InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome and Kikyo: Across Time ❯ It Started With a Well ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Kagome slipped on her shoes and bolted out the front door. It had been far too long since she had seen her friends in the feudal era. She clutched onto her bag tightly while racing into the well house. Kagome stared down at the well admiringly. This was what connected her to InuYasha and the others - this was what brought them all together. It was hard to believe that something so insignificant could have such a huge affect. She smiled sweetly before jumping into the well.
Once again, the mysterious light engulfed her, just as it did so many times before, its purple glow surrounding her with warmth. Suddenly Kagome felt something tugging on the large jewel shard she hung around her neck. It wouldn't stop. She tried pulling back, however unsuccessful. The necklace broke. Kagome gasped while watching it slip away from her. Fear grew within her, realizing that she was still going through the portal. What could she do? The anxiety welled up within her, drowning her. The purple glow turned black with violet streaks shooting out of it. The beams began zapping Kagome rapidly as she fell into a deep, dark pit. She let out an agonizing scream before loosing consciousness and being granted release from the pain.
She awoke many hours later at the bottom of the well. Despite still being sore, Kagome climbed up the thick vines at the side of the well. Upon surfacing she realized that the place she was at wasn't the same as the feudal era she was so fond of. Yes, it looked the same. However, there was something about it that didn't sit well with her. Still, she put her heel on the lip of the well and lifted herself up. The grass was the same, and so were the trees. So why did she feel a sense of uneasy, she wondered as she walked in a daze. The sights and sounds of the forest of InuYasha hadn't changed. Even so, it just wasn't the same as she remembered.
Before she had realized it, she had arrived at the sacred tree. Kagome inched closer in order to feel its bark. This was her favorite place to be. It held all of her fondest memories, of this time and of hers. No matter what time she was in, it always made her feel at peace. She touched it gently and couldn't help but grin. Then she noticed the hole that had been left behind from Kikyou's sacred arrow had disappeared. It couldn't just disappear. And besides, it held the memory of the first time she had met InuYasha. Back when all of this started on her sixteenth birthday...
Her thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice.
“Who goes there?” Kikyou asked in a stern yet subtle tone. Kagome turned around to see the miko pointing an arrow at her, aiming straight for her heart. Kikyou was ready to fire. She didn't know what to say, so she simply stood there, frozen. “Answer me!” she commanded.
“Kikyou it's me, Kagome!” she stated while standing in place, too afraid to move. The priestess studied her closely with curiosity.
“Kagome? I've never heard of such a name. Still, you don't seem to be demonic. Tell me; are you after the jewel of four souls?” She was still focused on Kagome, not looking away even once.
Kagome was shocked. After the jewel? The jewel of four souls was shattered into shard fragments. Kagome had been collecting them, but Kikyou was acting as if she were still its protector.
“I'm not after the jewel, Kikyou. I don't understand what's going on right now. I need to see InuYasha.” She explained. Kikyou became even more suspicious than before.
“InuYasha? You mean that half breed? Well then, follow me.” she ordered softly while turning around and heading away from the village. Kagome paused for a moment, and then followed quickly behind.
During that brief walk, she had thought a lot about her current situation. Kikyou acted as though she still protected the sacred jewel. Even more so, she didn't seem to remember her. Why? Besides that, what had happened to her part of the jewel? The last thing she could remember was it falling away from her back at the well, but then what? It wasn't with her in the well when she awoke. And what pulled the shard away from her? It made no sense! There was nobody there and yet she could sense a familiar presence.
As they walked away, she glanced back at the sacred tree. Something was telling her to stay. It told her not the leave, as if she was in some kind of danger. But she couldn't just stay put. What if InuYasha knew what was going on? Then what would she do? Besides that, she missed him dearly. Because of multiple exams she had stayed in her time to study for over two weeks, and was becoming lonely. Even though she was surrounded by her friends and Houjo, it just wasn't the same. It didn't feel like home.
Kikyou paused and turned around with a smile.
“There is the mighty half demon which you seek.” she stated happily, attempting to hide her joy. Kagome didn't understand at first, but as her eyes peered upwards she knew what the priestess meant. InuYasha was lying in a tree, sound asleep. He looked like a sleeping child, dreaming peacefully after a long day. When Kagome looked at him, she didn't see the half demon that everyone else saw. No, all she could see was a handsome boy sleeping in a tree - nothing more, nothing less. She wanted only to stare at him, but as her gaze turned to Kikyou, she saw the same longing in her eyes. Kikyou did love InuYasha, more so than Kagome knew. As she went deep into thought, she heard moaning coming from the other direction. InuYasha was waking.