kagome. “Hello, my name is Shirame,” she said. “My mother was a cousin to Inuyasha's mother.”
“Hello,” Kagome inclined her head politely.
“Is that the Shikon Jewel?” Shirame asked. She pointed at the case in Kagome's lap.
Kagome nodded.
“Oh, that's so exciting! But I won't ask to see it, because I've already been told that I mustn't.” Shirame giggled. “You must be so proud!”
“Of what?” Kagome asked with some confusion.
“Well, being Mistress of the Shikon Jewel makes you so important. I'm not important at all. We only live at the castle of the Lord of the West because he let's us, out of fondness for his late wife, everyone says.” Shirame giggled again. “Of course, other people think we're crazy to want to live with demons, but not even half of the people living at the castle are demons. And the Demon Lord himself is such a gentleman anyway. I'd rather live there than in some dumpy village.”
“I am looking forward to seeing the castle,” Kagome said carefully. “It must be very beautiful.”
“Oh, it is!” Shirame said. “The gardens are probably the most beautiful in the world. I just love it there. So will you! You'll see.”
Kagome chewed on her lip for a moment. “Are you well acquainted with my husband, Inuyasha?”
“Everyone knows Inuyasha,” Shirame said airily. “He's got a bit of a temper, but he's a nice enough fellow, most of the time.” She leaned forward and lowered her voice to a friendly whisper. “He can be a little impatient sometimes, though.” She sat back. “He's really strong and fast, but that's his demon blood. He's part dog demon, you know. It's funny how the dog traits show in him, but not in his brother, Sesshomaru. Sesshomaru looks more like a human than Inuyasha, except when he transforms into his demon form. He's really handsome!” Shirame sighed with a dreamy smile on her face.
Kagome wasn't sure if it was Sesshomaru's demon form or his human form that Shirame found attractive. But she was only half listening to Shirame's chatter anyway. Her mind was full of thoughts wondering what her married life was going to be like. Inuyasha had said he wouldn't mistreat her, but there were different kinds of mistreatment. She began to dread their arrival at the Demon Lord's castle.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Inuyasha wondered if he should feel different, now that he was a married man. He didn't really feel any different, except that he kept catching whiffs of Kagome's scent. He could smell her on his own skin, as well as her living scent wafting out of the wagon where she rode with the other ladies. He liked her scent. She did not reek of nose-itching perfumes like most ladies did. She smelled like fresh flowers. And she was so pretty. Of the many things for which he had not really been prepared, her beauty was the one thing that had taken him most off guard. It had also put him on the defensive. Women in general tended to look down their noses at him; pretty women even more so. He'd been teased by enough of them in his life that he avoided women most of the time now.
But now he was married to one.
As he trotted along beside his father's wagon, Inuyasha wondered what Kagome was thinking about. Was she thinking about him? Was she wishing she was still at home, and not married? Well, Inuyasha didn't want to be married either, so on that score, at least, they were even.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
The castle of the Lord of the West was indeed one of the most beautiful places Kagome had even seen. The wedding party arrived there just at sunset after a long day of travel, and everyone immediately split up to go to their own residences. The main castle itself was easily three times the size of the Higurashi residence, but not everyone lived there. There were seven other houses on the grounds as well, nestled among the vast and beautifully manicured gardens.
Inuyasha led Kagome through the gardens to one of those houses. “My father is giving you the house where my mother used to live,” he said. “It's been empty since she died.”
“You don't live there?” Kagome asked uncertainly. She couldn't tell if he was unhappy about her living in his mother's house.
“No. After my mother died, I lived in the main castle with my father and brother.”
His tone didn't betray his feelings at all. Kagome glanced at his face, but his expression told her nothing.
The house wasn't large, but it was exquisitely constructed and decorated. There was a wide smooth lawn directly in front of the house and a little patio on one side with a pond nearby. It was extremely pleasant. Under other circumstances, Kagome would have been glad to make it her home. As it was, she felt somewhat like an intruder.
They had their own servants, who prepared a meal which she and Inuyasha ate in complete silence.
But after dinner, Inuyasha said, “I have some things to do. I'll be out for a while. Don't wait up for me if you're tired.” And he left without waiting for her to respond.
Kagome did wait up for him for a while, but eventually it became clear that he was not going to return that night. She went to bed alone.
She went to bed alone every night. Inuyasha always joined her for dinner, but he always had “something to do” right after and he never returned until the following day. Kagome finally accepted the fact that he really didn't want to be married, and this was his solution to the problem.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Inuyasha had thought it wouldn't bother him having Kagome living in his mother's house, but it did. He hated going in there. All the rooms reminded him of her, and of how much he missed her. He felt terribly guilty leaving Kagome alone every night, but he just couldn't bring himself to sleep under that roof again. So he slept in a tree outside, where he could at least keep a close eye on her.
He could tell she was upset by his behavior, but he couldn't bring himself to explain it to her. He didn't like talking to people about his mother. But he told himself it was just as well. There was no point in pretending they had a real marriage. He was a half-demon and Kagome was a human woman. There was no way she wanted to bind herself to someone like him.
But when he saw her one night watching him from the window of her bedroom, he couldn't help but wonder. Was it possible that a woman like Kagome would accept a life with him?
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Kagome had lunch with Shirame nearly every day. Sometimes, Shirame would come to her house, and sometimes Kagome would go to the house Shirame's family shared with another family.
One pleasant afternoon in early summer, just over two months after Kagome's arrival at the castle, they were having lunch at Kagome's house.
“This is such a beautiful day!” Shirame exclaimed. “You are so lucky to have moved here this year. It was so dry last year.”
“It is very beautiful,” Kagome agreed. They were sitting on her patio, which overlooked the small pond and was shaded by flowering trees. “I think Inuyasha must enjoy it. He frequently spends the night outdoors.” She said it casually, trying not to sound like it bothered her.
“Yes, he does that a lot,” Shirame said. “He doesn't seem to like being indoors that much. If it's not raining or cold, he's usually outside.”
“I enjoy the fresh air also,” Kagome said, “although I prefer to enjoy the night air by sleeping with my window open.”
“Me, too.” Then Shirame frowned slightly and she pursed her lips. “If he's been sleeping outdoors, though…”
“Oh, it's nothing to worry about!” Kagome said quickly. She laughed lightly, hoping it didn't sound forced. “I do not want him to change his habits because of me.”
“But you're married!” Shirame protested. “He should at least spend time with you. I mean…” Shirame trailed off with a flush. She bowed her head quickly. “Forgive me, Kagome! That was impertinent.”
“It's all right, Shirame.” Kagome sighed. “Maybe he should spend time with me, but I don't think he wants to. He told me he didn't want to be married.”
“He said that?!” Shirame squeaked in astonishment. “But you are so pretty!”
“I don't think my appearance matters to Inuyasha.” Kagome signed again. “I think I am just a burden to him.”
“But still…”
“Let's change the subject,” Kagome said. She tried to smile. “My life is not so bad, really. I have my own home and servants. What more could a lady want?”
Shirame didn't answer, but Kagome could still tell what she was thinking, because it was the same thing she was thinking herself. She was thinking that Kagome should have her husband by her side.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Kagome woke in the middle of the night, certain that someone was in the room with her. She lay still, wondering if Inuyasha had finally decided to join her. Stealthy footsteps crept across the floor of the room, not toward her, but toward the corner where she kept the Shikon Jewel. Kagome sat up quickly, drawing in her breath to shout, and a hand clamped over her mouth. At the same time, a thick arm encircled her waist and she was jerked to her feet. Kagome struggled, kicking her feet and flailing her arms in an effort to break free, but the arms holding her were like steel bands. She couldn't break their hold.
She felt the Jewel moving and Kagome began to panic. The Shikon Jewel was being stolen! And then her captor began dragging her toward the door, and Kagome realized she was being kidnapped as well. The hand over her mouth was also partially blocking her nose and Kagome realized she couldn't breathe properly. She began to feel lightheaded and her struggles weakened.
“Kagome!”
Kagome recognized Inuyasha's shout an instant before she was knocked to the floor. The man holding her went sprawling and she broke free, rolling over onto her back as her captor leapt up and bolted out the door. In a single bound, Inuyasha landed in a crouch straddling her and his sword flashed out. Kagome struggled to draw a breath.
“The Jewel!” she gasped out. “They're stealing the Shikon Jewel!”
“Dammit!” Inuyasha snarled. He dashed after the bandits, but Kagome could feel the Jewel receding at an alarming pace. She pushed to her feet and staggered after him.
Kagome stumbled out into the garden. Inuyasha was standing in the middle of the lawn staring up at the sky. Then he sheathed his sword and turned to stalk angrily toward her.
“Are you hurt, Kagome?” he demanded.
“No, but they took the Jewel!” Kagome responded desperately. “We must get it back!”
Inuyasha shook his head impatiently. “They flew away on a demon,” he said harshly. “We can't catch them. Did you see them?”
Kagome shook her head. Tears sprang into her eyes. She had failed! The Shikon Jewel was her responsibility. It had never occurred to her to lock the Jewel away. Her grandmother never had. Inuyasha folded his arms across his chest and stared at her. Kagome couldn't meet his eyes. The Shikon Jewel was her dowry. Without it, she was of little value. Losing it gave Inuyasha the right to annul their marriage.
“I'd better go talk to Father,” Inuyasha said, and he left without another word.
Kagome sank to her knees. If she cost her family the bride-price, could she even go home?
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Inuyasha wondered if his father ever slept. He was awake when Inuyasha arrived at his door.
“Father, the Shikon Jewel has been stolen!”
“Has it?” the Demon Lord didn't seem particularly upset.
“I thought you wanted to control it!” Inuyasha exclaimed.
“I said I wanted to control its destiny, and for that one must control Kagome. Only she has the gift to awaken the Jewel's power.” The Demon Lord smiled slightly. “I suspect the one who stole it doesn't truly understand that.”
“Don't you want to get it back?”
“Shouldn't you be asking yourself that, Inuyasha? Kagome is your wife, making the Shikon Jewel your property. I think it is your responsibility to get it back.”
“Mine?!” Inuyasha was dumbfounded. “I never wanted the damn thing in the first place!”
“Nevertheless, it's yours now, so I think you should go and retrieve it.”
Inuyasha stared at his father, not wanting to believe what he was hearing. “How am I supposed to do that?” he demanded finally. “I don't even know who took it.”
His father smiled. “I'm sure you'll figure out a way.”
Inuyasha turned on his heel and stamped out of the room. This was ridiculous! First he was forced into a marriage he didn't want, and now he was being sent on a damned errand to find and retrieve some stupid artifact that he had no interest in. And how was he supposed to find the damn thing?
He stalked back to Kagome's house seething with fury. It was all her fault! Why hadn't she locked the Jewel away somewhere? Then Inuyasha stopped in his tracks. Kagome could sense the Shikon Jewel! He could use her to track it. And once he had the damn thing back, he would confront his father about this whole sham marriage.
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
Kagome had gotten dressed by the time Inuyasha returned. He stalked into the house, his face dark with anger, and Kagome immediately dropped to her knees in a deep bow.
“Please, forgive me, my husband!” she said quickly. “I know I should have locked the Jewel away, but no one has ever tried to steal it before.”
“That doesn't do us any good now,” he snapped back. “Father says I have to go and get it, and you're going with me.”
Kagome sat up in surprise. “Me? But why? Whoever took the Jewel cannot use it.”
“We don't know that for certain,” Inuyasha said. “For all we know, it's just an old wives tale that says only you can awaken it. I'd just as soon not found out that's so when some madman uses it to destroy half the world. So you're going with me.” He started to leave.
Kagome's cheeks grew hot and she stood up. “It is not an old wives tale! You don't know what you're talking about!”
Inuyasha turned around slowly. “What did you say?” he growled. Unlike a human man, he didn't clench his fists when he was angry. He flexed his hands, spreading the fingers out and displaying his sharp white claws.
Kagome tried not to flinch. “I said you don't know what you're talking about. And you can't force me to go with you, either. I'm not your property, I'm your wife.”
“Ha!” Inuyasha laughed harshly. “Being my wife makes you my property! You'll do as I say and I don't want to hear any complaints. Understand?”
“But it doesn't make any sense for me to go!” she cried. Her voice sounded shrill to her own ears.
Inuyasha growled, deep in his throat. He closed the distance between them in two quick strides, until he was standing directly in front of her. For the first time, Kagome was afraid of him, but she didn't move. Inuyasha glared at her, his golden eyes burning into her skin. He reached out and gripped her shoulder, his sharp claws digging into her flesh. She looked away from his harsh glare and tried not to let the pain show.
“You can sense the Shikon Jewel,” Inuyasha said in a low, angry voice. “I can find it much faster with you along.” His claws dug in a little deeper as his grip tightened. “Do you think I want to drag a damn woman along with me? I never wanted to be married in the first place! So just shut up and do as I tell you. You're going with me and that's final.”
Kagome felt defeated. She really didn't have any choice. Her marriage vows obligated her to be obedient to his will. If he didn't care about putting her in danger, she had no choice but to obey him. She nodded and he released her.
“Good,” Inuyasha said. “I'll have Father give you a maid to take along. I don't know anything about looking after a fine lady.” He stalked away.
Kagome looked after him, rubbing her shoulder where his claws had gouged her. She could feel dampness under the cloth of her kimono. He'd drawn blood.
They departed later that morning on foot. Kagome was already tired. After being awakened in the middle of the night, she had not gone back to sleep. Faced now with the prospect of walking all day, she was nearly in tears. The middle-aged woman who had been assigned to accompany them as her companion trudged along beside her in silence.
Inuyasha marched ahead of them, setting a brisk pace. Kagome knew she would not be able to maintain it long, and she dreaded the moment when she would have to ask him to slow down. Or worse yet, when she needed to stop and rest. Every time his eyes fell on her, she could feel the burning anger in his glare. He was furious. He hated her. Kagome felt the first tear slide down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. Then another tear fell, and another, and she couldn't wipe them all from her cheeks.
“Are you all right, child?” Kaede, her companion, asked.
Kagome could only nod. She didn't trust her voice.
“Inuyasha is not a bad man,” Kaede said. “When his anger cools, he can be reasoned with.”
“But it's my fault,” Kagome whispered in a choked voice. “He had to marry me because of the Jewel, and now he must go after it because I lost it.”
“Perhaps so, but give him time. He'll come to realize you are not to blame.”
Kagome doubted that.
Ahead of them, Inuyasha stopped and turned to wait for them.
“You're slow,” he snarled when they caught up with him.
“I'm sorry, Inuyasha,” Kagome said. “I did not get much sleep last night.”
He did not look like he was going to accept this excuse, but then Kaede spoke up.
“I am not a young woman, Lord Inuyasha. Your pace is too fast for me. For my sake, could you not walk a little slower?”
Inuyasha frowned at her. “I suppose, but we'll never get anywhere at this rate.” He looked at Kagome. “Can you tell which way to go?”
Kagome closed her eyes for a moment. Her sense of the Jewel was terribly faint, but she could still feel it if she focused. “It's that way.” She pointed first and then opened her eyes. Her finger was pointing across country, away from the road.
Inuyasha looked in the direction she pointed and shrugged. “Let's go.” He led the way off the road and into open country.